Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Current hair length: chin length
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: relaxed
Current Setting method and styling choices: mesh rollers
Current Setting products: Elasta QP thermal styling spary and water, sometimes aphogee green tea spray
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: healthiness, length retention - SL
How long do you plan to set?: 3-5 days a week

My hair does better with roller setting, I haven't done it in a while and am trying to get back in the habit.

Last edited:
hiya! just did a curlformer set tonight, will try to post pictures later. I found a way to cut my setting time in half! after washing and DCing my hair, I towelled and detanged with kinky curly leave-in and twisted my hair in 20 twists. then, I let my hair dry about 80%- I think this was the most important step. after that, I put in mycurlformers with diluted lottabody. took just 1 hour! normally it takes me 2-3.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 27
I'm going to re-set my hair on Saturday. I might try combing out the curls to see what it looks like, but I'll probably chicken out and just separate them instead.

I'm so mad at amazon. I still haven't received my magnetic rollers and the seller had the nerve to ask me to post a review. I'll give it a few more days before I request a refund

Clarified then finally did my Aphogee 2 step protein treatment that I've been putting off forever. I wont be setting this weekend...allowing my hair to rest for a full week by throwing it in 2 goddess braids. I always think they look like these pictures but they never really do! lol I'll set next weekend.

Last edited:
I'm so mad at amazon. I still haven't received my magnetic rollers and the seller had the nerve to ask me to post a review. I'll give it a few more days before I request a refund

I refuse to provide reviews on Amazon or Ebay prior to receiving the product. I found out one of the main reasons they (sometimes) push for you to provide a review ahead of time is because Paypal (for sure) withholds payment until after a review is posted and/or after validation of delivery.

I'm trying bigger rollers now. And instead of wearing the spirals I'm combing the curls out so they are wavy.

Now gotta figure out how to maintain/ tie it up at night. I have to go back to applying moisturizer on each individual roller section.

I miss my sets! It is snowing yet again, so I know setting today isn't going to happen. This dry air and snow has been putting a hurting on my hair and scalp!

I oiled my scalp today and put my hair in four big twist with some pillow rollers. I am think this week will be a rollerset free and focus on heavy sealing.

I have Monday off, so maybe i will change my mind and set then

Last edited:
My sets always look the same so these will be my last pictures for a while. Cowashed and set my hair. Sat under the Pibbs for an hour. Up in a pineapple.

I used more Curls Control Paste than I did last time and it really worked! My hair is smooth and shiny. We'll see how long this lasts.

Attachments

• image-4278500780.jpg
    image-4278500780.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 64
  • image-3272527334.jpg
    image-3272527334.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2274961631.jpg
    image-2274961631.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 58
  • image-4237998437.jpg
    image-4237998437.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image-4168310082.jpg
    image-4168310082.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 53
  • image-311920509.jpg
    image-311920509.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 59
GettingKinky I'll try to wear it out tomorrow and then it will probably go in a bun. My workouts make it hard for me to keep my hair this straight, and I'm a pretty hardcore protective styler anyway.

I like setting my hair over wet bunning because it makes my detangling sessions easier, and I don't use as much product so I don't have to spend so much money on my hair. You know, besides investing in the curlformers, the Pibbs, the new Carol's Daughter setting products I just ordered, and everything else I'm sure I'll "need" to keep doing my hair.

The only thing I'm worried about is the Pibbs. My hair is about BSL right now and the ends of my hair hang outside of the dome of the dryer. Right now it's not too much of a problem, but I do plan on growing into the curlformer. I'm hoping I don't have to learn how to use magnetic rollers so that I fit under the dryer fully and my hair still dries in an hour.

If I weren't in this challenge I probably wouldn't have set my hair this month, so I'm really glad I joined. I used the quadrant method this time. I used 31 rollers but it only took me 41 minutes to put them in. (I'm not counting my detangle time with the wide and medium tooth comb because I always have to do that.) I'm not sure my rollers are in tight enough so my roots may be really puffy. I am a little concerned by the amount of hair I lost in the fine tooth comb, I may have to slow down next time and be more gentle. I'll be back after I take my rollers out.

Last edited:
I definitely need a new dryer. After 1 hour the top and sides of my hair are dry but the back is still very wet. Even DH commented that the back of my head doesn't really get under the dryer and that my dryer looks cheap. I may buy a pibbs sooner than I originally planned.

If I weren't in this challenge I probably wouldn't have set my hair this month, so I'm really glad I joined. I used the quadrant method this time. I used 31 rollers but it only took me 41 minutes to put them in. (I'm not counting my detangle time with the wide and medium tooth comb because I always have to do that.) I'm not sure my rollers are in tight enough so my roots may be really puffy. I am a little concerned by the amount of hair I lost in the fine tooth comb, I may have to slow down next time and be more gentle. I'll be back after I take my rollers out.

I don't use a fine tooth comb I use small end of the medium comb i have. I also put a few drops of detangler in my water bottle to help with slip.

I use two combs: a medium tooth then fine tooth comb when rollersetting. That way, not much comes out. When I was just using fine tooth combs, I would look in the sink and cry.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I separated my hair today. I'm not going anywhere so I decided to experiment. I don't think I like it, but I'm not really used to wearing my hair down so I'm confused. I think it would be better if it was longer and I used a product with some hold.

I finger detangle and don't use a comb to set my hair at all.

Attachments

• image-1428335917.jpg
    image-1428335917.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 67
  • image-3449208650.jpg
    image-3449208650.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 67
  • image-3780959369.jpg
    image-3780959369.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 63
  • image-2605766217.jpg
    image-2605766217.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 63
I separated my hair today. I'm not going anywhere so I decided to experiment. I don't think I like it, but I'm not really used to wearing my hair down so I'm confused. I think it would be better if it was longer and I used a product with some hold.

looks great to me

Thank you Lilmama1011

I'm really trying to embrace the "naptural85" love your hair as it is mantra. I grew my hair to hip length and cut it all off in 2012 because it wasn't doing what I "wanted" it to do. Now that I'm growing it back I'm going to let it do what it wants to do, and love it.

I like it. My curlformers sets look like that when I seperate too and I style into a half up half down look and it fits my face better. I'm sure you can make it work for you.

I use two combs: a medium tooth then fine tooth comb when rollersetting. That way, not much comes out. When I was just using fine tooth combs, I would look in the sink and cry.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I used a wide tooth comb and a medium tooth comb first, but I still don't like how much hair I lost with the fine tooth comb.

I may break down and buy the Pibbs dryer but I'm not sure where I will store it. Where do you ladies keep yours?

I used a wide tooth comb and a medium tooth comb first, but I still don't like how much hair I lost with the fine tooth comb.

I may break down and buy the Pibbs dryer but I'm not sure where I will store it. Where do you ladies keep yours?

I have the lcl dryer and I don't store it. It is up all the time. I just unplug it when not in use

Here are my results. The front half came out well, but I need more practice on the back half.

The first 2 pictures are before I finger combed. The last 2 are after finger combing. I still need to work on styling some more.

Attachments

• image-1718110682.jpg
    image-1718110682.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image-996107674.jpg
    image-996107674.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 68
  • image-439500180.jpg
    image-439500180.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 61
  • image-361712453.jpg
    image-361712453.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 60
Here are my results. The front half came out well, but I need more practice on the back half.

The first 2 pictures are before I finger combed. The last 2 are after finger combing. I still need to work on styling some more.

You know that's lovely, right?

Back