Does your hair look incredibly thin and lifeless after a relaxer touch-up

I used to have the same issue, but since I used Phytospecific and stopped leaving the relaxer on the maximum time, I don't get the limp hair. I still relax straight but I found I don't need as much processing time as I used to need. I also do the mid-relaxer protein, so that could be a contributing factor as well.

I would think that fine hair wouldn't need to let the relaxer sit on the hair for the maximum time. We already have fewer cuticle layers than other hair types, so all that processing may be overkill.

Fine Haired Ladies,

Pick up some Duo-Tex Protein Reconstructor next time you go to Sally's. Use it after you rinse out your perm and before you neutralize. I used it after I took my braids out after a 5 month stretch and my hair came out surprisingly full and bouncy! Usually after a perm its so thin and lifeless. You can also use it weekly before you deep condition. Its a light-weight protein. Its cheap too! 32 oz will run you about $6. Put it in a spray bottle and you are good to go! Its so worth it.

Fine Haired Ladies,

Pick up some Duo-Tex Protein Reconstructor next time you go to Sally's. Use it after you rinse out your perm and before you neutralize. I used it after I took my braids out after a 5 month stretch and my hair came out surprisingly full and bouncy! Usually after a perm its so thin and lifeless. You can also use it weekly before you deep condition. Its a light-weight protein. Its cheap too! 32 oz will run you about $6. Put it in a spray bottle and you are good to go! Its so worth it.

:look: An old boyfriend used to use Duo-Tex for his rollersets. :yep:
(This was in the 70s and he was a member of a Earth, Wind & Fire-type band)

There, there SP :hug2:
Yes, fresh relaxers always make my hair this way, that's why I always re-condition my hair the next day or several days later. It's the nature of being fine/thin headed. :look:

I do this also. After a fresh relaxer at the salon, the next day I re-wash, condition & style my hair. I've done this for years and it really lessens the look of 'fine, thin' hair

Only when I went to the salon for a touch-up. :nono:

For some reason "Give me a relaxer" translates to "plaster my hair as flat to my scalp as possible"

I used to have that happen after touch-ups and it was because my hair dresser was trying to get my hair bone straight. I switched beauticians (cuz he wouldn't listen to me, when I told him he was getting it too straight and my hair was breaking off) and she smooths it twice and washes it out. So it's texlaxed now and she understands that even though my hair is slightly resistant, it is has fine strands and can't handle being bone-straight.

HTH

I have thin relaxed hair as well. I attributed it to wearing a sew in as a protective style over and over again. I am thinking about using indian oils to help my situation.

Serenity Peace, My hair used to do that and I thought that it was normal until I stitched relaxers. I always used no-lye box relaer kits and then I switched to Mizani Butter blends lye relaxer and my hair as still thick afterwards and my new growth even was wavy when I washed my hair. I never had that experience before. I love it....

That's exactly what I used: Mizani Butter Blends Lye for Fine and Color Treated. I think my mistake was leaving the relaxer on too long. I bought the entire Mizani BB relaxer kit and have used it 4 times now. I ran out this time and will purchase again. I will probably texlax in 4 months rather than relax every 20 or 24 weeks.:yep:

:look: An old boyfriend used to use Duo-Tex for his rollersets. :yep:
(This was in the 70s and he was a member of a Earth, Wind & Fire-type band)

I have Duo Tex sitting at the bottom of my sink. I used it once for my rollersets and it made my hair too hard. Did I do something wrong? I need to add water to it?

That's exactly what I used: Mizani Butter Blends Lye for Fine and Color Treated. I think my mistake was leaving the relaxer on too long. I bought the entire Mizani BB relaxer kit and have used it 4 times now. I ran out this time and will purchase again. I will probably texlax in 4 months rather than relax every 20 or 24 weeks.:yep:

This is the relaxer that I use too....but I added some oils, protein and a little conditioner so I can buy a little time (cuz I am still trying to get the hang of this self relaxing thing) but I have not came out bone straight (d*** near) since going to the salon.

Hugs SP!

Do you do the mid step protein on relaxer day? I have found that to be very helpful in adding some structure/thickness back to the hair. I have to say that since I have started self relaxing, I no longer have this problem- but when I used to go to the salon it would be plastered to my head.

You have gotten GREAT advice in this thread the number one thing us fine/thin haired girls can do is texlax. I don't have to add oils or anything to texlax because my hair breaks down very slowly. If yours doesn't I would suggest adding 2 tablespoons of your favorite oil to your relaxer to give you some more processing time. HTH. We got your back girl- sometimes it seems as if us fine heads are alone here but we are not.

:perplexed My hair does the exact same thing and I hate it! I believe it's the protein treatment that makes mine look thinner, dryer and rather course after retouch. Then I can't wait until I shampoo my hair to make it look fuller. I am new to stretching and LHCF but I have nothing to loose. I've always had long, thin see through hair. What's your hair type? I think mine is a 3c/4a thin and usually grows to MBL and then gets even thinner. After my retouch March 27th, my stylist underprocessed my NG unintentionally and it does look thicker!!! But I like bone straight hair because of its silky shine....Hmmm I dunno.... :perplexed

Last edited:
I have thin relaxed hair as well. I attributed it to wearing a sew in as a protective style over and over again. I am thinking about using indian oils to help my situation.

This HAD to be what happened to me...My hair is sooo thin :wallbash:

I started wearing weave exclusively back in 2006, I believe. First it was glue in, so I KNOW that I yanked out all my hair during this time, then I went to microbraids and I ripped my hair out because the that lady put them in made them sooo small and i could not tell the difference between my hair and the braid- BIG MISTAKE, so then I did sew-ins on a 9 month stretch and when I relaxed, last april 2008...I had bra-strap length, incredibly, thin and lifeless, see thru, maybe 25 strands of hair ( ok im exagerrating ), but it was soooo UGLY!!! :perplexed

I got it trimmed to a little past my shoulder and immediately, put the sew in back in, it still has not thickened up...:sad:

So when I discovered LHCF, I relaxed, -STILL THIN AND LIFELESS- and I started wearing buns, I am on a long road to recovery so I completely understand where you are coming from.

And even a roller set looks disasterous!!!!:nono:

Hugs SP!

Do you do the mid step protein on relaxer day? I have found that to be very helpful in adding some structure/thickness back to the hair. I have to say that since I have started self relaxing, I no longer have this problem- but when I used to go to the salon it would be plastered to my head.

You have gotten GREAT advice in this thread the number one thing us fine/thin haired girls can do is texlax. I don't have to add oils or anything to texlax because my hair breaks down very slowly. If yours doesn't I would suggest adding 2 tablespoons of your favorite oil to your relaxer to give you some more processing time. HTH. We got your back girl- sometimes it seems as if us fine heads are alone here but we are not.

Hi, SS! :hiya:

Thank you so much, sweetheart!! :kiss::kiss:

I made two mistakes this past relaxer: (1) I left the relaxer on too long, trying to smooth and make sure it was processed; and (2) I didn't do the mid-step as I usually do, mainly because I freaked out when I realized that the relaxer had been on too long. I just wanted to get the relaxer out and I was having problems rinsing the relaxer out because it became mushy. I apparently had too much build up from applying the pre-treatment on the ends and scalp. I usually do the mid-step, though. :yep:

I will start texlaxing as well. To give me more processing time, I'll add oils to the relaxer so has to process evenly.

Thank you so much for having my back, sweetheart. There is some good news to report. I have gotten rave reviews for my growth and color (I painted it black :)). So what I will do is protein this weekend and do a flexirod set so I can get a fuller look.

I have the Duo Tex but I'm not sure how to use it.

:perplexed My hair does the exact same thing and I hate it! I believe it's the protein treatment that makes mine look thinner, dryer and rather course after retouch. Then I can't wait until I shampoo my hair to make it look fuller. I am new to stretching and LHCF but I have nothing to loose. I've always had long, thin see through hair. What's your hair type? I think mine is a 3c/4a thin and usually grows to MBL and then gets even thinner. After my retouch March 27th, my stylist underprocessed my NG unintentionally and it does look thicker!!! But I like bone straight hair because of its silky shine....Hmmm I dunno.... :perplexed

Even when I was natural, my hair is fine. We have the very same hair type. Henna has made my hair a little thicker, as have Ovation Cell Therapy and Mega-Tek. I must remember, however, to stay on top of things. I have been slacking big time, except for the Henna.

I will protein this coming weekend, though.

Yes, we fine-haired beauties must stick together. Growing hair has never been a problem for me, either. It's retention of these very fine, silk-like tresses that is the challenge. Still my hair has never been longer but keeping the finess/thinness under control is the issue.

This HAD to be what happened to me...My hair is sooo thin :wallbash:

I started wearing weave exclusively back in 2006, I believe. First it was glue in, so I KNOW that I yanked out all my hair during this time, then I went to microbraids and I ripped my hair out because the that lady put them in made them sooo small and i could not tell the difference between my hair and the braid- BIG MISTAKE, so then I did sew-ins on a 9 month stretch and when I relaxed, last april 2008...I had bra-strap length, incredibly, thin and lifeless, see thru, maybe 25 strands of hair ( ok im exagerrating ), but it was soooo UGLY!!! :perplexed

I'm so sorry!! :bighug::kiss:

I wore braids for a couple of years while I was in grad school to reduce the amount of time spent on my hair. BIG MISTAKE. Braids, weaves don't work for fine-haired ladies. It took me years to grow my edges back. I am somewhat jelly because I hear how much weaves and braids help to grow hair and stretch relaxers, but I cannot do these things because the weight of the hair is too much for my fine hair. And when I did wear braids and tried to take them down, I battled with dreaded hair, knotted hair. I never wore braids for more than 8 weeks at a time, and even then I had issues with breakage, dreads, etc. I went natural after that for a time.

No more braids and weaves for me. :nono:

I truly feel your pain. :imsorry:

I know just how you feel. This is the reason why I started texlaxing. I found that Affirm Fibreguard mild works very well. It does not get the hair too straight so even after a fresh relaxer you don't have that "palm slapping the head as if it were bald feeling". I would come home and wash my hair just to get some life in it before. Now at least I can enjoy it until the next washday, which is usually just 4 days away.

Consider using only Mild relaxers.

I have this problem too, that's why I am trying out a new stylist this week. I don't like how my hair is relaxed or how it is styled. It's shiny and swingy but too much oil/product is used and there is not enough volume. My sister's hair is completely opposite, even when relaxed fully and soaking wet, it is still super thick and wavy. I can only dream.

I've worn my hair shortish for years, decades lol. Chin-length bob. Now that I'm finally growing it out and not cutting, I find that it seems "thinner." It's not really thinner, it's longer. When you have layers cut into your hair, they often stick up and out, giving the appearance of fuller hair. When growing into long strands, seems like everything is limper. It's heavier and weighted down. That might be something to consider as well.

After my last touchup two weeks ago, my hair was thin and lifeless, with the scalp clearly visible. It was my fault, though. Didn't pay attention to which strength I picked up (used Silk Elements). Thought I picked up mild, instead got regular. Got bone straight in under 8 mins...sigh. In an effort to build up the hair, I've added egg to all of my DCs, even the protein DCs followed by moisture DC. Hair feels thicker, can't see scalp as much, and there is a small amount of new growth coming in. Excited for more new growth so I can wear my hair out without feeling bald-headed.

What:perplexed, you can do rollersets with Duo Tek? Wouldn't that cause hard hair even when mixed with water? If not, how so?

Mind you, I never used it on my hair, but the guys did and their hair always looked good. I don't know the effects of prolonged usage.

I am scared of ya'll - I ain't going to be able to do it....now maybe if I had some thick hair but my little fine strands won't be able to take it :shocked:

Now SP- since you have all this plethora of information - now it is time to reflect while listening to "The Elements" and letting Maurice ask you "Would you mind if I touch, etc.... (sooooo off-topic but I could not help myself)....:lachen::lachen:

Back