Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

The messy pin curls worked pretty well. My hair has a lot of volume and curls at the ends. I wanted to comb them out and style but the weather here is so bad I didn't want my ends rubbing against my wool coat. I'm excited to get better, but I'm pretty pleased with my first try!

Attachments

• image-1395869643.jpg
    image-1395869643.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 42
  • image-2834250966.jpg
    image-2834250966.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image-1842271758.jpg
    image-1842271758.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 52
  • image-1922209283.jpg
    image-1922209283.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
My hair has been in 1 big bantu knot at the top of my head since Saturday. (pic 1) Finally took it down today. (Pic 2) It was still pretty moisturized but I went ahead and added a tiny bit more moisturizer, finger combed then put it back in 1 bantu knot except in a different position. (Pic 3) I haven't been feeling well...the baby is pressing against a nerve causing me to have back and hip pain most days. I just can't be bothered.

Last edited:
My hair has been in 1 big bantu knot at the top of my head since Saturday. (pic 1) Finally took it down today. (Pic 2) It was still pretty moisturized but I went ahead and added a tiny bit more moisturizer, finger combed then put it back in 1 bantu knot except in a different position. (Pic 3) I haven't been feeling well...the baby is pressing against a nerve causing me to have back and hip pain most days. I just can't be bothered.

Feel better!! That hair looks juicy.

Hair looks great - hope you feel better. Finger combing is the best if can get away with it. (My hair is too many diff lengths .. still!)

I love roller setting but can't find the right products to use. Lottabody makes my hair crunchy which leads to breakage. I just rollerset with no product these days which of course results in my curls lasting no more than a minute!

Any help would be appreciated.

Loving I'm not a pro at this by any means but I've found that diluting the Lottabody helps, as well as using a moisturizing leave-in underneath. That prevents my hair from being crunchy and breaking. Also making sure to rolleset on moisturized hair from a DC on a conditioning cowash.

My question is for the ladies using silicone products so set/moisturize. How often are you shampooing, and with what? Thanks!

Feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I love roller setting but can't find the right products to use. Lottabody makes my hair crunchy which leads to breakage. I just rollerset with no product these days which of course results in my curls lasting no more than a minute! Any help would be appreciated.

Chi is good. I just used aphogee green tea and keratin which works well. Crece Pelo was my fave. These are the only products I have tried with success.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

My question is for the ladies using silicone products so set/moisturize. How often are you shampooing, and with what? Thanks!

toaster I use shampoo before and after I straighten or I'll clarify if my normal products start giving me different results then what they normally produce. So I don't have an actual number. 95% of the time, I just use a cleansing conditioner.

I think it really depends on the cone you use and the number of products you use with cones. The only product I use on a consistent basis (twice a month when I roller set) with a cone is the it's a 10 leave in. It has Cyclomethicone. From an article I read regarding it and build up:

Cyclomethicones are favored by formulators because they spread easily on the hair and skin, and the lubrication they provide isn’t greasy or tacky. Because of their low vapor pressure, they evaporate easily from hair or skin at room temperature, and therefore aren’t prone to build-up or an oily residue. For this reason, they are sometimes used as an additive in products such as spray leave-in conditioners to help speed drying time. Another benefit of their low vapor pressure is that it provides a way for the desired ingredients to penetrate into the hair shaft or skin. The cyclic silicone is too large to penetrate the skin or hair itself, but is small enough to dissolve the beneficial ingredient, deposit it onto the hair surface, and then evaporate, leaving behind the beneficial ingredient.

My apologies toaster You asked about the shampoo products and I skipped all around that.

Before straightening: MoroccanOil Hydrating Shampoo

First wash after straightening: Elucence Moisture Benefits shampoo

To clarify: ORS creamy aloe shampoo

Thank you lulu97!

I figure since I'm using silicones in my conditioners and leave ins I might have to shampoo more often than I do now, which is hardly ever. I'll try every two weeks and see what happens!

I shampoo weekly with Giovanni 50/50 it is gentle, but does a good job ridding my hair of cones and allows it to accept moisture.

what color lotta body are you ladies using? After all the reviews I need to try it out, but i want to make sure I get the right one.

Blue or Green?

The one I have and have always loved is actually purple - ??? Are you sure you're not thinking of UltraSheen (which is blue)?
what color lotta body are you ladies using? After all the reviews I need to try it out, but i want to make sure I get the right one.

Blue or Green?

Loving Try lightly oiling and/or following up with a bit of creamy leave-in before setting w/ Lottabody. (Setting lotion doesn't provide nutrition -- it's intended purpose is just to hold your hair and make it shine. You have to do something for health of hair before applying and after you rinse out your conditioner.) Also, remember, you need two spray bottles -- one w/ plain water to keep re-wetting your hair so it stays dripping wet as you set and another with your Lottabody mix. If you keep re-wetting w/ Lottabody, you will have way too much product in your hair and hence major crunch.
I love roller setting but can't find the right products to use. Lottabody makes my hair crunchy which leads to breakage. I just rollerset with no product these days which of course results in my curls lasting no more than a minute!

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Another "setting lotion" in my stash - "Lafier Rinso." It is actually the pink cream rinse that the Dominican salons use that has a distinct, flowery old lady hair smell (which I confess, I happen to like -- makes the house smell nice after you've been under the dryer). When I would go to the salons in DC and NY, they would use it as a conditioner but always leave a bit (actually, a whole lot) of it in hair prior to setting. One of the stylist I used actually mixed it with water in spray bottle and used it exactly like a setting lotion / leave-in. When I was finally able to get the mix right, I liked it even better than Lottabody. (When I was fully relaxed, it made NG straighter and rest of hair extremely bouncy.) Might try to experiment w/ that this weekend too -- will report.

BTW, a long time ago, someone posted something about a very large percentage of WLs and TBLs members (like 7 out of 10) having a regime that consisted primarily of rollersets after leaving some of their conditioner in their hair.

In the meantime, what ever happened to all those suggestions re new leave-ins I should try? (I'm depending on you ladies to keep me up to date on new products since I never go to salon anymore - not even for touch-ups, trims, nothing.)

Last edited:
rawsilk Wish I could be more help, but the only leave in I've ever used for roller setting is It's a 10 leave in. I don't have any others I can recommend because I would never recommend anything that I haven't used & tested on my own hair. I'm a firm believer of finding something and sticking to it if it works, so I've never even tried to replace it. (never will as long as they continue to make it)

Hold wise: I don't have any recommendations either. I only use a leave in because I prefer light & fluffy rollersets with no hold. I basically just use the rollers to stretch my hair. When I used to get roller sets done at the salon, my stylist would use a foam setting lotion by Design Essentials but I'm not sure of the name or if it's been discontinued. She used to roller wrap my hair after it dried so I couldn't even tell you the level of hold it had. Sorry Lady!

Well I took the curlformers out this morning and the results weren't too bad. I used the green olive oil lottabody. I think i need to use a little more lottabody next time I use it. I used one part lottabody to two parts water. My hair isn't super straight like when I use gel. My hair is reverting in the back a little but it isn't too bad. I can deal with it.

Theorototype sooo pretty... Big loose sexy curly

rawsilk I always thought conditioner and a little bit of oil was wayyy better to rollerset with then setting lotions that leave hair hard... I tried setting lotions years ago and hated every1

Last edited:
lulu97 All this time, I thought that "It's a 10" was some sort of reference to Ms. Keyes 10 in 1 (hitting head like "duh"). Have you ever tried the one with Keratin? If so, how do you think that compares with the regular one? If anyone else has thought re one versus the other, please chime in. (Finger on mouse, about to click "add to cart" :yep:)
@rawsilk Wish I could be more help, but the only leave in I've ever used for roller setting is It's a 10 leave in. I don't have any others I can recommend because I would never recommend anything that I haven't used & tested on my own hair. I'm a firm believer of finding something and sticking to it if it works, so I've never even tried to replace it. (never will as long as they continue to make it)

Hold wise: I don't have any recommendations either. I only use a leave in because I prefer light & fluffy rollersets with no hold. I basically just use the rollers to stretch my hair. When I used to get roller sets done at the salon, my stylist would use a foam setting lotion by Design Essentials but I'm not sure of the name or if it's been discontinued. She used to roller wrap my hair after it dried so I couldn't even tell you the level of hold it had. Sorry Lady!

I kind of miss my grey roller days.:ohwell: (Now that I have texture, I can't use magnetic rollers anymore and get enough stretch -- need something with teeth and more ventilation.) Enjoy all that bouncy-behaving hair.
Rollerset tonight with grey magnetic rollers.
Products used: Aphogee ProVitamin Leave-in, Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, and Tresemme Keratin Smooth Heat Protectant.

lulu97 All this time, I thought that "It's a 10" was some sort of reference to Ms. Keyes 10 in 1 (hitting head like "duh"). Have you ever tried the one with Keratin? If so, how do you think that compares with the regular one? If anyone else has thought re one versus the other, please chime in. (Finger on mouse, about to click "add to cart" :yep:)

rawsilk I've used the one with and without keratin. They perform the same on my hair. The one with keratin is more expensive so I usually just get the one without.

toaster Totally missed your comment and then went and said almost the exact same thing. Apologies.
@Loving I'm not a pro at this by any means but I've found that diluting the Lottabody helps, as well as using a moisturizing leave-in underneath. That prevents my hair from being crunchy and breaking. Also making sure to rolleset on moisturized hair from a DC on a conditioning cowash.

Back