Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Oh the memories!!! This is the only style I used to get at the salon from about the year 2000 up until I stopped getting relaxers at the end of 2011. We used to call them "roller wraps". My hair would probably laugh at this now, but I feel good in knowing I can achieve something similar with a full roller set followed by saran wrap. Matter if fact, it will be my next style since I feel like swinging some straight hair for my baby shower.

http://youtu.be/ISg9PdHZ4T4

lulu97
just watched this video. omg, her hair looks amazing!
I can't believe that she used to relax her hair before though- her curls are so loose.

This youtuber definitely knows how to do some hair! She was wrapping that hair and flat ironing it like a pro. I woulda been fumbling all over the place with so many tools :lol:

This thread actually inspired me to roller set to stretch my hair for braids. I wish I would've had my APB Leave In to use, but I used my Darcy's a Leave in and a little bit of APB Cream on each section then sprayed Aussie Moist Hair Insurance on each section once it was rolled. I am now sitting under the dryer to aid in the drying process. :yep:

Last edited:
I was missing my hair last night, so I took my goddess braids down and ohhhhh Lawd my hair smelled like corn chips. I can't even remember the last time I washed it...12 or 13 days ago?! I still didn't feel like washing so I had the idea of refreshing it with some dry shampoo but realized it was under my bed in the "products you use every now and then box". I couldn't be bothered with trying to get down on my knees to get it and struggle getting back up, and as always my kids were deaf with those darn beats playing in their ears so I just said *** it.

I kept the hair in 2 sections, misted them both with rosewater/glycerin and coconut oil then 2 strand twisted before I put in 2 bantu knots. I was hoping that combo would help the smell. When I woke up, my hair felt so good and moisturized but it still smells like corn chips with feet added in. YUCK! Will be doing my wash routine today and setting tomorrow.

Last edited:
This thread actually inspired me to roller set to stretch my hair for braids. I wish I would've had my APB Leave In to use, but I used my Darcy's a Leave in and a little bit of APB Cream on each section then sprayed Aussie Moist Hair Insurance on each section once it was rolled. I am now sitting under the dryer to aid in the drying process. :yep:

NaturallyATLPCH How did it turn out Lady?

NaturallyATLPCH How did it turn out Lady?

lulu97, it actually turned out very well! Next time I will use a liquid leave in in conjunction with the cream, but my hair was stretched just right, equivalent to blow drying it.

Thank you ladies for inspiring me to start roller setting again. I stay in protective styling mode, but I will definitely be roller setting as opposed to blow drying when I need to stretch my hair.

If you have the LCL dryer and the knob on your timer gets stripped and pop off, use the end of a long duckbill clip to turn it. Fits right in the groove. lol

Last edited:
Last week's rollerset using mesh rollers. I like the drying time of mesh rollers, but I believe magnetic rollers give me smoother hair. I wanted to henna and do a rollerset this weekend, but I got food poisoning so it's gonna have to wait until next weekend. I'm so excited to get back on the henna train!

image-3637036279.jpg

image-2190175774.jpg

I also did a twistout on my week old rollerset. I used cantu shea butter repair cream mixed with aloe vera juice and castor oil. I loved the results, but I'm going to order some aveda anti humectant because my hair was a little poofy by the end of the night because it was a tad humid. I might try using some Eco styler gel as well because I really want this to be my go to style during the summer.

image-1570712247.jpg

lulu97

The knob broke on my LCL dryer too. I called and they say it happens when it is bolted on too tight because of the tension. They shipped me a new one within a week! You should call because it didn't even matter about my warranty status when mine was replaced

All rolled up and under the dryer. I am happy with my rolling patter, but nervous about using rosewater to re-wet my hair. We will see how it went.

Tomorrow is our official quarterly check-in date, but because many set over the weekend I wanted to reach out to all our challengers.

When you check in please answer:

How has rollersetting or lack of rollersetting impacted your hair's health and retention?

Fell free to share pictures, updates, questions, concerns and success, but let us know how your routine is working for you!

afrikurl
Angelbean
AnjelLuvsUBabe
Babygrowth
BGT
bronzephoenix
brownb83
ckisland
cllncindy
coilyhaircutie
davisbr88
DoDo
DominicanBrazilian82
Ejriley
EnExitStageLeft
Fiya78
flirtytrixx88
GettingKinky
HairPleezeGrow
kinchen
KiWiStyle
klsjackson
kxlot79
Lady Esquire
Lilmama1011
Lissa0821
Lucie
lulu97
MayaNatural
MissGomes
mzteaze
Napp
Nightingale
NIKKE121
Prettymetty
rawsilk
Rozlewis
Saludable84
sexypebbly
shortt29
smores
tapioca_pudding
tatiana
theprototype
toaster
TracyNicole
uofmpanther
werenumber2
yora88

Last edited:
I'm checking in. I don't think rollersetting has affected my retention, but I only set once a month so it may be too early to tell. I really love the way my sets turn out, but I really have to amp myself up to spend the hours required to set & dry my hair. I really admire all you weekly setters.

Checking in.....

I'm lazy and haven't set my hair this entire challenge. I come in here all hype after seeing your beautiful results, but reality sets in that I'm almost MBL w/ transitioning hair and lose my drive. I really need to get it together.

I'm here! I was more concerned with roller setting adversely effecting my retention because of the manipulation. Thus far I'm in love. A few hours of work on Sunday is worth pretty much worry free hair throughout the week. It's easy to keep moisturized, detangled, and it looks better than my air dried or wet buns.

My goals for the next quarter are to not attempt any styles that aren't based on a set (my shrinkage doesn't get to where I want it to be until around full waist length) and learn to flat twist!

My pictures are all up and through this thread, but I'm under the steamer now so I'll probably post some more tonight. :look:

Checking in...roller setting hasn't affected my retention but I only do it like once per month if that since I've been on this wig challenge.

I'm up in here dang near everyday but I'll check in anyway :)

How has rollersetting or lack of rollersetting impacted your hair's health and retention?
*Roller setting keeps my hair smooth and all one texture. It has literally made growing out my relaxer a breeeeeeeeeze!
Hair's health: At it's optimal potential
Retention: Before the challenge in December, I was at Full MBL. Here we are 3 months later and my longest layers are grazing Waist!

Fell free to share pictures, updates, questions, concerns and success, but let us know how your routine is working for you!

*I started out the year setting weekly, but it was a little too much manipulation for my hair. So I went back to my old routine of washing/setting as needed which averages anywhere from 10-14 days.

*Deep conditioning overnight then steaming with every wash has made a huge impact on my hair's ability to retain moisture. I no longer have to use a traditional store bought moisturizer in between sets. I can keep my ends lubricated with coconut oil or just use rosewater/glycerin and coconut oil and my hair will remain shiny, bouncy and not weighed down. I do this every 2-3 days

*Roller sets make great bases for transitioning into other styles. I love doing braided styles, updo's, goddess braids, banana clip ponytails and y'all already know I'm the Queen of bantu knot outs. With roller setting, the style possibilities are endless.

Trying the dryer on 60 and I'm sweating and burning. Definitely need to invest in some ear covers before next week. Hopefully it's dry in an hour, because that's all I can take!

Thank you! I was surprised and thoroughly pleases with how well it came out. I was watching Alicia Jame's channel and was inspired by her twistout on stretched natural hair.

Checking in.....

I'm lazy and haven't set my hair this entire challenge. I come in here all hype after seeing your beautiful results, but reality sets in that I'm almost MBL w/ transitioning hair and lose my drive. I really need to get it together.

EnExitStageLeft

I haven't set my hair this whole challenge either. I think about fine tooth combing and properly parting my thick kinky 4b/c hair and...I get scared of the damage and broken hairs :nono:.

Back