Short Haired Ladies Support...Nape Length and Shorter!!

For us shorties. K.I.S.S. is the best thing I ever did. I tried the MN method and my scalp became sore, itchy and I had a terrible head ache.:wallbash: So I started back to my usual.:blush: CW 3x wkly w/baking soda use design essentials conditioner wash 1x monthly with design essential shampoo, and aphagee monthly (always follow up with a good conditioner). I even tried the motions cpr not good for my hair. I love castor oil. When I was using the MN my hair became dry and that's when I started to see the little shedding. I did a castor oil treatment last night and my hair is back shiny and healthy looking. I also picked up some leave in conditioner. I tried procclaim but I did not like it. I picked up the crew leave in treatment. It has sun screen in it. It felt good and my hair loves it.

My hair is a moisture prostitute.:grin: I can not try alot of the other methods (tried them) because they don't work for me. My hair craves moistures and because it is short and the castor oil is thick is lays my back down and my sides where I don't have to perm the back and sides to get them to lay down, and it leaves your hair feeling soft and shiney.

PS. If u use it as a hot oil treatment make sure you rinse really good. It will leave your hair feeling soft and looking siky.:drunk: If use castor oil get it from a health food store where it is 100% pure.

Products
Design Essential Shampoo and conditioner
Baking Soada
Crew Leave in conditioner
Castor Oil, pepermint oil, rosemary oil, basil oil and lavendar oil

Hang in there ladies, you can do it! I was a shorty for YEARS and finally broke the cycle after joining LHCF and going natural. It can be done!:yep: Stay positive.

Hang in there ladies, you can do it! I was a shorty for YEARS and finally broke the cycle after joining LHCF and going natural. It can be done!:yep: Stay positive.

:amen:
Thanks! We short-haired ladies need the positive reinforcement and encouragement of the long-haired ladies. I'm feel a little shut out sometime. For instance, I posted pics and only 5 people commented but another person posted pics (whose hair was longer) and she got a lot more feedback....maybe it's because i'm a newbie and people don't know me? It shouldn't matter...we're all here to uplift one another.

:amen:
Thanks! We short-haired ladies need the positive reinforcement and encouragement of the long-haired ladies. I'm feel a little shut out sometime. For instance, I posted pics and only 5 people commented but another person posted pics (whose hair was longer) and she got a lot more feedback....maybe it's because i'm a newbie and people don't know me? It shouldn't matter...we're all here to uplift one another.

You just keep posting those pics:yep:. Like you said sometimes newbies get overlooked and sometimes people kind of ignore short hair unless it is super duper fly cut, shiny, extra heathy, pretty color, etc. I mean the bar is set high for shorter hair, but who cares, just keep posting. At one point I never posted pics until a member encouraged me to post, for a long time I felt like my hair just wasn't long or pretty enough compared to the other ladies around here. You have a lovely cut by the way and it's looks healthy and nice and thick:).

Short haired ladies will prevail!!!! We WILL hit our goals! We WILL remain encouraged and we WILL be consistant with our regimen!!!!!

I think your hair look good. I to have short hair.:look: I haven't perm since thanksgiving. I've been using mtg twice a week. I shampoo with mtg and use Garnier Fructis cond. and Frutis leave-in cond. I mixed shea butter,extra virgin olive oil,castor oil,grapeseed oil,vita-e oil, coconut oil mix
all
together plus a squirt of leave-in. And oil my hair. all my oils I just use about 3 to 4 drops. I seal my ends with olive oil. this works for me. I have about 3 ilches of new growth. I'm looking to strecth about 6 to 8 inches by june. Keep up the good work ladies. Looking good:yep:

Hey Daephae...if you ever feel disregarded, just come here!!! :grin: I and I think many others appreciate the progress that others may think is insignificant. I know I do. I love it when I see one of my fellow short haired ladies go from NL to SL. It gives me hope. :yep:

For us shorties. K.I.S.S. is the best thing I ever did. I tried the MN method and my scalp became sore, itchy and I had a terrible head ache.:wallbash: So I started back to my usual.:blush: CW 3x wkly w/baking soda use design essentials conditioner wash 1x monthly with design essential shampoo, and aphagee monthly (always follow up with a good conditioner). I even tried the motions cpr not good for my hair. I love castor oil. When I was using the MN my hair became dry and that's when I started to see the little shedding. I did a castor oil treatment last night and my hair is back shiny and healthy looking. I also picked up some leave in conditioner. I tried procclaim but I did not like it. I picked up the crew leave in treatment. It has sun screen in it. It felt good and my hair loves it.

My hair is a moisture prostitute.:grin: I can not try alot of the other methods (tried them) because they don't work for me. My hair craves moistures and because it is short and the castor oil is thick is lays my back down and my sides where I don't have to perm the back and sides to get them to lay down, and it leaves your hair feeling soft and shiney.

PS. If u use it as a hot oil treatment make sure you rinse really good. It will leave your hair feeling soft and looking siky.:drunk: If use castor oil get it from a health food store where it is 100% pure.

Products
Design Essential Shampoo and conditioner
Baking Soada
Crew Leave in conditioner
Castor Oil, pepermint oil, rosemary oil, basil oil and lavendar oil

You too??? It just irritates me sometimes. It can become dry after only 36 hours.

:hiya:Shorthairforever and wannabelong! Thanks for the encouragement. I'll be spending a LOT of time here in the next few months! We have to make sure we post pics to show our progress and keep each other motivated.

Let me ask you guys something...what is your regimen? Are you cowashing? Are you setting and if so what are you using? How often are you adding heat?

:hiya:Shorthairforever and wannabelong! Thanks for the encouragement. I'll be spending a LOT of time here in the next few months! We have to make sure we post pics to show our progress and keep each other motivated.

Let me ask you guys something...what is your regimen? Are you cowashing? Are you setting and if so what are you using? How often are you adding heat?

Here's my regimen.

Sunday:
1) pre-poo with shikakhai oil (on scalp only) and amla oil (on hair only) for 5 - 15 minutes.

2) rinse oil out with hot water (as hot as I can stand)

3) pour shikahai (1 tablesoon) and amla (2 tablepoons) powder (2 cups water) rinse on my hair

4) let sit for 5 minutes

5) rinse all powder out of hair

6) put cheap conditioner (Suave) all over hair

7) rinse conditioner out

8) deep condition for 20-30 minutes with heat, I alternate between a protein conditioner and a moisturizing conditioner.

9) rinse deep conditioner out.

10) put in leave-in conditioner

11) detangle and comb all hair to the back

12) add CHI silk infusion to hair (just little, maybe a little smaller than a dime size)

13) slick edges back with castor oil

14) put scarf on and air dry

I wear half wigs for now so I don't have to worry about styling my hair.

Thursday: Co-wash day!

1) repeat steps 3 - 7
2) skip step 8
3) finish up with steps 10-14

I hope this helps!!!! HHG!!!!!! :grin::grin:

Here's my regimen.

Sunday:
1) pre-poo with shikakhai oil (on scalp only) and amla oil (on hair only) for 5 - 15 minutes.

2) rinse oil out with hot water (as hot as I can stand)

3) pour shikahai (1 tablesoon) and amla (2 tablepoons) powder (2 cups water) rinse on my hair

4) let sit for 5 minutes

5) rinse all powder out of hair

6) put cheap conditioner (Suave) all over hair

7) rinse conditioner out

8) deep condition for 20-30 minutes with heat, I alternate between a protein conditioner and a moisturizing conditioner.

9) rinse deep conditioner out.

10) put in leave-in conditioner

11) detangle and comb all hair to the back

12) add CHI silk infusion to hair (just little, maybe a little smaller than a dime size)

13) slick edges back with castor oil

14) put scarf on and air dry

I wear half wigs for now so I don't have to worry about styling my hair.

Thursday: Co-wash day!

1) repeat steps 3 - 7
2) skip step 8
3) finish up with steps 10-14

I hope this helps!!!! HHG!!!!!! :grin::grin:

Thanks girl...about the scarf dry...i was like :blush:...OMG! :lachen: But then I saw about the wig...I'm on the fence about washing and DCing 2x a week because I don't really wanna put heat in my hair that often...I can't do the weave/wig thing either (I tried and failed miserably)...I guess I'll have to use the curlers until I get a little longer. Another board member (kels826) used to set her hair with sponge rollers when it was short. It was cute; like a curly lil fro. I may try that and it'll prob allow me to stretch longer.

Ok I am new to this and I need major help! My hair was down to my shoulders and now it is up to my chin. I had some corn rolls in not even a week before my scalp broke out in scabby flakes. I am still not sure if I had an allergic reaction to the hair or if the person doing my hair put something in it. But when i took the braids out so went my hair. No I have thick hair, so there was no thinning, but i lost about 4 inches! Now my hair nor scalp has been the same since. It is constantly dry and nothing that i used to use is working now (Neutrogena T/Gel Dandruff Shampoo,Carols Daughter, Doo Gro, Olive Oil products, and so on). What do I do? I have been natural for 4 yrs now.

Help Me Please, extremely dry brittle hair!

First pic is after, last pics before......

Attachments

• IMAGE_00395.jpg
    IMAGE_00395.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 5
  • l_06dc21f1de56b3713b704c75e1d282d0.jpg
    l_06dc21f1de56b3713b704c75e1d282d0.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 3
  • l_3097106bdb43d27fecfdb6a50bb31427.jpg
    l_3097106bdb43d27fecfdb6a50bb31427.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 4
  • m_4b07370eaef52a91536a3eb6767785b6.jpg
    m_4b07370eaef52a91536a3eb6767785b6.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Ok I am new to this and I need major help! My hair was down to my shoulders and now it is up to my chin. I had some corn rolls in not even a week before my scalp broke out in scabby flakes. I am still not sure if I had an allergic reaction to the hair or if the person doing my hair put something in it. But when i took the braids out so went my hair. No I have thick hair, so there was no thinning, but i lost about 4 inches! Now my hair nor scalp has been the same since. It is constantly dry and nothing that i used to use is working now (Neutrogena T/Gel Dandruff Shampoo,Carols Daughter, Doo Gro, Olive Oil products, and so on). What do I do? I have been natural for 4 yrs now.

Help Me Please, extreemly dry brittle hair!

((((Hugs)))))) I'm so sorry this happened to you. How long ago did this happen? I had a similiar experience with one of my last relaxers and it took my scalp and hair months to recover. Even condtioners left on too long would irritate my scalp. I also went to a derm for a prescription which helped a lot. I have found Carol's Daughter's Khoret Amen oil to be very healing for my scalp when it is aggravated. Try to be patient, your hair and scalp will heal eventually, sounds like it was traumatized.

I've been stretching my relaxers. I have been for about year. I think I only had 3 relaxers all year. As for my regimen, I try to keep it simple.

Regimen:
1. I co wash and rollerset(sometimes air dried) about every 2 weeks.
2. I moisturize with Profectiv Growth Lotion every other day.
3. I always tie my hair in a scarf at night, even though it comes off at night most of the time. :ohwell:

Brief Overview:
The Orginal Chi is the devil!!! I'm going to sell it (because I know many people love it) for a flat iron with adjustable heat settings. I haven't really flat ironed since 08 started. As an alternative to flat ironing, I've been doing a rollerset. I just started rollerseting, so it has been a challenge. I've been getting much better, though.

I used to do protein treatments religiously until I noticed breakage. I realize my breakage could have came from numerous factors. Nevertheless, I don't want to cause anymore. I probably will do a protein treatment sooner than later, but I'm still somewhat hesitant. I really stopped doing protein treatments, because I'm trying to isolate the possible breakage causes. It could be one reason or a combination. Here are some of the unhealthy practices I did in the past:
1. too much direct heat(and everything that comes with it)
2. porosity issues
3. too much protein
4. OP ends

Like it says in my siggy, I have OP ends. I was just going to chop them all off, but I decided it do it gradually at the suggestion of some of the lhcf members. My hair is much blacker, though!!! I want my hair to be the healthy dark black color that I was born with again.

Nowadays, I've been striving for healthy hair over long hair. I know I have a long ways to go with that. You probably want see too many progress pictures from me, because I'm still learning the proper regimen for my hair. I'm not disappointed by this, though. I'm learning information and taking notes as I go.

Tomorrow, I'm relaxing my hair and cutting my ends. I actually can't wait to get my ends cut.

Last edited:
Hi Ladies. This is a great thread and I have subscribed.
Now... I need some styling ideas..

I am about necklength and have been taking care of my hair since I joined LHCF in January.
My major problem is that I am a weave addict. Up until Feb I used to have weaves and braids back to back with relaxers inbetween:nono:. My hair would show some great growth... upto 3/4 or 1 inch a month but ofcourse I would not retain the length so I have been stuck at neck length. I've also experienced alot of thinning and also my edges are gone:nono:

Well now I have done away with the weaves. I am trying to do the wig challenge but to be honest I am not so comfortable with wigs on so I have been wearing my hair out, doing co-washes and deep conditioning daily. I also use BT.every other day.

My hair makes such a small pathetic ponytail so I dont want to wear that to work daily. Soooooooo I am looking for some good styling otpions and ideas... please ladies help me stay away from my flatiron. And right now I just feeling like running off to get a sew in weave.

Hi Ladies. This is a great thread and I have subscribed.
Now... I need some styling ideas..

I am about necklength and have been taking care of my hair since I joined LHCF in January.
My major problem is that I am a weave addict. Up until Feb I used to have weaves and braids back to back with relaxers inbetween:nono:. My hair would show some great growth... upto 3/4 or 1 inch a month but ofcourse I would not retain the length so I have been stuck at neck length. I've also experienced alot of thinning and also my edges are gone:nono:

Well now I have done away with the weaves. I am trying to do the wig challenge but to be honest I am not so comfortable with wigs on so I have been wearing my hair out, doing co-washes and deep conditioning daily. I also use BT.every other day.

My hair makes such a small pathetic ponytail so I dont want to wear that to work daily. Soooooooo I am looking for some good styling otpions and ideas... please ladies help me stay away from my flatiron. And right now I just feeling like running off to get a sew in weave.

Hi angenoir! Since your hair is long enough for a ponytail, I suggest you do the baggy method and add a phoney pony. The baggy method will help to preserve your ends from breakage and it's a great protective style that should allow you to add and retain some length. If you want more info do a search; there are tons of threads on baggying.

On March 5th I'll be 3 months natural and tw'd (teenie weenied since Jan. 19th Since Jan. I poo n con daily with Ojon's Ultra hydrating poo and con. I use their restorative treatment every other day or 3 otherwise, and if I don't use oil I keep the con in until the next poo. I want long hair too.

Hi angenoir! Since your hair is long enough for a ponytail, I suggest you do the baggy method and add a phoney pony. The baggy method will help to preserve your ends from breakage and it's a great protective style that should allow you to add and retain some length. If you want more info do a search; there are tons of threads on baggying.

I agree with this. Why aren't you comfortable with the wigs. I look at wigs like it'a a removable weave. The wigs have really saved my life. Maybe you just need to find one you really like. I find that half wigs are better for me. I can't find a full cap wig that looks right on me.

Have you tried tea tree oil?? Now, pure tea tree oil STANKS, but is excellent for dandruff. If you do use grease STOP. That causes major dandruff for me. I think you should try protective styling for awhile to get your hair back on track. Are you sure you saw dandruff between your braids? The white bulb follicle can actually come out of the scalp when braids are too tight. They look like dandruff sometimes, too.

I agree with this. Why aren't you comfortable with the wigs. I look at wigs like it'a a removable weave. The wigs have really saved my life. Maybe you just need to find one you really like. I find that half wigs are better for me. I can't find a full cap wig that looks right on me.

Thanks for the advice.

I will consider baggying under a phony pony... Will see how it looks. And I have some wigs I guess I just was not really so happy with how they looked. I have to hunt for something I love I guess. Also I always feel as if they are going to fall off or be blow away by the wind...

Ok. Will review my options...

Oh No! I'm sorry that this happened. I would say to go to the dermatologist if you haven't already. After that, we can help you get back on track. Now is probably not a good time to try anything new. Also, watch out for the harsh dandruff shampoos because many of them contain sulfates which are extremely drying. I've had dry scalp all my life (which I thought was dandruff) until recently. After joining the LHCF I've managed to turn my scalp around in a very short time. Knowledge is power and we'll definitely share all that we know :yep:. Keep us posted.

I'm very new to this (like 2 weeks new). I have'nt had healthy hair in about 15 years and I discovered that I actually CAN get my healthy hair back if I learn to take care of it. I just started my regimen (it'll probably change if I don't see my hair changing, but so far so good)... I co-wash with Suave Tropical Coconut humectant conditioner, then I deep condition with ORS replenishing pak. Afterwards, I use a leave-in humectant conditoner (nexxus) and wrapping lotion (ORS olive oil wrapping lotion) and i would rollerset it. If I don't feel like rollersetting, I would add coconut oil to my hair and baggy it and wear buns or ponytails for about a week.

Also, after one month I'm going to use baking soda and water (in place of clarifying shampoo) to remove all the build-up. I'm also stretching my hair. My last relaxer was January 19 and I'm not going to get another one until May 20! Hopefully the 4 month stretch will help.

I do have a question about the Phyto 2 relaxer. I've never had one and I keep hearing about it. What does it do exactly? And is it worth it?

I'm very new to this (like 2 weeks new). I have'nt had healthy hair in about 15 years and I discovered that I actually CAN get my healthy hair back if I learn to take care of it. I just started my regimen (it'll probably change if I don't see my hair changing, but so far so good)... I co-wash with Suave Tropical Coconut humectant conditioner, then I deep condition with ORS replenishing pak. Afterwards, I use a leave-in humectant conditoner (nexxus) and wrapping lotion (ORS olive oil wrapping lotion) and i would rollerset it. If I don't feel like rollersetting, I would add coconut oil to my hair and baggy it and wear buns or ponytails for about a week.

Also, after one month I'm going to use baking soda and water (in place of clarifying shampoo) to remove all the build-up. I'm also stretching my hair. My last relaxer was January 19 and I'm not going to get another one until May 20! Hopefully the 4 month stretch will help.

I do have a question about the Phyto 2 relaxer. I've never had one and I keep hearing about it. What does it do exactly? And is it worth it?

Hello and WELCOME! Your regimen sounds good so far. It's tricky finding out what works best. I'm still getting my regimen together too. Regarding the Phyto, you may want to do search (go to Advanced Search, type in PHYTO, Select: Search by Title, Select: Show as Threads)...it will bring up all kinds of info. If I can figure out how to link, I'll post it. I can say that most people seem to love it.

ok great thanks! It's also good to find some support because my hair is currently chin length and I want to reach shoulder length by august (my friend suggested that I could, hopefully it's possible). I want to have full thick shoulder length hair by december (college graduation! I want to look STUNNING in my cap and gown).

Hopefully, this regimen will work, and if not, there's always room for tweaking.

ok great thanks! It's also good to find some support because my hair is currently chin length and I want to reach shoulder length by august (my friend suggested that I could, hopefully it's possible). I want to have full thick shoulder length hair by december (college graduation! I want to look STUNNING in my cap and gown).

Hopefully, this regimen will work, and if not, there's always room for tweaking.

I can relate. I'll be receiving my MBA this summer. Unfortunately, I won't have thick shoulder length hair :nono:. Maybe you can try some growth aids to help you along...between Boundless Tresses (BT), Miconozole Nitrate (MN), and the countless others I'm sure that something would help you along.

Angelnoir, I've found some really cute half wigs that allow me to baggy my ends underneath and give my hair a rest from any manipulation. I bought my HH halfwigs from hairsisters.com. They have pretty good prices and ship very fast. Another option is a UPA clip, which I have a pic of in my fotki. Her site is www.laceflair.com. HHH!

Thanks for the advice.

I will consider baggying under a phony pony... Will see how it looks. And I have some wigs I guess I just was not really so happy with how they looked. I have to hunt for something I love I guess. Also I always feel as if they are going to fall off or be blow away by the wind...

Ok. Will review my options...

Phtyospecific Relaxer index 2 is the one I use. It is a no lye relaxer that is made from egg and soya extracts. Of course it has a chemical compund to it as well, but I find that it leaves my hair w/more thickness and it is always full of body! I love it. You can buy it at Sephora and relax yourself, or go to Phytospecific.com and find a retailer/hair salon in your area that uses the product. It is the best relaxer that I have ever had. When using no lye relaxers be prepared to chelate/clarify at least 1x month or so. Also you will need to step up your moisturizing/deep conditioning game.

I do have a question about the Phyto 2 relaxer. I've never had one and I keep hearing about it. What does it do exactly? And is it worth it?[/quote]

Back