Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

I can't wait to wash and set my hair tomorrow. I haven't washed since last Sunday, but my hair still feels good.

Soooo cute Foreverinbloom. How did you do it? Did you comb out your curls first?

GettingKinky

Not sure actually how I did it, but I didn't comb them out. I was trying to put it in a pineapple before I went to bed, but was afraid to mess up my curls (I actually couldn't get all my hair in one ouchless band). I used 2 ouchless bands and because I was still afraid to mess up my curls (because I sleep like a wild animal), I pinned some up and this was the result.

Prepooing with Vatika Frosting right now. Would jump in the shower and shampoo but... my apartment doesn't have water. And the office isn't answering their phone so I have no idea how long this is going to be a problem. Will probably have a late hair night. Grr.

Prepooing with Vatika Frosting right now. Would jump in the shower and shampoo but... my apartment doesn't have water. And the office isn't answering their phone so I have no idea how long this is going to be a problem. Will probably have a late hair night. Grr.

Glad it's just Vatika Frosting on your hair :yep:

Imagine losing water in the midst of relaxing :nono:

GettingKinky Not sure actually how I did it, but I didn't comb them out. I was trying to put it in a pineapple before I went to bed, but was afraid to mess up my curls (I actually couldn't get all my hair in one ouchless band). I used 2 ouchless bands and because I was still afraid to mess up my curls (because I sleep like a wild animal), I pinned some up and this was the result.

Isn't that always the way? I seem to get my best styles unintentionally and then I can never reproduce them.

toaster
I just bought Vatika Frosting the other day! My package arrived today. So excited to use it to seal my ends and do scalp massages, I keep hearing good things about it :D

I hope your water has come back by now!

Current hair length: Front at nose, Sides almost at top lip, parts of middle barely anything there shortest piece might be an inch, back if stretched grazes the shoulders
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural (some areas have about 1-3" left of texturized hair.
Current Setting method and styling choices: perm rods or braid hair and use satin-covered sponge rollers. ONLY SET MY HAIR ONCE. I'M NOT EXPERIENCED YET!
Current Setting products: Lotta Body setting lotion/perm rods or Cantu Shea Butter Coconut curl cream, braid hair and use satin-covered sponge rollers for ends.
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: APL by Christmas
How long do you plan to set?: I plan to set FOREVER as a way to stretch the hair and make it manageable, even if I'm just going to pin it up.
Post a beginning picture
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
MileHighDiva

Yes I could! And several have already offered. I think I could complete the task with gallons of water as well. I just need to shampoo, and then eventually rinse the conditioner out of my hair so I can set. I'm really hoping it comes back on soon so I don't have to figure out what's next.

I did a lot of sweating this week and my hair needs shampoo!

I also think the apartment staff knew they would be turning the water off and didn't come to work so they wouldn't have to answer questions...

Last edited:
MileHighDiva

Yes I could! And several have already offered. I think I could complete the task with gallons of water as well. I just need to shampoo, and then eventually rinse the conditioner out of my hair so I can set. I'm really hoping it comes back on soon so I don't have to figure out what's next.

I did a lot of sweating this week and my hair needs shampoo!

I also think the apartment staff knew they would be turning the water off and didn't come to work so they wouldn't have to answer questions...

Pack your bag and go shower, wash & DC your hair. When you rinse out your hair put on a turbie twist and drive home to finish up. Then you'll know that you're fresh & clean for whatever you have to do in the morning (school/work).

Thanks ladies! I probably should have listened and went to a friends house. My water came back on, and it was running clear and strong. I shampoo'd, applied my DC, steamed, and now it's not running again. By this point I was just mad and determined to set my hair and go to bed.

I "rinsed" with the little distilled water I had left, and set. My hair had conditioner and Vatika Frosting in it already, so I just used the Camille Rose Curl Maker Gel on top. I have a feeling my hair is going to dry filmy and gray because of all the conditioner in it. Whatever it looks like, I'm rolling with it until at least Thursday.

My dry time is probably going to be longer because my hair has more product on it than usual. Then I will bantu knot, throw on a beanie, and go to the grocery store to buy water. And maybe a chocolate bar.

toaster
aw man. I'm sorry you have to go through all of this! I know the feeling.

Last year, they turned off the water in my dorm too, and it was torture. And it wasn't even wash day for me then. I woke up in the morning for class, and instead of the using morning routine, I had to run out, buy bottled water to brush my teeth, wash my face, make breakfast...OMG O_O

That's why they say never take anything for granted. Running water is a blessing!

Current hair length: Front, at nose, Sides almost at top lip, parts of middle barely anything there shortest piece might be an inch, back if stretched grazes the shoulders Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural (some areas have about 1-3" left of teturized hair. Current Setting method and styling choices: 1.perms rods 2.braided and use satin-covered sponge rollers. ONLY SET MY HAIR ONCE SO FAR. I'M NOT EXPERIEINCED YET! Current Setting products: Lotta Body setting lotion/perm rods or Cantu Shea Butter Coconut curl cream, braid hair and use satin-covered sponge rollers for ends. Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: APL by Christmas How long do you plan to set?: I plan to set as a way to stretch the hair and make it manageable, even if I'm just going to pin it up. Post a beginning picture
[/QUOTE]

earlybird Welcome Lady! You will be an expert in no time!

My hair is a hot mess and i just set Saturday. UGH! Products make such a big difference. I tried a new DC and this is how my hair looked after rinsing:
IMAG1685.jpg

as opposed to looking like this:
IMAG1502.jpg

I know this isn't a product review thread, but if you want a smooth, lasting rollerset you need to start with balanced hair!

I need to set again and soon!

Last edited:
faithVA

I used the Ynobe Nettle and Alma Conditioner. I wrote a review of it here:

http://herampersandhim.com/2014/04/08/ynobe-amla-nettle-moisturizing-deep-conditioner-review/

My hair is fine and I need protein to keep my hair in shape, and despite what looks like good ingredients my hair did not get enough protein to accept moisturize and was just a mess hence my set was a mess.

Also what is this I read about flat twist for a month? How are you gonna set with flat twist?

Um where did you see that at :look: : lol:

Yeah I need to leave the setting until the back of my hair is longer. It's taking too much time to maintain. I may still do it once a month. Couldn't figure out how to make it work.

Um where did you see that at :look: : lol:

Yeah I need to leave the setting until the back of my hair is longer. It's taking too much time to maintain. I may still do it once a month. Couldn't figure out how to make it work.

Leave setting? No such thing! When my hair was shorter I used sets so I could protective style. It may work to set to get smoother tangle free flat twist....i can find a reason for anyone to set! :grin:

Leave setting? No such thing! When my hair was shorter I used sets so I could protective style. It may work to set to get smoother tangle free flat twist....i can find a reason for anyone to set! :grin:

I hear you but for now I don't have that kind of time. It takes me two hours to flat twist my hair. I don't have another 2 hours on top of that to set. I have got to cut back so I can have as some kind of life.

My hair is ridiculously soft from setting with the deep conditioned and Camille rose gel. It also didn't dry and is half stretched.

I might try using the it's a 10 instant conditioner and gel next set, just less product. Off to order those ear covers right now...

Back