Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

lulu97 the scrunchies on the bantu knots are a great idea! I will try that next time

IMO they keep the knots secure alot better then bobby pins and are more comfortable to sleep in. I used to use the satin scrunchies but I find that they lose the elasticity a lot faster then just the regular cotton ones.

Had to come on quickly and sing the praises of It's a 10 products so far. DC'd with steam with their mask and used the leave in for my set along with diluted lottabody. That was the fastest set ever and I lost the least amount of hair (minus one user error, I really have to get my sectioning down) that I have in the past 3 or 4 sets.

I obviously have to see how my hair reacts to the product once I get from under the dryer and over the next few days, but I think they're worth the price!

I am rolled up and under the dryer. It is getting late, but I want to let ne rollers cool before take down. I am trying to experiment with some methods to get my set to last

Blairx0

We're late night dryer buddies! I really should have started my hair earlier, but I wanted to take a nap. :look:

Haha. We are best friends it seems because I took the best nap when I should have been deep conditioning. Oh well at least this heat is keeping me relaxed!

Blairx0

So we have naps and Chicago in common. Haha. I was born and raised there but left for college and law school. My parents and family are still there, so it's always been "home" for me.

lulu97 you liked the Mohawk pattern better than quadrants? I couldn't really tell the difference but I'm not very good at setting yet.

Your results are gorgeous as always.

GettingKinky I'm going to try it a few more times before I determine if I like it better than just my normal way. One thing I did like was that I had more control over the back sections which I'm not so good at using my old way. It was a little more uniform if that makes sense.

Blairx0

So we have naps and Chicago in common. Haha. I was born and raised there but left for college and law school. My parents and family are still there, so it's always been "home" for me.

I'm the opposite jersey is home and Chicago was for undergrad and grad. I have dreams of packing up my dryer and moving back east

Eta: I'm done drying! Hope you can say the same

Last edited:
I thought I was done but the back of my hair wasn't dry! I lowered the Pibbs and stuffed myself in here for 20 more minutes. If it's still not dry I'll just have to live with it.

My set came out pretty good even though the back didn't dry completely. I like pineappling the first night but it really stretches out the back of my head so I get a mullet look. I ended up smoothing my hair into a bun where it will stay until tomorrow night at the earliest.

Hair felt very soft and moisturized from the DC and leave in, so I'll be using them again.

I'm due to set again on Monday evening. My Carol's Daughter blow dry creme and setting foam should be here tomorrow, so I'll use the It's a 10 leave in in conjunction with those products.

Attachments

• imageedit_3_5630353868.jpg
    imageedit_3_5630353868.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I hope I am in this challenge, I was in the 2013 one and kind of fell off at the end of the year after I had my son but I plan to only rollerset my hair in 2014. I just did my first set of the year a few days ago and it came out great, I realized I need to rollerset my hair because when I blow dry and flat iron it never comes out the way I want!

image-419352662.jpg

image-2095587444.jpg

image-3124394221.jpg

image-2475611247.jpg

17 months into my transition to natural

Last edited:
Why am I looking at traditional roller setting videos on YouTube? Why will I be going to Sally's tomorrow morning to buy rollers? Whyyy? I'm addicted.

ETA: I can see I'm going to have to detangle my hair with a comb to do a traditional set. I guess that's okay. Are you guys also using a paddle brush to style your hair afterwards? Or just a comb?

Last edited:
Lol you're not the only one toaster. I have 3 different types of curlformers, and yet I still want to buy flexirods. I saw a MahoganyCurls tutorial and now I've been bitten by the flexirod bug loll

ETA whoopsie, wasn't mahoganycurls but sista with real hair I meant to write. Sorry :)

Last edited:
Hey ladies! I've finally found out the best setting lotion for my curlformer sets!
It's lottabody, diluted 1:3 with water. The last time I used lottabody, I only sprayed it once or twice on each section. This time, I sprayed each section at least 4-5 times and smoothed it on carefully. And my curls have held up very well. At night, I flip my head over (so my curls are hanging down) and put my hair in a satin bonnet. Like a pineapple without the elastic band to hold the hair in place. Here are pictures:

Day 1
Photo on 2014-01-22 at 10.34.jpg
Photo on 2014-01-22 at 10.33 #2.jpg

Day 2
Photo on 2014-01-23 at 10.02 #2.jpg
Photo on 2014-01-23 at 10.01.jpg

Day 3
waterfall braid.jpg
(flash photo)

My curls held up on day 3 (today) too, but I was bored of wearing it down. So I did a waterfall braid and twisted it into a bun with the spin pin. I got the idea for the waterfall braid from my (now favorite) hair book Braids, Buns and Twists. You ladies should check it out if you're in protective styling rut! It's been fun for me to try different styles in it. The only downside is a lot of the styles are for longer hair and/or only showcased on straight hair, but I adapt them for my length and texture.

Tomorrow I may brush out my curls. I want to find a way to make my hair look wavy, like the pic in my siggy. Maybe if I brush out my curls and use hairspray to set it? We'll see.

Hello RollerGals -- I was about to post a new thread but then realized that you all would probably be the best resource: is there something that I can buy to convert my salon-style hooded dryer (yes, with the pleather upholstered chair and all) into a steamer when I want to (not permanently)? I thought about buying the table-top steamer one that you can convert to a facial steamer but then wondered if there is something especially made for hooded dryers that serves this purpose.

P.S. -- Can I just tell you all how much I look forward to my weekly roller sets, reading a magazine, sipping a cup of herbal tea, putting my feet up and just zoning the ("blank") out for 45 mins. under the quiet hum of the dryer? My professional dryer/chair was the best hair investment I have ever made!

Hello RollerGals -- I was about to post a new thread but then realized that you all would probably be the best resource: is there something that I can buy to convert my salon-style hooded dryer (yes, with the pleather upholstered chair and all) into a steamer when I want to (not permanently)? I thought about buying the table-top steamer one that you can convert to a facial steamer but then wondered if there is something especially made for hooded dryers that serves this purpose.

P.S. -- Can I just tell you all how much I look forward to my weekly roller sets, reading a magazine, sipping a cup of herbal tea, putting my feet up and just zoning the ("blank") out for 45 mins. under the quiet hum of the dryer? My professional dryer/chair was the best hair investment I have ever made!

I'm not sure. Maybe you can Google it or look up throigh the manufacturer and see if it's possible. What type of dryer is that with the chair? I'm looking to invest in a good hooded dryer.

I havebt heard of an attachment mostly people using plastic bags /caps to steam under a dryer.

I heard covering your hair with plastic followed by spraying water on top of that platic and adding one more plastic layer creates a steam effect under the dryer.

Hey ladies! I've finally found out the best setting lotion for my curlformer sets!
It's lottabody, diluted 1:3 with water. The last time I used lottabody, I only sprayed it once or twice on each section. This time, I sprayed each section at least 4-5 times and smoothed it on carefully. And my curls have held up very well. At night, I flip my head over (so my curls are hanging down) and put my hair in a satin bonnet. Like a pineapple without the elastic band to hold the hair in place. Here are pictures:

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

(flash photo)

My curls held up on day 3 (today) too, but I was bored of wearing it down. So I did a waterfall braid and twisted it into a bun with the spin pin. I got the idea for the waterfall braid from my (now favorite) hair book Braids, Buns and Twists. You ladies should check it out if you're in protective styling rut! It's been fun for me to try different styles in it. The only downside is a lot of the styles are for longer hair and/or only showcased on straight hair, but I adapt them for my length and texture.

Tomorrow I may brush out my curls. I want to find a way to make my hair look wavy, like the pic in my siggy. Maybe if I brush out my curls and use hairspray to set it? We'll see.

Your day three hair is lovely you got to post a tutorial for that look

Just Google it for someplace local to you -- the dryers/chairs aren't that expensive (around $250 for both) -- it's the $hipping that hurts the pocket. Also, sometimes salons that are going out of business will advertise in local papers, etc.
I'm not sure. Maybe you can Google it or look up throigh the manufacturer and see if it's possible. What type of dryer is that with the chair? I'm looking to invest in a good hooded dryer.

I just wonder if there is a difference -- i.e., do you get a better effect using a steamer than using the double bag or hot towel/bag under the dryer method?
I havebt heard of an attachment mostly people using plastic bags /caps to steam under a dryer.

I heard covering your hair with plastic followed by spraying water on top of that platic and adding one more plastic layer creates a steam effect under the dryer.

Your day three hair is lovely you got to post a tutorial for that look
aw thank you so much Blairx0. I'm not the best at putting together tutorials, but here's a great YT clip on how to do a waterfall braid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MFRhrPruwI

She curls her hair first in this video, but you can skip to 1:24 for the braid tut. Basically what I did was a large diagonal waterfall braid across my whole head, then I scooped the layers of hair that were falling out at the bottom and folded them into a bun. It's hard to see it with the flash, but it's really lovely effect. It makes it look like I worked harder on my hair than I actually did lol :D

Sitting under my Pibbs doing a roller set right now. I am not too good at these yet but practice makes perfect, right?

OMG I am having SO much fun doing my hair now with my curlformer sets! So happy I stuck with it and found the right setting lotion. :D

Today is day 4 of my curlformer set. I did an updo. I left some curls out in the front as bangs. Then I did a fishtail braid and crossed that over the front of my head like a headband and pinned the end under some curls. The back, I rolled into a pillow bun. I only used my 2 spin pins for the roll! Here are some pics:

DSCF2312.jpg

DSCF2313.jpg

DSCF2317.jpg

DSCF2310.jpg

DSCF2311.jpg

Yeah I didn't brush my edges...hahaha it's whatever, it's snowing today, so it's not like I'm going out.

Back