Self Conscious about hair..

CheerBear

Ok. Here I am 10 weeks post relaxer with unruly 4a/b hair. My hair actually looks really funny if I dont have it pulled back into a pony tail because it's like an afro that has sprouted straight hairs. anyway....I'm getting to feel really bad, I know its stupid but I watch tv and see people with the smooth, flowing hair( weave or not) and my guy is drooling all over them, I find myself wishing I wasnt going through this ordeal. It's when I see anyone with straight hair..I'm determined not to be putting heat in my hair unnecessarily and even with heat, my new growth doesnt get completely straight...rollersetting doesnt hurt either, you cant stretch out my new growth and I feel like everyone is lookign at me making fun of my nappy hair!!!!...Im very hair sad right now.

Don't be sad about that girl. You have what you have, and I'm sure it doesn't look ugly.

Say that you were watching t.v and the Rock came on (he is fyyyneee, and you know it) Your bf would probably feel insecure too. That doesn't mean that you're unsatisfied with him.

Why would some models on t.v make him unsatisfied with you?

Congrats on keeping your hair healthy
clap.gif

And don't worry, since you take such good care of all of that hair, it'll look just as good if not better than those women on tv.
smile.gif

Good point Purtygurly about the Rock. He is gorgeous!

CheerBear, don't sweat that TV stuff. TV is for entertainment. Half the girls hair is weave, and all of them have professional stylists around 24/7. Our hair would look like that too if we had that luxury. When my bf used to drool over girls on TV, I told him to turn to MTV to see if that D'Angelo video was on... That shut his
censored.gif
up real quick!!

Why don't you set your hair in a curly style. That camouflages the new growth and gives you a cute style at the same time. Try a braid out, twist out, bantu knot set, or small flexi rods.
You'll feel better because your hair will look good while you're stretching your relaxer out.

OR - you could get a straight sewn in weave if you're really craving straight hair.

Keep us posted on what ever you decide and CHEER up CHEERBEAR
spinning.gif
(corny, I know but I couldn't resist!)

Girl, been there. I thought I was the only one that felt that way.
shocked.gif

Honestly though, people were looking at my head (or at least it felt like they were) and I was wondering why??
confused.gif
I mean yes you could see the difference in my two textures when it was pulled back in a bun, but so what!! It was neat!
grin.gif

Don't let others make you feel uncomfortable or keep you from reaching your hair goals!! You've got to do what you know is right for you and your hair.

If you feel that self-conscious go and get one of those curly pony tails, put it at the top of your head and let the curls cascade down around your face. It will hide most of your outgrowth. Just a thought...

awweee
kiss.gif
dont feel bad. i know when i get tired of seeing to much "puff" going up on top my head i wear my hair down and pop a little cap on my head like the type you buy at the BSS for a $1 or so. i have lots of these little caps and you dont have to worry about making your two textures look the same because your new growth is covered
wink.gif
(i have a pic of me wearing one in my album so you can get an idea of what it would look like) hth -- jainygirl

I know exactly how you feel.
smile.gif
I have been post relaxer for 5 months and I have a straight weave in now, and the roots are making me mad, I will be touching up next month HOWEVER, you will feel so much better when you get a touch up, knowing your hair has grown so much, so try to focus on that .. I know it is hard because I am there
As Chanteuse said try other styles to compliment the new growth..

Celebrate!!! Tha new growth
band2.gif
dance7.gif
party2.gif

Don't let it get you down.....as mentioned by Chanteuse, definitely try out alternative styles that will help maintain the new and old texture so there's not breakage and you'll look great!!!!!

how long before you get a touch up? If you are holding out for as long as you can.....maybe try some shampoo/cond. that help relax the hair ( I use Matrix Sleek, but others here have used other things....only Lanza Strait Line comes to mind) maybe that will help....like most things I've noticed over the years...sometime ,we see ourselves far more harshly than what others see...be easy and be happy with ALLLLLL that NEW GROWTH!!!!

I am 6 weeks post relaxer and have an inch to 1.5 inches new growth.I amm quite self conscious about it.I definitely understand what you mean about the afro that has sprouted straight hairs.My hair looks like that even in a pony.

My theory in life is ' there is always someone else worse off than you' so when ya look over at him wondering if he's thinking about your hair - remember - you are looking over at someONE and not just the blank wall staring back at me.
ohwell.gif

You are not ugly, I'm sure you look fine. Keep your goals in mind and do what you came to LHCF to do "WORK that beautiful hair" and smile
smile.gif
you're a BEAR!!!!!

I am agreeing with the ladies who say to set your hair curly. sometimes i wear 2 curly pigtails, or just use pink rollers all over, sit under the dryer and throw them out. the curls fall a bit then i put on a headband.

dont be discouraged!

Thanks ladies! I really appreciate all the encouragement. I'm going to experiment tonight and see what I can do to blend the textures. Thanks again! yall are so sweet!

Back