Second Thoughts about long hair

almondjoi85

I may be alone on this one, but the longer and healthier (thicker) my hair gets the more I feel like cutting it shorter. My hair is by no means long, but its long to me. This is the longest/healthiest/thickest my hair has ever been and I am having issues with it. It takes me forever to blow dry it and I am starting to wonder if I could handle my hair if it was truly long, like BSL or longer. :ohwell: With all that said, does anyone have any tips or ideas to help me out.

BTW, I'm a 4a/b or something like that?:look: Relaxed/texlaxed

I felt that way for a second :lol: I love long hair too much to ever cut it :)

Braidouts are saving the day for me. It's a low manipulation, yet cute style :)

DSylla, you're looking like a VS model in that picture :lick: sexy hair, girl!

When I do my hair myself, I shampoo and condition with suave humectant and dc with miss keys. I think let it dry about 75% and then blow dry the rest. I use a round brush to get the roots str8 and then just do some type of updo with the rest if I don't plan on wearing it down.

You are totally not alone. I just cut off another much-needed inch last night. Now my ends look healthy and much thicker. Last year I had length goals. This year I been forced to address some health issues, so I am concentrating on my overall health, which I hope will translate into healthier hair. So right now it's all about health, thickness, rather than length. And I do mean that...

and ummmmmm back to the topic. . . I'll let u know when I have hair long enough for a ponytail if I feel it is too much. . . but I don't have it yet, but I am PRETTY SURE that anything past BSL might be too much for me. . . like my hair is DENSE, so if it is long AND healthy, im sure it will be too much for me. my hair right now is like 2 inches from shoulder length and takes forever to dry, EVEN if I am using the hand held dryer.

You are totally not alone. I just cut off another much-needed inch last night. Now my ends look healthy and much thicker. Last year I had length goals. This year I been forced to address some health issues, so I am concentrating on my overall health, which I hope will translate into healthier hair. So right now it's all about health, thickness, rather than length. And I do mean that...

Yup. me too!

and thanks ya'll for the compliments. :)

Funny, I thought that yesterday while trying on a few inches below bra strap wigs. The hair was cumbersome to me. I think I'm going to be happy at brastrap and keep it there once I reach it.

Well, I can't wait for my hair to be so long that it's bothersome! I have to say, I think that between blowdrying, rollersetting, flatironing and airdrying that blowdrying is the most tedious for me. I much prefer rollersetting, maybe you should try this and see if you like it, then you can rollerset and saran wrap.

Befor you cut your hair, PM or email someone with your hair type and density, with hair your length or longer and get tips and advice from them on the best way to handle it. Visit some fotkis and look at the regimens, see if you pick up any good tips. Braid outs seem to be very low maintenance and they look good.

Befor you cut your hair, PM or email someone with your hair type and density, with hair your length or longer and get tips and advice from them on the best way to handle it. Visit some fotkis and look at the regimens, see if you pick up any good tips. Braid outs seem to be very low maintenance and they look good.

Thanks for the advice...will do! :yep:

I may be alone on this one, but the longer and healthier (thicker) my hair gets the more I feel like cutting it shorter. My hair is by no means long, but its long to me. This is the longest/healthiest/thickest my hair has ever been and I am having issues with it. It takes me forever to blow dry it and I am starting to wonder if I could handle my hair if it was truly long, like BSL or longer. :ohwell: With all that said, does anyone have any tips or ideas to help me out.

BTW, I'm a 4a/b or something like that?:look: Relaxed/texlaxed

Girl, I pray you don't cut your hair. You have lovely hair! And I know, once you see it at BSL, you'll be happy that you didn't cut it. I'm obsessed with your blog and I know many that are as well. You have been doing so well! Don't give up now!

Girl, I pray you don't cut your hair. You have lovely hair! And I know, once you see it at BSL, you'll be happy that you didn't cut it. I'm obsessed with your blog and I know many that are as well. You have been doing so well! Don't give up now!

REALLY?!?? THANKS SO MUCH! I didn't really think too many ppl really looked at it. That makes me want to go write some more posts right now! :grin:

OT: Absolutely gorgeous hair DSylla!! :up:

Back on topic:

I have enjoyed the special challenges long, thick hair brings. It continues to be exciting for me. I agree with DSylla about braidouts and I'll include rollersets and pincurls. The longer the hair gets doesn't have to mean more work. :yep:

REALLY?!?? THANKS SO MUCH! I didn't really think too many ppl really looked at it. That makes me want to go write some more posts right now! :grin:

LOL! Yeah girl. I love your blog so much, I use it as a reference and have linked yours on mine. You have good info and product reviews and your hair is beautiful! You obviosuly are doing something right. Look at your progress. It's inspiring! Keep growing lady!

OP I feel you- and thats why anytime my hair length and width get to shoulder- I would promptly cut it :grin:. This year my challenge is to grow it out and learn to deal with it. Its definitely alot of hair but I think with the support of the ladies of the hair board, We can do it. For now Im trying to weave it up like Lotus' hair so i can get use to the thickness and the density. I know if I pay 200 for a weave Im not taking it out anytime soon. :grin:

LOL! Yeah girl. I love your blog so much, I use it as a reference and have linked yours on mine. You have good info and product reviews and your hair is beautiful! You obviosuly are doing something right. Look at your progress. It's inspiring! Keep growing lady!

Thanks girly! I'll add you blog to mine!

The only thing that makes me wana cut is thinking about rollersetting, but hopefully I will get more and more used to it as my hair grows.

Wow...I'm just the opposite. The longer and healthier my hair gets, the easier it is to manage and style. My problem was trying to keep short hair looking good. Now that was a major pain for me.

My hair is no where near long but I know what you mean. A lot of ladies here have be-yoo-ti-ful hair but sometimes I wonder how do they take care of it?

BTW I love your hair!

Wow...I'm just the opposite. The longer and healthier my hair gets, the easier it is to manage and style. My problem was trying to keep short hair looking good. Now that was a major pain for me.

I had the same problem with shorter hair- when it was shorter I HAD to straighten it all the time to avoid the curly triangle head look, straightening made it dry, because it was dry it didn't look right, on and on. Now it's longer and healthier and takes no time-it's easier to detangle, it lays better, it's thicker, and it looks better. But then again I almost never straighten, so I don't have the same takes-forever-to-do-my-hair-problem.

What I can say is that hair grows slowly so you can take one day at a time. If you grow it to a length that because to tedious or unmanagable for you than you can always cut it back to a length that does work for you. It's not about having the longest hair possible- it's about having the healthiest hair possible at a length that works for your lifestyle. Your hair is beautiful by the way.

Last edited:

I would agree. That's the problem I'm having now. I really just have no idea what to do with it right now. It's at a weird in between stage. I do imagine that it will become harder to deal with as it gets longer. I plan on keeping it at APL once it gets there.

I'm in the short hair = more work group too. Washing and drying are more time consuming but day-to-day styling is so much easier and faster. For one thing, long hair is less precise so it's not such a big deal if one lock is out of place, the curls aren't identical all over, or even if it's not styled at all.

Your hair looks great, BTW, but as everyone says, stick with the length that suits you and makes you happy. Good luck!

:grin:Thanks guys! Its just that I feel like this is a inbetween type of stage...to me its still short where I have to straighten it, but its long where to straighten it's a bit much....maybe if I get to BSL I won't have to keep it str8 all the time??? We'll see....for now I'm not going to cut it. Thanks for all your input and encouragement! :grin:

Back