Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

it depends on the type of hold your looking for. I know setting lotions give you better hold for curls, but you can use any leave in conditioner that you like, my personal faves are Salerms treatment for ends, giovanni direct leave in and neutrogena's silk touch leave in.

but there are many to choose, if your curious on other leave ins check out all the pages in this thread, the ladies list their leave ins for rollersetting and there are many options for you.

hth.

Hey ladies, I am very new to this rollersetting thing. I was under the impression that everytime I need to rollerset, that I need to use a setting lotion. Is this true? If not what other products can I use?

I noticed "broken" hairs too at first, I was told that they are actually the "new" hairs growing in your hair's natural growth cycle. Because they were too short to curl around the rollers they dried standing up instead of naturally lying down and blending in with the rest of your hair. I see them all the time and my hair is not thinner at all. I would just keep an eye on it.

^ I have some of those strands, i'm paranoid since I have thyroid disease and it's trying to eat my hair. That makes me feel better that it could just be new strands.

Sharifeh try to roll a little looser (when you do mohawk) just in case, but if you saw some hair with the ponytail method maybe it was just shed hairs or new hair like Bella said.

It use to take me a few hours to roll, but now I try to roll a half hr or a little over 30 mins. i'm trying to get to 20 mins, but that never works there's always a few rollers that just don't want to act right at all.

But practice practice practice.

Thanks ladies! At least I'm not the only one.

Great challenge!

1. What rollers will you be using? snap on rollers medium and large size
2. What products will you use to set? infusium 23, Aphoghee, Inecto Pure Coconut oil Hair Serum and Rose Water(i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Both
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? No way!
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Hooded dryer
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc) Wide Tooth Comb Denman Brush, Fine Tooth Comb for parting

Attachments

• PC280091.jpg
    PC280091.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 27
for your length I would use the purple rollers, as you stated the smaller rollers are too small for your length, even though you can roll with smaller rollers or use thinner sections.

when I use purple rollers I use thinner sections of hair, for the grey rollers I use thickers sections and with the black rollers I use even thicker sections.

I stretch the hair out a little at and angle holding it straight. then with a little and I mean little tension roll the hair.

I don't have a darn video camera but next time i'll post pictures of how i roll not that pics are much help :wallbash: like vids, i'm still living in 1990 lmao! with no video camera.

Thanks. I don't own any purple rollers so I'm not sure how big they are. I'll have to look when I go to the hair store. I do have pink and green. and two other colors that are too big. I used the small ones because essentially my hair will turn out the be a curled afro. Bigger rollers will just give me stretched hair and not a rollerset.

Hey there!Getting my rollersetting started for New Year's eve party!
Have a great night everyone and be safe!

Attachments

• Snapshot_20091231_2.jpg
    Snapshot_20091231_2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Snapshot_20091231_10.jpg
    Snapshot_20091231_10.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 33
I think the purple are 1 3/4 inches something like that. they will give you a loose bouncy curl. they aren't that large at all.

the purple are the next size after the red rollers.

http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/anmaro.html

Thanks. I don't own any purple rollers so I'm not sure how big they are. I'll have to look when I go to the hair store. I do have pink and green. and two other colors that are too big. I used the small ones because essentially my hair will turn out the be a curled afro. Bigger rollers will just give me stretched hair and not a rollerset.

Last edited:
My roller set is in my signature pic. My avatar in my Instyler results. Not bad, but I have a lot of practicing ahead of me. Right now, I am only able to do dry roller sets. My wet ones look a HAM!:rolleyes::nono: I use satin rollers to minimize damage and they are easy to sleep in.

so will you be airdrying?
the hair can be set either slightly damp airdrying, or wet.

My roller set is in my signature pic. My avatar in my Instyler results. Not bad, but I have a lot of practicing ahead of me. Right now, I am only able to do dry roller sets. My wet ones look a HAM!:rolleyes::nono: I use satin rollers to minimize damage and they are easy to sleep in.

Going to do a rollerset tomorrow, I'll post pics of the set and the finished result if I remember.

here's my starting pic. 1st is a rollerset on black magnetic rollers before I combed it.
2nd is after I wrapped.

Attachments

• hairfoodnails 001.JPG
    hairfoodnails 001.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 35
  • lastof09 012.jpg
    lastof09 012.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 37
Hello Everyone!! Happy New Year!!!
Here is my starting picture. Taken Jan 1st.

Attachments

• Jan 1 2010.jpg
    Jan 1 2010.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 13
This is a pic from the end of October. I won't have another straight hair pic for another 3 weeks.

Attachments

• DSC02121.jpg
    DSC02121.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 11
Hi Everyone, Happy New Year!!

I'm going to post starting pics when I get my next relaxer in about a week or so. Then, I will officially start the challenge and attempt my very first self rollerset.....I'm scared, but I have my DVD, and you guys if I have questions.

This is my starting pic taken in November 09. My hair is braided right now so will be starting the challenge a little later.

Attachments

• DayDreamer-vi.jpg
    DayDreamer-vi.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
nice starting pics ladies, I have to post a new pic too, I trimmed a week ago so now i'm in between apl and sl.

it's great that all of our hair is already healthy so this challenge should just really push it to superb lengths :)

Panamoni don't worry just remember patience and roll up, use slide in clips, don't pull too taut, make sure the hair is smooth on the roller, that's all I can think of right now.

Last edited:
I posted my starting pic on pg1 with my original post. I don't think I am gonna wear my rollersets out unless wearing a banana clip because I am trying to gain some thickness and I hate how it looks down without 1/2 weave tracks so I am going to rollerset/saran wrap and put on a wig.

Last edited:
Here is my first rollerset done on 23 weeks post hair with gray and purple flexirods.

533ix.jpg

2m7cksn.jpg

that's good the wigs will give your hair a rest, and a rest is always good especially in the winter months. my water is soooo drying no matter what moisturizers I use,

so wig it up chica :)

I posted my starting pic on pg1 with my original post. I don't think I am gonna wear my rollersets out unless wearing a banana clip because I am trying to gain some thickness and I hate how it looks down without 1/2 weave tracks so I am going to rollerset/saran wrap and put on a wig.

^^Ditto needing flexirods!

I did my first roller set of the year and it was a wamp wamp. Too much product! HE LTR makes my hair mushy. I used a diluted mix of Narobi foam wrap with water, Chi Silk Infusion, and the HE LTR! I should have left the HE out. My hair was too mushy and soft and I could not get the hair taunt on the rollers. I sprayed it with heat protectant and sat under the dryer for 45 minutes. I wrapped it up tightly overnight and it looked ok today, but def not one I'm proud of. I may put it up in a banana clip tomorrow.

I am in braids right now ladies (a last minute thing and something I needed to do to get over this growth hump). I will be taking them down in Feb. However, after that I will only be roller setting again. I will keep you posted as things progress.

Latoya28, that looks wonderful, it makes me want to buy flexirods as well!

I have a question: how often do you rollersetters clarify? How does it contribute to the bounciness, swang, movement of your rollersets? I feel like now that I rollerset with each wash and I'm using serums, my hair is weighed down, so maybe I should clarify more often?

ETA: I added my starting pic, it's after I think my 3rd rollerset....

Attachments

• rollersetstartpic.jpg
    rollersetstartpic.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 53
Ok, so I'm drying my rollerset right now, I didn't use silicon mix to DC this time, I used YTC mud mask and my hair isn't coming out as good. I guess that silicon mix stuff is the truth. I'm also getting deeper into my stretch so things are rough.

the less leaveins the better, using one leavein is good, but if your going to do a little cocktail use a dime size of each.

^^Ditto needing flexirods!

I did my first roller set of the year and it was a wamp wamp. Too much product! HE LTR makes my hair mushy. I used a diluted mix of Narobi foam wrap with water, Chi Silk Infusion, and the HE LTR! I should have left the HE out. My hair was too mushy and soft and I could not get the hair taunt on the rollers. I sprayed it with heat protectant and sat under the dryer for 45 minutes. I wrapped it up tightly overnight and it looked ok today, but def not one I'm proud of. I may put it up in a banana clip tomorrow.

I clarify when I do my protein treatments which is every other week, I like to make sure the protein has a crisp strand to penetrate.

I use redkens clarifier it's pretty good too.

Latoya28, that looks wonderful, it makes me want to buy flexirods as well!

I have a question: how often do you rollersetters clarify? How does it contribute to the bounciness, swang, movement of your rollersets? I feel like now that I rollerset with each wash and I'm using serums, my hair is weighed down, so maybe I should clarify more often?

ETA: I added my starting pic, it's after I think my 3rd rollerset....

Back