Should Christians Listen To Hip-Hop?

classimami713 said:
I agree that some songs that used to be my JAM a few years ago (yes, I said jam!) are borderline sickening to me. That being said, I am mentally strong enough to know that the things I hear in song do not represent my reality, and my beliefs. I like to dance and hip hop provides a good beat.

I think kids today are much more vulnerable to do the things they hear in songs because they don't know how to differentiate between the music world and reality.

Piggy backing on you and Poohbear, I USED to be a big R-Kelly fan, but now, when ever I am driving and that song "Kitchen" comes on, I turn the station.

And do y'all feel that some songs may not be appropriate for a single Christian woman but are okay when she and her hubby are getting their groove on? :lol:

classimami713 said:
And do y'all feel that some songs may not be appropriate for a single Christian woman but are okay when she and her hubby are getting their groove on? :lol:

Well I have a good friend who couldn't listen to the "Pied Piper" (R-Kelly) while she was engaged/single because she said it "did something" to her, but I do remember her mentioning that when she got married she would be enjoying that with her husband, (the keys in the ignition and what not)

She's married now, so I guess she gets to enjoy the "Kitchen" song.

Is Kanye considered a Christian artist? I thought he was considered secular. Not the faith he professes, the music category. Just asking.

Thank you so much for this thread! :clap:

This is really ministering to me. About 98% of the time, I listen to Christian music (christian reggae, modern gospel, & etc.). Now, the other 2% (referred to as secular music) is me flipping through radio channels, listening to my India, Jill Scott, or other non-Christian reggae. I DO notice my mood when I'm listening to the secular music. The words do have an affect on you, as I have gradually started paying more attention to this. Wow! Satan has his ways. The Holy Spirit convicts me as I'm listening, because either:
a) I don't listen long, or
b) I get this deep unsatisfied, grouchy, dampened angry feeling

After reading this thread, I see no reason why I need to listen to any more secular music. It's unnecessary. ;)

stcsweet said:

This is really ministering to me. About 98% of the time, I listen to Christian music (christian reggae, modern gospel, & etc.). Now, the other 2% (referred to as secular music) is me flipping through radio channels, listening to my India, Jill Scott, or other non-Christian reggae. I DO notice my mood when I'm listening to the secular music. The words do have an affect on you, as I have gradually started paying more attention to this. Wow! Satan has his ways. The Holy Spirit convicts me as I'm listening, because either:

After reading this thread, I see no reason why I need to listen to any more secular music. It's unnecessary. ;)
Same here! I realized this after reading this thread too.

Also the Bible says "Make a joyful noise UNTO THE LORD." Yes, music is okay but I don't think rap, hip-hop, and some other music out there makes a joyful noise unto the Lord. :nono:

And you know what? Listening to gospel and Christian music can be so uplifting to the spirit. I notice when I listen to secular music, you think about so many bad things, even though you're not going to act on those thoughts. It's just not good for a Christian spirit.

Thanks for starting this thread! :up:

Koffie said:
Piggy backing on you and Poohbear, I USED to be a big R-Kelly fan, but now, when ever I am driving and that song "Kitchen" comes on, I turn the station.
Yeah, I used to be a big fan of Avant but all he talks about is sexual stuff.
Oh yeah! Remember how I said I was gonna listen to the gospel channel on my radio? Well I have a CD player that was put in my truck and it doesnt have the AM option, it only has FM. I can't find any Christian music on FM. :( You know how AM has some gospel channels. I'm gonna just go buy some gospel CDs of some gospel singers I like to listen to. :yep:

I've truly enjoyed reading this thread. What do you ladies think about artists like Lauryn Hill? Is the life of the artist as important, when deciding whether to listen to her/him, as the lyrics in the song/album you might be listening to?

Pooh and stcsweet, I've experienced similar feelings listening to the radio - a lot of it is just bad musically, regardless of content, anyway. As for "Jesus Walks," I had no idea there was swearing in it!:eek:

Dutchess said:
Look at it like this. If you know what the scriptures say about being unclean and anything morally wrong, then wouldn't you want to give Hip-Hop music some serious thought. Is there profanity in the lyrics? Do the lyrics bring praise or honor to God? Could you listen to that kind of music in your place and worship? Do the lyrics promote Satan and his lies? Do the lyrics glorify Satan or God? You know that God's eyes see everything and of course his ears hear everything too, so could you be comfortable reading your Bible with Hip-Hop music playing in the background. It's a contradiction. The scriptures say that you cannot slave for two Masters.
Very good questions for thought! :up:

Nyambura said:
I've truly enjoyed reading this thread. What do you ladies think about artists like Lauryn Hill? Is the life of the artist as important, when deciding whether to listen to her/him, as the lyrics in the song/album you might be listening to?

Pooh and stcsweet, I've experienced similar feelings listening to the radio - a lot of it is just bad musically, regardless of content, anyway. As for "Jesus Walks," I had no idea there was swearing in it!:eek:

I love Lauryn :up:
She's a true artist.

I don't think the life of the artist is necessarily important. . .cause that may not have anything to do with the song. I think it would be hard to weed out music based on an artist's life 'cause do we ever really know what's going on with a celebrity?

For me a lot of music is another form of entertainment. I love my old school r&B, jazz, and people like maroon 5. But I can't listen to a lot of hip hop anymore. Nice beat or not. I'm tired of the lyrics, and half of them really aren't talking about anything of value. Do I want to spend time listening to 50cents ideologies or learn more about God? I am also starting to notice that I can listen to music but after awhile I need to drown myself in praise and worship to feed my soul.

classimami713 said:
Yes. Most definitely.

Nyambura said:

No I don't think so. A lot of the Christian artist may not be truly living for God. If people can sin while going to Church 3-5x a week, they can do it while creating his music.

This thread gives me a lot to think about. I like the beats of hip hop but I do not listen frequently due to the nature of the lyrics. I love Neosoul and Jazz but the lyrics conflict with my belief of how my life should be lived. I am shocked that I never realized what Jill Scott was saying. I love her music but now I have second thoughts. Sure enough my music selection in the future is changing.

stcsweet said:

You hit it right on the nose, stcsweet. :up:

Cinna brought the "Truth Behind Hip Hop & R&B Music" w/ Rev. G. Craig Lewis over to my place over the weekend, and it has opened my eyes. :shocked: I never knew the truth behind the Jay-Z's "HOVA" song and I've been sining that song for God knows how long. :nono:

I've thrown away ALL my rap, hip hop, etc. cd's and have replaced them with gospel music. I never knew there were so many gospel artists out there. :)

But after watching Rev. G. Criag Lewis's sermon, I've realized that what I listen to had a GREAT impact on what comes from out of my mouth. In other words "TRASH IN, TRASH OUT" :swearing:

sugaplum said:
You hit it right on the nose, stcsweet. :up:

Cinna brought the "Truth Behind Hip Hop & R&B Music" w/ Rev. G. Craig Lewis over to my place over the weekend, and it has opened my eyes. :shocked: I never knew the truth behind the Jay-Z's "HOVA" song and I've been sining that song for God knows how long. :nono:

I've thrown away ALL my rap, hip hop, etc. cd's and have replaced them with gospel music. I never knew there were so many gospel artists out there. :)

But after watching Rev. G. Criag Lewis's sermon, I've realized that what I listen to had a GREAT impact on what comes from out of my mouth. In other words "TRASH IN, TRASH OUT" :swearing:

Where can I get "Truth Behind Hip Hop and R&B Music"? Is it sold in stores? What is the truth behind Jay-Z's "HOVA" song? I love Jay-Z's music and I'm curious. I am a Christian but I admit that I'm struggling in my walk. I still listen to secular music. I'm growing but I still have a lot of work to do.

blaxalrose said:
Kanye's song wasn't a gospel song....of course...my point is that I don't think everything is a profane as some folks make it out to be. I think folks like C. Delores Tucker and Rev. Calvin Butts do more than drive folks to the music they think is evil than to keep them away from them. I don't know, I love hip-hop and I don't see anything evil with the artist I love. I love me some Common, Talib, Mos Def, TI, Jay-Z. The artists that I grew up listening to, I think were awesome folks. I guess everyone has a different view. There are some folks who hate Aretha Franklin , Bobby Womack, and Sam Cooke because they started out singing gospel. There are folks who hate Kirk Franklin and Vicki Winans for being too contemporary. I do think sometimes church folks are a little too self-righteous about things, yes I do think the violence and degredation of women in hip-hop is sad. That's in all music and aspects of society. But I don't think leaving the music is going to change it. That's why I support artist who are about something different in the game. I think there are people like Common, Mos, Talib, Lauren, Wyclef who have things to say. It seems like if an artist isn't a Gospel artist, some would think they cannot love God. I don't think that's true.

I see you point.

But for me leaving this kind of music has given me a greater since of what is going into MY Holy Temple. And I agree that leaving the music will not change it, but I don't have to glorify it either. :)

You see, everytime I buy this music I'm glorifying this lifestyle, then I think to myself that car, bling-bling that they wear and the half-naked women in the videos, I paid for.:(

The Bible says in 1 Thess 5:22 to avoid every kind of evil.

I just find it interesting how Jay-Z is calling himself Jayhova now- also known as Jahova "God." And I did not realize this but when I was raising my hands and shouting to this song I was worshipping him as Jayhova. He is flat-out calling himself God and that just does not sit right with me. :nono: But to each their own.

SoniT said:
Where can I get "Truth Behind Hip Hop and R&B Music"? Is it sold in stores? What is the truth behind Jay-Z's "HOVA" song? I love Jay-Z's music and I'm curious. I am a Christian but I admit that I'm struggling in my walk. I still listen to secular music. I'm growing but I still have a lot of work to do.

Hello SoniT :wave:

I answered your question on my previous post, and to get the DVD you can go to www.exministries.com

The DVD that we are talking about is part one. He will be coming to my church this weekend and I can get a copy for you if you would like.

PM me :)

Poohbear said:
Hey ladies, what do you all think of old school music or oldies????

I hope no one says anything about this, 'cause I really like it.

But the funny thing is that I was listening to Chaka Khan's "Sweet Thang"
and I turned it 'cause something in me felt that the lyrics were more suitable for married folks.

Poohbear said:

The Rev. G. Craig Lewis mentioned the same thing on the dvd I saw and I agree 100%. :up: I threw all of that ol'school and back-in-theday music out becuase it still spoke about sex, lust, pain, and things like that.

What was also interesting about what he spoke on was the writing behind the songs. For example, the song "Thank you for letting me be myself" (I'm sorry I don't know the song title), but the lead gutarist of the group testified and said the band shot heroine for days to come up with the lyrics for the song!! :shocked:

Also George Clinton wrote the lyrics to "Stomp" which is why it is played in the clubs. :nono:

It just a matter of doing the research on what you listen too. And it's more then just the beats...you can put beats on a gospel song and it will be 100 times better then beats on a secular album. :)

Poohbear said:

You ask such good questions Poohbear. :) I love them

As for me with the oldies I had quite a few of them but I got rid of them because they did not edify Christianity. :nono: For me it depends on who they are singing too. :ohwell:

sugaplum said:
The Rev. G. Craig Lewis mentioned the same thing on the dvd I saw and I agree 100%. :up: I threw all of that ol'school and back-in-theday music out becuase it still spoke about sex, lust, pain, and things like that.

What was also interesting about what he spoke on was the writing behind the songs. For example, the song "Thank you for letting me be myself" (I'm sorry I don't know the song title), but the lead gutarist of the group testified and said the band shot heroine for days to come up with the lyrics for the song!! :shocked:

Also George Clinton wrote the lyrics to "Stomp" which is why it is played in the clubs. :nono:

It just a matter of doing the research on what you listen too. And it's more then just the beats...you can put beats on a gospel song and it will be 100 times better then beats on a secular album. :)

There it is.......

Gotta stop with that('ol school music) too. :(

Cinnabuns said:

As for me with the oldies I had quite a few of them but I got rid of them because they did not edify Christianity. :nono: For me it depends on who they are singing too. :ohwell:

this is true.

i.e.

Mrs. Jones= Adultery

Woman to Woman = I'm gon' fight you over a man that I'm shackin up with. She never said she was married to him :ohwell: (I never liked this song) :down:

Lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right= Adultery

I be STROKIN= fornication

Cinnabuns said:

I just find it interesting how Jay-Z is calling himself Jayhova now- also known as Jahova "God." And I did not realize this but when I was raising my hands and shouting to this song I was worshipping him as Jayhova. He is flat-out calling himself God and that just does not sit right with me. :nono: But to each their own.

Not arguing either which way but Jay-Z is supposedly nicknamed Jay-hova not because he is saying he is God but hat he is the God MC or God of rap.

Not saying thats right or wrong :)

sugaplum said:

Well, I'm talking about old school songs and oldies that don't talk about sexual, painful, loneliness, etc. I can't think of any songs right off the bat but songs that are similar to Fresh Prince of Bel Air's theme song. Those songs that sound kinda like nursery rhymes or something...I dunno how to explain it! :lol:

Cinnabuns said:

Yes, there are some old school songs and oldies that do not give God glory. :up:

I mentioned nursery rhymes in my previous post... what about them? What are they considered? Should children be listening to "Puff the Magic Dragon" "Three Blind Mice" "Mary Had A Little Lamb" "London Bridges Falling Down"? :grin:

If we want to be COMPLETELY non-secular, should we let children listen to little Christian songs like "Father Abraham" "The B-I-B-L-E" "Ezekiel Saw The Wheel" "Jesus Loves Me" etc.???

Koffie said:
this is true.

i.e.

Mrs. Jones= Adultery

Woman to Woman = I'm gon' fight you over a man that I'm shackin up with. She never said she was married to him :ohwell: (I never liked this song) :down:

Lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right= Adultery

I be STROKIN= fornication
Great examples. :up:

My roommate had mentioned a DVD where this reverend talks about subliminal messages in hip-hop and R&B. He was talking about witches chanting in songs. He even mentioned how Color Me Badd's "I wanna sex you up" made quite a few girls lose their virginity.

Is this the same DVD?

-Ebony

Back