Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

faithVA It's kind of a long story, but here goes... :) At the beginning of the year, I had been having problems properly detangling my hair to set it on rollers. My hair just used to take forever to detangle. So I researched and tried a lot of different things, and I came across Chicoro's prepoo recipe- here it is: http://mydivaspot.com/forums/showthread.php?313-Chicoro-s-Moisture-Drenched-Pre-Poo

I used a half cup aloe vera juice, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, and coconut oil. It gave my hair THEE most amazing slip. It literally cut my detangling time in half. However, it took far too long to prepoo, shampoo AND deep condition. Wash day was getting to be a pain in the a$$ lol. And at the time, I was just using conditioner with nothing added to it to deep condition.

Soooo to save time, I cut out pre-pooing, and just added aloe vera juice and olive oil to my DC. So my DC regimen is this: mix 1/2 cup aloe vera juice, couple tablespoons olive oil, and conditioner together. Add to a section of hair, steam the section with my Q-redew, then twist the section up. Repeat for my whole head. I usually do about 8-10 twists. Then I leave it in for about 45 min-1 hour. Afterwards, my hair is magically tangle-free and soft ;)

So that's why I want to try a setting lotion/gel with aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel in it. I feel like it would make my hair really happy. I'm going to try to add it to the pump -- that's a good idea, thanks!

OK Thanks.

toaster aloe vera juice seems to *slightly* loosen my curls- after rinsing my DC out, my ends aren't so tightly wound up. I think that's why it's easier to brush through my hair after using AVJ.

ETA: whoopsie! meant to shout out faithVA sorry toaster :)

I have seen Chicoros recipe. I think I have even tried it. I am always curious when people say their hair loves it to find out why. :yep:

coilyhaircutie

Thanks! I think my leave-in should be slippery enough, but this week I'm going to try leave-in, serum, gel and hope my drying time isn't too long.

Anything with aloe vera juice in the first 3/4 ingredients is a no no for my hair. I discovered that with a few SSI and Soultanicals products. My hair just doesn't like it in a high concentration. It kind of makes me sad, because it's such a useful ingredient and it's in a lot of products. Luckily the CR gel has it further down the list.

Yeah, I keep saying I'm going to play around with aloe vera since I have a large bottle in the fridge. I just haven't gotten around to it. When I have tried it in the past, it sort of acts like water on my hair and just sits there. But I want to do some definitive test before I write it off.

Yeah, I keep saying I'm going to play around with aloe vera since I have a large bottle in the fridge. I just haven't gotten around to it. When I have tried it in the past, it sort of acts like water on my hair and just sits there. But I want to do some definitive test before I write it off.

When I tried Aloe vera juice it didn't do much for me. But Aloe Vera gel blended with Flax Seed gel does wonders for my hair!

Thanks!!! What conditioners/leave ins do you ladies love from Sally's? I just go in and grab the gvp conditioning balm. I'm so out of the loop!

Libra08 When I go in Sally's, I normally go down one isle! The one with the rollers which also happens to be the same isle they keep the Aphogee so I had no clue Sally's sold all these natural lines now. Got up to the counter and the SalesLady scanned my rewards card and told me about the BOGO free and that I should have had a code emailed to me. Gotta love these smart phones! I picked up:
SM Purification Masque
SM Restorative conditioner
SM deep treatment Masque (2)

Hey girls!
Fun question for you all- once you meet your target goal length, how do you plan to wear your hair on a regular basis? :)

I plan on wearing my waist length hair in roller sets 50% of the time and straight styles 50% of the time. I just want to let my hair free and swaaang :gorgeous: haha. How about you all?

Happy weekend!! ♥

Thanks!!! What conditioners/leave ins do you ladies love from Sally's? I just go in and grab the gvp conditioning balm. I'm so out of the loop!

The Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea leave-in is nice!

I might have to head to Sally's to pick up some jumbo perm rods and try that set naptural85 did.

Hey girls! Fun question for you all- once you meet your target goal length, how do you plan to wear your hair on a regular basis? :) I plan on wearing my waist length hair in roller sets 50% of the time and straight styles 50% of the time. I just want to let my hair free and swaaang :gorgeous: haha. How about you all? Happy weekend!! ♥

coilyhaircutie
I just want moooooore length so my roller sets and 1 bantu knot out method can look like the pictures added. I still plan on getting my hair pressed at the salon or doing saran wrap roller sets at home when I want it straight. I pretty much already wear my hair in these styles but the extra length is just gonna make it extra juicy and extra yummy! lol

Oh and I can't forget my french braids...I can't wait till those babies start resting at my hips!

Last edited:
I'm going to have to start reading this thread from the beginning but I would like to join in. I'm newly relaxed after 2.5 years natural. I did my first rollerset last Saturday & it went pretty good considering how long it had been since I did one.

I keep it simple. After I DC, I spray on KeraCare's Silken Seal, then Design Essentials, HCO LI. I also use DE's setting lotion for hold. It has good hold but it's not hard unless you use too much. After I finish rolling, I spray a little more Silken Seal all over for extra sheen.

After I take my rollers out I lightly moisturize my ends. I plan to order the Verifen Complex Constant Care for Ends but for now I'm using some SM Curl Smoothie from my natural days. I only use a speck after I remove each roller. Then more Silken Seal before I either wrap or pin curl my hair.

I'm a trucker & I keep my hair under a silk scarf during the week when I'm working. When I'm off, it's either in a SouthernTease bun or pinned up some other way. I'm trying to PS my way to WL. T'is all.

coilyhaircutie

I plan to wear my sets down and curly, and up in a bun most of the time! After graduation I'll be working in a corporate environment so probably up during the week and down on the weekends. I want to try twist outs from a set, and just wearing long, wavy, bouncy hair.

Sally's didn't have ear covers. I'll order a pair on amazon and dry my next set on 50. I did get a storage container for my rollers from target.

image-4275684651.jpg

I put the perm rods in the Curlformers bag because I use those weekly, and wanted them to be easily removable.

lulu97 oooh those styles look luscious! I can just imagine your beautiful hair hanging that long!

toaster I feel you on this "long, wavy, bouncy hair" - I can't wait til I can wear my hair like this too!! :) I don't know if I can be so disciplined as to wear buns- I know I'll be too hype once I reach waist length to be practical and PS :rolleyes:

Okay I know this isn't a set per say but i got a curling wand in the mail today. My sis in law blow dried my hair on high and then I used my wand. It's not as poofy as I wanted (I was going for the curly fro look so I didn't str8en it first) but I'm hoping it will get bigger. For some reason I always do my hair most of the time with my lc shirt on lol....like it's going to make a difference hahaha.

ForumRunner_20140404_173047.jpg

ForumRunner_20140404_173102.jpg

ForumRunner_20140404_173148.jpg

ForumRunner_20140404_173205.jpg

ForumRunner_20140404_173251.jpg

ForumRunner_20140404_173320.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140404_173337.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140404_173337.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 35
Okay I know this isn't a set per say but i got a curling wand in the mail today. My sis in law blow dried my hair on high and then I used my wand. It's not as poofy as I wanted (I was going for the curly fro look so I didn't str8en it first) but I'm hoping it will get bigger. For some reason I always do my hair most of the time with my lc shirt on lol....like it's going to make a difference hahaha.

HairPleezeGrow Pretty!!! Love it.

I'm going to have to start reading this thread from the beginning but I would like to join in. I'm newly relaxed after 2.5 years natural. I did my first rollerset last Saturday & it went pretty good considering how long it had been since I did one. I keep it simple. After I DC, I spray on KeraCare's Silken Seal, then Design Essentials, HCO LI. I also use DE's setting lotion for hold. It has good hold but it's not hard unless you use too much. After I finish rolling, I spray a little more Silken Seal all over for extra sheen. After I take my rollers out I lightly moisturize my ends. I plan to order the Verifen Complex Constant Care for Ends but for now I'm using some SM Curl Smoothie from my natural days. I only use a speck after I remove each roller. Then more Silken Seal before I either wrap or pin curl my hair. I'm a trucker & I keep my hair under a silk scarf during the week when I'm working. When I'm off, it's either in a SouthernTease bun or pinned up some other way. I'm trying to PS my way to WL. T'is all.

nakialovesshoes Welcome Lady! Can't wait to see the beautiful sets you have ahead :)

Sally's didn't have ear covers. I'll order a pair on amazon and dry my next set on 50. I did get a storage container for my rollers from target. I put the perm rods in the Curlformers bag because I use those weekly, and wanted them to be easily removable.

I need one of those storage bins. My roller stash is becoming quite large! lol

Libra08 When I go in Sally's, I normally go down one isle! The one with the rollers which also happens to be the same isle they keep the Aphogee so I had no clue Sally's sold all these natural lines now. Got up to the counter and the SalesLady scanned my rewards card and told me about the BOGO free and that I should have had a code emailed to me. Gotta love these smart phones! I picked up:
SM Purification Masque
SM Restorative conditioner
SM deep treatment Masque (2)

The Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea leave-in is nice!

I might have to head to Sally's to pick up some jumbo perm rods and try that set naptural85 did.

Thanks for the replies! I'll check out the natural hair product lines they have.

HairPleezeGrow
gorgeous hair lady!!! you make me want to run out and buy a curling iron. did you get the kind without a clamp? I've been eyeing the curling barrels without clamps. I think they get natural hair so smooth and curly. I tried using my friend's before though, and it was really tricky to use. did you have to practice a lot first before you got the hang of it?

HairPleezeGrow
gorgeous hair lady!!! you make me want to run out and buy a curling iron. did you get the kind without a clamp? I've been eyeing the curling barrels without clamps. I think they get natural hair so smooth and curly. I tried using my friend's before though, and it was really tricky to use. did you have to practice a lot first before you got the hang of it?

Thank you coily...I used a curling wand (they don't have clamps) by Remington. It's the salon collection pearl digital ceramic wand 1/2 in to 1 in. This one was tricky because it's larger and goes down smaller. I have a curling wand already but it's all one size so easier to use. This new one wasn't too difficult though. I just did small sections and counted to 10.

Another roller set inspiration to add to our growing list. The color tho! *thud*

I know it's probably not all hers but it's still lovely. lol

Last edited:
HairPleezeGrow you really worked that curling rod! Your curls look great! I have so many curling irons that I haven't used since I started my HHJ, but your results make me want to pull them back out. I must resist. I used to used them every day :nono:

Started looking at rollersetting tutorials again since I only did it once. Came across this one and loved it sooo much I had to post it. If someone else did earlier on my bad but for newbies and returnees like myself, here it is.

How To | Roller Set Hair Tutorial | Wash and Set …: http://youtu.be/qi_wb8ouFJQ

Looking forward to setting tomorrow!

I also went to Sally's and returned the GVP its a 10 I bought. I love Sally's return policy! I think flax seed gel mixed with Aloe vera gel is my official holding product for sets and I am going to continue to go cone free.

Back