Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

image-105774904.jpg

A roots comparison picture. My hair from a previous set (same rollers) and this set. Still fluffy and voluminous, but not so... crinkly.

coilyhaircutie

I am very natural. I have some wet hair pics on my blog, but I am mostly 4a/b. I set with heat and it gets my roots straight. I also bun and I think that tension contributes to straighter roots also.

I have no delusions. My roots are not 100% straight nor is my style 100% the look you posted, but rollerseting helped me get the hang I think you need for the style you posted. Have you ever set with heat?

Blairx0 no, I usually don't set with heat. Tonight was the first night I set with heat. It got my hair really straight at the roots. I used the extra wide and extra long curlformers.
extra wide curlformers.jpg

I should have taken a picture, but after I took them out, I had to rush to get dressed to go to my cousin's birthday party. Here's what my hair is looking like now after the party.
curlformers post party.jpg
curlformer roots.jpg

So, my plan is to pincurl or put flexirods at my roots. I found 5 flexirods in my roller box (shameful how many different types of curlers I have and I forget about them...:nono: :grin:), I must have gotten them a while back to try them out. Do you use a holding product, or do you just moisturize your hair regularly?

ETA yeah...the flash makes me look bald ahahaha sorry about that. I actually do have hair at my crown :lachen:

Blairx0 no, I usually don't set with heat. Tonight was the first night I set with heat. It got my hair really straight at the roots. I used the extra wide and extra long curlformers.

I should have taken a picture, but after I took them out, I had to rush to get dressed to go to my cousin's birthday party. Here's what my hair is looking like now after the party.

So, my plan is to pincurl or put flexirods at my roots. I found 5 flexirods in my roller box (shameful how many different types of curlers I have and I forget about them...:nono: :grin:), I must have gotten them a while back to try them out. Do you use a holding product, or do you just moisturize your hair regularly?

ETA yeah...the flash makes me look bald ahahaha sorry about that. I actually do have hair at my crown :lachen:

Very Nice. You got good definition. What size curlformers are those?

For this set, I did things a little backwards (wash wise) to eliminate the need to do so much on actual setting day.

Last night, I did a pre-shampoo treatment with coconut oil and conditioner. I had every intention on leaving it in overnight but after a few hours I rinsed it out, washed with Elucence Moisture shampoo and did an overnight DC with Hairveda Sitrinillah instead. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but washing a day before eliminated a few steps and I saved enough energy for me to only focus on setting today. I did steam the Sitrinillah conditioner in for 20 minutes and rinsed before roller setting using It's a 10 as my leave in. I was left with super moisturized, but not too heavy hair. I will def keep this wash routine up...it was just so easy today to set.

I'll probably wear my hair in a banana clip ponytail whenever I wear it down this week, and next week I'll try a that half french braid going into a ponytail that I posted a while back. Outside of that, it will be in my normal bantu bun.

The pictures show my pattern, right after take down and after a little finger combing. You can tell on those bottom rollers, I was on the struggle bus cause the hair on those jokers are lumpy. So my roots are not straight at all back there.

Oh and I debated for a looooong time on if I should post that picture from the back. During my entire pregnancy most of my weight gain has been in my arms and thighs. I was kinda ashamed to post a picture showing how swollen and huge my arms are but I figured we are dang near family so (((shrugs))) what the heyal. I'm also trying to leverage taking the pic over my huge belly so I guess I can use that as an excuse. lol

Last edited:
For this set, I did things a little backwards (wash wise) to eliminate the need to do so much on actual setting day.

Last night, I did a pre-shampoo treatment with coconut oil and conditioner. I had every intention on leaving it in overnight but after a few hours I rinsed it out, washed with Elucence Moisture shampoo and did an overnight DC with Hairveda Sitrinillah instead. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but washing a day before eliminated a few steps and I saved enough energy for me to only focus on setting today. I did steam the Sitrinillah conditioner in for 20 minutes and rinsed before roller setting using It's a 10 as my leave in. I was left with super moisturized, but not too heavy hair. I will def keep this wash routine up...it was just so easy today to set.

I'll probably wear my hair in a banana clip ponytail whenever I wear it down this week, and next week I'll try a that half french braid going into a ponytail that I posted a while back. Outside of that, it will be in my normal bantu bun.

The pictures show my pattern, right after take down and after a little finger combing. You can tell on those bottom rollers, I was on the struggle bus cause the hair on those jokers are lumpy. So my roots are not straight at all back there.

Oh and I debated for a looooong time on if I should post that picture from the back. During my entire pregnancy most of my weight gain has been in my arms and thighs. I was kinda ashamed to post a picture showing how swollen and huge my arms are but I figured we are dang near family so (((shrugs))) what the heyal. I'm also trying to leverage taking the pic over my huge belly so I guess I can use that as an excuse. lol

Very pretty curls :lick: Now you know, we can't even see your body while we are focused on your curls. You are just self conscious. You still look good. :yep:

Very Nice. You got good definition. What size curlformers are those?

thanks faithVA! I used the extra wide and extra long curlformers that give "barrel" curls. They're the yellow and magenta ones.

I tried your suggestion Blairx0 and I slept in flexirods last night. I used KCKT to seal my ends before wrapping my hair on flexirods. My hair came out pretty well, my hair hangs down at the roots and curls at the ends. Thanks for the suggestion!

Before separating out the sections
flexirods.jpg
flexirods2.jpg
flexirods3.jpg

After gently raking my fingers through my roots and separating sections
flexirods 4.jpg

I'm going to play around with flexirods and pincurls with different products until I get my ideal second and third day hair. I think I'm almost there! :)

Some pictures from my hair inspiration folder.

Attachments

• 0ee646b0eeebf0b11c35287d31bd231a.jpg
    0ee646b0eeebf0b11c35287d31bd231a.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 9e6585b07707659c68c5e1254cdb3217.jpg
    9e6585b07707659c68c5e1254cdb3217.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 63d3b6b16636b0071844a391c8fcfb4e.jpg
    63d3b6b16636b0071844a391c8fcfb4e.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 48
  • f97952cc8bbf056252e5720b87fa0190.jpg
    f97952cc8bbf056252e5720b87fa0190.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 44
  • tumblr_mk58mcuMZI1r6yyiuo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mk58mcuMZI1r6yyiuo1_1280.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 66
Sorry for blowing up this thread today but I have some questions:

I'm thinking about doing a perm rod set next Sunday, just for fun. Do you think the rolling motion Naptural85 used in her perm rod set video (instead of rolling she twisted her wrist to get the hair around the rod) would work on wet hair? Also do you think that motion would work for regular rollers as well? Just curious.

Sorry for blowing up this thread today but I have some questions:

I'm thinking about doing a perm rod set next Sunday, just for fun. Do you think the rolling motion Naptural85 used in her perm rod set video (instead of rolling she twisted her wrist to get the hair around the rod) would work on wet hair? Also do you think that motion would work for regular rollers as well? Just curious.

Yes it works on wet hair. I don't know about the rollers though. I know it works on flexi rods.

Has anyone see this new video by AndreasChoice? It's a DIY Hair Growth Treatment. I'm thinking of trying it, but with ginger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxEuinhfEwk

I don't know how I feel about onions in my hair :lol: but who knows! The sulfuric acid may do my scalp some good! I know I neglect my scalp. I should massage it more, but for some reason I always forget, or when I do remember, it's a one-off thing (like once every two months lol).

ETA: oooh I'm going to try this. I'll do it as a prepoo treatment before my next wash- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Sy7Wh5R58 Maybe I'll do my own personal challenge- before each wash, I can do this ginger treatment. We'll see how it goes, I'll update here

Last edited:
Previously roller set HOTD---Banana clip ponytail.

Pic 1: type of banana clips I prefer. The clasp holds better and doesn't snag my hair

Pic 2/3: cool tip I learned from a poster here. I left a small amount of hair down in the back to give the ponytail more length. I think it was sunnieb who talked about this but I don't want to @ her as I'm not 100% sure who gave this tip, but I do know it was one of our beautiful relaxed Diva's. This was my first time trying it but def wont be my last :)

Pic 4: I couldn't reach my arms out far enough to get the entire length so this is it from the side.

Pic 5: from the back

Banana clip ponytails are my favorite styles to wear from roller sets, as they keep my hair off my face but still showcase the curls. Also, my hair has been in a low bantu bun since my last set. So this is why the curls look like they do.

Last edited:
Has anyone see this new video by AndreasChoice? It's a DIY Hair Growth Treatment. I'm thinking of trying it, but with ginger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxEuinhfEwk I don't know how I feel about onions in my hair :lol: but who knows! The sulfuric acid may do my scalp some good! I know I neglect my scalp. I should massage it more, but for some reason I always forget, or when I do remember, it's a one-off thing (like once every two months lol). ETA: oooh I'm going to try this. I'll do it as a prepoo treatment before my next wash- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Sy7Wh5R58 Maybe I'll do my own personal challenge- before each wash, I can do this ginger treatment. We'll see how it goes, I'll update here

Never heard of that treatment but my goodness her hair is beautiful! Let us know how it works if you decide to try it....and don't forget to wash that onion smell out. lol

Previously roller set HOTD---Banana clip ponytail.

Pic 1: type of banana clips I prefer. The clasp holds better and doesn't snag my hair

Pic 2/3: cool tip I learned from a poster here. I left a small amount of hair down in the back to give the ponytail more length. I think it was sunnieb who talked about this but I don't want to @ her as I'm not 100% sure who gave this tip, but I do know it was one of our beautiful relaxed Diva's. This was my first time trying it but def wont be my last :)

Pic 4: I couldn't reach my arms out far enough to get the entire length so this is it from the side.

Pic 5: from the back

Banana clip ponytails are my favorite styles to wear from roller sets, as they keep my hair off my face but still showcase the curls. Also, my hair has been in a low bantu bun since my last set. So this is why the curls look like they do.

That makes so much sense to let the hair hang out at the bottom. Gives you much more length. Beautiful ponytail.

I am hoping to set tomorrow! My hair needs some attention as I have been abusive this week with my ponytail brushing against my scarf.

Still planning on not setting again until Sunday. I will do a protein prepoo, shampoo, steam, and hopefully perm rod set.

I moisturize and seal my hair every night, but tonight I'm going to try and put it in 10 twists for a twist out on stretched hair.

Back