Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

I will try to pin curl it tonight. :look: I am ready to go back to the start of this thread and read through all of your tips. This thread might be addictive :yep:

The dryer has me so sleepy. My set is done. I will come back with a full review post nap

ForumRunner_20140301_160225.jpg

ForumRunner_20140301_160225.jpg

ForumRunner_20140301_160239.jpg

ForumRunner_20140301_160249.jpg

Last edited:
I was bored so I went ahead and trimmed. Took my time so I could go through out my entire head section by section. I trimmed about 1/2 an inch over the colored sections and maybe even less than that everywhere else. It just really didn't need it and I know I owe it all to roller setting since it keeps my ends smooth and tangle free! I don't care about it being even since my hair almost always have some type of curl at the end.

Last edited:
Bling!!! Where did all that shine come from?! Did you use an oil?

You asked me that last time too. Maybe it is the flash. I put oil in my DC mix, but none after rinsing. I do think the flax gel had something to do with it.

Very pretty and bouncy. Did the dryer knock you out? :lol:

That dryer was sleeping pill! I was yawning and Pandora was playing some slow jams. I was put it on for extra time just so I could relax

I am getting a little discouraged. It took me 54 minutes to put in 29 rollers, and that doesn't include the time I spent detangling with my wide and medium tooth comb. It does include the fine tooth comb time since I only use that when I roller set. I had to redo rollers 2 and 3 times to get them smooth and my set still isn't very neat. Now I have to spend an hour plus under the dryer. Sigh.... I really admire all you ladies that set every week and sometimes multiple times per week. I just can't imagine putting in that much effort.

^^^I feel the same. GettingKinky. I think my placement is the problem, especially with these darn slide in clips. The mohawk part is easy. The sides are hard.

I am getting a little discouraged. It took me 54 minutes to put in 29 rollers, and that doesn't include the time I spent detangling with my wide and medium tooth comb. It does include the fine tooth comb time since I only use that when I roller set. I had to redo rollers 2 and 3 times to get them smooth and my set still isn't very neat. Now I have to spend an hour plus under the dryer. Sigh.... I really admire all you ladies that set every week and sometimes multiple times per week. I just can't imagine putting in that much effort.

GettingKinky

Don't get discouraged! I've been setting my hair for years and guess what?

1) I don't time my sets. I just make sure my setting day is a day when I have absolutely nothing to do or at least have a few hours to spare. I put on some music, get some wine (well I used to before getting preggo) and just take my time. Don't try to race or outdo the time it took to do your past sets. That will drive you crazy. Don't focus on time, just focus on technique.

It also helps to set sitting down. Before the military movers broke it, I used to have a well lit vanity mirror set with a comfy tall chair where I could relax and do my sets. I am saving up for the one in the picture. (Well I am saving up for my entire glam room but that's another story) lol

Side note: It doesn't even have to be a vanity set, just pull up a chair in your bathroom. I do this now from time to time.

2) I have to redo rollers all.the.time! Sometimes I get to the part where I'm about to snap on the cap and BAM, some strands fall out or get that weird webbing thing and have to start over!

3) There are times when I have to take down an entire section if I get to another section and don't have enough space or used too much/too little hair. grrrrrr

4) There are times when I want to get from under my dryer then throw it back into the fire pits of hell from whence it came! Then I think about how I don't want to airdry for 3 days. Ok come back to momma my baby hot box. lol

All in all, roller setting has it's ups and downs but the results always keep me going back.

Throwing some hugs and roller setting love to you. xoxo

Last edited:
Thanks lulu97, but if a pro like you still has difficulties, I guess I can forget ever getting this process to a point where it's quick easy and painless. I can't imagine having to redo a whole section. I would probably just break down and cry. But you are right I do like the results.

Froreal3 I'm using the snap cover rollers. I'm not nearly good enough to try the clips that's a whole nother level.

[USER said:
Blairx0;19725929[/USER]]You asked me that last time too. Maybe it is the flash. I put oil in my DC mix, but none after rinsing. I do think the flax gel had something to do with it.

That dryer was sleeping pill! I was yawning and Pandora was playing some slow jams. I was put it on for extra time just so I could relax

Did you like the flax seed gel? It seems so soft and bouncy. I wouldn't have expected that with the gel. Did you put anything in your gel?

well done faithVA you will have to report back how setting effects you hair's ability to maintain moisture. I think setting was a turning point for me with moisture so I am curious to see what another Lo po lady thinks

How long does your hair stay moisturized with a rollerset?

I am happy with my results. It came out better than last time. I just separated the curls about 30 minutes ago. It takes forever for me to take these bad pictures :lol: When I finally woke up, I took out the curlformers and then let my hair sit for 15 minutes. I sealed with a shining balm. And I actually tried to pin curl the areas I sleep on. I definitely need to work on that. But I think it worked out well enough :yep:

Love it faith...it looks so soft. :-)

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Don't get discouraged GettingKinky! We're all still learning.

I used bobby pins instead of metal clips last set and it was sooo much easier. I think for the next set I'll go back to using setting foam. I bought it, so I might as well use it. I always want to see if that helps my roots set straighter. I hope leave in, serum, and setting foam isn't too much product.

Ok I am officially THAT woman. I'm out walking my dog with a head full of curlers. I'm wearing a hood, but it's all lumpy and from the front you can still see the rollers. At least it's dark out. This set better turn out well.

On the plus side, DH is encouraging me to get a better dryer because mine takes to long and I have too sit backwards to get the back of my head to dry.

Ok I am officially THAT woman. I'm out walking my dog with a head full of curlers. I'm wearing a hood, but it's all lumpy and from the front you can still see the rollers. At least it's dark out. This set better turn out well.

On the plus side, DH is encouraging me to get a better dryer because mine takes to long and I have too sit backwards to get the back of my head to dry.

I have been that women, but if its dark and you are quick anyone that notices was too close to begin with

I don't think you should be discouraged. When my hair started getting more and more texture, rollersetting went from 15 minutes to 40-50 minutes. I have gotten it down to barely 30 minutes, but that's not easy and it's only because I presection my hair before I set (which reminds me I have a video to put up). Also, a good trick is to do a final rinse with a really good slippy conditioner so that it makes combing easier. I use Kanechom Shea butter and keratin and leave it in for about 10 minutes just to get a slip factor. Then when I use CHI, I make sure that section is really soaked and wet (spray bottle please) and only apply to the section I'm working on.

It's also good to have a idea of how you want to put the rollers in, meaning, if you do quadrants, do you want to put them anywhere, or in a particular order. That makes a huge difference. Quadrants also take longer to set than Mohawks.

If you do quadrants, always start with the back then the front. If you do a Mohawk (which I recommend for bigger rollers) then you can start with the Mohawk, then the back sides, then the front.

Something else that always helps me is depending on if I set with quadrants or Mohawk, I determine how many rollers I will use beforehand and stick with that.

Practice makes it better girl.

Thanks Saludable. I did the mohawk this time. I did the mowhawk first and then 4 rows on each side working from back to front. I used more Chi than usual this time for better slip, but I put it all on in the beginning I never thought to apply it as I go. I am constantly rewetting my hair as I go. By the time I'm done my fingertips are ready to prune up. :-)

I don't think I'm good enough to decide on the # of rollers in advance (it just had to be 32 or less they'd all I have), my sets look nothing like I envision them. I guess I need lots more practice. Not including ponytail sets, this is my 3rd set ever.

The other thing is that since each set is so much effort, it makes me reluctant to experiment with things like roller type and leave ins. I would be devastated if after hours of work I couldn't wear my hair out.

I know I shouldn't time myself, but I keep notes on each set and the setting time is part of my notes. I'm way too OCD to stop timing them now. :-)

I'm out waking my dog in rollers again, this time foam rollers. I'll post result pictures later today.

3-4 days lately. This winter has been rough. In the summer 5-6 days.

Thank You. That is good to know. I will see if I can get to 3 to 4 days. That would work fine for me because I would like to at least water rinse or cowash mid-week.

I went back and forth between just slapping a bonnet on, bantu knoting and pin curling. I finally decided to pin curl. My hair was frizzing up and my ends needed some moisture. I wasn't quite sure what to moisturize with. I knew to definitely stay away from products with glycerin, so I decided on BASK Hair Milk.

I struggled through pin curling but I got them in. And I did get second day hair. I just wanted to see if I could do it. But I need to keep working on my ends before I can wear my set for more than a weekend.

I kept the curls and it got bigger.

DSCN1052 (640x598).jpg

DSCN1049 (557x640).jpg

DSCN1050 (640x640).jpg

I could use some moisturizing help. I'm natural and I don't use any products with cones. My hair still tends to need more moisture the day after a set. Products with glycerin make my hair poof and I tend to lose my curl. My hair holds a curl very well, it just tends to dry out a bit too much right now.

What would you ladies recommend I use to moisturize my hair before I pin curl it? This is what I have on hand right now.

Nubian Heritage Heat Protectant Products (foam, leave-in and a spritz)

Leave-Ins
  • Marshmallow Moisture Balm
  • Coily Head Chick Ultimate Hair Treat
  • Dax Roots Olive Cream

Moisturizers/Sealers
  • Curl Junkie Argan & Olive Oil Daily Hair conditioner
  • BASK Palm Tapioca Hair Cream
  • Bask Silk & Honey Detangling Hair Milk
  • HairVeda Red Tea Daily Nourishing Conditioner
  • Hairveda Red Tea Nourishing Satin Daily Moisturizer

Stylers & Gels
  • Taliah Waajid Curling Creme
  • Miss Jessies Pillow Soft Curls
  • Miss Jessies Jelly Soft Curls
  • Eden Bodyworks All natural Curl Defining Creme
  • Aunt Jackies Curl La La Defining Curl Custard
  • Curls Creme Brulee
  • Curls Styling Gel
  • Hairveda Whipped Gelly
  • Hairveda Whipped Creme

Oils & Pomades
  1. Natural Oasis Hair and Scalp Grease
  2. Hairveda Hydra Silica Tea Mist
  3. Natty Butter Cinnamon Honey Heaven
  4. Camille Rose Curlaid Moisture Butter
  5. Olive Conditioning Pomade
  6. Hairveda CoCasta Shikakai Hair Oil
  7. Hairveda Jardin Hair Conditioning Herbal Hair Oil
  8. Hairveda Almond Glaze Pomade
  9. Hairveda Herbal Green Pomade
  10. Jamaican Mango & Lime Black Castor Oil
  11. Dax Roots Jojoba Oil

Thanks for your help.

faithVA I would say the Hairveda Whipped Gelly although I think it does have glycerin in it. It is marketed as a styler but it's extremely moisturizing and gives a light hold. It's almost too moisturizing for me so I switched it out with my daughter for her KCCC. I think the key to using Hairveda products are applying with a light hand. Too much will give you an oily mess.

After my sets, I use Hairveda's Busy Izzy. I use 1 pump for my edges and 1 pump for my entire hair length and my hair will stay moisturized for 2 to 3 days.

Edited to add: I see you have her Whipped creme too so that may be good to try as well. I've never tried that one though.

faithVA I would say the Hairveda Whipped Gelly although I think it does have glycerin in it. It is marketed as a styler but it's extremely moisturizing and gives a light hold. It's almost too moisturizing for me so I switched it out with my daughter for her KCCC. I think the key to using Hairveda products are applying with a light hand. Too much will give you an oily mess.

After my sets, I use Hairveda's Busy Izzy. I use 1 pump for my edges and 1 pump for my entire hair length and my hair will stay moisturized for 2 to 3 days.

Edited to add: I see you have her Whipped creme too so that may be good to try as well. I've never tried that one though.

OK. Maybe I will try it on one curl. Last time I pincurled with glycerin I just had a fro. I'm thinking a humectant is not likely to work, but I will try it on a section.

You have given me an idea. Maybe I try a different product on different sections and just put them on Satin rollers. That way I can eliminate things quickly.

Thanks.

faithVA I used a butter cream (it has cones in it, so I won't recommend it to you) but I've found that using a little bit of the cream, and sealing it with a little butter, and then immediately putting my hair in Bantu knots (or pin curls) helps me moisturize and keep my style. The tiny bit of wetness helps to "re-set" the hair.

If any of those creams have a lot of butter ingredients, I would try that because it will help counteract the effects of the water.

I'm sitting outside of Sally's waiting for it to open so I can purchase a rat tail comb for parting. Excited to set tomorrow!

faithVA, why don't you test a section of your hair during rollersetting with a cone product and see if maybe your hair can handle it and test another small section and use a cone product after setting. IF YOUR NOT AGAINST THEM.

That's the only way I keep my hair moist. I tried everything and one day I had to go back to cones. My hair was much healthier by then but before that I had to cowash after 4 days due to dryness.

faithVA I used a butter cream (it has cones in it, so I won't recommend it to you) but I've found that using a little bit of the cream, and sealing it with a little butter, and then immediately putting my hair in Bantu knots (or pin curls) helps me moisturize and keep my style. The tiny bit of wetness helps to "re-set" the hair.

If any of those creams have a lot of butter ingredients, I would try that because it will help counteract the effects of the water.

Thank you. I will check the ingredients and look at the creams I have.

faithVA, why don't you test a section of your hair during rollersetting with a cone product and see if maybe your hair can handle it and test another small section and use a cone product after setting. IF YOUR NOT AGAINST THEM.

That's the only way I keep my hair moist. I tried everything and one day I had to go back to cones. My hair was much healthier by then but before that I had to cowash after 4 days due to dryness.

Thank you. I don't use cones. They tend to make my hair dryer. And I don't use shampoo so I wouldn't really have a way to wash them out. I probably will have go wash after 4 days. I don't mind that so much. My scalp could use the extra water mid week.

Back