Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

love your banana clip style in your pic, gonna try that :)

I did a wet wrap the other day, it was my first one in years, came out ok took forever to dry under the dryer :ohwell:

I just couldn't get the top cone part smooth had to use a roller for it lmao!

thanks, I used about 6 grey flexi rods. I think I will have to use about 5-6 rollers at the top for the wet wrap because I have the same problem since my hair is texlaxed.

oh I haven't tried flexirods yet, there are just so many ways to curl your hair without curling irons.

I think i'll stick to the rollersets using various types of roller type tools.

thanks, I used about 6 grey flexi rods. I think I will have to use about 5-6 rollers at the top for the wet wrap because I have the same problem since my hair is texlaxed.

I will be air drying. My wet sets are horrible. I looked like a black poodle when I took out my rollers.:blush: I have to try something different, quick.:ohwell:

I would like to join, I am getting a dryer from salonsrus and want to rollerset more.

1. What rollers will you be using?
Magnetic and flexi rods

2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
Keracare foam wrap, elasta qp leave in, chi silk infusion

3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)?
Both health and length

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?
I havent decided yet

5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer?
Hooded dryer

6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc)
fine and wide tooth comb, clips, brush

Last edited:
Please count me in. I love roller setting.

I will be using magnetic rollers, mesh rollers, flexi rods, and perm rods.
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
I will be using a serum and leave in for regular rollersets. I will be using serum, leave-in and foam wrap for flexi rod and perm rod sets.

I'm hoping for both. Im will be getting a cut in a few days due to split ends and uneveness. This way I'll be getting length and protecting my hair as well.

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?
My goal is to put a ban on the blow dryer during those 3 months. So no unless Im in dire need.

I'll be both airdrying and using a hooded dryer.

I will be using a D3 denman brush, wide tooth shower comb, fine tooth rat tailcomb and end papers.

dying laughing at poodle lol!

I know you probably don't want to use heat but maybe dry on a cool setting for 15 mins or so then airdry the rest.

I know for myself airdrying never comes out too great I need heat.

I will be air drying. My wet sets are horrible. I looked like a black poodle when I took out my rollers.:blush: I have to try something different, quick.:ohwell:

Last edited:
Hopefully this will be one challenge I can do :)
I will be using magnetic rollers and curlformers. Not too good with the flexis.
I will be using QBCTDG leave in, CHI serum, Aphoghee Leave In & Green Tea Reconstructurizer and KeraCare Foam Wrap Lotion
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Health and length. I am grazing BSB and pondering going over to the BSL 2010 thread to join. Two challenges in one year :greedy:

Don't really ever blowdry, it tears up my ends unless I'm careful.

I'll be using a hooded dryer.

6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc) I use rattail comb(for parting)red and teal rollers, silver roller clips

Count me in! I have been lurking this challenge long enough. I have been wearing roller sets / ring curls for the past 10 years, so why not join? I think it's just the thought of committing to it.

I AM IN! :grin:

Difference sized (depending on style and level of hold desired) magnetic
rollers witht the silver double clips...sometimes small rollers with clamps

Diluted KeraCare setting lotion for loose curls and undiluted for firm
curls

I would like acheive both length and health, I just joined the 2010 MBL
challenge and I know this challenge will help me reach my MBL goal

No, not sure how to do this:nono: Better safe than sorry, one major
setback in 2009 is enough

Will be both airdrying and using a hooded dryer...NO HEAT OTHERWISE

I will be using a wide tooth shampoo comb, rat tail to part only, fingers
to style and seperate curls

this will be easy for you and everyone else, I looked at previous rollersetting challenges and they were just toooooo strict, so I thought i'd lighten it up a bit with variety of rollers, wet sets options.

I don't like committing to stuff either but this one should be easy for all of us.

there are lots of ways you can get your roots straight, scarfs, saran wrap may help a little, or flat iron. i'm addicted to straight roots it's an issue I know lmao!

Count me in! I have been lurking this challenge long enough. I have been wearing roller sets / ring curls for the past 10 years, so why not join? I think it's just the thought of committing to it.

I AM IN! :grin:

Difference sized (depending on style and level of hold desired) magnetic
rollers witht the silver double clips...sometimes small rollers with clamps

Diluted KeraCare setting lotion for loose curls and undiluted for firm
curls

I would like acheive both length and health, I just joined the 2010 MBL
challenge and I know this challenge will help me reach my MBL goal

No, not sure how to do this:nono: Better safe than sorry, one major
setback in 2009 is enough

Will be both airdrying and using a hooded dryer...NO HEAT OTHERWISE

I will be using a wide tooth shampoo comb, rat tail to part only, fingers
to style and seperate curls

I want in! I just started roller setting my hair 2 weeks ago and decided that I'm going to continue with it.

1. What rollers will you be using? Ceramic rollers and flexi rods
2. What products will you use to set? Chi Silk Infusion, ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer and a setting lotion.
Both
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? I am not certain about the blow dryer yet however, I will more than likely use the flat iron.
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? I will air dry for the most part
6. What styling tools will you be using? I use a wide tooth comb to comb out the tangles. I use a fine tooth comb for smoothing.

Oh yeah, I am so IN!!! I don't know why it took me so long to return to rollersetting, my thrived on it before. I've been rollersetting once a week on Sundays and I LOVE it!

magnetic rollers with clamps (I've always used clamps, never got the hang of pins)

Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin spray leave-in
Nairobi Foam Wrap or Silk Elements Foam Wrap
Coconut oil or serum to seal once rollers come out

Health and length. Would LOVE to be BSL (or at least scraping) by June 12, 2010.

I don't even know how to do that! Never done it before, and going without it works for me :)

Definitely hood dryer. I like the thought of sealing in the Keratin spray with heat.

Wide tooth shower comb to detangle, fine tooth comb to smooth hair into rollers.

I *might* flat iron the roots occasionally (never tried it before) but only at 8+ weeks post, if needed.

Last edited:
i'd like to join. it's getting too cold for my daily cowashes and rollersetting is perfect for my hair laziness, especially being almost 14 months post.

mesh: 1 1/2 inch
herbal essences ltr leave in and a little aussie moist. i've found that's all i need
both!
no
hooded dryer
mebco wide tooth comb and long duckbill clips

this will be easy for you and everyone else, I looked at previous rollersetting challenges and they were just toooooo strict, so I thought i'd lighten it up a bit with variety of rollers, wet sets options.

I don't like committing to stuff either but this one should be easy for all of us.

there are lots of ways you can get your roots straight, scarfs, saran wrap may help a little, or flat iron. i'm addicted to straight roots it's an issue I know lmao!

Yes it will and I thank you so much for that! We will all be just fine.

I absolutely adore straight roots but I only get them right after and 2-3 weeks after a relaxer...so I decided to just wear ring curl and hide the nappy roots...dont get me wrong..I now greatly appreciate nappy roots because I know it means NG, for so long I just though my relaxer either wasnt strong enough or wasn't being applied properly:wallbash:..but I got it now...and I am ready to roll!...literally!

I use the keratin spray and I really like it the other chi products :nono: lmao! it's really nice with the rollersets.

I always combine it with another leave in though.

thanks for joining!

Oh yeah, I am so IN!!! I don't know why it took me so long to return to rollersetting, my thrived on it before. I've been rollersetting once a week on Sundays and I LOVE it!

magnetic rollers with clamps (I've always used clamps, never got the hang of pins)

Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin spray leave-in
Nairobi Foam Wrap or Silk Elements Foam Wrap
Coconut oil or serum to seal once rollers come out

Health and length. Would LOVE to be BSL (or at least scraping) by June 12, 2010.

I don't even know how to do that! Never done it before, and going without it works for me :)

Definitely hood dryer. I like the thought of sealing in the Keratin spray with heat.

Wide tooth shower comb to detangle, fine tooth comb to smooth hair into rollers.

I *might* flat iron the roots occasionally (never tried it before) but only at 8+ weeks post, if needed.

14 months can be stress, one time I went 12 months, I just didn't feel like relaxing, and living in nyc and getting rollersets at the salon made it really easy not to relax.

thanks for joining :yawn:

i'd like to join. it's getting too cold for my daily cowashes and rollersetting is perfect for my hair laziness, especially being almost 14 months post.

mesh: 1 1/2 inch
herbal essences ltr leave in and a little aussie moist. i've found that's all i need
both!
no
hooded dryer
mebco wide tooth comb and long duckbill clips

giovanni direct leave in is amazing on newgrowth. I didn't believe until I tried it, keeps my hair soft until my next wash and most products only keep the hair soft for a few days :ohwell:.

but use giovanni on soaking wet hair only.

big hair is in anyways let the newgrowth shine on lmao!

Yes it will and I thank you so much for that! We will all be just fine.

I absolutely adore straight roots but I only get them right after and 2-3 weeks after a relaxer...so I decided to just wear ring curl and hide the nappy roots...dont get me wrong..I now greatly appreciate nappy roots because I know it means NG, for so long I just though my relaxer either wasnt strong enough or wasn't being applied properly:wallbash:..but I got it now...and I am ready to roll!...literally!

14 months can be stress, one time I went 12 months, I just didn't feel like relaxing, and living in nyc and getting rollersets at the salon made it really easy not to relax.
\

what salons are you going to longhairlover?
they didn't complain about your 12 month stretch?

no I think the woman just thought I don't perm at all, one time I told her I was thinking about relaxing and she said "mami you don't need too" :lachen: so my stretch ended up a year, I relaxed because I moved to nj and couldn't find anyone to do my wash and sets, and I do them now but don't have the patience to deal with 12 months or longer unrelaxed hair I just can't. I just relaxed 2 weeks ago only because too much shedding probably due to my thyroid meds.

my hair is pretty easy to blowout, I remember the looks of the freshly relaxed chicks at the womans salon, they would look at me like "she need a touch up lmao" until they saw the end results :lachen:once the lady knew me she would never tell me to perm because she could get the same results with the hot *** blowdryers and a brush.

I have a few hispanic spots in nyc (I say hispanic because the main women who use to do my hair was ecuadorian), 2 spots in harlem don't know the name (I know typical), one is on 125th off of 2nd ave the womans' name is Elizabeth it's the only salon on 125th near 2nd ave. there are a load of places on 116th spanish harlem.

and the place with my stretch was in my old neighborhood in the bronx on 183rd towards the 4 train never knew the name of that place either actually I don't think the awning has a name on it :lachen:bootleg, it was a hole in the wall.

what salons are you going to longhairlover?
they didn't complain about your 12 month stretch?

ohh cool thanks for the info!! do you know the exact address of the place on 183rd street in the bronx??
Why did they say you didn't need it? Do you have type 3 hair?

honestly i don't know what my hair type is, my mom always referred to it as dominican wiry hair which maybe is 4a or something.

it was easy for her to straighten it so I guess she didn't think it needed a relaxer, it would look freshly relaxed when she was finished.

I don't even remember the avenue to be honest, it's a block down from the little park area (as if your walking down from university to the 4 train, there's a little park like area). i'll scan my old pm's to see, I think I had given someone on here the exact info from when I was out there a while back.

ohh cool thanks for the info!! do you know the exact address of the place on 183rd street in the bronx??
Why did they say you didn't need it? Do you have type 3 hair?

Hey, What is a good leave in for roller setting? I am currently using Black N Sassy Foam setting lotion but I want something different. Oh and I co-washed for the first time tonight! yayy

I use to LOVE black and sassy setting lotion for when I use to wear my hair in buns.

I alternate between this list of leave ins:

salerm treatment for ends
neutrogena silk touch leave in
giovanni direct leave in (LOVE)
i'll mix it chi keratin mist with any of the 3 above
lacio lacio sometimes (I personally don't like it anymore)
una bomba leave in (LOVE)

all the above give good slip too, the ladies in this challenge has listed alot of other good leave ins too, I just personally haven't gotten to trying the other stuff yet :lachen:.

I cowashed yesterday I just don't like co-washing my hair always still feels dirty :(

congrats on your co-wash success though.

kuz leave in spray for dry and porous hair (ok) it's great on my hubby's hair and his dandruff oddly :perplexed

Hey, What is a good leave in for roller setting? I am currently using Black N Sassy Foam setting lotion but I want something different. Oh and I co-washed for the first time tonight! yayy

Thanks for all of the tips. :grin: I am not sure yet if I like the co-wash since my hair hasn't dried yet. But, my hair does feel a bit clammy which I don't like. :ohwell:

your welcome, I just can't do the co-wash this is my 2nd attempt at it, this time it came out better I rollerset my hair and it doesn't feel too bad, but i'm starting to itch lol!!! so tomorrow back to shampoo can't get away from that stuff.

hopefully yours will dry nicely. update me later on once it's dry.

Thanks for all of the tips. :grin: I am not sure yet if I like the co-wash since my hair hasn't dried yet. But, my hair does feel a bit clammy which I don't like. :ohwell:

I wanna join :wave:

Thing is, I'll be rollersetting daily :)

Snap
Suave Humectant Poo & Con, NTM
Length; this method has already proven to keep it healthy so I'm going to length :)
Nope
Both; Bonnet for quick 15min, airdry rest overnight
Wide-tooth comb, headband

Also, I used chi silk infusion and water and that was about it, my roots are frizzy and dry though!!
what should I use on those??

Black magnetic on wet hair, caruso steam on airdried, and possibly flexirods to maintain the ends between wet sets.
I have HE LTR leave in, CHI silk infusion, giovanni direct, rusk smoother. I just picked up lacio lacio w/ silk this evening and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I intend to use these leave-ins separately and still put jojoba or coconut oil on the ends.
There's some of my mother's old lottabody somewhere around here in a closet. I may try that, too. (lottabody doesn't expire does it?:perplexed

I mostly want my hair to look good and be more manageable. I usually air dry in a damp bun or with a few braids. My hair is in decent condition, but it could stand to look more stylish/groomed.
Nah. I will flatiron my roots, however, during stretches.

A hooded dryer is on its way. I expect it tomorrow or Monday. It's a pebco tabletop. I bought it per the OP's excellent recommendation in this years pibbs thread.
rattail comb, maybe my denman.

Thickness...I'd push my momma down (sorry, mom) if it meant that I could have thick hair. Obviously length would be lovely as well, but mostly, I just want thicker and stronger hair.
:lachen::lachen::lachen:
:nono:

^^ it's funny that we will turn on our family for healthy hair lmao!!!
my mother asked me for some protein products, since i have a bss in my house, and I gave her the stuff I don't like, it's soooo wrong, I asked her how did she like the products and she said she hated them! lmao! I feel so bad, maybe i'll loan her the good stuff after all she wears her hair really short so hopefully she'll be light handed on the products :).

Back