Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

I think it's so funny that you say you aren't setting for awhile when you plan to set again in 2 weeks. That's pretty soon in my book. :-)

Make sure you post pics of your wash n go. I wanna see it.

Ha! It sounds a little weird to me as well, since I just started setting in January.

Weirdly enough, my hair felt softer with the use of the CD Setting Foam. I guess I'll finish the bottle before deciding whether or not I'll repurchase. I combed my hair out, moisturized and sealed (Entwine Butter Cream Hydrator and Shescentit Seyani Hair Butter) and put in three bantu knots. We're having a snow day tomorrow, so my hair will probably be put away until my Zumba class in the evening.

I could use some moisturizing help. I'm natural and I don't use any products with cones. My hair still tends to need more moisture the day after a set. Products with glycerin make my hair poof and I tend to lose my curl. My hair holds a curl very well, it just tends to dry out a bit too much right now.

What would you ladies recommend I use to moisturize my hair before I pin curl it? This is what I have on hand right now.

Nubian Heritage Heat Protectant Products (foam, leave-in and a spritz)

Leave-Ins

[*]Marshmallow Moisture Balm
[*]Coily Head Chick Ultimate Hair Treat
[*]Dax Roots Olive Cream

Moisturizers/Sealers

[*]Curl Junkie Argan & Olive Oil Daily Hair conditioner
[*]BASK Palm Tapioca Hair Cream
[*]Bask Silk & Honey Detangling Hair Milk
[*]HairVeda Red Tea Daily Nourishing Conditioner
[*]Hairveda Red Tea Nourishing Satin Daily Moisturizer

Stylers & Gels

[*]Taliah Waajid Curling Creme
[*]Miss Jessies Pillow Soft Curls
[*]Miss Jessies Jelly Soft Curls
[*]Eden Bodyworks All natural Curl Defining Creme
[*]Aunt Jackies Curl La La Defining Curl Custard
[*]Curls Creme Brulee
[*]Curls Styling Gel
[*]Hairveda Whipped Gelly
[*]Hairveda Whipped Creme

Oils & Pomades

[*]Natural Oasis Hair and Scalp Grease
[*]Hairveda Hydra Silica Tea Mist
[*]Natty Butter Cinnamon Honey Heaven
[*]Camille Rose Curlaid Moisture Butter
[*]Olive Conditioning Pomade
[*]Hairveda CoCasta Shikakai Hair Oil
[*]Hairveda Jardin Hair Conditioning Herbal Hair Oil
[*]Hairveda Almond Glaze Pomade
[*]Hairveda Herbal Green Pomade
[*]Jamaican Mango & Lime Black Castor Oil
[*]Dax Roots Jojoba Oil

Thanks for your help.

I really wanted to reply to this post even though I don't have experience with the products listed. I'm also on a no cone diet for the moment. But I do mositurze and seal when I Bantu knot or use flexi rods ( I have yet to learn to pin curl). I use Darcy's daily leave in. I have also used Giovanni direct.
For me anything thin and watery will get the job done. Just a touch on my ends and lengeth followed by a light oil (grape seed) or a butter is enough for me. I do have to have togood tension to avoid reversion, but in the morning my hair is soft and lush.

Sorry I couldnt pick from the list, but o don't want to speak on products I don't know.

I really wanted to reply to this post even though I don't have experience with the products listed. I'm also on a no cone diet for the moment. But I do mositurze and seal when I Bantu knot or use flexi rods ( I have yet to learn to pin curl). I use Darcy's daily leave in. I have also used Giovanni direct. For me anything thin and watery will get the job done. Just a touch on my ends and lengeth followed by a light oil (grape seed) or a butter is enough for me. I do have to have togood tension to avoid reversion, but in the morning my hair is soft and lush. Sorry I couldnt pick from the list, but o don't want to speak on products I don't know.

faithVA

I'm not natural but I can definitely attest to the DB daily leave-in. It's watery and creamy at the same time and works really well. Find a good medium in one of your products.

faithVA I like DB daily leave in too. I can use it without my set reverting.

I'm going to buy strawllers today. I think they will help me get my roots straighter. I hope I can fit them under my dryer. I just can't decide if I should stick to my current size 1 1/8" or go up to 1 1/4"

coilyhaircutie
I use Chi Silk Infusion as my leave in and then LottaBody (1:3 dilution) for setting

lulu97 - I kinda liked the high ponytail too, but DH kept calling me poodle. I don't think he's a huge fan of lots of curls.

Every time I change my style, my SO sings a song about it depending on what he thinks it looks like. With the last curlformer set, I got the Good Ship Lollipop. When I had in kinky twist, I got some Rastafarian song. I have learned to take it all in stride now. I expect a song now and I am just curious as to which one it is going to be.

Don't know your DH but take it all in stride. He may not think calling your hair a poodle as something bad.

I really wanted to reply to this post even though I don't have experience with the products listed. I'm also on a no cone diet for the moment. But I do mositurze and seal when I Bantu knot or use flexi rods ( I have yet to learn to pin curl). I use Darcy's daily leave in. I have also used Giovanni direct.
For me anything thin and watery will get the job done. Just a touch on my ends and lengeth followed by a light oil (grape seed) or a butter is enough for me. I do have to have togood tension to avoid reversion, but in the morning my hair is soft and lush.

Sorry I couldnt pick from the list, but o don't want to speak on products I don't know.

Thank You. I appreciate it. I will continue to think on it between now and when I do my next set. It will be a while before I wear a set all week anyway. My hair is too short for me to be bothered. I don't have the patience to put my hair up every night.

faithVA

I'm not natural but I can definitely attest to the DB daily leave-in. It's watery and creamy at the same time and works really well. Find a good medium in one of your products.

faithVA I like DB daily leave in too. I can use it without my set reverting.

I'm going to buy strawllers today. I think they will help me get my roots straighter. I hope I can fit them under my dryer. I just can't decide if I should stick to my current size 1 1/8" or go up to 1 1/4"

Thanks ladies. I will put it on my wish list and stalk the exchange board to see if I can pick up a sample bottle.

faithVA I have a full and unused Darcy's Sweet cocoa curl cream you can have! Have you used this product before? I loved it as a leave in on wet hair (I'm low porosity as well) but the directions say it can be used on dry hair as well. I think it would be perfect for moisturizing sets.

image-4126898756.jpg

If you don't have an aversion to any of those ingredients PM me! I'm not using it, so I won't feel bad if you use it and hate it, I promise!

My set is pretty much dead. Coloring last night frizzed and tangled up the length, and this morning's workout made the roots puffy. I have it in a ponytail today. I will either bantu knot or use my foam rollers tonight to try and revive it. I have to get more than 3 days out of this effort.

Attachments

• image-1254513527.jpg
    image-1254513527.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 24
faithVA I have a full and unused Darcy's Sweet cocoa curl cream you can have! Have you used this product before? I loved it as a leave in on wet hair (I'm low porosity as well) but the directions say it can be used on dry hair as well. I think it would be perfect for moisturizing sets.

View attachment 248873

If you don't have an aversion to any of those ingredients PM me! I'm not using it, so I won't feel bad if you use it and hate it, I promise!

Aw toaster, that is so sweet, kind and generous. I feel guilty though like I was begging :lol: If your offer still stands near the end of spring I would be glad to buy it from you. I really need to work through this stash of stuff I have to figure out what the heck I'm doing with stuff. I feel a little overwhelmed with the size of my stash.

Aw toaster, that is so sweet, kind and generous. I feel guilty though like I was begging :lol: If your offer still stands near the end of spring I would be glad to buy it from you. I really need to work through this stash of stuff I have to figure out what the heck I'm doing with stuff. I feel a little overwhelmed with the size of my stash.

I'm sure it will still be there in the spring! I get rid of my stash by sending products to my mom, but now she's complaining that she has too much stuff. :nono: I just tell myself that trial and error is necessary.

I'm sure it will still be there in the spring! I get rid of my stash by sending products to my mom, but now she's complaining that she has too much stuff. :nono: I just tell myself that trial and error is necessary.

Thank You. I hope I don't seem ungrateful. I'm just a person who is easily overwhelmed when I have more than 3 choices. I have to get rid of stuff before I get new stuff. Too much stuff makes me unhappy :perplexed: :lachen:

36 strawllers plus shipping is almost $50. That's too much for some plastic tubes. :ohwell: I guess I won't be getting them unless I find a coupon code.

toaster I didn't know you were a roller setting rookie. You do it so often and you're so quick I just assumed you were a long time vet.

@gettingkiny

Have you considered flexi rods or curlformers in lieu if the strawllers?

I just watched two vids on their site. Are they using long bobbie pins to secure the strawller?

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

I have flexirods but the strawllers seem like they will dry faster. When I tried a wet flexirod set it took forever to dry. I think the strawllers look more promising than curlformers because I can see my hair and make sure its smooth before I sit under the dryer. And they seem less scary. I'm pretty sure they use bobby pins to secure the strawllers.

@gettinkinky

Have you considered the hourglass or Annie rollers to decrease your drying time? What kind and size (rollers) are you using now?

MileHighDiva I have 1 1/8" magnetic rollers with snap on covers. The rollers have four rows of vent holes. I want to stick with smooth rollers to get the smoothest possible set.

Are the hourglass or Annie rollers smooth?

I don't want to interrupt but GettingKinky I promise that you don't need to see your hair to know it's smooth in a curlformer. The installation has a bit of a learning curve, but nothing like roller setting in my opinion, and your hair will be smooth from root to tip. I think you'd love them.

MileHighDiva I have 1 1/8" magnetic rollers with snap on covers. The rollers have four rows of vent holes. I want to stick with smooth rollers to get the smoothest possible set.

Are the hourglass or Annie rollers smooth?

I think think the tension from the plastic mesh rollers will make your hair smooth. In addition, dry faster.

I think you should buy some red 1 1/2" plastic mesh rollers and give them a whirl, before spending all that $ on strawllers. Your hair is long enough to graduate to 1 1/2" rollers.

If you don't like them, you're not over invested monetarily. If you do, you can invest in the white hour glass rollers, because the red ones don't come bigger than 1 1/2."

Don't sleep on curlformers! I get chemical and thermally relaxed results with them. I have the extra long & wide knock offs. For Mother's Day I plan on buying the 24" barrel curl curlformers. I think the barrel curls would look lovely on your hair.

BRB, going to try to find a pick of LaurenMechelle in the barrel curls. She's relaxed/texlaxed like you.

MileHighDiva at one point I was considering the red plastic mesh rollers. If you think I can smooth results I'm willing to give them a try. I have 12 1 1/2" vented magnetic so I can compare the two in one set. I like the small 1 1/8" curls but 1 1/2" could be nice too.

Since you and toaster speak so highly of curlformers I will have to research those some more too. But aren't they pricey as well?

Last edited:
GettingKinky

You can buy knock offs on eBay for less.

If you still buy the strawllers, please remember to provide us with a review.

I believe Amazon sells the knock offs as well. The Curlformer sight also has sales. I think I purchased my last set for 25% off on the curlformer site.

And I can confirm what the other ladies said, that the curlformers get your hair straight. I also think they dry fairly fast.

I also agree with toaster and MileHighDiva about curlformers. Curlformers are great and really do provide a smooth set. I also agree with not sleeping on them. They are a pain in the behind. Once u get thru your first install, I think the curlformers will be easy after that. I love my curlformers

I did a perm rod set last night. It took me an hour and a half to detangle AND completely set my hair. Now that is a record!

I think it was so quick because my hair was so soft and detangled after steaming and DCing. My ends were so moisturized they were practically straight. I'm so happy I got my steamer :) After shampooing, I untwisted each section of my hair, loaded it with conditioner, twisted it back up, and steamed each section for 2-3 min with the Q-redew. I also think prepooing may have made my hair more manageable. I did the Chicoro prepoo for the first time, and modified the measurements it to my hair length- 1/3 cup coconut oil, 2/3 cups aloe vera juice & 2 tbsp olice oil.

Here are my results:
DSCF2465.jpg

flash
DSCF2469.jpg

no flash
DSCF2474.jpg

DSCF2477.jpg

No one asked me GettingKinky but, I have done curlformers and prefer traditional sets. I may be biased because I never figured out how to get second and third day hair with curlformers like I did with rollersets. The dry time using curlformers was faster than my traditional sets and the stretch was also deeper.

If I could have styled my curlformer hair I would have loved them. Maybe one day I will dust them back off. However now that I am hooked on the vented hourglass rollers, I don't see switching it up any time soon.

coilyhaircutie

Great results! I thought I wanted to try perm rods, but your results are much better than mine! Your hair looks like a curly bob with lots of body. I'm jealous.

"Any March setting/hair goals?" lulu97 - I think this is a great question and even though it isn't the 1st I wanted to answer.My March goals are:

1. More detangled sets
  2. smoother ends
  3. Use roller pins

I am keeping my goals simple this month because I am putting my hair on an edible-esque diet. I plan to DC with only yogurt, honey and olive oil. Use flax seed gel for hold and Darcy's daily leave in to moisturize and oil to seal. Shampoo Bar ( rhoussal and beer thing I got on etsy) to cleanse. I am trying to take my hair back to basic in the hopes of more shine and smoothness for summer!

Back