Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

awww congrats! I just finished doing my hair too, i'm happy to finally have gotten the hang of the saran wrap thing, I haven't needed to use a flat iron in sooooo long now......well 2 1/2 months lol!

hopefully bsl is right around the corner.

your welcome, I just can't do the co-wash this is my 2nd attempt at it, this time it came out better I rollerset my hair and it doesn't feel too bad, but i'm starting to itch lol!!! so tomorrow back to shampoo can't get away from that stuff.

hopefully yours will dry nicely. update me later on once it's dry.

I like the way my hair feels since the co wash however, I also recently started using JBCO. I am not sure if that is what made the difference. Today my hair is starting to itch a bit so I am not sure if I can go with out shampooing for another week. I will try it though.

1. What rollers will you be using? Tan magnetic rollers- for a curly look

2. What products will you use to set? Nairobi foam wrap, Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning cream and a spray bottle filled with water.

3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Longer, thicker, fuller, and healthy hair.

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? Not at all, I don’t use direct heat on my hair.

5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Bonnet dryer for about 30 minutes(on low heat) and air-drying the rest of the way (while I sleep).

6. What styling tools will you be using? Wide tooth comb-to detangle and rattail comb to smooth hair while I’m rolling.

Attachments

• 12-2009.jpg
    12-2009.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 22
What conditioner did you use? My mistake may have been the conditioner.

I can barely make 4 days without washing my hair, my mom said I got the funky scalp from here thx :lachen:

I guess with co-washing you can do that every other day if you have the time.

I like the way my hair feels since the co wash however, I also recently started using JBCO. I am not sure if that is what made the difference. Today my hair is starting to itch a bit so I am not sure if I can go with out shampooing for another week. I will try it though.

Daily?? why so frequent?

thanks for joining :)

I wanna join :wave:

Thing is, I'll be rollersetting daily :)

1. What rollers will you be using?
Snap
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
Suave Humectant Poo & Con, NTM
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)?
Length; this method has already proven to keep it healthy so I'm going to length :)
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?
Nope
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer?
Both; Bonnet for quick 15min, airdry rest overnight
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc)
Wide-tooth comb, headband

What conditioner did you use? My mistake may have been the conditioner.

I can barely make 4 days without washing my hair, my mom said I got the funky scalp from here thx :lachen:

I guess with co-washing you can do that every other day if you have the time.

I used Elasta QP Intensive fortifying conditioner but next time I am going to try Dudleys Moisturizing Conditioner.

^^ oh ok, I used creme of natures conditioner, but then I mixed other stuff, I guess I should've just used one conditioner lmao!

Im new here and I would like to join in as well. I'm trying to get my hair back long again, after i had my son (about a year ago) my hair fell out like crazy so I had to cut it :-(

The purpule magnetic rollers

2. What products will you use to set?

Motions wrap foam to set, Mazani H20 condtioning dress before I due my silk wrap

3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch?

Health length and thickness

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all?

If I have to and my roots get unmanagable between perms, I will flat iron only the roots.

Hooded dryer

fine tooth comb to comb out hair before rolling, and a paddle brush

I just ordered my curlformers so after I do a run through with those to see how I like it I may be joining up. Each time I tried to rollereset it always ending up in a poofy failure so I have my fingers cross for this one.

^ with a good leave in you shouldn't have any problems, I hope they work out for you, I want to get curlformers just can't bear to pay the price for them.

After reading a post about breakage due to rollersetting, I've decided to alternate my roller layout. I have experienced breakage down the middle back section of my hair (Im currently recovering from this setback)!

Now rollersetting using the mohawk technique may or may not have been the contributing factor, however for the next few weeks I well brick lay the rollers in the back. After my touch-up Dec 30, I will alternate between the mohawk and bricklay.

Does anyone else alternate their rollerset layout?

I have switched my layout too, with the mohawk it seems to take me longer to set the whole head, so I par the hair from ear to ear clip the front part up, and in the back which is only about 4-5 rollers going back i'll do a partial mohawk but in the back,

don't roll too tight, rolling tight doesn't straighten it just breaks the hair off, with most rollersets your gonna have the dents anyways from the clips, so I don't roll tight, and don't put the clips in too tight either, sometimes I can feel the that the clips are too tight and i go back and loosen them up immediately.

the breakage comes from the hair drying and shrinking, so that's why I personally try to not to roll too tight/taut.

After reading a post about breakage due to rollersetting, I've decided to alternate my roller layout. I have experienced breakage down the middle back section of my hair (Im currently recovering from this setback)!

Now rollersetting using the mohawk technique may or may not have been the contributing factor, however for the next few weeks I well brick lay the rollers in the back. After my touch-up Dec 30, I will alternate between the mohawk and bricklay.

Does anyone else alternate their rollerset layout?

I have switched my layout too, with the mohawk it seems to take me longer to set the whole head, so I par the hair from ear to ear clip the front part up, and in the back which is only about 4-5 rollers going back i'll do a partial mohawk but in the back,

don't roll too tight, rolling tight doesn't straighten it just breaks the hair off, with most rollersets your gonna have the dents anyways from the clips, so I don't roll tight, and don't put the clips in too tight either, sometimes I can feel the that the clips are too tight and i go back and loosen them up immediately.

the breakage comes from the hair drying and shrinking, so that's why I personally try to not to roll too tight/taut.

I'm in :). Longhairlover, that partial mohawk thing, I'm gonna try that :yep:. I suck @ the mohawk, the rollers on either side always end up fair to partly WHACK :ohwell: :lol: I'm gonna relax within the next 2 weeks (tryin to make 10 weeks :rolleyes:) and I'll be rollersetting from then so I'll actually have something relevant to post in here :lol:

I'll put in what products and rollers i'l be using after I'll relax I'm hoping I can graduate to larger rollers....

ETA: The bolded is good advice. makes sense.

Last edited:
Hi - I would like to join...

1. What rollers will you be using? Magnetic but may move up to Ceramic if I can find them locally (interchanging between purple, gray, and red)
2. What products will you use to set? Aphogee Pro-Vitamin/Aphogee Keratin mix, LottaBody, or Lacio Lacio
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch ?Both
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all ? No
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Hooded
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc) - Both wide tooth and fine tooth combs

great halee_J don't give up, i also notice that I use less rollers than the mohawk, I just did the switch in roller arrangements last week. I think I may wash tomorrow i'll make sure to post pics of my roller placement. it is really trial and error, this time around rollersetting has been good before my sets were awful and I would see crown breakage too this time around no breakage.

[/B]
I'm in :). Longhairlover, that partial mohawk thing, I'm gonna try that :yep:. I suck @ the mohawk, the rollers on either side always end up fair to partly WHACK :ohwell: :lol: I'm gonna relax within the next 2 weeks (tryin to make 10 weeks :rolleyes:) and I'll be rollersetting from then so I'll actually have something relevant to post in here :lol:

I'll put in what products and rollers i'l be using after I'll relax I'm hoping I can graduate to larger rollers....

ETA: The bolded is good advice. makes sense.

Please count me in on this challenge, i currently have a shoulder length.

1. What rollers will you be using? Black rollers with the clips

2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
Lottabody setting lotion, Silky straight serum, Jojoba oil/Castor oil

Length: APL Health: i want my hair to grow all over cos currently my nape and front hair has a slow growth

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?
Not really

I will be using a hooded dryer (conair)

Fine tooth comb

^ with the saran wrap, you wrap your hair and place saran wrap tightly around your head, I use about 3 strips of the self stick saran wrap, I wrap around my head twice, then I wrap over the top pluck a hole so my scalp can breathe,

then you sit under the dryer for 20mins, the saran wrap helps to take out the fluff from a rollerset to give it a flat ironed look but it keeps more body in the hair.

i rollerset my hair this morning. i'm happy with how soft and moisturized it came out, however i use mesh rollers and duckbill clips and i think the clips are breaking some pieces of my hair off. i'm going to try rollerpins next time.

aww man yeah switch to the rollers pins, or the roller bobby pins. they have soft thich ol' tips.

i rollerset my hair this morning. i'm happy with how soft and moisturized it came out, however i use mesh rollers and duckbill clips and i think the clips are breaking some pieces of my hair off. i'm going to try rollerpins next time.

no i'm under for 50 mins, on 60 degrees, sometimes it's dry before 50mins, but once I rinse out my conditioner I leave the hair dripping wet and add the giovanni direct,

I don't have to re-wet the hair at all but since it's not towel dried it mostly takes the 50 mins, if I would towel dry a little then it would take less time the 60 degrees is pretty hot.

they are small sections on the rollers, not super thin/small sections but the same amount they put at the salons.

That is a good idea!! Do u have to stay under the dryer longer since their is more hair on the roller?

my starting pic after todays rollerset 12/15 ( I have to get my ends trimmed so I can start the year fresh)

picture.php

I'm in. Back into grow out mode after having fun for the past 9 months or so living la vida loca with hair color

- I have regular magnetic rollers but I am trying to get my hands on the ceramic ones.

I'll probably be using perm repair setting lotion for the first couple of months on top of whatever leave in pull out. Then, I might try the nariobi foam wrap since I heard it was so good.
Both. Retain growth and maintain health while I grow my bob back out.

Probably not. Never had to do it before.

Hooded dryer

I use my mason pearson fine toothed comb when I rollerset after detangling with wide tooth comb.

laughing at the la vida loca with hair color :lachen:

I'm in. Back into grow out mode after having fun for the past 9 months or so living la vida loca with hair color

- I have regular magnetic rollers but I am trying to get my hands on the ceramic ones.

I'll probably be using perm repair setting lotion for the first couple of months on top of whatever leave in pull out. Then, I might try the nariobi foam wrap since I heard it was so good.
Both. Retain growth and maintain health while I grow my bob back out.

Probably not. Never had to do it before.

Hooded dryer

I use my mason pearson fine toothed comb when I rollerset after detangling with wide tooth comb.

Back