Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters
No, I didn't. I've still got about 7 pounds here. What I like to do is buy the Naisssance brand from Amazon when I can't get it on the ground. The quality of it is lovely. The price is okay. I'm not in need of more than 1kg of product at a time. It seems like the United Kingdom has the best prices for France. But, I can't buy anything over 1 kg.

:sekret:...Thanks for the hook-up @Chicoro. I just added 1kg to my Shea stock:cheers:

I kiiiiinda want to straighten tomorrow to do a length check and then do it again on my bday in May. Just to see how the shea is working to boost retention. I'm also still very hair lazy right now. :lachen: :drunk: I'll see.
I want to do this too @tapioca_pudding but I am busy trimming off some demi-colored damaged hair and to be honest, it doesn't make sense doing a length check just yet :nono: :sad:.

Queen Shea Will Plug Your Bathroom Pipes!
Okay, if you are using Shea butter, you are probably washing it out of your hair in either your bathroom sink, shower, tub or kitchen sink. Watch out!

I just got finished with a hope and a prayer and a plunger. I had a plug in my pipes. I don't think it was hair. It looked like all this gunky stuff.

So, if you are using Shea butter, I suggest that you treat your sinks, tubs and showers 1x per week. Of course you should use some kind of trap to capture hair. But hair was not my issue.

Got a Plug?
  1. Pour citric acid powder (some people use baking soda) down the sink. Add a little water to ensure it bubbles and starts to work. I thought it was going to blow because it was seriously bubbling and smoking! I closed the door and crouched to the right of the door frame, with my back and palms pressed up against the wall, like I was bracing myself for an explosion. I've been watching too much Black Panther. Citric acid powder eats up grease and even minerals that create soap scum. It's natural and I had some in the house.
  2. Then follow behind the citric acid or baking soda with some white vinegar.
  3. Let that sit for 15 to 30 minutes.
  4. Boil some water.
  5. Plug up every drain in the bathroom, except where you think the clog might be. Think about what you use the most. If you do your hair using the bathroom sink, that is probably the drain you want to focus on. In my case, it includes the kitchen sink because it was all hooked together. Put very hot water in the tub or shower or sink where you DO NOT plan to be unclogging. Leave it in there.
  6. Pour the hot BUT NOT BOILING water down the drain where you put the citric acid powder and the vinegar down the clogged pipe (if no water in the sink.)
  7. Go to the clogged pipe. With all the other drains air tight, get the plunger and press down and slowly pull up. You are trying to dislodge that clog.

If there is standing water, then start pumping with the plunger.

Weekly Process

1. I use Shea butter daily. So, I have got to up my game.
  2. 1 time per week, either do the baking soda/vinegar thing followed by hot water, or put some type of mild de-clogging product down the drain.
  3. Use a trap for hair.
Hope none of you get a clogged up shower and sink like I did during the middle of the week. What a mess! But if you do, maybe this can help someone.

I will add this to the discoveries list on the first page!
If anyone is looking for citric acid in the grocery store I found it labeled as “sour salt” in the Jewish foods section.

Which Demi-permanent color damaged your hair?
I can't blame it on the color system itself, I blame how I cared for my hair when I demi-colored it with Matrix. Firstly I used it too often plus I never used a normalizing shampoo to wash it out - was always in too much of a hurry every single time I used it. I'm taking a lonnnnng break from it for the time being.

I can't blame it on the color system itself, I blame how I cared for my hair when I demi-colored it with Matrix. Firstly I used it too often plus I never used a normalizing shampoo to wash it out - was always in too much of a hurry every single time I used it. I'm taking a lonnnnng break from it for the time being.

Now you know I was about to have a heart attack because we both used the same brand. But I ALWAYS used the after color product to "lock in" the color. I haven't had any issues with it.

Although I plan to switch to henna coloring to address my thinning and eliminate the color as a potential thinning agent.

:sekret:...Thanks for the hook-up @Chicoro. I just added 1kg to my Shea stock:cheers:

You bought some Naissance from Amazon.UK? I had someone over at my place from Burkina Faso and she said, "This is real Shea butter. This is what the Shea butter is like in my country."

She was dipping in my jar and slathering it all over her feet. You should have seen the look of sheer joy, pleasure and happiness on her face! So, that's how I know that their quality is great. Not because they said it, but because an African woman responded so positively to it. So, it was by word of mouth.

Let me know how the quality is for you when you get it. I hope it is consistent with my experience!

Last edited:
@Keen , @betteron2day and @mzteaze ,

I had this sulfur/onion/cayenne recipe on deck to use starting in February of 2018. But, was not able to start due to illness. I am excited to see that you are having such positive results.

For my next wash day, I will begin to incorporate this as my pre-poo. I have not modified my hair process in 12 months. I like to take my time when I add or subtract processes or products. My routine is ready and able to support a modification.

Extremely Black Hair (natural hair color) Pre - Queen Shea
SuperBlackHair.jpeg

I want to maintain the dark, blackness of my hair. I didn't realize how naturally, black my hair is. I'm interested in starting to use the onion/garlic/cayenne mix to keep my hair black. It's nice to know that it thickens the hair and stops shedding, too.

That makes sense because there was a great post and thread on here years ago, where a member posted on her blog how she created a conditioner to stop shedding by using garlic powder. She added the garlic powder into her conditioner. I remember the responses and the members who tried it stated that it stopped shedding it its tracks.

This sounds like a win-win winner! I'm excited to do my next wash using the onion/garlic/cayenne mixture.

top.gif

This is off the Shea butter topic, but ride wit' me. It's just for a few posts.

I personally think the onion/garlic/cayenne juice has more active sulfur. But, I wanted to provide this from the LHCF archives.

Garlic Conditioner to Stop Shedding

Post title: Ever mixed garlic powder to your conditioner
Post date: October 18th, 2009

Post link:
https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/ever-mixed-garlic-powder-to-your-conditioner.410406/

Although this is posted in the original post, the information was taken from the blog of another LHCF member. She reveals herself later in that thread. Excerpt:

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Stinky Garlic Conditioner Update

Today is wash day. So what conditioner did i use today? The stinky garlic conditioner. Okay i know i'm gonna go around smelling like an Italian meal, but i don't care. This garlic conditioner is the bizness. It works so well that the smell(really stinky)is kool with me, now everybody else probably want to know wth smells like that, lol. As you may know by now, i have fine hair and it sheds like crazy, and i used just about everything to stop or cut down on the shedding, nothing worked. I tried aphogee,biolustre,hair fixer,etc.,etc., still shed, so a member of MyHairSistas (shameless plug, lol)suggested i try a garlic conditioner, at first i was like, no. It stinks, but she said it really works and the smell goes away. I did not want to buy another conditioner. I had already bought 15 cheapie conditioners (they were on sale for 79cents at rite aid), and 3 other conditioners, so one more was out, at least until next week, lol. Anyhoo i looked in my kitchen, cause i know i had some garlic throw up in there somewhere. I looked in the fridge and saw garlic bulbs, too much work to grind them up, nope. I looked in my cabinet, voila, garlic powder, ummm that might work. So i put 4 teaspoon of garlic together with vo5 strawberries and cream. This is my 3rd stinky garlic conditioner, it worked everytime. Just like the last two times, i put on the conditioner like i was applying a relaxer, put on my shower cap and wrapped a towel around my head for an hour this time. I rinsed, moisturized and sealed in 4 sections and air dried in a twist.
The Result? butter soft, moisturized no shed hair, yaaaaaaaaa conditioner, it really works !!!!

I have some garlic and onion extract but those are commercial products. I much prefer to be autonomous and independent to having to order and buy something. Thus, for me the onion/garlic/cayenne suits my needs perfectly.

I use lemongrass essential oil to help cut the smell. And since this is going on your scalp, think about using rosemary essential oil in the mix as well. It is known for hair growth and nourishing the scalp.

I have some garlic and onion extract but those are commercial products. I much prefer to be autonomous and independent to having to order and buy something. Thus, for me the onion/garlic/cayenne suits my needs perfectly.

I truly use organic onions and garlic. It's cheap and easy to make using Green Beauty's recipe. So far I haven't even added the cayenne.

I am working on improving my bald & thinning crown. I am doing this in conjunction with using acupuncture. I'm 11 treatments in and I have growth in the area!

I truly use organic onions and garlic. It's cheap and easy to make using Green Beauty's recipe. So far I haven't even added the cayenne.

I am working on improving my bald & thinning crown. I am doing this in conjunction with using acupuncture. I'm 11 treatments in and I have growth in the area!

Congratulations on your success!

I still have to go back and read these posts, but my update for today:

I used Green Beauty's onion rinse. I used my juicer instead of the blender and I was able to get enough juice from the onion and garlic without having to use water. Next time I'm going to omit the cayenne. It burned and my scalp felt tender afterwards. I also have little flakes of cayenne still stuck in my hair, but I don't think that anyone will notice. I'm aiming at doing this treatment every two weeks to start.

I also whipped up some shea butter with babassu and hemp seed oils. I used it as my oil in my LCO. I'll wait until later or tomorrow to check on how my hair feels.

I still have to go back and read these posts, but my update for today:

I used Green Beauty's onion rinse. I used my juicer instead of the blender and I was able to get enough juice from the onion and garlic without having to use water. Next time I'm going to omit the cayenne. It burned and my scalp felt tender afterwards. I also have little flakes of cayenne still stuck in my hair, but I don't think that anyone will notice. I'm aiming at doing this treatment every two weeks to start.

I also whipped up some shea butter with babassu and hemp seed oils. I used it as my oil in my LCO. I'll wait until later or tomorrow to check on how my hair feels.

Cayenne is a vasodilator in that it makes the veins open wider for more stuff to go through. I need to re-think the use of cayenne. I don't need an irritated scalp.

There is a recipe by GreenBeauty on Youtube. She pre-treats her hair with yellow onion juice, garlic and cayenne red pepper. Her hair has gone from pretty to glorious. She uses this sulfur, vasodilating mix to darken her hair and impact the gray hair!

I tried this one time. I used the boiling method and it was great because there was no lingering smell. I just didn't like the specks of cayenne pepper that it left behind. I'll try it again but I think I'm going to tweak the recipe a little bit.

I tried this one time. I used the boiling method and it was great because there was no lingering smell. I just didn't like the specks of cayenne pepper that it left behind. I'll try it again but I think I'm going to tweak the recipe a little bit.

tenor.gif

Everybody is hating on the cayenne pepper in the recipe! I think I can find a powdered, ground cayenne. But it cayenne is out here eating up people's scalps, then the mere fact that it is powdered won't help that situation. I've been warned 3x's. There is the magic number.

#1. How long will this batch last?
#2. If a cartoon can twerk realistically like that, there is hope for me.
I plan on giving one tub to my nieces as a sealant for their ends (tryna put them up on Queen Shea early, ya dig).

I now use this butter as a sealant on wash day, to re-lubricate my ends about three times a week, and I melt some in my DC weekly. So Ill likely go thru these two tubs in roughly three-ish months. I tend to be heavy handed in general so that plays a part in usage time as well of course.

I think I will just start melting a chunk of Shea into my DC vs using a scoop of this butter. That will help the whipped butter to last longer. Lawd knows I got enough Shea for melting. :look:

And :lachen: :lachen: let this cartoon be your motivation to go throw that thang in a circle later today :D

I plan on giving one tub to my nieces as a sealant for their ends (tryna put them up on Queen Shea early, ya dig).

I now use this butter as a sealant on wash day, to re-lubricate my ends about three times a week, and I melt some in my DC weekly. So Ill likely go thru these two tubs in roughly three-ish months. I tend to be heavy handed in general so that plays a part in usage time as well of course.

I think I will just start melting a chunk of Shea into my DC vs using a scoop of this butter. That will help the whipped butter to last longer. Lawd knows I got enough Shea for melting. :look:

And :lachen: :lachen: let this cartoon be your motivation to go throw that thang in a circle later today :D

*Says in church lady voice*

Thank you, baby!

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Everybody is hating on the cayenne pepper in the recipe! I think I can find a powdered, ground cayenne. But it cayenne is out here eating up people's scalps, then the mere fact that it is powdered won't help that situation. I've been warned 3x's. There is the magic number.

I'm sure you can found a finely ground cayenne powder to use. Or you can grind it up yourself, if you have a grinder.

But I've always been skeptical of using this on my scalp. Personally, I'm more open to peppermint EO than cayenne on my scalp.

Also, let me just say, adding rosemary to that boiled onion juice mix makes you smell like Stovetop stuffing. :drunk:

I'm sure you can found a finely ground cayenne powder to use. Or you can grind it up yourself, if you have a grinder.

But I've always been skeptical of using this on my scalp. Personally, I'm more open to peppermint EO than cayenne on my scalp.

Also, let me just say, adding rosemary to that boiled onion juice mix makes you smell like Stovetop stuffing. :drunk:

rY4REn.gif

Back