All Long Hair

My younger cousin had a friend who hair was always shoulder length and never went passed that point, but left to attend Spelman College and came back her 2nd year and her was waist length....I asked what did she do to get her to grow and her response was nothing special just kept it braided b/c she didn't have time with being a full time student....

I know Mane and Tail was very popular in Atlanta. Now she kept it braided? I know if I used synthetic hair my hair felt WEAKER than when I began w/ the braids. Perhaps from the treated artificial hair. My ends always ended up feeling dry when I wore braids like that.

it could be a southern thing... but haha, at my high school, lots and lots of broken off heads... the fake glossy ponytail with the real hair looking dry and crusty white with gel. A couple of girls have longer hair and that's about it. But here in Miami, so many girls are mixed, it's not always the full black thing, so the extremely long-haired ones usually have an advantage.

I think long hair is a New York thing too. A friend of mine had the same length of hair that i did, and a few months later, bam, her hair must have been at, or almost at brastrap, so i was DEFINITELY conviced i could grow my hair longer, which led me to search the web, which led me to LHCF. Now that was in March, her hair must be almost waistlength now, especially since she's preggers.

CurleeDST said:
With that how do they get your hair tips so frizz free? I know when I attempt to blow out my own hair my ends are ALWAYS frizzy but DOMS can get those ends SLICK as I do not know what and very impervious to moisture in the air from precipitation.

Hey CurleeDST! When I blow dry my hair my ends always end up frizzy too. I can only rock a straight look if I roller-set first, I think this smoothes the ends, and flat-iron afterwards.

Ah yes, got it. Thanks

kombov_dymond said:
They wash, condition and rollerset your hair on magnetic rollers, then put you under the dryer to set your curls. When your hair is dry, they blow your roots (new growth) straight. The rollers make your ends straight.

Ok now this is something I can try:

What type of rollers do you use to set with?

What type of seting lotion do you use?

How wet is the hair when you roller set?

How long do you sit under the dryer?

When you remove the rollers do you just use the flat iron on the roots only or also blow dryer.

How dry do you let your hair get?

How long does it last? 1 week? 2 weeks or longer?

You ladies are so helpful thank you so much!!!

Carefree said:
Hey CurleeDST! When I blow dry my hair my ends always end up frizzy too. I can only rock a straight look if I roller-set first, I think this smoothes the ends, and flat-iron afterwards.

that's so funny, as a famu alum & a native ATLien, it is true that many of us do have natural hair. mine is just above BSL and I do press it. But don't get it twisted pls believe it that a lot of that hair you saw was weeve! B/c I was @ Shout on Friday nite too! However there are a many salons that specialize in natural hair here so that makes it easy to take care of. On the other hand there are also a ton of places that do some great weaves I know I had been wearing on for years (b/f my famu days). That's what help me have a good length of natural hair to wear b/c I never put any perm in my hair so when I decided to wear my own hair I didn't have to go through the BIG CHOP!

Anyway Good Luck and Go FAMU
Orange & Green

I grew up in Mississippi and wore a press-n-curl with no problem. I didn't get a perm until I was 17 and had moved to Kansas (because I couldn't find anyone that did press-n-curls much less black hair).

We southern ladies have hair like that because of MOISTURE! The air is full of it (humidity) and typically the water is soft. This helps TREMENDOUSLY! My hair care regime was very basic - Suave shampoo/conditioner and hair grease (that was IT!). Even when I lived in Kentucky a few years ago, my hair thrived.

Where I live now, the air is DRY and the water is HARD!!!!! Believe me, my hair is 10 times different now that I do not live in the south. I have a cabinet full of hair products. :(

I would love to move back to MS just for soft hair and skin again.

Last edited:
Wanderland said:
AUC student here!!! Personally I have mid-armpit length hair, and here at Spelman that is pretty short there are NUMEROUS girls with BS and further here. I think its a combination of the southern thing and also a social class thing. You guys should keep in mind that most AUC students come from a middle class background and growing up could afford to go to the salon, weren't allowed if at all to get perms until they were a certain age, and dyed fried and laid to the side is more of a lower class thing (ladies my analysis of class and the aesthetics and trends of them is not coming from a snobbish place, it is of particular interest to me and i've taken numerous classes on it).

I agree with Wanderland. However, there is something that I must also add. I have family from ATL, also with longer length hair. My sister lived there for three years, and her hair grew like crazy (it was always long, but grew even longer-- BSL to almost waist length). The truth is, Atlanta weather is heaven to our naturally dry hair. There is a perfect mix of warm weather and humidity, and that adds to allowing our hair to grow.

Those of you in the northeast (i.e. New York/New England) have humid weather, but you also have cold winters, which are dry. Winter weather is bad for our hair types (2's, 3's and 4's) not only because we have to deal with cold weather, snow, rain, sleet, hail, etc.-- but also because we go from heated houses to freezing cold weather. All of those factors lead to BREAKAGE!!!

I have friends who attended Spelman, and many were natural, but others relaxed. Both sets had longer hair, so I have to believe it's the pleasant weather mixed with good hair salons you can find in ATL. Just my two cents.

cocoberry10 said:
I agree with Wanderland. However, there is something that I must also add. I have family from ATL, also with longer length hair. My sister lived there for three years, and her hair grew like crazy (it was always long, but grew even longer-- BSL to almost waist length). The truth is, Atlanta weather is heaven to our naturally dry hair. There is a perfect mix of warm weather and humidity, and that adds to allowing our hair to grow.

Those of you in the northeast (i.e. New York/New England) have humid weather, but you also have cold winters, which are dry. Winter weather is bad for our hair types (2's, 3's and 4's) not only because we have to deal with cold weather, snow, rain, sleet, hail, etc.-- but also because we go from heated houses to freezing cold weather. All of those factors lead to BREAKAGE!!!

I have friends who attended Spelman, and many were natural, but others relaxed. Both sets had longer hair, so I have to believe it's the pleasant weather mixed with good hair salons you can find in ATL. Just my two cents.
Makes alot of sense to me, I live in cold wheather now so I bought a steamer so I could get some humidity/moisture in my hair.

Wanderland said:
AUC student here!!! Personally I have mid-armpit length hair, and here at Spelman that is pretty short there are NUMEROUS girls with BS and further here. I think its a combination of the southern thing and also a social class thing. You guys should keep in mind that most AUC students come from a middle class background and growing up could afford to go to the salon, weren't allowed if at all to get perms until they were a certain age, and dyed fried and laid to the side is more of a lower class thing (ladies my analysis of class and the aesthetics and trends of them is not coming from a snobbish place, it is of particular interest to me and i've taken numerous classes on it).

Spelman grad, here. I agree with what you've said!

What type of rollers do you use to set with? -->I use magnetic ones. Some people use mesh rollers. You will also need metal clips to hold your rollers in place. I use duckbills, but I'm going to get the 2-prong ones. Your rollerset will probably not be the best when you first start out, but it gets easier with practice.

What type of seting lotion do you use? -->I prefer Lottabody liquid concentrate. You mix it with water in a spray bottle.

How wet is the hair when you roller set? -->It's towel dried just to the point where it's not dripping wet.

How long do you sit under the dryer? -->I've never used a dryer to set with. I always airdry. I keep my rollers in for a day with my silk scarf. I don't mind leaving the house like that at all.

When you remove the rollers do you just use the flat iron on the roots only or also blow dryer. -->I couldn't get it work out too well with the flat iron. The plates were too wide on mine. I got better results with a round boar brush and a handheld blowdryer. It's best to use a dryer with a concentrator nozzle to focus the heat on your roots only.

How dry do you let your hair get? -->Your hair has to dry completely before you remove the rollers. Your hair will be a frizzy mess if you try to do anything to even damp hair.

How long does it last? 1 week? 2 weeks or longer? -->My Rsets last about 3 days. (I HAVE to wash it) I also sleep rough and I don't wrap it at all at night. I have found out that if I pin my hair up on the top of my head with some duck bill clips and put on my satin bonnet that my curls last alot longer than they used to. Some people do 'pincurls' every night to keep their curls. Some also use Hype Hair satin rollers to keep their curl.~HTH

What type of rollers do you use to set with? --> I use primarily the purple magnetic ones with the 2-prong clips

What type of seting lotion do you use? -->Depends on the style I am trying to achieve. Primarily since my hair holds a curl forever, I just use some Elucence MB conditioner mixed with bottled water. But if I want it to be more curly, then I will use either Vitale wrapping lotion or diluted Lottabody concentrate.
How wet is the hair when you roller set? -->It's towel dried just to the point where it's not dripping wet.

How long do you sit under the dryer? -->I sit under the dryer about an hour to an hour and 15 mintues typically. But sometimes I get up a lot so then it will take longer.

When you remove the rollers do you just use the flat iron on the roots only or also blow dryer. --> For the most part, I don't flat iron or blowdry at all. I just take the rollers out, wrap and put a little oil on the hair and sit back under the dryer for about 10 mintues. Comb back down, mosturize, and rewrap or either comb down.

This is fine until I get about 5 weeks post relaxer ( I usually try and get other styles like spiral rods and twists sets from here on out), and this is the part I haven't perfected yet. I will be attempting to blow out the roots with a round brush, after taking the rollers out.

How dry do you let your hair get? -->Your hair has to dry completely before you remove the rollers. Your hair will be a frizzy mess if you try to do anything to even damp hair.

How long does it last? 1 week? 2 weeks or longer? --> My hair holds a curl so it will can last from 1-2 weeks, where in the first week my hair would be curled and the second week it would be straight down. B/c of this sometimes a sista gets a little lazy, but I try to keep up and wash it out every week. I do wrap my hair every night with a satin scarf.

Hey Lady - when were you at Shout on Friday? I got there ohhhh around 7:30 pm or so before it got really really crowded and they were charging $10 upstairs!!

The young lady I stayed w/ had a weave and is natural underneath and her weave looked great. I was wondering, for those who press, do you press at the salon or at home? Do you use a hot comb when you press?

bbmatl said:
that's so funny, as a famu alum & a native ATLien, it is true that many of us do have natural hair. mine is just above BSL and I do press it. But don't get it twisted pls believe it that a lot of that hair you saw was weeve! B/c I was @ Shout on Friday nite too! However there are a many salons that specialize in natural hair here so that makes it easy to take care of. On the other hand there are also a ton of places that do some great weaves I know I had been wearing on for years (b/f my famu days). That's what help me have a good length of natural hair to wear b/c I never put any perm in my hair so when I decided to wear my own hair I didn't have to go through the BIG CHOP!

Anyway Good Luck and Go FAMU
Orange & Green

Thank you so much. Ok I didn't realize you were relaxed. That definitely helps. I am relaxer free and have those pesky frizzy ends when I attempt to straighten so I definitely have to figure this one out.

Sweet C said:

What type of rollers do you use to set with? --> I use primarily the purple magnetic ones with the 2-prong clips

What type of seting lotion do you use? -->Depends on the style I am trying to achieve. Primarily since my hair holds a curl forever, I just use some Elucence MB conditioner mixed with bottled water. But if I want it to be more curly, then I will use either Vitale wrapping lotion or diluted Lottabody concentrate.

How long do you sit under the dryer? -->I sit under the dryer about an hour to an hour and 15 mintues typically. But sometimes I get up a lot so then it will take longer.

When you remove the rollers do you just use the flat iron on the roots only or also blow dryer. --> For the most part, I don't flat iron or blowdry at all. I just take the rollers out, wrap and put a little oil on the hair and sit back under the dryer for about 10 mintues. Comb back down, mosturize, and rewrap or either comb down.

This is fine until I get about 5 weeks post relaxer ( I usually try and get other styles like spiral rods and twists sets from here on out), and this is the part I haven't perfected yet. I will be attempting to blow out the roots with a round brush, after taking the rollers out.

How long does it last? 1 week? 2 weeks or longer? --> My hair holds a curl so it will can last from 1-2 weeks, where in the first week my hair would be curled and the second week it would be straight down. B/c of this sometimes a sista gets a little lazy, but I try to keep up and wash it out every week. I do wrap my hair every night with a satin scarf.

Awesome thanks~

kombov_dymond said:

What type of rollers do you use to set with? -->I use magnetic ones. Some people use mesh rollers. You will also need metal clips to hold your rollers in place. I use duckbills, but I'm going to get the 2-prong ones. Your rollerset will probably not be the best when you first start out, but it gets easier with practice.

What type of seting lotion do you use? -->I prefer Lottabody liquid concentrate. You mix it with water in a spray bottle.

How long do you sit under the dryer? -->I've never used a dryer to set with. I always airdry. I keep my rollers in for a day with my silk scarf. I don't mind leaving the house like that at all.

When you remove the rollers do you just use the flat iron on the roots only or also blow dryer. -->I couldn't get it work out too well with the flat iron. The plates were too wide on mine. I got better results with a round boar brush and a handheld blowdryer. It's best to use a dryer with a concentrator nozzle to focus the heat on your roots only.

How long does it last? 1 week? 2 weeks or longer? -->My Rsets last about 3 days. (I HAVE to wash it) I also sleep rough and I don't wrap it at all at night. I have found out that if I pin my hair up on the top of my head with some duck bill clips and put on my satin bonnet that my curls last alot longer than they used to. Some people do 'pincurls' every night to keep their curls. Some also use Hype Hair satin rollers to keep their curl.~HTH

Yeah, it's always crowded like that. I didn't get there until about 10:30 & went straight upstairs! If someone you know has a cabana you don't have to pay. I've been going to that spot since march. If you can imagine, the crowd actually has gotten smaller since Vision re(re)-opened.

Both the girls I was @ Shout w/ have extremly long hair (mid-back) one is natural and the other perms her own hair. As for me, I have to get mine professionally done. It is was too much work and my hand/arm/neck/back/shoulders start hurting when I attempt to press it myself.

The salon I go to blow dries then she uses the ceremic flat irons. They are very quick. I am in & out in about 1hr & 30min - that's on a Friday afternoon. they never double book and the price is good. Plus I work out HARD 6x a week and it Last! :) My edges might get a little fuzzy but I just make sure to put my scarf on when I workout and take it off as soon as I finish.

CurleeDST said:
Hey Lady - when were you at Shout on Friday? I got there ohhhh around 7:30 pm or so before it got really really crowded and they were charging $10 upstairs!!

The young lady I stayed w/ had a weave and is natural underneath and her weave looked great. I was wondering, for those who press, do you press at the salon or at home? Do you use a hot comb when you press?

Aha! We did not know anyone with a cabana but we commandeered one RIGHT at the door moving into the bar area and we chilled there for a long time before we left. It was all good! Now for your friend w/ natural hair - how does she wear it and does it emphasize the length? Is your hair all natural and you just get it pressed?

The funny thing that night, I was admiring the ladies with long hair and several ladies approached me about my natural hair because I had it twisted out and big with blondish highlights. I guess everyone wants what they do not have. LOL

you are rt. you always want what you don't have. B/c when my hair is straight I see somebody w/curly hair and want to wear it mine like that. vice-versa. As far as my friend she has such beautiful hair but dosn't do anything really w/it. She tells me she got her hair done & i'm like you did? But I have to always remember she is a little more conservative than me. She just gets it flat ironed and bumped. She dosnt have layers bangs or anything (all one length)

My hair is completly natural and I get it pressed(flat ironed). Your hair begins to get use to the pressing (i dont know if thats good or bad) my hair rarely gets fuzzy the roots stay pretty Straight. Last wkend was the ultimate test I got it done friday - went out friday nite, went to the game sat back out sat night and have taken my hr long kickboxing class each day this wk and my hair still is Straight! I don;t put any heat on it after I get it done. I might if Im going out put large curls in it just to give it volume or to look like I care! But besides that Im rockin the ponytail!

Hey nah! I heard that. Now that is what I am talkingi about. Now if you wear it natural does it kink/curl up like you like? I came in town on FRiday and let me say the air was SO WET and humid! GOOD LAWD~! I am like thank GOD I am natural b/c it won't matter with that humidity.

But I am glad to hear it sooooooooo perhaps I will try that for me and just straighten and chill during the winter months b/c I work out and run daily and sweat in my scalp.

bbmatl said:
you are rt. you always want what you don't have. B/c when my hair is straight I see somebody w/curly hair and want to wear it mine like that. vice-versa. As far as my friend she has such beautiful hair but dosn't do anything really w/it. She tells me she got her hair done & i'm like you did? But I have to always remember she is a little more conservative than me. She just gets it flat ironed and bumped. She dosnt have layers bangs or anything (all one length)

My hair is completly natural and I get it pressed(flat ironed). Your hair begins to get use to the pressing (i dont know if thats good or bad) my hair rarely gets fuzzy the roots stay pretty Straight. Last wkend was the ultimate test I got it done friday - went out friday nite, went to the game sat back out sat night and have taken my hr long kickboxing class each day this wk and my hair still is Straight! I don;t put any heat on it after I get it done. I might if Im going out put large curls in it just to give it volume or to look like I care! But besides that Im rockin the ponytail!

Funny, I never saw this long hair bit as a regional and/or class thing. Coming from up north, I was always surrounded by women with gorgeous, healthy, long hair, from all types of economic backgrounds. And they were both relaxed & natural. Truly, the first time I started seeing really jacked up hair was in college when a lot of women didn't really have the time to devote to hair care, started doing each other's hair, or were away from their home and hair care professionals. In addition, most women ARE able to afford salons up north, which I find to be much cheaper (esp. if you are relaxed). Also, with regard to the weather, my hair personally does horribly down south with all this humidity all year. The types of styles I'm used to never last, and it's kind of frustrating.

Point being, just had to rep for the ladies up North with long healthy hair :grin: . Long black hair could hardly be a phenomenon that has appeared predominantly among black southern women--what about the black women who are not from the states with gorgeous healthy hair??? Certainly not a regional occurence from my standpoint. Seems to be about healthy approaches to hair care, but thats jus my opinion.

I know for me I am not stating black women do not have long hair because I know that isn't true. What surprised me was the larger number of women I noticed with BSL hair or LONGER in Atlanta, GA from the last time I was there when the trend then was to have a Halle Berry short cut or asymmetrical which was also very popular in Atlanta at the time.

I know of many women from NJ and NY who have always kept their hair long til this day. My mom's very kinky Z hair would grow to BSL if she didn't cut it as much as she does because her hair grows like weeds! 6 months it went from shaved in the back to hitting the top of her back (way more than the expected 3 inches worth of growth - more like 6 to 8 inches).

Bananas!

OneInAMillion said:
Funny, I never saw this long hair bit as a regional and/or class thing. Coming from up north, I was always surrounded by women with gorgeous, healthy, long hair, from all types of economic backgrounds. And they were both relaxed & natural. Truly, the first time I started seeing really jacked up hair was in college when a lot of women didn't really have the time to devote to hair care, started doing each other's hair, or were away from their home and hair care professionals. In addition, most women ARE able to afford salons up north, which I find to be much cheaper (esp. if you are relaxed). Also, with regard to the weather, my hair personally does horribly down south with all this humidity all year. The types of styles I'm used to never last, and it's kind of frustrating.

Point being, just had to rep for the ladies up North with long healthy hair :grin: . Long black hair could hardly be a phenomenon that has appeared predominantly among black southern women--what about the black women who are not from the states with gorgeous healthy hair??? Certainly not a regional occurence from my standpoint. Seems to be about healthy approaches to hair care, but thats jus my opinion.

Last edited:
bbmatl said:
My hair is completly natural and I get it pressed(flat ironed). Your hair begins to get use to the pressing (i dont know if thats good or bad) my hair rarely gets fuzzy the roots stay pretty Straight...
When I read this it made me remember about when my mother used to press my hair and they use to always talk about how your hair would get "trained". I don't know if that was a southern thing or not but my hair must have been seriously rebellious! I have one picture image for you. Remember The Color Purple when Celie was combing that girl's hair, the girl was crying, Celie said something to Mr. and Mr. slapped her.... I was just that little girl :lol: !

Last edited:
yeah it definitly curls back when it's wet, but i'm going to try to use some of the products discussed on this forum to loosen up the curl pattern. its so funny when people talk about humidity, i'm like what are u talking about, I was born and raised in ATL and like you went to school in TALLY so I really don't know what its like to be in an enviornment w/no humidity! I would love to be able to switch it up from the naturally curly look to the stright look but my hair draws up so much i don't think it will look good curly/kinky until I get more length. i'm hoping by my b-day, which is march,to have a real nice length to work with. although I had been wearing weave since the 8th grade until this past Aug, if I didn't have a weave i was wearing braids. i am really enjoying my natural hair! I have more options and i am just more confident with my wearing my own. I really am enjoying it.

CurleeDST said:
Hey nah! I heard that. Now that is what I am talkingi about. Now if you wear it natural does it kink/curl up like you like? I came in town on FRiday and let me say the air was SO WET and humid! GOOD LAWD~! I am like thank GOD I am natural b/c it won't matter with that humidity.

But I am glad to hear it sooooooooo perhaps I will try that for me and just straighten and chill during the winter months b/c I work out and run daily and sweat in my scalp.

I believe hair needs to be trained and can be trained to lay a particular way if coaxed that way over and over. I experienced this as a little girl and see it with my daughter's hair and how I part it.

So it makes sense to me that hair can be coaxed into laying straight if continously straightened over time.

Back