Short Haired Ladies Support...Nape Length and Shorter!!

I'm 31 now. How did you finally retain it? Moisture? Protective styles? or consistent practices?

Well, first I went natural, no chemicals helped a lot, then I really focussed on that area, I kept it moist with s-curl, I also used Carol's Daughter Some of Maugerite's Magic, sealed with oil, and kept it braided or twisted most of the time. I don't need the CD Magic anymore, it is really heavy, but at the time my hair was soooo dry it needed all of those products and soaked them up completely by morning. I am still always extra gentle with my nape area, it still is finer, drier and kinkier than the rest of my hair, and it grows slower than the rest of my hair, BUT it grows, and I am retaining length, and it is finally very healthy. I am also very patient with my nape, I treat it like a baby.

My nape never grows. :nono:

Maybe you're already doing this but for anyone with a problem area remember to treat it differently and separately than the rest of your hair. Most of your hair may not need constant moisturizing and oiling and babying, but that section that grows slowly or is constantly breaking needs a lot more attention. Every single day you have to give it special attention and figure out what it needs: more moisture, more oil, more protection, extra gentle handling, no chemicals, if you give it what it needs (so long as there is not underlying medical problem) it will eventually flourish. Really get to know that area of your hair that is giving you problems, you will likely find that it is a completely different texture or thickness than most of your hair.

I'm right there with you all!

I am in a nape/jaw-length bob with bangs that touch mid-cheek.

I feel my hair gets to a certain length then stops. That is so frustrating. But I have faith that I can get to shoulder length by April. I'm combining my faith with works, which include staying active on this board.

I am a bit leery of going back to work this week. I've been on vacay since mid-December, which is when I renewed my hair growth journey. I am hoping that because I've spent the past week or so getting my routines down that I will be able to keep this up when I go back to work.

I think that we all will reach our hair goals if we are diligent, consistent and patient. I admit that I look at my hair daily to see if I see growth...LOL. You also have to be careful who you tell. There are always haters...even in your own fam sometimes. Or at the least, people who don't understand. I have decided to not tell anyone about what I'm doing....just let the results speak for themselves.

Adeea

Maybe you're already doing this but for anyone with a problem area remember to treat it differently and separately than the rest of your hair. Most of your hair may not need constant moisturizing and oiling and babying, but that section that grows slowly or is constantly breaking needs a lot more attention. Every single day you have to give it special attention and figure out what it needs: more moisture, more oil, more protection, extra gentle handling, no chemicals, if you give it what it needs (so long as there is not underlying medical problem) it will eventually flourish. Really get to know that area of your hair that is giving you problems, you will likely find that it is a completely different texture or thickness than most of your hair.

Thank you for the advice. I might have to cut it off. Just to get familiar with the texture and grow it out without a relaxer.

Thank you for the advice. I might have to cut it off. Just to get familiar with the texture and grow it out without a relaxer.

You're welcome. Please keep us updated, okay? You are going to break the cycle and then you will have to change your screen name:yep:.

Before this board, I figured that my "teminal" length was Neck length, even though all the women in my family on my mom's side had really long hair, including her.

So I figured that maybe the women on my dad's side had shorter hair and that's why I had shorter hair :nono:

I still don't know. I know that I won't finally believe in my hair until it proves to me that it can grow way beyond nape length, which in some parts it is.

Lord knows I need support. Its funny a year ago today i was contiplating joining LHCF with very short, unheathly hair. Well today (one year later) I am on her with very short unhealthy hair do bad relaxer that broke and caused uncontrollable shedding:wallbash:. All the progress down the drain :sad:.

Well at least I learned my hair can grow and what it needs to thrive. So I will be joining the '08 challenge so heres to a year of good health and healthy hair growing ladies....Cheers!:cheers:

Lord knows I need support. Its funny a year ago today i was contiplating joining LHCF with very short, unheathly hair. Well today (one year later) I am on her with very short unhealthy hair do bad relaxer that broke and caused uncontrollable shedding:wallbash:. All the progress down the drain :sad:.

Well at least I learned my hair can grow and what it needs to thrive. So I will be joining the '08 challenge so heres to a year of good health and healthy hair growing ladies....Cheers!:cheers:
That was my whole reason for growing out my op ends. I wanted to monitor the growth. I never really knew my hair grew. I would always have ng, but it would never get passed neck length.

I made it neck length and now the fun begins. I'm trying to stick with roller setting. I'm hoping with practice, i can lessen my heat addiction. Sadly, my hair loves heat and thrives on it. I'm trying to practice RS so my hair can grow just as used to that too.

I've been getting breakage. Do you think this would be beneficial for me, too or should I just wait until my breakage subsides and join in another challenge? Your opinions are really important to me.

I've been getting breakage. Do you think this would be beneficial for me, too or should I just wait until my breakage subsides and join in another challenge? Your opinions are really important to me.

No, no, let's try to get you at least an inch on your hair.

If there is breakage, then let's all see if we can come up with something that will help you stop the breakage. That way, you will retain the length.

Here are two things I know I must do:

Co-wash everyday!

Take my vitamins!

No, no, let's try to get you at least an inch on your hair.

If there is breakage, then let's all see if we can come up with something that will help you stop the breakage. That way, you will retain the length.

Here are two things I know I must do:

Co-wash everyday!

Take my vitamins!

I'm taking some vitamins. I guess I could cowash everyday, but I'm afraid that might cause more breakage. I know it's because of my op ends, but I don't want to cut them just yet. I'm probably going to try to do protective style until May. Then I'll cut. I've gotten breakage all of my life. I just didn't know what it was. You can see the op ends in my fotki.

I'm taking some vitamins. I guess I could cowash everyday, but I'm afraid that might cause more breakage. I know it's because of my op ends, but I don't want to cut them just yet. I'm probably going to try to do protective style until May. Then I'll cut. I've gotten breakage all of my life. I just didn't know what it was. You can see the op ends in my fotki.

I have short hair and i'm curious what type of protective style will you use?

Co-washing works very well for some people, for some of us it's just too much manipulation. If daily co-washing is too much, just keep it moisturized, be gentle with it, keep it protected and leave it alone as much as possible. I tried daily co-washing as a relaxed person and since being natural and it did not work for me, my hair was like if you don't leave me alone girl...lol.

I have short hair and i'm curious what type of protective style will you use?

I do cornrows on my own hair, and usually wear it in a scarf. I am planning on buying a wig to wear over the cornrows later on.

I wore so many braidouts last summer, but I stopped. I thought it was defeating my purpose: LOW MANIPULATION! :lachen: That was when I first joined lhcf, so I was a novice. Now, I just keep my cornrows in for a week or so. It works for now since I'm off for the holidays.

When school starts I will probably get cornrow extensions. I've had bad experience with braids, so I tend to stick with cornrows. Besides, cornrow extensions have always fit my face.

Last edited:
Co-washing works very well for some people, for some of us it's just too much manipulation. If daily co-washing is too much, just keep it moisturized, be gentle with it, keep it protected and leave it alone as much as possible. I tried daily co-washing as a relaxed person and since being natural and it did not work for me, my hair was like if you don't leave me alone girl...lol.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

That's what I'm afraid of. I probably will try it one day, but I'm somewhat hesitant.

BTW: I love your hair. The twists are soooo pretty!

Last edited:
We have to first get the hair past that length and then see what it does. I admit, I most likely will never have waistlength or MBL or even BSL length hair. I admit that, and I'm fine with that. But I know with all the growth that I get, I should be able to at least get SL or the top of SL.

I guess for everybody, it's their own personal journey. I mean of course, most of the women on this board I say probably want APL hair and beyond. But for me, if I could just get like maybe short SL, then I would be fine because that's the longest my hair would had even been in it's life.

Sorry, guys, it takes me so long to get back on this forum and then I'm hooked for hours.

Anywho, my goal is to remain healthy and get at least to brastrap length over the next couple of years. I am reaching shoulder length by the end of 2008 - I've done it before with locs. I just get all these negative comments from my mom - like do you have a weave in, or you'll never get long hair, now your sister's hair can get long but not yours, and so on. I don't even have to bring it up, she does. Just because she wears a 'ho hat' (wig, as she calls them) doesn't mean that I have to.

I'm getting a little obsessed with finding products and wrapping and baggying and proteins and blah blah. It's driving my husband crazy even though he's obsessed with finding a good home theatre right now:rolleyes:.

I vow for 2008 to have short term goals - SL - and give myself and my brain a break.

Just wanted to jump in to give you guys a :sneakyhug: and :kiss: I know it's rough trying to grow out short hair... but it definitely can be done. :yep: I haven't done it yet :lol: but I try to stay positive.

Listen/pay attention to your hair. Don't try to to do what everyone else is doing. Do what your hair responds to. :yep: It'll get there.

Oh and one thing that I still struggle with - stop looking at your hair. Find something else to get obsessed with for a little bit (still doing your normal reggie of DC'ing, etc). The watched pot never boils.... when I examine my hair too much, I get frustrated because it doesn't seem to be DOING anything. But when I'm busy with life or trying to improve some other area of my character, my hair takes off cuz I'm not paying it any attention. Did that make sense? Hope so. :lol:

We're gonna get there ladies.... one hurdle at a time. :)

Hello ladies. I am new to the form. My hair is currently short cut in layers. It has started growing out. I am currently trying to retain all the growth that I can.

I cw every 3 days alternating between baking soda and design essentials shampoo also using the design essentials conditioner. It makes my hair feel soft and silky. I use the essential oils growth regimen everyother day and I massage everyother day . I use castor oil for moisture and I add peppermint, rosemary and basil essential oils.

I have noticed my hair has hardly any shedding. (2-3 three hairs per day). I have a great shine and my hair has thickend at the root. I do a daily liquid mutlivitamin, fish oil, and maxi-hair vitamins.

I am so anxious to get to collar bone length. I keep looking at my hair daily and talking to it. I have taken some pictures and I will post them this week. I wish each of you luck. Yesterday I was searching and their was apost where memebers showed their pictures of when they started and what they used. Does anyone know that post?

U first must become the change you want to see in the world........

Hey fellow shorty's! I'm still pretty short too. The back of my hair had grown a lot to below shoulder, but the sides were only in my neck! So I got it evened up on Nov 15th! Its growing though. I will update and post to my fotki when I get a relaxer(after 9 wks) on Jan 16th! I can't wait. My goal this year for May/June is shoulder length! And then by Dec APL or close to it!

Back