Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Likewise. Then I remember the pain.

Have you figured out how to make your hair hold a curl better and frizz less?

Weren't you just threatening to cut them off. I can't keep up. Either way don't change your hair...I like it too much!

Lol! I can't keep up either. One day I want 100% texlaxed hair and the next I want 100% bonelaxed. It depends on the style I'm trying to wear. But having some of both constantly reminds me of the pros and cons of each. That's why bunning is so great, I don't have to think about it. But I promised myself that I'd learn to style my hair this year (not just buns)

toaster

Ooooooh Girl! Lookie what I found!!! I was out shopping yesterday for some banana clips at this beauty supply/salon type place and I saw this. I had been thinking about picking up a dry shampoo for when I have braids or just for going into my 2nd week of a roller set. Saw this baby and I just had to snatch it up.

Last edited:
lulu97

I am forever grateful to you for turning me on to It's a 10. I just shampoo'd and detangled my hair and I fell in love alllll over again. My hair is NOT effortless, I have to do something to it every.single.day, but these products make it easier. :love:

Can't wait to hear how the dry shampoo works for you! I purchased the styling cream and gel for my wash and go's but I'm too nervous to use them! I'm scared they won't provide enough hold and I'll end up looking like a poodle. I'm going to try leaving in some Aussie Moist (It's a 10 costs too much to use for a wash and go, which is weird logic because I leave the instant conditioner in my hair for 30 minutes max) and Xtreme Wetline Gel and see what happens.

You guys! I have half dry half soaking wet helmet head. I definitely need a diffuser. Sitting under the dryer made the top half of my hair dry and the bottom half didn't dry at all.

And perhaps a diffuser would help with the volume? Or just using less product? Maybe I should use the it's a 10 products after all. I was super heavy handed because I'm used to my hair swelling up no matter what. I put some SSI Seyani butter in my hands to scrunch out some of the crunch, so I'm sure the back half of my head will dry into a frizz ball. I hate experimenting...

image-2567450668.jpg

image-1618420110.jpg

image-227408926.jpg

image-960100655.jpg

You guys! I have half dry half soaking wet helmet head. I definitely need a diffuser. Sitting under the dryer made the top half of my hair dry and the bottom half didn't dry at all. And perhaps a diffuser would help with the volume? Or just using less product? Maybe I should use the it's a 10 products after all. I was super heavy handed because I'm used to my hair swelling up no matter what. I put some SSI Seyani butter in my hands to scrunch out some of the crunch, so I'm sure the back half of my head will dry into a frizz ball. I hate experimenting...

I hate experimenting...

But, but, but....you have to experiment to get better Lady :)

Mine looks flat and a little noodle-ish after coming from under the dryer, so I always pull it up into a high pineapple type bun to kinda stretch it out and dry the bottom half. I try to do them in the afternoon so by the time I go to bed it's all the way dry. (I don't wear it down either...I prefer wash and go's in cute buns)

Also I like how it turned out. I'm sure it will get bigger and better as the days go by.

You all are making me want to try Its a 10, but I'm trying to be a minimalist, I must resist. I'm going on day 6 of my set. Foam rollers are awesome!

I love how it turned out!

Yeah I hear you girl...when it comes to products, I have a rule of keeping 15 and under in my stash at all times. I prefer to play around with cute styles to keep things spicy instead of spending my money on trying 50-11 products. Just wait till you have an empty like I did. I've used up 3 products in Feb so I had a little room in my stash for something new. lol (one of which I thought was a staple but can do without)

But if you want to try any product from the it's a 10 line, try the leave in... you will love it!

I need to go to the grocery store and to the gym later this afternoon and tomorrow early afternoon. I pulled it up into a loose bun and it will stay there until tomorrow. Hopefully it's more dry by then.

I did learn that I don't think my hair is long enough (with shrinkage) for a hair shaking cut anytime soon. I'll probably shampoo and set my hair on Sunday night... if I can wait that long.

image-3944482934.jpg

Last edited:
You guys! I have half dry half soaking wet helmet head. I definitely need a diffuser. Sitting under the dryer made the top half of my hair dry and the bottom half didn't dry at all.

And perhaps a diffuser would help with the volume? Or just using less product? Maybe I should use the it's a 10 products after all. I was super heavy handed because I'm used to my hair swelling up no matter what. I put some SSI Seyani butter in my hands to scrunch out some of the crunch, so I'm sure the back half of my head will dry into a frizz ball. I hate experimenting...

You have nice curls. They are nice and large like a thin rope. :lick: Very pretty!

I'm going to mist my hair and do a quick set so I can dust my ends with my Split Ender. So I'm not going to worry about how the rollers go in, just need to get my ends straight. hmm, maybe I will just roll the ends.

Just LCO'd with SD WGBC, CDLS, & Nourish oil.

Flexi straw set with seventeen flexi rods, I broke one :nono:

Air drying under satin bonnet.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

How do you ladies keep your sets from getting frizzy? I leave in the morning and my hair is fine. By the time I get home it's all fuzzy and frizzy and huge except my bonelaxed ends, and it's not even that humid here. I look like I just stepped out of the 70s. Sigh...

Does anyone just spritz their hair mid-week and then rollerset again without washing?

faithVA I've never tried that, but I guess it would be similar to moisturizing your hair with a water based product and the setting it in bantu knots/pin curls? I figure as long as you're not drenching your hair, it should mold to roller again.

How do you ladies keep your sets from getting frizzy? I leave in the morning and my hair is fine. By the time I get home it's all fuzzy and frizzy and huge except my bonelaxed ends, and it's not even that humid here. I look like I just stepped out of the 70s. Sigh...

GettingKinky I just deal with the frizz. It's part of the reality of my natural hair, it's not going to look perfect all the time. It took a while to get used to it (and honestly, I'm still working on it). :ohwell:

GettingKinky I just deal with the frizz. It's part of the reality of my natural hair, it's not going to look perfect all the time. It took a while to get used to it (and honestly, I'm still working on it). :ohwell:

That wasn't the answer I was hoping for. I want the miracle potion not self acceptance. :-)

But seriously, I've gotten over the need to have 100% control over my hair, but I have a certain mental picture of a roller set and frizz isn't part of it. I guess I'll just have to learn to get used to this too.

That wasn't the answer I was hoping for. I want the miracle potion not self acceptance. :-)

But seriously, I've gotten over the need to have 100% control over my hair, but I have a certain mental picture of a roller set and frizz isn't part of it. I guess I'll just have to learn to get used to this too.

I'm sure someone will come in here with real advice! And if it's a miracle potion I'm buying it!!

Frizz you say? My hair always has frizz...like halo type frizz. I don't mind it, I think it makes the set look more natural and effortless...I just don't care for my ends to get frizzy. When that happens, Houston...we.have.a.problem. lol That's when the buns come on the scene.

I've never tried that but just like toaster said, it seems like it may work. Let us know how it turns out :)

It actually turned out really good. I spirited with water mixed with marshmallow balm, combed and rolled. It had mice hold and was soft. I didn't take any pictures though. I was in a rush to dust my ends since it was getting late. Will take pics next time.

It actually turned out really good. I spirited with water mixed with marshmallow balm, combed and rolled. It had mice hold and was soft. I didn't take any pictures though. I was in a rush to dust my ends since it was getting late. Will take pics next time.

faithVA Is that what your hair is in your avatar-?a roller set? Because I've been wondering since yesterday and admiring it, and thinking " that doesn't look like 4 b hair, did she texlax" :)

faithVA Is that what your hair is in your avatar-?a roller set? Because I've been wondering since yesterday and admiring it, and thinking " that doesn't look like 4 b hair, did she texlax" :)

Thank you ajoke. The hair in my avatar is a curlformers set that I did last weekend. It's still my 4b hair and I'm still natural. Curlformers get my hair fairly straight.

Does anyone just spritz their hair mid-week and then rollerset again without washing?

I do in a way. I will pull my hair up with a banana clip, dampen my ends add leave in and seal. Mayve a little something for hold and then use flexi rods. I rock a curly pony then .

I have also done it for an out style and the results looked like this:

ForumRunner_20140308_112022.jpg

ForumRunner_20140308_112034.jpg

I do in a way. I will pull my hair up with a banana clip, dampen my ends add leave in and seal. Mayve a little something for hold and then use flexi rods. I rock a curly pony then .

I have also done it for an out style and the results looked like this:

View attachment 249369

View attachment 249371

Very pretty. Yeah I think it will definitely work for me once I start setting regularly. My results from the test were promising and I start from flat twist and not even a roller set.

I also have to say even after the curls fall this "set refresher" keeps my hair stretched. After a week my hair looks like this,:

ForumRunner_20140308_135510.jpg

ForumRunner_20140308_135519.jpg

It is up in a banana clip in these pics

I could easily see making it two weeks before washing by using flexi rods, wearing a bun or doing a twist out .

I plan to set tomorrow tho

1 day later and my hair is still wet. It feels very soft and moisturized though. Now that I've appeased my wash and go wishes I'm going to wash and set my hair tomorrow evening. I'm excited!

1 day later and my hair is still wet. It feels very soft and moisturized though. Now that I've appeased my wash and go wishes I'm going to wash and set my hair tomorrow evening. I'm excited!

That is my wash and go fear. My hair takes about 3 days to be bone dry. So I know I will never be able to acutally wash and then go. I will have to wash blow dry, style, and something else time consuming. Setting weekly is faster in every way for me and I worry less about damage from shrinkage knots. Your did look nice tho. I however am still too chicken to try it.

Thank you ajoke. The hair in my avatar is a curlformers set that I did last weekend. It's still my 4b hair and I'm still natural. Curlformers get my hair fairly straight.

I agree. I have some knock off curl formers and they do get my hair pretty straight, but the curls don't last at all.

Back