Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

I'm not giving up on rollersetting, but with AOHSR+ grapeseed oil and 2 braids I can get a good looking braid out and it's way less effort than setting. And it seems to hold up really well. Maybe I should use the same products for my roller sets.

Attachments

• image-1273526175.jpg
    image-1273526175.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 81
does anyone know how to achieve this style without flat-ironing the roots?
http://0.tqn.com/d/beauty/1/0/P/C/1/rachel-bilson-long-wavy-hair.jpg

I like the volume my rollersets give me, but sometimes I wish that my roots could lie flat and just the ends would be curly. I was brainstorming how I could do that. Maybe if I pinned my hair down flat to my scalp after taking the rollers out and just pincurled the ends? Or maybe a ponytail rollerset would achieve this look? I've tried combing the curls out from the roots only, and 1 of 2 things happen- either the curls bounce back up OR I end up making a lot of frizz. I'm open to all your suggestions! :)

Last edited:
does anyone know how to achieve this style without flat-ironing the roots?
http://0.tqn.com/d/beauty/1/0/P/C/1/rachel-bilson-long-wavy-hair.jpg

I like the volume my rollersets give me, but sometimes I wish that my roots could lie flat and just the ends would be curly. I was brainstorming how I could do that. Maybe if I pinned my hair down flat to my scalp after taking the rollers out and just pincurled the ends? Or maybe a ponytail rollerset would achieve this look? I've tried combing the curls out from the roots only, and 1 of 2 things happen- either the curls bounce back up OR I end up making a lot of frizz. I'm open to all your suggestions! :)

Are you natural or relaxed?

If you are natural maybe if you did a normal set, let it fall and then used flexi rods?
if you are relaxed maybe a ponytail set. I have only had luck with the former

I want a hot air brush...

ETA: I don't know if it's worth it because I sweat every day... but I want one.

Last edited:
GettingKinky and Blairx0 - Thanks! :thankyou:

ETA-
Blairx0 I'm natural. So what you're saying is, I should let my set fall, and then on day 2 or day 3, just add flexirods to the ends of my hair? I don't have flexirods, but I'll try that with permrods or pincurling. I'll let you guys know how it turns out when I do try it

Got conditioner in my hair now! I wish wash day didn't have to be a whole process lol

Last edited:
I found a loophole for posting my braid out picture here, I did my braid out on rollerset hair. :-) This time I did 2 french braids so the waves would start closer to my scalp. I suck at french braiding, but it was good enough.

Attachments

• image-1433286460.jpg
    image-1433286460.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 49
  • image-3842828160.jpg
    image-3842828160.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 48
I agree. I have some knock off curl formers and they do get my hair pretty straight, but the curls don't last at all.

I can get three day hair as long as I don't use products while setting. My hair usually grizzled before my curls fall. Also if I let my hair cool before taking out the rollers it helps.

I found a loophole for posting my braid out picture here, I did my braid out on rollerset hair. :-) This time I did 2 french braids so the waves would start closer to my scalp. I suck at french braiding, but it was good enough.

I was sitting here hating that your braid out had so little shrinkage and was so smooth for a wet set. Now Im glad I can't my hate to myself!

Great results. I do something similar with flat twist out on old Rollerset hair

I'm not giving up on rollersetting, but with AOHSR+ grapeseed oil and 2 braids I can get a good looking braid out and it's way less effort than setting. And it seems to hold up really well. Maybe I should use the same products for my roller sets.
See!! That's why I bowed out of this thread so quick :lol:! Your braidout is absolutely divine!!! :lick:

I was sitting here hating that your braid out had so little shrinkage and was so smooth for a wet set. Now Im glad I can't my hate to myself! Great results. I do something similar with flat twist out on old Rollerset hair

This week I'm going to try a braid out on air dried hair. I'll see how it compares to one on rollerset hair.

GettingKinky and Blairx0 - Thanks! :thankyou:

ETA-
Blairx0 I'm natural. So what you're saying is, I should let my set fall, and then on day 2 or day 3, just add flexirods to the ends of my hair? I don't have flexirods, but I'll try that with permrods or pincurling. I'll let you guys know how it turns out when I do try it

Got conditioner in my hair now! I wish wash day didn't have to be a whole process lol

I know you are sick of these pics, but these are the results I got

ForumRunner_20140309_170625.jpg

ForumRunner_20140309_170641.jpg

ForumRunner_20140309_170656.jpg

My roots got really straight and I only used two on each side, or four in total. If you used more you could get that loose look you posted....I am guessing

Beautiful Blairx0!!!

I just wanted to update and say it was super easy to wash and detangle my hair after my wash and go. Leaving in a silicone DC and using gel on top prevented my hair from tangling or knotting on the ends. I'll probably try it again in a few weeks after I get a diffuser. I liked it more and more as time went on.

Also going to try and stretch tonight's roller set (currently DCing) for a week. On Thursday night I'm going to use the It's a 10 Miracle Styling Cream and put my hair in 8-10 twists for a weekend stretched twist out.

Last edited:
I know you are sick of these pics, but these are the results I got

View attachment 249697

View attachment 249699

View attachment 249701

My roots got really straight and I only used two on each side, or four in total. If you used more you could get that loose look you posted....I am guessing
I agree with Saludable84- no one gets tired of your pics!

Blairx0 How did you get your roots so straight? You're natural too, right? I don't think I've ever gotten my roots to be so straight from rollersetting alone, I'd have to blowdry my roots too. Could it be because I always airdry my sets overnight?

I decided to dry my hair another way today. I'm under my hooded drier now and it's an infernoooo :blush: whew! I turned my space heater off, no need for that now lol. I hope doing this will give me a sleeker set and smoother roots.

It's been about 11 days since I washed and I'm starting to get that "not-so-fresh-scalpy-smell". I don't know how to explain it but I'm sure y'all know what I mean. My hair actually feels pretty good but I can't get past that smell. I already had some coconut oil in my hair so I'm just gonna add some conditioner on top and do an overnight DC. I'll set tomorrow.

coilyhaircutie

I am very natural. I have some wet hair pics on my blog, but I am mostly 4a/b. I set with heat and it gets my roots straight. I also bun and I think that tension contributes to straighter roots also.

I have no delusions. My roots are not 100% straight nor is my style 100% the look you posted, but rollerseting helped me get the hang I think you need for the style you posted. Have you ever set with heat?

toaster

Glad your wash and go grew on you. Most beauty supply store sell diffusers as they are kind of universal attachment, so maybe you can pick one up without too much trouble.

I hope you don't abandon us though! Seeing your sets always remind me I need to roll because it creates such great results and prevents such big setbacks!

toaster

Glad your wash and go grew on you. Most beauty supply store sell diffusers as they are kind of universal attachment, so maybe you can pick one up without too much trouble.

I hope you don't abandon us though! Seeing your sets always remind me I need to roll because it creates such great results and prevents such big setbacks!

Oh I'm not going anywhere! At the most I would wash and go on the weekends, but in reality I'll probably do it 5 or 6 more times in the year. I'm a creature of habit and roller setting has become a habit.

coilyhaircutie

I am very natural. I have some wet hair pics on my blog, but I am mostly 4a/b. I set with heat and it gets my roots straight. I also bun and I think that tension contributes to straighter roots also.

I have no delusions. My roots are not 100% straight nor is my style 100% the look you posted, but rollerseting helped me get the hang I think you need for the style you posted. Have you ever set with heat?

:perplexed: I didn't know you were natural. I had to go look at your blog and see what you were talking about :lol:

image-1263591395.jpg

image-531348560.jpg
I bought a $14 hot air brush from target and I tried it today. I did my usual setting, let the rollers dry, and used the brush on my roots only for about 15 seconds (that might be an over-estimate). The brush is 150 watts and wasn't hot enough to make me want to take my hand off of it, but it heated up a little I guess. I started combing the entire curl first with my comb, and then using the brush on my roots, but I eventually realized that wasn't necessary, and just combed the roots.

Whoa did it give me "big" hair. But that doesn't really matter because I moisturized my hair and put it in three big bantu knots which will tame it down again. It was kind of fun using the brush. I can't imagine people actually using this to blow dry their hair, but I did buy the cheapest one. I used the plastic attachment because the boar bristle scared me. I don't really think continued use will give me heat damage, but I'll keep an eye on it.

This first picture is a picture of what my curl/roots look like before using the brush.
image-2663514543.jpg

image-1404506240.jpg

image-428211793.jpg

image-4215492317.jpg

Last edited:
:perplexed: I didn't know you were natural. I had to go look at your blog and see what you were talking about :lol:

I'm don't know if i am shocked because that means my sets look relaxed/texlaxed smooth or because my constant mention with my hardships didn't point to natural hair. Either way I am natural no texlaxed or any treatments for me.

Either way thanks for checking out my blog!

My being natural is also why I always try to answer your questions when I can. I think our hair even has a similar texture.

toaster

Your set looks so light and fluffy. How are you liking the vented rollers?

Also what are the brush/combs in your last pic? Are those the hot brushes you mentioned earlier?

toaster

Your set looks so light and fluffy. How are you liking the vented rollers?

Also what are the brush/combs in your last pic? Are those the hot brushes you mentioned earlier?

Ah you beat me! I uploaded the pictures from my phone and then edited the post with text. It's so much easier that way.

I really like the vented rollers. I think when I eventually size up I'll purchase the halo instead of the hourglass because I'm not really sure the hourglass is doing anything, but 60 minutes of drying time is awesome.

And yep! That's the hot air brush I was talking about earlier. I have no patience, so when I think I want something, I usually buy it. :nono:

View attachment 249735

View attachment 249737
I bought a $14 hot air brush from target and I tried it today. I did my usual setting, let the rollers dry, and used the brush on my roots only for about 15 seconds (that might be an over-estimate). The brush is 150 watts and wasn't hot enough to make me want to take my hand off of it, but it heated up a little I guess. I started combing the entire curl first with my comb, and then using the brush on my roots, but I eventually realized that wasn't necessary, and just combed the roots.

Whoa did it give me "big" hair. But that doesn't really matter because I moisturized my hair and put it in three big bantu knots which will tame it down again. It was kind of fun using the brush. I can't imagine people actually using this to blow dry their hair, but I did buy the cheapest one. I used the plastic attachment because the boar bristle scared me. I don't really think continued use will give me heat damage, but I'll keep an eye on it.

This first picture is a picture of what my curl/roots look like before using the brush.
View attachment 249739

Is this after you took out the roller?

Your hair has very nice volume and is so fluffy and full.

I'm don't know if i am shocked because that means my sets look relaxed/texlaxed smooth or because my constant mention with my hardships didn't point to natural hair. Either way I am natural no texlaxed or any treatments for me.

Either way thanks for checking out my blog!

My being natural is also why I always try to answer your questions when I can. I think our hair even has a similar texture.

It is because your sets are so smooth. I thought you were relaxed. I obviously am not paying enough attention. When I saw your wet hair I had a draw drop moment. Your blog gave me hope :yep: Now I can't wait to get some of those big ol lollipop curls like you. :yep:

Is this after you took out the roller?

Your hair has very nice volume and is so fluffy and full.

Yep! I used the brush after my hair was dry form the set. I wouldn't use it on wet hair, and even the box said for "damp or dry" styling.

Back