Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Uhm... How are you all using satin rollers again? I failed completely. I can't imagine rolling my entire head of hair on those tiny rollers, and then I did a fake twist and curl and the huge rollers stabbed me in my neck as I went to lay down. My usual preservation method of two twists works pretty well, so I'll just stick with that.

For comedy:

image-1785889837.jpg

image-163186225.jpg

I just received my jumbo-sized perm rods. I am hoping 18 will be enough. I am going to try it on dry hair first a la Naptural85.

toaster the first time I tried satin foam rollers I used 1 1/2" and I found they were too big. They straightened my hair rather than curled it. I think you have to use foam rollers significantly smaller than your normal rollers. Now I use 7/8" and they work well. After I roller set I use 14 of the 7/8" rollers to roll up my hair before bed. I use about 30 rollers to set so I put 2 sections of roller set hair per foam roller. It works well for me.

I tried another air dried braid out. This time I let my hair dry in 2 ponytails (I wore a double rope twist bun) so my roots would get straighter/smoother. Then after 3 days of the bun I did 2 braids last night. So far it looks good today. This is really enabling my hair laziness.

Pic 1 is the bun. Pic 2 is my braidout today.

Attachments

• image-3609250484.jpg
    image-3609250484.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 49
  • image-868478436.jpg
    image-868478436.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 52
Uhm... How are you all using satin rollers again? I failed completely. I can't imagine rolling my entire head of hair on those tiny rollers, and then I did a fake twist and curl and the huge rollers stabbed me in my neck as I went to lay down. My usual preservation method of two twists works pretty well, so I'll just stick with that.

For comedy:

View attachment 253147

View attachment 253149

The multi pack is a good price but the rollers are too small. Even with my short hair (EL - NL), I can't use most of those rollers. You need Jumbo size.

At your length though not sure if those are even the best for your hair. I would think flexi rods would accommodate more hair.

faithVA GettingKinky

Thanks ladies! Yeah, I don't think the rollers are for me. I get nice waves from twisting my hair at night or Bantu knots, so I'll just keep using those.

I'm finally in a rhythm with my hair. After I try the gel this week for setting I'll stop experimenting for a while and just enjoy. I'm excited.

toaster the first time I tried satin foam rollers I used 1 1/2" and I found they were too big. They straightened my hair rather than curled it. I think you have to use foam rollers significantly smaller than your normal rollers. Now I use 7/8" and they work well. After I roller set I use 14 of the 7/8" rollers to roll up my hair before bed. I use about 30 rollers to set so I put 2 sections of roller set hair per foam roller. It works well for me. I tried another air dried braid out. This time I let my hair dry in 2 ponytails (I wore a double rope twist bun) so my roots would get straighter/smoother. Then after 3 days of the bun I did 2 braids last night. So far it looks good today. This is really enabling my hair laziness. Pic 1 is the bun. Pic 2 is my braidout today.

I love the rope twists! They are so juicy!!!

I just started using satin rollers this week. I got a pack of 16, and I use all of them. For some reason pincurling has stopped working for me, so I decided to give satin rollers a go. I've only used them once, so I can't do a full review on them. But they do preserve my curl better than flexirods. They are quite small, and my hair is APL and shorter than yours, so I can see how they may not work for someone with longer hair. What I do is combine two or three curls together and wrap them around one roller (after moisturizing & sealing).

If my Camille rose curl maker gel ever arrives (come on target, I ordered it a week ago) I'll use it for my next set. I'm nervous! I've never used a gel to set my hair before. I know coilyhaircutie uses it, and mahoganycurls on YouTube uses it, and naptural85 has used flaxseed gel for her sets before, I just keep imagining the gel defining my natural curl pattern and messing up my set.

I'm flattered to be in the same sentence as those two natural hair gurus :) don't they have such beautiful heads of hair? I hope the Camille Rose Curl Maker works for you! It doesn't define my curls. What I do is spritz the section of hair with my leave-in, smooth it with my denman brush, then add the gel. Next, I add the roller, making sure there is enough tension on the hair. That way, my hair takes the shape of the roller- be it perm rods or curlformers. What did you used to use as a setting lotion?

After my Camille Rose Curl Maker is done, I want to try their Whipped Aloe Gel. I discovered that my hair loooves aloe vera juice when I add it to my deep conditioner, so I'm curious to see how it would react to a setting lotion with aloe vera in it. I wish the CR Whipped Aloe gel came in a pump jar too though.

Does anyone here use Camille Rose Whipped Aloe Hair Gel or aloe vera gel in general to set?

toaster the first time I tried satin foam rollers I used 1 1/2" and I found they were too big. They straightened my hair rather than curled it. I think you have to use foam rollers significantly smaller than your normal rollers. Now I use 7/8" and they work well. After I roller set I use 14 of the 7/8" rollers to roll up my hair before bed. I use about 30 rollers to set so I put 2 sections of roller set hair per foam roller. It works well for me.

I tried another air dried braid out. This time I let my hair dry in 2 ponytails (I wore a double rope twist bun) so my roots would get straighter/smoother. Then after 3 days of the bun I did 2 braids last night. So far it looks good today. This is really enabling my hair laziness.

Pic 1 is the bun. Pic 2 is my braidout today.
gorgeous bun!

coilyhaircutie. I don't use a setting lotion at all right now. Usually just the it's a 10 leave in and serum. My hair holds a style pretty well, but I do think a hiding agent is what's missing. Do you comb through after applying the gel? The serum really makes my hair super east to detangle, so I'm hoping I can apply the gel over the leave in, detangle some more, and then roll. It really takes me about 30 seconds to roll, so I think it should work.

toaster I comb through after applying my leave-in. I don't comb through after applying the gel. The gel makes my hair a little bit tacky, so I don't like to comb through my hair after applying it.

My deep conditioner mix makes my hair really easy to detangle, so after adding my leave-in (Oyin's Juices & Berries), my hair is a breeze to comb out.

I just started using satin rollers this week. I got a pack of 16, and I use all of them. For some reason pincurling has stopped working for me, so I decided to give satin rollers a go. I've only used them once, so I can't do a full review on them. But they do preserve my curl better than flexirods. They are quite small, and my hair is APL and shorter than yours, so I can see how they may not work for someone with longer hair. What I do is combine two or three curls together and wrap them around one roller (after moisturizing & sealing).

I'm flattered to be in the same sentence as those two natural hair gurus :) don't they have such beautiful heads of hair? I hope the Camille Rose Curl Maker works for you! It doesn't define my curls. What I do is spritz the section of hair with my leave-in, smooth it with my denman brush, then add the gel. Next, I add the roller, making sure there is enough tension on the hair. That way, my hair takes the shape of the roller- be it perm rods or curlformers. What did you used to use as a setting lotion?

After my Camille Rose Curl Maker is done, I want to try their Whipped Aloe Gel. I discovered that my hair loooves aloe vera juice when I add it to my deep conditioner, so I'm curious to see how it would react to a setting lotion with aloe vera in it. I wish the CR Whipped Aloe gel came in a pump jar too though.

Does anyone here use Camille Rose Whipped Aloe Hair Gel or aloe vera gel in general to set?

How do you know your hair likes avg mixed with conditioner? What does it do?

Can u save the pump container and transfer the whipped aloe gel into it?

I was going to wash and blow dry my hair this weekend, but I think instead I am going to do a curlformer set instead. I will post pictures of my results on Saturday after I do it or I may do it tomorrow. I really am thinking keeping my natural hair stretched with either rollersets or flat ironing is the best thing for me. Twist outs and braid outs don't seem to work as well with length retention on my natural hair like it did for my relaxed hair.

MileHighDiva I parted my hair down the middle and made two ponytails very close to the part. Then I 2 strand twisted each pony. Finally I wrap each twist around the other pony. Here's a link to the website where I found it. Their explanation and pictures are better than my explanation. I can't wait until my hair is even longer. I think the bun will be even better then. http://thebeautydepartment.com/2012/09/double-rope-braid-bun/

Bookmarked. Please consider this style stolen and to be used in my near future! lol

Just picked up from Sally's:
2 packs of 2 inch gray magnetic rollers
3 packs of 3 inch green magnetic rollers
2 packs of all purpose magnetic clips (I previously purchased 2 packs from walmart but they were too flimsy)

Side note: Did y'all know Sally's has a BOGO free on hair products? I'll attach the email with the code. I stacked up on some Shea Moisture conditioners. I've been wanting to go back to those for a while now and I was down to only 2 conditioners in my stash. woot woot

Last edited:
Trying to find a style for my baby shower tomorrow. I'm thinking this style EbonyPrincess had...don't know her name of LHCF. It also looks like it would last me a while too...at least until wash day.

I think those curls are from flexi rods.

Last edited:
2 packs of all purpose magnetic clips (I previously purchased 2 packs from walmart but they were too flimsy)

Side note: Did y'all know Sally's has a BOGO free on hair products? I'll attach the email with the code. I stacked up on some Shea Moisture conditioners. I've been wanting to go back to those for a while now and I was down to only 2 conditioners in my stash. woot woot

Thanks!!! What conditioners/leave ins do you ladies love from Sally's? I just go in and grab the gvp conditioning balm. I'm so out of the loop!

Bookmarked. Please consider this style stolen and to be used in my near future! lol

i might try this without me having to much length anyway i can't make a bun to save my life and this looks simple enough. first it was my hair was too thin . now its not but i still can't do it. tried to do a top not kind of but not at the top and looked like a tiny knot

Thanks soooo much

How do you know your hair likes avg mixed with conditioner? What does it do?

Can u save the pump container and transfer the whipped aloe gel into it?

faithVA It's kind of a long story, but here goes... :) At the beginning of the year, I had been having problems properly detangling my hair to set it on rollers. My hair just used to take forever to detangle. So I researched and tried a lot of different things, and I came across Chicoro's prepoo recipe- here it is: http://mydivaspot.com/forums/showthread.php?313-Chicoro-s-Moisture-Drenched-Pre-Poo

I used a half cup aloe vera juice, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, and coconut oil. It gave my hair THEE most amazing slip. It literally cut my detangling time in half. However, it took far too long to prepoo, shampoo AND deep condition. Wash day was getting to be a pain in the a$$ lol. And at the time, I was just using conditioner with nothing added to it to deep condition.

Soooo to save time, I cut out pre-pooing, and just added aloe vera juice and olive oil to my DC. So my DC regimen is this: mix 1/2 cup aloe vera juice, couple tablespoons olive oil, and conditioner together. Add to a section of hair, steam the section with my Q-redew, then twist the section up. Repeat for my whole head. I usually do about 8-10 twists. Then I leave it in for about 45 min-1 hour. Afterwards, my hair is magically tangle-free and soft ;)

So that's why I want to try a setting lotion/gel with aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel in it. I feel like it would make my hair really happy. I'm going to try to add it to the pump -- that's a good idea, thanks!

toaster aloe vera juice seems to *slightly* loosen my curls- after rinsing my DC out, my ends aren't so tightly wound up. I think that's why it's easier to brush through my hair after using AVJ.

ETA: whoopsie! meant to shout out faithVA sorry toaster :)

Last edited:
Libra08

Sally's carries a lot of mainstream brands now (Eden Body Works, Jane Carter, Curls, Shea Moisture, etc) I usually only buy hair tools, but I'm going today to get ear covers and I'll look around at the products.

Last edited:
coilyhaircutie

Thanks! I think my leave-in should be slippery enough, but this week I'm going to try leave-in, serum, gel and hope my drying time isn't too long.

Anything with aloe vera juice in the first 3/4 ingredients is a no no for my hair. I discovered that with a few SSI and Soultanicals products. My hair just doesn't like it in a high concentration. It kind of makes me sad, because it's such a useful ingredient and it's in a lot of products. Luckily the CR gel has it further down the list.

Trying to find a style for my baby shower tomorrow. I'm thinking this style EbonyPrincess had...don't know her name of LHCF. It also looks like it would last me a while too...at least until wash day.

I think those curls are from flexi rods.

Yes, it should last you for a week easily.

Back