Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

what colors were you experimenting with? I guess it's all good as long as you didn't have any damage.

did you do highlights? if so which brand of color did you use, i'd like to do highlights but i'm just afraid of the highlighted area falling out.

Hey ladies... I desperately need ur help! I really want to join this challenge, but I've had it with learning how to effectively rollerset my hair! I've got the mohawk down, which lead me to believe that i would be able to get the "sides" down, but I definitely haven't. How did u ladies learn how to tackle the sides of ur hair when rollersetting? All the rollers just seem to get in each others way. I'll have a few in tight, but getting a roller on a specific piece of hair will cause me to have to "bump" one already set and then that one because super loose or falls out... its a never ending cycle. I've tried many of the cheat sets on the forum, but none of them have worked for me at all! What is the easiest way to set the rollers, without taking at least 5 hours to finish up?

I just wanted to share the results of my rollerset I think this is the best I ever done it!!!

DSC00388.jpg
DSC00390.jpg
DSC00395.jpg
DSC00398.jpg
DSC00399.jpg

DSC00403-1.jpg

very nice! and from here it's only going to get better and sooooo much easier!

doesn't it feel soooo good to do a perfect rollerset?

It just feels like such an accomplishment.

I use to hate the saran wrap thing, but now i love it.

I just wanted to share the results of my rollerset I think this is the best I ever done it!!!

DSC00388.jpg
DSC00390.jpg
DSC00395.jpg
DSC00398.jpg
DSC00399.jpg

DSC00403-1.jpg

Hey ladies... I desperately need ur help! I really want to join this challenge, but I've had it with learning how to effectively rollerset my hair! I've got the mohawk down, which lead me to believe that i would be able to get the "sides" down, but I definitely haven't. How did u ladies learn how to tackle the sides of ur hair when rollersetting? All the rollers just seem to get in each others way. I'll have a few in tight, but getting a roller on a specific piece of hair will cause me to have to "bump" one already set and then that one because super loose or falls out... its a never ending cycle. I've tried many of the cheat sets on the forum, but none of them have worked for me at all! What is the easiest way to set the rollers, without taking at least 5 hours to finish up?

I'm having the same problem! my sides are a mess!!

I am having issues with my sides staying also. I tried wet wrapping but it was a disaster my hair got so tangled. I have not wet wrapped my hair since January I did not know it would be this hard with SL texlaxed hair. I think today I will try to see if I can do a spiral set with snap ons since I just got around to buying some.

I am in!!! I did a fantastic rollerset Friday my best ever. I could never get smooth set until I rolled up instead of down. I love the results. I am in!!

1. What rollers will you be using? Magnetic - Red and Purple
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.) Lacio-Lacio, Chi Silk, Lottabody Water Mixed3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Both
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?No
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Both
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc) Fine tooth comb, wide tooth comb

I will never wet wrap again, it came out alright, but getting the hair smooth was a mess and it took forever to dry :(

I've had wet wraps done professionally and they did it so easy, guess i'll leave it to someone else to do for me.

I feel your pain.

I want to try flexirods i've seen so many nice flexi sets on youtube.

I am having issues with my sides staying also. I tried wet wrapping but it was a disaster my hair got so tangled. I have not wet wrapped my hair since January I did not know it would be this hard with SL texlaxed hair. I think today I will try to see if I can do a spiral set with snap ons since I just got around to buying some.

Hi Ladies!

I'm in. This is the first challenge that I've ever joined!

1. What rollers will you be using? Curlformers
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.) I will be using Herbal Essence Hello Hydration as a leave in and EVOO and Vatika oil once the curls are dry. I'm trying to keep it simple!
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Both length and health. I'm growing out from a big chop in Feb '09. I refuse to cut my hair until Feb '10 at the earliest.
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? I will not use a blow dryer on my roots. I might pull my hair back into a ponytail to tame the roots.
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Airdrying
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc). Denman brush for detangling while wet, paddle brush for brushing after the curls are dry.

I wanna get in

Rollersets on wet hair after a wash, airdried hair. I figure since this is a more lenient challenge we will all be more loyal to it instead of the jail style challenges that are strict lmao!

1. What rollers will you be using?
-Grey magnetic rollers
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
-dominican leave-in and serum
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)?
-all the above
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?
-yes blow dry & flat iron
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer?
-new hooded dryer (Pibbs look-alike)
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc)
-fine tooth, denman brush,

Can I join? I did the last one which was good. :) I've consistently been rolling my hair for about 9 months now and my hair has really benefited I feel.

Magnetic, purple and red (sometimes smaller if I want tight curls)

2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
Rusk Smoother leave in, touch of Argan oil on the ends.

Definitely both.

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?
I don't own a blow dryer so no.

Hooded dryer

Wide tooth comb and rat tail comb. I just did it tonight and no hairs were on the comb.

lmao! at the jail style challenges, that was my plan to make it simple for us. that's why this is my first challenge the other challenges scared me with the rules! no offense to them though but I don't want to be at home cheating on a challenge :lachen:

Welcome!:yep:

I wanna get in

Rollersets on wet hair after a wash, airdried hair. I figure since this is a more lenient challenge we will all be more loyal to it instead of the jail style challenges that are strict lmao!

-Grey magnetic rollers
-dominican leave-in and serum
-all the above
-yes blow dry & flat iron
-new hooded dryer (Pibbs look-alike)
-fine tooth, denman brush,

of course this challenge is for everyone.

9 months wow that's dedication, have you noticed alot of growth with the rollersets?

Can I join? I did the last one which was good. :) I've consistently been rolling my hair for about 9 months now and my hair has really benefited I feel.

Magnetic, purple and red (sometimes smaller if I want tight curls)

Rusk Smoother leave in, touch of Argan oil on the ends.

Definitely both.

I don't own a blow dryer so no.

Hooded dryer

Wide tooth comb and rat tail comb. I just did it tonight and no hairs were on the comb.

I rollersetted today used infusium 23 repair, I should've read the reviews on here before buying the infusium 23 repair leave in, my curls were crunchy out of the rollers,

I sprayed my silk elements heat protectant spray and that softened them up then I blew my roots. I guess because it's protein that is why it was crunchy, I didn't lose any hair thank goodness.

still on the quest to find a soft protein leave in, all my leave ins are moisturizing.

buyers beware of the infusium 23.

of course this challenge is for everyone.

9 months wow that's dedication, have you noticed alot of growth with the rollersets?

I feel it's more health than growth really, it's difficult for me to see it sometimes but folks say that my hair has grown.

I was neck length last year, and my hair was in very bad condition. The consistent rollersetting ensures my hair remains soft and I retain moisture so much better than say when I air dry. My hair is fine, but I'm sure it is the rollersetting that has played a major part in giving my hair fullness and body over time.

Anyways, I set my hair on Thursday. I used Rusk Smoother as leave in and a few sprays of Biolage Fortifying leave in. Here is a pic and this can be my starting pic.

Attachments

• 251220092724.jpg
    251220092724.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Please add me to the list!!!!:yep::yep::yep::yep:

Magnetic and flexi-rods
water, it's a 10 leave in, Redken Anti-Snap/Smooth Down Detangling Cream, Motions wrap foam for flexi-sets
Both please!:grin:
maybe once a month...Helps me get rid of shed hairs when I'm stretching:perplexed
air drying/and bonnet dryer...i just broke my hooded!
rat-tail comb, wide tooth comb, bobby pins, roller clips, and a toothbrush for my edges:grin:

Bumping!

OP, What is the timeframe? Or is this for all of 2010?

EDIT 11/24 **So the official start date we can all start this faithfully is January 2nd 2010, if your out of it that week from partying :) then you can start sometime during the first 2 weeks of January. I'm thinking for now lets try this for 3 months so the end date would be the first week or 2nd (depending on when you start) of April 2010

from the OP

1. What rollers will you be using? Plastic magnetic rollers (all sizes)
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)Narobi foam wrap, Coconut oil, Chi Silk Infusion
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Both!
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional) No blow dryer or flat iron
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Hooded dryer. I have a salon Venus dryer that I purchased from Sally's
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb, slide in clips, alligator clips, bone comb, and Saran wrap

Last edited:
Magnetic and flexi-rods may try curlformers
water, kpak, lacio lacio, heltr
Both
mini flat iron
hood dryer/airdry
rat-tail comb, wide tooth comb,

I'm in!

1. What rollers will you be using? Large Gray Magnetic Rollers
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.) Keracare leave in and Sabino or Mizani Thermasmooth serum.
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Both
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? No blowdryers.
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Hooded dryer.
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc) Magnetic rollers, duckbill clips, rat tail comb, spray water bottle

My starting photo:
picture.php

Please count me in!

I will load my info and most recent/starting pics when I get home.
tonight.

Love this thread btw!

oh yeah your hair grew if you were nl before.
it does really look nice a full and full of health.
I notice my hair is holding moisture better now that i've stopped blowdrying too.

I feel it's more health than growth really, it's difficult for me to see it sometimes but folks say that my hair has grown.

I was neck length last year, and my hair was in very bad condition. The consistent rollersetting ensures my hair remains soft and I retain moisture so much better than say when I air dry. My hair is fine, but I'm sure it is the rollersetting that has played a major part in giving my hair fullness and body over time.

Anyways, I set my hair on Thursday. I used Rusk Smoother as leave in and a few sprays of Biolage Fortifying leave in. Here is a pic and this can be my starting pic.

For the time frame for now I put 3 months but if we all notice that things are going great and we've gotten the hang of rollersetting then we can extend it for the full year.

I personally don't think I will ever stop rollersetting it's calming for my nerves and I enjoy doing them it's sooooo soothing.

I'm in! :wave:

Flexirods. I may experiment with magnetic rollers later.

Alternate between leave-in conditioners and lottabody setting lotion.

Length, health, and a huge reduction (not elimination) in heat usage.

Yes, I will but I'm going to airdry 90% before I use it and limit usage to once or twice a week. With 90% airdrying, the blowdryer is on about 1-2 minutes max.

Airdrying. When I use the magnetic rollers, I'll use the hooded dryer and no blow dryer.

Jilbere shower comb, rat-tail comb, Denman brush, ionic hand blowdryer, ionic hooded blow dryer.

Last edited:
i would love to use a mix of the grey and giant purple ones. i can't seem to find a dryer that will fit over my head with a full head of purple rollers

i am going to do some research on this. i want something that will hold the curl and be nice and soft at the same time.

to leave heat in the dust. i would love length and health too.

i dont plan to. my hair is relaxed and sorta thin. time will tell.

both air and an ion conditioning hard hood bonnet dryer

a wide tooth comb and a rat tail comb. might have to edit this later.

off to find phone for some recent pics......

Last edited:
Back