Serious Relationship Troubles...Really Need Support...

Thanks for reminding me that there are different ways to look at the situation:yep:

The one thing that he did say to me in our last conversation which I found somewhat encouraging was that he felt that the space would be a good thing for me too, and the fact that he gave a definite period of time for this "space." I've talked to other people with similar situations, and they've noted that there are many instances where people say they need space, but they have no idea for how long. Not the best sign.

I noticed that he gave a specific time, a short one at that, in your OP and I found that extremely encouraging. Seems like he just wanted a breather from the arguments, and emotions to collect himself and have you do the same. If you are worried about if the relationship will end when the "break" is up, I suggest you write a letter (much like what is in your OP) and give it to him before he speaks to you.

This will get you both on the same page before there is any confusion with back and forth banter and you can re-evaluate your relationship with the same foundation in mind. He will appreciate that you have taken the time to put thought into your role in this and through the letter will be able to see how he contributed to the fall-out without you coming across as accusatory.

((((((((hugs))))))))) and I hope it works out for you.

As many of you know, I met a guy a few months ago, and at the beginning, everything was fantastic, it was almost like being in a dream. I couldn't believe that I had finally found someone that I was excited about.

But in the past few weeks, really the last month and a half or so, we've been having lots of arguments and things are very emotional. While he has not said that he wants to break up, he's said that he's very confused and wanted to have a week completely to himself to think about things. My worst fear is that next week, he will be telling me that he doesn't think our relationship is a good idea for him (or me) at this time, and it's best that we break up. It would really feel like a dagger through my heart if this happened, because I care for this man so much, and, despite the problems, can see a future with him.

So, what happened?

Things happened too fast and a can of worms (or rather, CANS of worms) were opened up that he and I are struggling to deal with. But mostly me.

I have a long history of physical, sexual and emotional abuse. I also have a long history of emotional deprivation on the part of people who were supposed to be there for me (i.e. no one being there to listen to me when I was hurt or in need). So, as you can imagine, it's very hard for me to get attached to people, to become emotionally intimate with them. And once I do allow myself to open up to a person like that, I become attached to them very quickly because such connections happen so rarely for me. And then, another problem develops - my anxiety over being abandoned or my fear that he will be "just like" all the other people who have hurt me starts to creep in. My fear of abandonment is extremely palpable - I was adopted, and moreover, my adoptive dad, early on in my life, was virtually non-existent (for reasons I won't get into here; however you all will be happy to know that my relationship with him now is MUCH better).

It was never my intent to discuss these things with him early on in the relationship. My hope was that after we had been together for a couple of months, and after I had had sufficient time to talk with my therapist about how these things affect me in relationships, I would slowly, in my own time, open up about these things.

But it didn't happen that way. A casual conversation about something led him to ask a very intimate question that caught me off guard. I didn't want to answer it, but I knew not answering it would be just as incriminating. So, I answered truthfully (sorry, I don't want to say what, exactly, the question was about). Of course, him being him, it instantly made him curious about more about me...so he kept asking me questions. Not necessarily in one night, but over the course of about a week or two. At first, I reacted VERY badly to the questions. I would get very upset and try to shut him out. I'd yell at him. I didn't want to GO there, and i KNEW I wasn't ready to go there. But, he told me that knowing that there were things about me that he didn't know about me made him feel distant from me. I told him, there might be answers to these questions that you will not like and will not be prepared to deal with. He said he was ready to deal with whatever may come. That he was not going to run away.

That may not be so true at this point.

At first, it was a relief to get all those things off my chest. But then, I started feeling anxious. I didn't really recognize it at first, but if I think back, I can really see where it started. Just this strange, small gut feeling that something wasn't "quite right." But I ignored it, and kept moving along. But the anxious feeling grew. The next thing I knew, I was less easygoing. I was getting upset at stuff and reacting to it in a way that was very inappropriate (i.e. I may have rightfully been upset or hurt, but the reaction was overblown). I didn't understand what was happening or why, which, of course, made me more anxious. Which, as you guys guessed it, led to me being even MORE sensitive. At that point, I KNEW something was wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on it, which of course led to MORE anxiousness, and MORE fights. I was caught in a horrible negative feedback loop :wallbash:

We had two huge arguments last week, as well as one earlier this week. However, I'm actually grateful for those arguments now because, rather than running away from the pain in the aftermath, I really thought about the arguments. And now, I have so much clarity. I GET why I am getting upset like this. I KNOW what I need to do, and I have begun the journey to healing myself so I can be freed from the terrible grip that my emotions have on me.

But, a big part of me fears it might be too late. I'm frustrated because I know that things have been rough on him, that he's unhappy, not just because of the arguments, but because he hurts for me, that it's hard for him to understand me at times, that he feels helpless and questions if he can be the kind of person that someone like me needs. And I know that it can be very hard to stick by someone who is going through a tough process of change like this, especially when a relationship is in its infancy. And I know that in a city like New York, where there are so many (supposed) "options" out there, it can be tempting to think that you can leave someone behind and find something better, easier.

But I am FIGHTING to work on this! And no, I am not doing it just for him - I am doing it for ME. I look at this whole thing as an opportunity for me to FINALLY get a handle on these things that have cast a palor over my life for so many years. That I can DO this and that on the other side of this, is just, this amazing freedom and peace. I want that for myself so badly because I know that once I start getting there, my life, my relationships...everything will start to become so much more fulfilling.

I care about him so much, and I want to be with him. I just don't want him to give up on me, or us. I know that it may be that God's plan for me doesn't include him long term. But, in my heart, I feel like the real possibility is there, that this person was meant to be with me for a long time. I felt it when we first met. And he even said he felt it a bit when he first met me.

Any support that you can offer - any words, insights - even if it's the kind of thing that may be hard to say or hear - please offer them. Thank you.

NYLegal,

Please don't take this the wrong way but have you thought about getting therapy? The issues you speak of go beyond this current relationship. I think it might be best that you take a chill on being involved with anyone until you get help for your issues. It's really not about him, but you and the quality of your emotional and mental health. Let me repeat by no means am I trying to be mean or snarky but I would really encourage you to go seek help.

NYLegal,

Please don't take this the wrong way but have you thought about getting therapy? The issues you speak of go beyond this current relationship. I think it might be best that you take a chill on being involved with anyone until you get help for your issues. It's really not about him, but you and the quality of your emotional and mental health. Let me repeat by no means am I trying to be mean or snarky but I would really encourage you to go seek help.

You're not being snarky at all.

Also, in a later post, I let everyone know that I am, in fact, in therapy and have been for a while.

Tiara made a great point in one of her posts about how self-introspection can only do so much. As a single woman who was fine on her own, the triggers that would show me that these issues were still there just didn't exist for me. I know how to be happy and on my own, once I've recovered from a break up. I know that because some of the happiest times in my life were when I was single.

The fears only come up once I am in a relationship.

I know that a lot of people think that if a person has issues, so to speak, then they should go be alone to deal with them. I don't agree, and a lot of psychologists don't agree either (mine doesn't). I have certain issues that need to be dealt with solo, and I also have issues that can only be dealt with within a relationship - for instance, learning how to not overreact when someone says something that either really hurts my feelings because it hit a sensitive nerve or if I think they are not trying to understand me.

It was actually my psychologist who pointed out to me once upon a time that my decision to abstain from dating for a long period of time had gone from being a great exercise in establishing personal independence, to a feat of avoidance of attachment, period. It had become another manifestation of the problem, just on the other end.

Basically, I have to learn how to become emotionally attached, while remaining sufficiently emotionally independent. That's not something you can learn to do completely within the context of being alone. You'll only get so far until you finally get out there and test the waters.

I do thank you for your concern though.

Last edited:
You're not being snarky at all.

Also, in a later post, I let everyone know that I am, in fact, in therapy and have been for a while.

Tiara made a great point in one of her posts about how self-introspection can only do so much. As a single woman who was fine on her own, the triggers that would show me that these issues were still there just didn't exist for me. I know how to be happy and on my own, once I've recovered from a break up. I know that because some of the happiest times in my life were when I was single.

The fears only come up once I am in a relationship.

I know that a lot of people think that if a person has issues, so to speak, then they should go be alone to deal with them. I don't agree, and a lot of psychologists don't agree either (mine doesn't). I have certain issues that need to be dealt with solo, and I also have issues that can only be dealt with within a relationship - for instance, learning how to not overreact when someone says something that either really hurts my feelings because it hit a sensitive nerve or if I think they are not trying to understand me.

It was actually my psychologist who pointed out to me once upon a time that my decision to abstain from dating for a long period of time had gone from being a great exercise in establishing personal independence, to a feat of avoidance of attachment, period. It had become another manifestation of the problem, just on the other end.

Basically, I have to learn how to become emotionally attached, while remaining sufficiently emotionally independent. That's not something you can learn to do completely within the context of being alone. You'll only get so far until you finally get out there and test the waters.

I do thank you for your concern though.

the bolded is a common occurence....taking time to heal and be alone to get to know yourself is a great thing....ideally if we are on one extreme we want to move towards some internal balance, however its very common people go from extreme to extreme......flip right to the other side of the same coin in the just now under a new guise of ...learning to be alone and do some self analyzing when its done in a healthy way just helps those who are so afraid to be alone be okay with being alone vs being lonely in life....to be okay alone will never mean that you don't want to ever be in a relationship and if one buys into the notion that they must be alone to work on themselves and get it all together BEFORE they can be in a relationship they may be alone the rest of this lifetime...but if one is afraid of being alone and is lonely, hates their own company, lacks severely in the self love dept... taking time to be alone is the best way to get past this issue....taking time to be alone is simply to learn to love yourself and enjoy your own company as is where you are in the present moment (with all your issues, all your "flaws", embrace and forgive yourself for all the things you beat urself up for, heal and let go of things no longer serving you, etc) not to become some perfect person...once you can get to this point issues will start resolving themselves and alot of issues as you get over them will be a much faster process with other people involved, esp people who love you.....

the only point anybody ideally would want to get to when they are alone and choose to work on themselves is to realize a state of unconditional love for themselves, to accept themselves, forgive themselves, forgive others, heal hurts, understand themselves, acknowledge issues, remove veils and release delusions, become self aware of who they are etc....this process of getting to full love of the self doesn't have to be a life long process of doing it by yourself and it doesn't equate to being "perfect" and issueless....getting to the point of loving yourself even (especially) in a bad state is a big step towards moving forward in life

Last edited:
If you really put hard and painful work into your personal issues - and I mean REAL, PAINFUL, honest work, if you too are meant to be he will be patient and support you and wait.

It is also possible that this may be a journey you may have to take alone, and meet the man to marry when you are at the emotional level to handle the relationship.

Again this is LIki51's husband and not Liki51. Many times women may default to the availability of single men and believe each and every man is replaceable. Wrong. This guy may not be the best guy for you, but he has played his way into your life and into your heart. Many professional and single women believe that they don’t need a man because they pay their own bills. Wrong. We all need each other. In fact, we are not complete until we share our lives with someone. This may sound harsh and mean spirited but it is truth…These people who are telling you to step, are people who grow old and lonely in run down apartments, working till their last days on earth. Don’t listen to strangers who if you could see their lives would realize that they are not relationship experts. Take it from someone of the opposite sex who is well equipped to see how your situation can be turned around.

Also in these times two paychecks are better than one. You have to walk hand in hand in a relationship and observe your commitment to each other. It is a relationship not a runlationship. What will set you apart from others is your ability to deal with problems you are involved in; your ability to apologize and bend to forward your relationship. If you run from this then what will you learn or take out of it. You have to be an adult about the situation and that involves talking and coming to some understanding. You know the guy you are with better then anyone. Approach with intent to solve, not with doubt. He will understand if you had a rough past.

I'm sure the OP appreciates hearing a man's perspective and for the most part I enjoyed reading your post, but I think you're misreading and misrepresenting what the ladies are saying here. I don't think I read one response that said she should just walk. Most people just said you should respect his request for space.

You are also making some judgements about the women who are posting here that I think are unfair. Just because you may not agree with some of the thoughts folks are sharing there is no need to make assumptions about who they are and the type of life they lead.

It's interesting that you mention this. I told my best friend about this, and after hearing about this she became EXTREMELY pissed at him. The way she sees it, she believes that the relationship wouldn't have followed the trajectory that it followed had he left me alone to tell him about my past and my issues in my own time. In fact, she thinks that his behavior was kind of manipulative - he told me that me not telling him about my past makes him uncomfortable, and that it's hard for him to feel like he's close to someone if he doesn't feel like they're being completely open with him. The reason why she's pissed is because she believes that he strong armed me into talking about things that I wasn't really ready to talk about, and now that those things are out and have caused problems in the relationship, he's suddenly contemplating running away. Whereas, in her mind, had he left me alone, we wouldn't be having these problems, or at least, far less likely. I.e. - he opened up a can of worms, and now that he realizes it's difficult to deal with, he wants to either shove them all back in or just drop the can and run.

I don't think he was being manipulative however - if anything, I think he was being naive. I think he thought that hurrying up and getting everything out there would make things easier because we'd see what was all there, but he never really stopped to think about the emotional fallout from it. I knew there could be serious emotional fallout, but I fooled myself into thinking I was ready to talk about it.

But I do agree with her that this was the action that steered our relationship on its current path. :nono:

I wouldn't even try to guess what his motivations were in pushing you but let me share why it concerned me.

I wouldn't say that it sounded manipulative to me. Rather I wondered if it was a little controlling. It was like he felt like there was information about you that he had to know and he needed to know it on his timeline, not yours so there wouldn't be any surprises. The thing is, if you're a survivor of abuse, I would imagine that one of your struggles is establishing healthy boundaries because abuse is all about transgressing boundaries. One of the ways you recover is by being able to define how you are going to share yourself, with whom, and when.

Now some people who have been abused completely shut down and can't connect and so they need to be pushed out of there comfort zone a bit. While others are often a target for further abuse because they don't have a healthy sense of self and thus continue to allow others to transgress their boundaries in unhealthy ways. Only you would know whether this resonates for you or not.

Again, I have no idea what was motivating him and like you hope that his intentions were good and honest. But I think the real question is how can you be open and honest with him yet honor your own boundaries and sense of self so you don't feel so exposed and vulnerable as to lash out? Maybe if are honest with him about your struggle in sharing this information, and that part of your healing is reclaiming ownership of your own life, he can understand your need to share this on your own timeline and in your own way.

Last edited:
the bolded is a common occurence....taking time to heal and be alone to get to know yourself is a great thing....ideally if we are on one extreme we want to move towards some internal balance, however its very common people go from extreme to extreme......flip right to the other side of the same coin in the just now under a new guise of ...learning to be alone and do some self analyzing when its done in a healthy way just helps those who are so afraid to be alone be okay with being alone vs being lonely in life....to be okay alone will never mean that you don't want to ever be in a relationship and if one buys into the notion that they must be alone to work on themselves and get it all together BEFORE they can be in a relationship they may be alone the rest of this lifetime...but if one is afraid of being alone and is lonely, hates their own company, lacks severely in the self love dept... taking time to be alone is the best way to get past this issue....taking time to be alone is simply to learn to love yourself and enjoy your own company as is where you are in the present moment (with all your issues, all your "flaws", embrace and forgive yourself for all the things you beat urself up for, heal and let go of things no longer serving you, etc) not to become some perfect person...once you can get to this point issues will start resolving themselves and alot of issues as you get over them will be a much faster process with other people involved, esp people who love you.....

the only point anybody ideally would want to get to when they are alone and choose to work on themselves is to realize a state of unconditional love for themselves, to accept themselves, forgive themselves, forgive others, heal hurts, understand themselves, acknowledge issues, remove veils and release delusions, become self aware of who they are etc....this process of getting to full love of the self doesn't have to be a life long process of doing it by yourself and it doesn't equate to being "perfect" and issueless....getting to the point of loving yourself even (especially) in a bad state is a big step towards moving forward in life

I'm getting ready to request an "Ask Tiara" forum....you give great advice!

It seems like you are in the right place. You understand what the problem is, you are committed to fixing it, and you want to continue this relationship. If you know for sure that
this man is also in the right place: willing to understand the problem, willing to commit fully, and ready and willing to fight for the relationship - then let him have a little space.

However, I must say that I partly agree with Likih's husband. Don't wait too long. After 1 - 1.5 weeks, he should be desperate to see you for a lunch or dinner date; after all, you are the person he loves. Right? I would setup a meeting where you two can begin discussing the next chapter of your relationship, and how you both will take steps to address this problem.

I hope everything works out well for you. Whether you take my advice or not. I just hope that you can come to terms with the emotional baggage that is weighing you down. It is possible to overcome this, but it will take some work. Hopefully he will be there to work with you.

*UPDATE*

He reached out on his own and asked to meet me either tomorrow or Sunday.

Thank you to everyone for your insights. A lot of what you said really helped me to put things in perspective, and I'm really so grateful for that.

I decided to basically "fall off the face of the earth." I didn't call him or send him a single email, text or instant message. In fact, I stayed offline completely for the most part (and when I did log on, I was invisible). I told one of my guy friends about doing that and his response was: "Holy s*&t, you really did that??? That is SO hard for most women to do! I can't believe it!" :lachen:

I also made sure to use the time to worry more about MYSELF than him. I faced a lot of my emotions head on and really took a lot of time to be by myself in the evenings to experience and sort through them. The timing was actually great - I have a stressful job with long hours, but this particular week, I was able to make it home almost every night to have a couple of hours to myself. And, wow, despite the pain, it was fantastic. I've gained a lot of insights that will really help me move foward past a lot of my former hurts, period.

I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again for your support!

*UPDATE*

He reached out on his own and asked to meet me either tomorrow or Sunday.

Thank you to everyone for your insights. A lot of what you said really helped me to put things in perspective, and I'm really so grateful for that.

I decided to basically "fall off the face of the earth." I didn't call him or send him a single email, text or instant message. In fact, I stayed offline completely for the most part (and when I did log on, I was invisible). I told one of my guy friends about doing that and his response was: "Holy s*&t, you really did that??? That is SO hard for most women to do! I can't believe it!" :lachen:

I also made sure to use the time to worry more about MYSELF than him. I faced a lot of my emotions head on and really took a lot of time to be by myself in the evenings to experience and sort through them. The timing was actually great - I have a stressful job with long hours, but this particular week, I was able to make it home almost every night to have a couple of hours to myself. And, wow, despite the pain, it was fantastic. I've gained a lot of insights that will really help me move foward past a lot of my former hurts, period.

I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again for your support!

Girl, I'm not even worried about you...do you know how hard it is for women to cut off all contact like that...you are definitely holding the reins and guiding your own life. Congratulations and good luck!

Good for you OP! It is hard to cut off all contact but I've noticed that when you can do it, you feel a strange sense of empowerment:yep:

Even when you meet with him, regardless of what transpires, continue to work on you...

Back