Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Going to set my hair tomorrow night so I moisturized with a water based product tonight. My hair was so soft and moist from setting Monday night, but I get a little paranoid about these things. I ordered an Entwine Couture Hydrator that has water further down in the ingredients list with hopes that it won't make my hair revert as much, not that it matters for my buns.

Terrified that using silicones without shampooing my hair will eventually make this moisturized feeling go away so I'm going to buy a small moisturizing shampoo from cvs tomorrow since I'll be deep conditioning under the steamer.

Attachments

• image-2826450323.jpg
    image-2826450323.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 49
  • image-1583947522.jpg
    image-1583947522.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image-3633277024.jpg
    image-3633277024.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 50
Blairx0 I use the blue Lottabody.

Loving I use 1 part Lottabody to 3 parts water in a spray bottle.

It was hard for me to figure out how to use it at first, so you may have to fool around with the measurements and how you use it until you find what your hair likes the most. For me what works is this - I shampoo, then DC my hair. I let it dry for about 20 min, then I detangle with Kinky curly knot today leave-in and section my hair. Afterwards, I spritz Lottabody 4-5 times on an individual section, smooth it on, then add my Curlformer. My last Curlformer set with Lottabody lasted 4 days.

Hope this helps! xo

toaster I'm not using any products with silicone, but Lottabody does have a few suspect ingredients (Polyquaternium-11?!? What the heck is that? loll). So I shampoo weekly with Everyday Coconut Super Hydrating Shampoo.

I have a question too- I love my Lottabody. But does anyone know of an all-natural or organic setting lotion? I'm trying to minimize the chemicals in my regimen.

Loving

My question is for the ladies using silicone products so set/moisturize. How often are you shampooing, and with what? Thanks!

toaster I'm not using any products with silicone, but Lottabody does have a few suspect ingredients (Polyquaternium-11?!? What the heck is that? loll). So I shampoo weekly with Everyday Coconut Super Hydrating Shampoo. I have a question too- I love my Lottabody. But does anyone know of an all-natural or organic setting lotion? I'm trying to minimize the chemicals in my regimen.

I tried Nubian Heritage black seed and honey but it was too drying. Nothing all natural ever worked well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

[USER=407099]coilyhaircutie[/USER];19596899 said:
toaster I'm not using any products with silicone, but Lottabody does have a few suspect ingredients (Polyquaternium-11?!? What the heck is that? loll). So I shampoo weekly with Everyday Coconut Super Hydrating Shampoo.

I have a question too- I love my Lottabody. But does anyone know of an all-natural or organic setting lotion? I'm trying to minimize the chemicals in my regimen.
I tried Jane Carter, but I didn't like the feel of my hair at all. I was going to try Nubian Heritage, but maybe I shouldn't.

Nubian Heritage Honey Black Seed smells amazing - I use it instead of water to tame edges when bunning etc. It does make hair shine. But can't see it as a setting lotion - too watery.

coilyhaircutie I wonder if Carol's Daughter or Giovanni make something more natural in terms of a setting lotion - they make great leave-ins. I tried something from Aubrey once (White Tea something?) and it made my hair really dry - it was like hair spray.

I know that people have used beer before and supposedly, the smell dissipates but I have never experimented because the smell and taste of beer is kind of gross to me.

Nubian Heritage Honey Black Seed smells amazing - I use it instead of water to tame edges when bunning etc. It does make hair shine. But can't see it as a setting lotion - too watery. coilyhaircutie I wonder if Carol's Daughter or Giovanni make something more natural in terms of a setting lotion - they make great leave-ins. I tried something from Aubrey once (White Tea something?) and it made my hair really dry - it was like hair spray. I know that people have used beer before and supposedly, the smell dissipates but I have never experimented because the smell and taste of beer is kind of gross to me.

The Nubian actually does work but the glycerin was the drying factor for my.

The carols daughter was just wack for me. Something about it did not impress me. Try it out, the macadamia setting mousse. I didn't like it, but I'm not opposed to revisiting.

The Giovanni vita fix pro is actually really good. I liked it. It's just really strengthening and I still felt like I needed something on top of it. I do want to try his setting foam though. I see it at my local BSS and I never really have a bad experience with his products.

Cones just keep my hair more moisturized in the long run.

I'll be roller setting next week. This wash day I put my hair in 2 braids to allow it to rest for a week and then pinned them around my head like Naptural85 does. I don't care about parting since I never wear them out so yes I know the parts are huge and uneven. lol

Looking forward to the beautiful sets that I know are coming this weekend. Don't forget pics!!!

Last edited:
Experienceing breakage for the first time in a long time sigh.

I sweat hard in the back of my head so I have to co wash or wash twice a week.

Okay now this stuff (Dryfast Concentrated Setting Lotion by Monique Hair Care) is old school and it's good. My aunt, who had relaxed beautiful WHIP length hair well into her 60s swore by this stuff. So did my college roommate who was borderline OCD re her hair and whose sister was a hair dresser. (I remember long hold w/out crunch being the stand-out factor.) I tried it once and loved the shine, hold and feel but switched to Lottabody because of convenience. (8 oz. of Dryfast concentrate is mixed with a gallon jug of water or, if you like math, figure out how to convert to ratio appropriate for a spray bottle.) I have some in my stash that I got from BSS fairly recently so it's between this and the Laffier Cream Rinse / Setting Lotion mix this w/e.

Attachments

• dryfast.jpg
    dryfast.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 36
thanks everyone for letting me know what natural setting lotions are out there.
i think i'll try the jane carter wrap and roll or the carol's daughter macadamia heat setting foam. they both seem to have the best good reviews. i've also been eyeing shea moisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Gel Souffle. in the YT videos i've watched, the texture of it seems light and ideal for a rollerset. we'll see...i'll prob go to target sometime this weekend before i wash and set.

Just want to make sure you know I wasn't suggesting Dryset for you @coilyhaircutie-- this stuff is faaaaaaaar from natural. (In fact, the bottle has a "FLAMABLE" warning on the label! -- How's that for holdability? LOL) I was mentioning because someone (I forgot who) asked about lotions that really "hold" and this definitely came to mind.

thanks everyone for letting me know what natural setting lotions are out there.
i think i'll try the jane carter wrap and roll or the carol's daughter macadamia heat setting foam. they both seem to have the best good reviews. i've also been eyeing shea moisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Gel Souffle. in the YT videos i've watched, the texture of it seems light and ideal for a rollerset. we'll see...i'll prob go to target sometime this weekend before i wash and set.

coilyhaircutie

I received my Carols Daughter Heat Setting Foam Wrap in the mail two days ago and I'll be using it for the first time tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out.

brownb83 sorry to hear that. maybe your hair needs a little extra TLC? normally when i get breakage, an extra-long DC or steaming helps give my hair a moisture boost to curb the breakage.

Experienceing breakage for the first time in a long time sigh.

I sweat hard in the back of my head so I have to co wash or wash twice a week.

Okay now this stuff (Dryfast Concentrated Setting Lotion by Monique Hair Care) is old school and it's good. My aunt, who had relaxed beautiful WHIP length hair well into her 60s swore by this stuff. So did my college roommate who was borderline OCD re her hair and whose sister was a hair dresser. (I remember long hold w/out crunch being the stand-out factor.) I tried it once and loved the shine, hold and feel but switched to Lottabody because of convenience. (8 oz. of Dryfast concentrate is mixed with a gallon jug of water or, if you like math, figure out how to convert to ratio appropriate for a spray bottle.) I have some in my stash that I got from BSS fairly recently so it's between this and the Laffier Cream Rinse / Setting Lotion mix this w/e.

You have peaked my interest! I am off to google!

My hair didn't like the Jane carter lotion at all

Mine either! My hair got flaky and dry. I swore I would revisit, but never did. I don't have a large background with her product, but that setting lotion inspired me to do sets with no holding products

I haven't had dinner yet and I have to shampoo, deep condition, roll, and set my hair tonight. Woops.

Last nights set.

Attachments

• image-86320126.jpg
    image-86320126.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image-1794376425.jpg
    image-1794376425.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 57
  • image-1331695397.jpg
    image-1331695397.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2119902653.jpg