Should I Stick Around and See?

kittiekat

My boyfriend of two years says he wants to marry me. (not official as of yet)We are 20-21 years old and in college and are very much in love.

The things that concern me when I start thinking long term about this relationship, is the fact that he is completely irresponsible with his money. He buys expensive things that he WANTS not needs, he constantly overdraws his bank account, and he goes over the limit on his credit cards.

We also attend a school that that is rather expensive and we would have a high amount of student loans to pay if we got married. Please note that I am not looking to get married right now lol. I'm thinking 26-27 years old when I tie the knot.

I am very unsure about committing myself to him based on these observations. But I also understand that for some, college is like a trial and error when it comes to dealing with finances and some people's behavior in college doesn't reflect their behavior in real life situations. What do you guys think I should do? :perplexed

My boyfriend of two years says he wants to marry me. (not official as of yet)We are 20-21 years old and in college and are very much in love.

The things that concern me when I start thinking long term about this relationship, is the fact that he is completely irresponsible with his money. He buys expensive things that he WANTS not needs, he constantly overdraws his bank account, and he goes over the limit on his credit cards.

We also attend a school that that is rather expensive and we would have a high amount of student loans to pay if we got married. Please note that I am not looking to get married right now lol. I'm thinking 26-27 years old when I tie the knot.

I am very unsure about committing myself to him based on these observations. But I also understand that for some, college is like a trial and error when it comes to dealing with finances and some people's behavior in college doesn't reflect their behavior in real life situations. What do you guys think I should do? :perplexed

Wait it out. And his current financial actions arent going to change anytime soon.

Wait it out. And his current financial actions arent going to change anytime soon.

yea I kinda just wanna keep that door open, but just watch and observe what he does when we get out of college

My dad basically screwed up his credit and then my mother's as well so naturally im just really worried about how my guy handles his finances.

yea I kinda just wanna keep that door open, but just watch and observe what he does when we get out of college

My dad basically screwed up his credit and then my mother's as well so naturally im just really worried about how my guy handles his finances.

Kudos to you for being so perceptive. Watch that credit chica!:yep: Folks divorce over money all the time and there is no need for it to be a problem for you when you see how it is from jump.

Communicate ur concerns and wait and see - not to be condescending (I can say this now because I am out of my 20s :grin:) but u both r very young and I think its great that u r not ready to rush into marriage. Have fun being with him but make sure you dream, set some goals for your future, and be flexible enough to change up when needed. If he evolves financially u will know but if he doesn't just be real about what u will or will not live with.

Nope :nono:
If you get married, it will negatively impact the household finances and cause ridiculous arguments.

Maybe attend some sort of financial planning/management classes together.

Back