Sept-nov No Buy Challenge

After some thought I am now in. I gave away at least 50 percent of my stash to various people and organizations. And after all that I still have a lot of stuff left. There are some dcs I just can't give away but I think I will be good for another year or so at least.

I feel like I wasted so much money buying stuff I don't need and/or didn't use. I don't like giving stuff to people who don't value what I give to them so that is why I donated to a local program. They were so happy

After some thought I am now in. I gave away at least 50 percent of my stash to various people and organizations. And after all that I still have a lot of stuff left. There are some dcs I just can't give away but I think I will be good for another year or so at least.

I feel like I wasted so much money buying stuff I don't need and/or didn't use. I don't like giving stuff to people who don't value what I give to them so that is why I donated to a local program. They were so happy

I love this. What program? I wanna do this, but my products have been used at least once. I wonder if they would take them still.

I have significantly decreased my stash and I still feel like I have a lot of stuff. It looks like this now because I reupped my staples and I have a lot of things for styling in there. As I've gotten better at knowing my hair I don't really need/use those stylers anymore. I have a huge bottle of lottabody that is staring at me in my bin that I want to toss. Why do I have this? I think I bought it for rollersets can't remember.

Deep conditiong right now with Paul Mitchell super charged moisturizer and my hair is feeling good. I'm straightening today so I won't be using hardly any products. Leave in and serum. I was supposed to do this last night but my laziness took over.

Oh and the it's a 10 miracle leave in conditioner original worked last week on clean damp hair. I'll use this on my moisture weeks when I'm rollersetting or twisting. I still won't repurchase though.

Hi, all!

September 1 is right around the corner. So I'm trying to ascertain whether I'm TRULY set up for three months.
  • I'm looking at my Shea Moisture High Porosity masque, which is low.
  • I'm looking at my DevaCurl Decadence No Poo and One Condition, which are both low.
  • I'm tempted to purchase my mock cart at Etsy's Darcy's Botanicals: It contains her non-typical gel and her pumpkin conditioner that everyone keeps raving about.
  • I'm tempted to buy samples from Curl Junkie. Soooooooo many people tell me to try this brand.
  • I'm tempted to buy samples from Curl Keeper.
  • I gave in and purchased samples from Komaza. Yeah. I didn't want to be thinking about that all no-buy long.
  • I know I need to get some jojoba oil. (I know oils aren't included in the no-buy, but I'm just thinking aloud.)
  • I know I'm going to order that steamer.
  • I canceled the follow-up Huetiful appointment that the stylist scheduled for me. I just don't need it right now. I'd rather take that $70 and put it toward the steamer.
Hmm . . . I think I'm just going to save the SM masque and the DevaCurl cleanser and conditioner for Sundays (church) and "force" myself to use all the other samples and stuff I have during the week. I have masks from Bekura and NaturalleGrow that NEED TO BE USED/TRIALED FURTHER. I'm not going to get the Curl Junkie samples. I miiiiiiiight get the Curl Keeper samples. :scratchchin: Still thinking about it.

Last edited:
@YvetteWithJoy For some strange reason, I felt a little weird today about running out of conditioner during the next 3 months. I have no clue why I was feeling that way when I know good and well that my conditioner stash can see me through way longer than that. :lachen:I still picked up a few more anyway today :nuts: At this point the only products I'm using in my hair is conditioner, oil on my ends and shampoo every 2 weeks. I kept telling myself that in order to justify the purchase. Once again :nuts: .

P.S. I don't know much about Curl Keeper (never even heard of that brand) but Curl Junkie? Yes Ma'am. All the conditioners are yummy. I use the rinse out's as leave in's. The deep conditioner (Curl Rehab) is nice too. I would leave it in but can't get past that strong factory flower smell. Otherwise, it's great.

Now that I have washed out the keratin treatment I can definitely feel a difference in my hair. I'm using one of my passes on another bottle of Uncurly...

If Kerastase or Lookfantastic has a good enough sale, I'll stock up on my cleansing conditioner and a few deep conditioners. These days I'm too lazy to be a pj. I put off washing my hair until the last minute every time.

Random thought: I saw some satin covered pillow rollers at a bss the other day. If I can make it over there before the challenge starts I'll get a few packs.

I'm in this no buy challenge!! I have enough products in all categories to last me through December, except for 3 items. I want to buy another wig, two boxes of SM hair color (I do a touch up every 6-8 weeks), and purchase another moisturizer for my daughter's hair. I will purchase all of that Wednesday evening.

Goals for this challenge:
-to use up or give away 1/4th of my stash~12/48 products. Eventually, I want to get down to around 15 products in my stash.
-save money on family hair care budget/allowance

Last edited:
I have to revisit my goals to make sure I don't save all this money then blow it at the end of the 3 months. I also want to invest in another mutual fund before the year is over so there's that. Over figured out that I spend on average $125-$175 on hair products a month. How??? I didn't know it was that much. Especially since I thought a lot of my stuff is cheap. I guess Joico and Paul Mitchell aren't exactly cheapie products but I thought affordable. I'm shaking my head at myself. I'm paying closer attention this no buy.

I feel really proud of myself that I resisted the temptation to buy more stuff. I was going to buy Paul Mitchell the conditioner and some other stuff. Meanwhile I have plenty of leave in conditioners I've yet to crack open.

So I've been questioning myself when I get the urge.

"What do I have in my stash that can work like this?"

So far this has been helping me look through my stash and finding unopened stuff that would work as well as the product I want.

Here is what my stash is looking like for the challenge starting tomorrow.

The cabinet shows all my staples and what I'm using at the moment.

image.jpeg

The box shows my back up's of those staples that I keep in my closet. There are several items that are not staples that I like so I'm taking my time using them up, but they will not be repurchased. So this box should be halved within the next 6 months.

image.jpeg

Not shown is 2 liters of Curl Junkie Curl Rehab. They are still in route to me by UPS. :look:

I'm ready!

upload_2016-8-31_17-59-4.png

My plan is to use the pictured products in my core routine (I'll start using the NurCreations clay wash once the Naturalicious clay wash runs out . . . and I'll toggle back and forth between the CRN Curl Maker gel and the Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic gel).
I'm still determining this, but I think I'm going to proceed over the next three months in the following way:
  • Do TWO wash-and-go's using my core routine/products
  • Then do ONE wash-and-go switching things up using other products/techniques in order to try to improve my wash-and-go
  • Do TWO wash-and-go's using my core routine/products
  • Etc.
I feel like after conditioning with the DevaCurl One Condition, I need to apply a moisturizer/leave-in BEFORE applying the jojoba oil. I have a little bit of Oyin Hair Dew to play with there, and the CRN Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (not really a gel) to play with there.

I was curious, but I did not purchase the DevaCurl deep conditioner, leave-in, and curl spray, nor the Curl Keeper styler and gel samples, nor the Curl Junkie samples.

I feel like I'm going to end up using a pass on the steamer and possibly on some Original Moxie Shape Shifter.

Overall my stash isn't CRAZY, but I definitely have too many products. I know in my heart that I just "had to try" to find great products and that I did do my best by purchasing samples whenever I could, but I'm still ready to COMPLETELY tone it down with the product searching/purchasing. I got a compliment on my hair today, using the products above. I just need to relax and focus on incremental styling improvements and length retention.

I think I'm going to type up a list of the products I have and then celebrate as I cross them off when they are used up. :smile:

NO MORE PURCHASING! :clap:

I seem to have to sit on my hands in order to stop myself from buying anything. This is going to be hard.

I had the same thought. But then I made a hair care and styling "schedule" so that I could kind of map out what I would be using when, and that helped. For two wash-and-go's in a row, I'll be using a core set of products. Then for the third wash-and-go, I'll experiment with techniques or other products in my stash. Then back to two staple-product wash-and-go's. Then an experiment. And so forth.

I have enough random, other products in my stash besides my core products to make that schedule interesting enough to keep me from purchasing, I think. If I get a routine and rhythm, I feel like that will stave off my feeling like I just HAVE to have something new: I'll be trying something new every 3rd wash and style. That's psychologically satisfying for me. :smile:

I was on Amazon earlier and I almost got a heat protectant/serum. I was going to get Sabino Moisture Block or Chi Silk infusion. Sabino made my hair easier to heat train (loose curls), but Chi always made my hair light & silky. I couldn't make a decision, plus a lot of reviews were saying the Chi wasn't authentic.

@Nightingale what is your new regimen like?

I'm following @caliscurls 2- strand twists regimen with some modifications. I want to stick with twists until I reach WL.

1x weekly: (leave twists in)
  1. Diluted hard water shampoo- to remove product buildup, hard water minerals, silicones, etc., so I have a clean slate for my DC. More gentle than using 100% strength and weekly washing keeps my sensitive scalp itch free.
  2. DC - with a light, silicone free conditioner (V05 Extra Body) mixed with penetrating hair oils. This actually moisturizes without giving me buildup.
  3. Apply a silicone conditioner as a leave in (Aussie Moist)- this works better for me as a sealant than oils or butters. Lighter but still gives some weight. Not greasy. Plays well with my stylers.
  4. Apply a slippery styler to twists. Untwist, detangle, then retwist.- Currently using ITDF Marshmallow Moisture Balm.
  5. Use an oil based pomade on my ends- Currently using ITDF Olive Conditioning Pomade.
I already used the products just switched the method up. I've only had one wash day doing this and immediately saw and felt a difference in my hair.

I'm following @caliscurls 2- strand twists regimen with some modifications. I want to stick with twists until I reach WL.

1x weekly: (leave twists in)
  1. Diluted hard water shampoo- to remove product buildup, hard water minerals, silicones, etc., so I have a clean slate for my DC. More gentle than using 100% strength and weekly washing keeps my sensitive scalp itch free.
  2. DC - with a light, silicone free conditioner (V05 Extra Body) mixed with penetrating hair oils. This actually moisturizes without giving me buildup.
  3. Apply a silicone conditioner as a leave in (Aussie Moist)- this works better for me as a sealant than oils or butters. Lighter but still gives some weight. Not greasy. Plays well with my stylers.
  4. Apply a slippery styler to twists. Untwist, detangle, then retwist.- Currently using ITDF Marshmallow Moisture Balm.
  5. Use an oil based pomade on my ends- Currently using ITDF Olive Conditioning Pomade.
I already used the products just switched the method up. I've only had one wash day doing this and immediately saw and felt a difference in my hair.

@Nightingale, will you review the ITDF Marshmallow Moisture Balm? What would you compare it to? Do you think it would be good for wash-and-go's?

My plan is to use only these products and my Uncurly keratin kit.
View attachment 372409

tumblr_nxdhopOman1rha1pto1_250.gif

Now I want but I cant
tumblr_inline_o9owx2L05y1qkdy13_500.gif

So how is the cristalise line? It's in my shopping cart.

I'm restocking one hair item tomorrow, then I'm officially no buy.

Goals: Stick to my new regimen and save for Xmas gifts.

One more goal: Figuring out how quickly I use up one bottle/jar of each product I use. I don't buy much new stuff but, I do buy backups of my staples whenever I get the buying urge. I would have reason to buy less often if I knew when I could conceivably use up what I had.

I returned some unopened hair products to Target and Sally's this evening. Instead of exchanging for more hair product, I bought some nail stuff and a toy for my son.

Back