Does anyone else get self-conscious about having long hair?

Nope, can't say that I do! lol I get the lingering stares, I get the wow that's all you!! I even go so far as to encourage people to weave check me lol I'm bold:giggle: here in New York we love the dramatic and the chic so the more of a statement your hair makes the more people love it lol.

When my hair's straight I watch people have inner dialoges trying to decide if they believe its all me, I flip my hair I run my hands thru it I pick up my purse strap because its sitting on top of my hair I purposefully scratch the middle of my hair to display that my whole scalp doesn't move because of it....ALL that lmao I've got it down to a subtle science now.

When I'm wearing my hair down I wear it proudly and I love to see curious people it usually turns into a fun discussion on what I use and how they can go natural too....I usually end up writing down some good natural stuff to use in their hair/ products and I skip home lol

Last edited:
Since going natural I rarely straighten my hair. But whenever I do I feel really conspicuous. When I wear my natural hair I feel confident and just go about my daily business. But when my hair is straight I feel like more people are looking at me, evaluating/judging me (like someone wearing a gold jacket to a funeral and everyone else is wearing black).

I can't fully explain what I mean. But I know that some people expect people with longer than average hair to be bougie, and that's not how I am. But I worry more about my actions and having to consciously avoid doing anything to give off this vibe (ex. no accidental hair flips/tosses to move my hair out of the way).

I know it sounds crazy. :spinning: Anyone else felt this way though?

eta: this has just been on my mind today since I straightened my hair for my birthday (just to change it up, do something different and do a length check).

I feel the same way. When my hair is straight I don't wear it down as much. I don't want people thinking I am snooty.

Since going natural I rarely straighten my hair. But whenever I do I feel really conspicuous. When I wear my natural hair I feel confident and just go about my daily business. But when my hair is straight I feel like more people are looking at me, evaluating/judging me (like someone wearing a gold jacket to a funeral and everyone else is wearing black).

I can't fully explain what I mean. But I know that some people expect people with longer than average hair to be bougie, and that's not how I am. But I worry more about my actions and having to consciously avoid doing anything to give off this vibe (ex. no accidental hair flips/tosses to move my hair out of the way).

I know it sounds crazy. :spinning: Anyone else felt this way though?

eta: this has just been on my mind today since I straightened my hair for my birthday (just to change it up, do something different and do a length check).

I can see how that could happen you've had a lot of growth, but don't get so self conscious that you don't enjoy your hair worrying about what people are thinking, don't let people have that much power over you, you can't live in fear worrying about them, they're going to hate on you anyways even if they saw your scalp.
There's nothing wrong with being bougie if that's who you are so what. People are going to think what they want regardless whether you were your hair down/up, curly/straight, dress down/bummy, or dressed sharp, you gotta DO YOU.
Actually if they think it's a good weave that's a compliment, but flip that hair, and enjoy it.

Last edited:
I flip my hair I run my hands thru it I pick up my purse strap because its sitting on top of my hair I purposefully scratch the middle of my hair to display that my whole scalp doesn't move because of it....ALL that lmao I've got it down to a subtle science now. lol

:lachen: I'm going to do that now.

Happy Birthday! I go thru that sometimes. I flat ion once in a blue moon. I get people trying to pull my hair etc.Your hair is very pretty. Happy Hair Growing!

Well, your hair is really long so I would probably look at you in admiration.

But, I do feel you on the hair toss thing. I try and curb it depending on my environment.

Happy (belated?) birthday! :wave:

I get self-conscious when I wear my hair down but it's because I'm overly concerned with it getting caught on something. I'm APL. :ohwell:

Your hair is gorgeous!

Happy birthday SEMO! Your hair is beautiful. Is it waist length? Looks like it in your siggie.

Anyway I don't necessarily feel self conscious about my hair when its out and straightened. Like the bolded above states, I am more worried about sitting on my hair when I get on the train, having my hair caught in stuff, spitting out hair when I drive and accidentally leave the window open :grin: LOL and if I'm wearing lipgloss.. oh forget it!

I am getting my hair straightened next Wednesday. That means that for 6 days straight I'll walk around with scrunchies in my bag so I can tie my hair back to protect it from getting snagged at any given moment.

I feel that way at times so you rarely see me out in public places without my hair being in a bun. A ponytail maybe while I'm at work. Plus I don't like the idea of my hair rubbing against stuff or people trying to touch it. A short while back I was on public transportation and some dude pulled hard on my ponytail as he exited the bus. It took a lot for me not to jump off the bus after him. I really wanted to hurt him...

BTW--Your hair is beautiful and happy birthday!:yep:

Aw, yeah the CTA. Dangerous for the hair.

This may sound paranoid, but I try not to sit in front of teenage girls on the bus. The rowdy ones. You know the ones. I at least turn sideways. And my hair is not nearly as long as the OP.

nope my hair is not long enough and never has been BUT when I blow dried my Fro and wore it big I was self concious. It was so big and fluffy looking. I got lots of stares...not sure if they were good or bad as I don't make eye contact often. Haha I guess it's the other way around when it comes to me. Although I don't feel self concious rocking like my wash n go's just my BIG hair.

This may sound paranoid, but I try not to sit in front of teenage girls on the bus. The rowdy ones. You know the ones. I at least turn sideways. And my hair is not nearly as long as the OP.

Totally understand that one... I avoid them anyway, just too much negativity :rolleyes:

Wow, I did NOT expect all these responses when I got back. This has to be my most popular thread ever. :lachen:

And thank you SO much to everyone who gave me birthday wishes. :hug2: I had a great birthday yesterday.

Happy birthday SEMO! Your hair is beautiful. Is it waist length? Looks like it in your siggie.

Anyway I don't necessarily feel self conscious about my hair when its out and straightened. Like the bolded above states, I am more worried about sitting on my hair when I get on the train, having my hair caught in stuff, spitting out hair when I drive and accidentally leave the window open :grin: LOL and if I'm wearing lipgloss.. oh forget it!

I am getting my hair straightened next Wednesday. That means that for 6 days straight I'll walk around with scrunchies in my bag so I can tie my hair back to protect it from getting snagged at any given moment.

You know what, I'm not sure. I thought the same thing when I saw the photo. But my hair is only a few inches past BSL. Also, I'm not too sure what waist length is. If it's the point where your ribcage ends and your sides dip in, then I think I am. It's pretty shocking to think about that. Also, what's the difference between MBL and WL? I thought I would be MBL when I straightened it, but maybe I just have a short torso. :drunk:

After thinking about it more, people are probably not even paying me as much attention as I think. It's not like I've stopped traffic with my hair or caused accidents. :lachen:

Last edited:
If it's the point where your ribcage ends and your sides dip in, then I think I am. It's pretty shocking to think about that. Also, what's the difference between MBL and WL? I thought I would be MBL when I straightened it, but maybe I just have a short torso. :drunk:

Yes :yep: that's WL.

I have a short torso too - it's only a few inches between BSL, MBL and WL. It's my legs that hold all my height... if I had "normal" length legs, I'd only be like 5' 5". :lol:

After thinking about it more, people are probably not even paying me as much attention as I think. It's not like I've stopped traffic with my hair or caused accidents.

I have :look: but not when my hair was straightened. But I live in a city of weirdos anyway :lachen:

Happy birthday, SEMO! :kiss:

I know when my BC grows out, I will have BIG hair. It only worries me when I think about sneaking into my lectures late. :lol:

Don't get me started on when I get it pressed/straightened. I'll be flipping my hair, whipping my head around, leaning forward so it spills over my shoulder, everything. :lachen: I've never had long hair - can you tell?

I get a similar feeling that the OP described at times. Not because of length so much, but because of thickness. When my hair is straight, it's still "big"--if you know what I mean, and curly or straight, when it's out it does get attention and I always feel like I'm being looked at. The fact that I'm 5'9 doesn't help either. It's funny though. Even though when I have that feeling, I'm a little uncomfortable--but when I'm not getting it I'm wondering why and a lil disappointed. :D haha

I know when my BC grows out, I will have BIG hair. It only worries me when I think about sneaking into my lectures late. :lol:

Don't get me started on when I get it pressed/straightened. I'll be flipping my hair, whipping my head around, leaning forward so it spills over my shoulder, everything. :lachen: I've never had long hair - can you tell?

^^^and you will be there in no time Robotxcore I beat my own record for hair growth with each year you betta swang it all over the place once you got it girl! In the mean time enjoy the lovliness that is your twa its sooooo fierce and cute :)

I get a similar feeling that the OP described at times. Not because of length so much, but because of thickness. When my hair is straight, it's still "big"--if you know what I mean, and curly or straight, when it's out it does get attention and I always feel like I'm being looked at. The fact that I'm 5'9 doesn't help either. It's funny though. Even though when I have that feeling, I'm a little uncomfortable--but when I'm not getting it I'm wondering why and a lil disappointed. :D haha

You just described me to a T! Big hair and 5' 9" :grin:

Yes :yep: that's WL.

I have a short torso too - it's only a few inches between BSL, MBL and WL. It's my legs that hold all my height... if I had "normal" length legs, I'd only be like 5' 5". :lol:

I have :look: but not when my hair was straightened. But I live in a city of weirdos anyway :lachen:

Well there you go, I'm only 5'3". :lachen:

And I knew that there were women on here stopping traffic. I think I even remember someone making a thread about it.

:lachen::lachen:I do the same thing. I just save all that "extra-ness" for the comfort of my own home. :look:

^^^and you will be there in no time Robotxcore I beat my own record for hair growth with each year you betta swang it all over the place once you got it girl! In the mean time enjoy the lovliness that is your twa its sooooo fierce and cute :)

Thanks a lot, girl! :kiss: Trust, I can't wait to have a big ole 'fro and be able to do two-strand twists and buns and braid outs!

And again, welcome to the site. I LOOOOVE looking at your hair! :lol:

:lachen::lachen:I do the same thing. I just save all that "extra-ness" for the
comfort of my own home. :look:

Girl, when Becky flips her hair, don't no one accuse HER of stuntin'!
Stunt, I say! Stunt until you can't stunt no more! :lachen:

You know what, I'm not sure. I thought the same thing when I saw the photo. But my hair is only a few inches past BSL. Also, I'm not too sure what waist length is. If it's the point where your ribcage ends and your sides dip in, then I think I am. It's pretty shocking to think about that. Also, what's the difference between MBL and WL? I thought I would be MBL when I straightened it, but maybe I just have a short torso. :drunk:

I knew you were WL! And you're right, your natural waist is where your sides dip in. For many people it's not to far above the belly button.

MBL and WL can be the same place on some people or they can be different. MBL is just the middle of your back and for some that's at bsl, between bsl and wl, or after wl. It just depends. Hopefully someone will post the chart.

And umm, I'll have to check back about the self-consciousness in a few years. I'll be sure to bump the thread then :yep:.

Girl, when Becky flips her hair, don't no one accuse HER of stuntin'!
Stunt, I say! Stunt until you can't stunt no more! :lachen:

True. :lachen: I'll do a hair flip when I'm out tomorrow and think of you. :drunk: :lachen::lachen:

I was just thinking about it tonight and, with my hair in it's straightened state, I believe I am at the dream hair length that I always wanted as a child. I really can't believe it. LHCF has definitely helped me get here.

Now if only I could get to my dream length with my curly hair (collar bone length un-stretched).

When my scalp tingles, or I suddenly feel renewed with sexiness, I'll know Semo threw me a hair flip. I feel you, girl! ;)

I knew you were WL! And you're right, your natural waist is where your sides dip in. For many people it's not to far above the belly button.

MBL and WL can be the same place on some people or they can be different. MBL is just the middle of your back and for some that's at bsl, between bsl and wl, or after wl. It just depends. Hopefully someone will post the chart.

And umm, I'll have to check back about the self-consciousness in a few years. I'll be sure to bump the thread then :yep:.

Thanks for the explanation! It didn't seem possible at first that I could be only a few inches past BSL and be WL. I also think I was getting WL and hip length mixed up.

I guess one perk of being shorter than average, or having a short torso, is that you reach WL sooner. :drunk:

Unfortunately my hair isn't long enough for me to have this problem yet. However, I am looking forward to finding out.

Back