Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

To the ladles who are natural, what tools are you using to comb your hair so that it is smooth onto the roller? I know when I was relaxed I used a really fine toothed rat tail comb, but I'm not sure if using that would be a good idea on natural hair I can imagine it tearing hair out.

I use a medium tooth comb to smooth my sets. I think some natural ladies use a fine tooth comb, but I don't. It probably would give me smoother sets.

I use a wide tooth comb to detangle before I DC, so my hair is already detangled before I use the smaller comb. Also important to use products with good slip.

To the ladles who are natural, what tools are you using to comb your hair so that it is smooth onto the roller? I know when I was relaxed I used a really fine toothed rat tail comb, but I'm not sure if using that would be a good idea on natural hair I can imagine it tearing hair out.

mz.rae I use a small toothed rat tail comb. Probably the same one you used when you were relaxed. Since you have that It's a 10 leave in now, I would suggest you try this.

1) Section your hair into 4 or 5 sections, or whatever is workable for you.
2) Spray 2-3 sprays of it's a 10 in your hands. Use more if you feel you need it. Spread it in your hands, then apply it to the section
3) Before you add your roller, spray the section REALLY well with water, finger detangle and then use your comb. Even though I use a small tooth comb, I lose very little hair. After I remove the rollers my hair is really smooth, tangle free and I only need to use my fingers to remove shed hair until the next wash.

mz.rae I use a small toothed rat tail comb. Probably the same one you used when you were relaxed. Since you have that It's a 10 leave in now, I would suggest you try this.

1) Section your hair into 4 or 5 sections, or whatever is workable for you.
2) Spray 2-3 sprays of it's a 10 in your hands. Use more if you feel you need it. Spread it in your hands, then apply it to the section
3) Before you add your roller, spray the section REALLY well with water, finger detangle and then use your comb. Even though I use a small tooth comb, I lose very little hair. After I remove the rollers my hair is really smooth, tangle free and I only need to use my fingers to remove shed hair until the next wash.

Thank you! I'm going to give this method a try!!

Ending the night by adding some pictures to my hair inspiration folder.

Attachments

• tumblr_n29vxoKIBd1spkcxyo1_1280 copy.jpg
    tumblr_n29vxoKIBd1spkcxyo1_1280 copy.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 48
  • tumblr_n2fbnqA0ga1qlia32o1_r1_400.jpg
    tumblr_n2fbnqA0ga1qlia32o1_r1_400.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 51
  • tumblr_mx1lctg3sp1spkcxyo1_250.jpg
    tumblr_mx1lctg3sp1spkcxyo1_250.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 49
  • tumblr_n0tb8yGqX91savhafo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n0tb8yGqX91savhafo1_1280.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 51
  • tumblr_n1s9484edM1spkcxyo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n1s9484edM1spkcxyo1_500.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 57

I use a rat tailed comb but not the finest one. Maybe the next size up. I use it just for my ends though. I use a medium size comb on each section first.

Decided to mositurize and seal last night. I used Darcy's leave in, and a butter blend. Afterward I put my hair in two big twist and wrapped it around some flexi rods.

IN flexi rods
ForumRunner_20140327_073930.jpg

Twist at take down

ForumRunner_20140327_073944.jpg

Separated and Fluffed

ForumRunner_20140327_073953.jpg

ForumRunner_20140327_074005.jpg

Full look

ForumRunner_20140327_074014.jpg

ForumRunner_20140327_074023.jpg

It is not only cold but raining, so my hair will be in yet another bun. But i thought I would share my bootleg twist and curl because rollerset hair is the best base for styling!

Last edited:
Decided to mositurize and seal last night. I used Darcy's leave in, and a butter blend. Afterward I put my hair in two big twist and wrapped it around some flexi rods. IN flexi rods Twist at take down Separated and Fluffed Full look It is not only cold but raining, so my hair will be in yet another bun. But i thought I would share my bootleg twist and curl because rollerset hair is the best base for styling!

Love the hair and the nail polish!

After 3 days of no combing and loosely braiding at night my wet set braidout was looking a little rough. So last night I combed it out added a generous amount of AOHSR + grapeseed oil and put it in 3 of the ugliest french braids you've ever seen. I need to get better at french braiding so I can make nice ones like lulu97. I like the result,I was a little heavy handed with the product, but it makes my hair smoother and shiny.

I like having a side part but I think I need to get layers or something. I want to get them but then I'm afraid I won't like it and it will take forever to grow them out.

Attachments

• image-1894560791.jpg
    image-1894560791.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 58
After 3 days of no combing and loosely braiding at night my wet set braidout was looking a little rough. So last night I combed it out added a generous amount of AOHSR + grapeseed oil and put it in 3 of the ugliest french braids you've ever seen. I need to get better at french braiding so I can make nice ones like lulu97. I like the result,I was a little heavy handed with the product, but it makes my hair smoother and shiny. I like having a side part but I think I need to get layers or something. I want to get them but then I'm afraid I won't like it and it will take forever to grow them out.

It's so pretty! Looks so soft....I just wanna reach through the screen and play in it. lol

I got a 30 pack of sponge rollers from cvs this week. Since I work at a restaurant I have to wear my hair up so I will set my hair on the sponge rollers and do some vintage updos. I just love retro hair!

Sally's is running a 25% off products over $50 event for those considering Curlformers.

Promo code is 555102 (Good til 3/29/2014)

I have a rookie question!!! I need somebody to help me with this cause since toaster posted a LC, I have been very intrigued with trying to find where my darn waist is. At first my pregnancy kinda threw me off cause I was thinking that it was deceiving my waistline but looking back, I've always had an hourglass type figure so I'm so confused now.

Pic 1: Last summer (non-pregnant) I think I can see my waist and it seems pretty high. I feel like I'm just really high waisted! What say you?

Pic 2 & 3 Pregnant but waist still defined in Jan of this year (am I safe to assume that my waist is where I marked the top of the W?)

I'm going by this 4th picture that I found for locating waist for sewing pictures.

Also:

I don't have any recent straight hair pictures. Yall know I wear roller sets 90% of the time and I've only straightened it myself a handful of times and the roots never get all the way straight, so I never go by them anyway. I do plan on getting a press at the salon at the end of the year like the one I had last summer though.

Last edited:
Oh and don't judge my tramp stamp. Y'all know we do dumb stuff in our younger years. I do know for sure that's around my tailbone cause I hurt it a long time ago and that's where the doctor always examined. lol

I have a rookie question!!! I need somebody to help me with this cause since toaster posted a LC, I have been very intrigued with trying to find where my darn waist is. At first my pregnancy kinda threw me off cause I was thinking that it was deceiving my waistline but looking back, I've always had an hourglass type figure so I'm so confused now. Pic 1: Last summer (non-pregnant) I think I can see my waist and it seems pretty high. I feel like I'm just really high waisted! What say you? Pic 2 & 3 Pregnant but waist still defined in Jan of this year (am I safe to assume that my waist is where I marked the top of the W?) I'm going by this 4th picture that I found for locating waist for sewing pictures. Also: I don't have any recent straight hair pictures. Yall know I wear roller sets 90% of the time and I've only straightened it myself a handful of times and the roots never get all the way straight, so I never go by them anyway. I do plan on getting a press at the salon at the end of the year like the one I had last summer though.

I would agree where you put the W

Blairx0 I really like your twist and curl! Sorry about the weather!

GettingKinky Your hair is sooo lush. It's amazing.

lulu97 I think you've correctly identified your waist! And it won't be too much longer until you get there.

I'm not in any length challenges, so I'm just hoping I'm close to my waist by December so I can to hip by the next December. Last time it took me about 9 months to get from waist to hip, but I'm not very tall.

Saludable84 toaster

Thanks for your input Ladies. I was originally in the Waist 2014 challenge but dropped out cause I wanted to focus more on health and styles. I know the length will come. However I still have length goals. Just like toaster, I'm hoping to be hip by next year as well. From there depending on how my roller sets fall, I'll determine if I want to go on to tailbone but I'll def stop there.

Some of my longest layers are already at waist if I stretch them but I want full waist before I start claiming it.

I'm going to a Beyoncé sing a long tomorrow so I'll do a quick Cowash and throw my hair into a puff. Will roller set on Sunday as usual.

Oh the memories!!! This is the only style I used to get at the salon from about the year 2000 up until I stopped getting relaxers at the end of 2011. We used to call them "roller wraps". My hair would probably laugh at this now, but I feel good in knowing I can achieve something similar with a full roller set followed by saran wrap. Matter if fact, it will be my next style since I feel like swinging some straight hair for my baby shower.

http://youtu.be/ISg9PdHZ4T4

This video has me wanting to buy all the products she used! This hair is just :lick:

Washed and set today, more like tonight since it's almost 5am!... As tired as I am I'm happy I rollerset, my hair feels so soft and light but bouncy, I almost didn't because it was late but it was definitely worth it! 19 months into my transition to natural!

image-97515519.jpg

image-125499032.jpg

image-2123661188.jpg

image-14614787.jpg

image-857326645.jpg

And to think I was scared to rollerset during my long stretch with all these beautiful natural and transitioner sets up in here! Yall have me feeling inspired!!!

Washed and set today, more like tonight since it's almost 5am!... As tired as I am I'm happy I rollerset, my hair feels so soft and light but bouncy, I almost didn't because it was late but it was definitely worth it! 19 months into my transition to natural!

Mjon912 Looking good as always! I love to see Ladies actually STYLING their hair when growing out relaxers. I think a lot of them scare people away from doing it thinking they gotta walk around looking raggedy the whole time. I know I'm wrong for saying that. Some of them go natural and still look a mess. Ok I'mma stop. My pregnancy hormones got me telling too much of the truth today. lol

Last edited:
Back