Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

this is my starting point. these were taken around 12/4/09. i haven't worn my hair out of a bun since i washed my hair from this giant purple roller set.

picture.php

picture.php

Count me in...I'm currently in a full head sew in, but will be having it removed in 2 more weeks, so I can start the challenge on Jan 22, after I have it removed! I did the 3 month challenge over the summer and really retained a lot of hair. I will try to incorporate the setting with protective styling so that I can get to full APL by the spring! I plan to rollerset primarily until my cruise in April, so 3 months.

1. What rollers will you be using? All kinds..I use magnetics, flexirods, perm rods, just depends on my mood.
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.) I use diluted Keracare setting lotion, Lacio Lacio leave in/Jane Carter Leave In, Chi Silk Infusion for my sets.
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? I would like to retain more length and create more health in my hair
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? Since I will be 5 weeks once I start, I may be using the blowdryer, especially as the weeks progress if I am going for a straighter look.
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Hooded dryer
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc) Fine tooth comb to detangle, wide tooth comb initially, blowdryer(if necessary), hooded dryer,

any suggestions on where i can learn to do rollersets myslef?

i have seen some older threads on roller setting tutorials and i have visited you tube but still i am disappointed usually in my results whenever i do this myslef.

honestly, i am terrified of letting another stylest do my hair, mostly in light on some recent threads of stylist inflicted set backs. i know they are not all bad, but i have worked too hard to gamble right now.

i open to any suggestions from point a to z ( setting lotions to hair dryers)!!!

tia!!!

this website really helped me with rollersets. i like that she sets her hair in four sections because my hair is always in four sections when i'm styling it, so it was incredibly easy to learn.

http://www.long-healthy-hair-advisor.com/roller-set-natural-hair.html

HTH

i have seen some older threads on roller setting tutorials and i have visited you tube but still i am disappointed usually in my results whenever i do this myslef.

honestly, i am terrified of letting another stylest do my hair, mostly in light on some recent threads of stylist inflicted set backs. i know they are not all bad, but i have worked too hard to gamble right now.

i open to any suggestions from point a to z ( setting lotions to hair dryers)!!!

tia!!!

1. What rollers will you be using? Magnetic rollers-tan color

2. What products will you use to set? Nairobi Foam Wrap, Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave In Conditioner, Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer and a spray bottle filled with water.

3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Length, fullness, and most importantly healthy hair.

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? NO, I no longer use direct head.

5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Bonnet dryer on low for 30 minutes and air-dry in rollers overnight.

6. What styling tools will you be using? Wide tooth comb- to detangle and fine tooth comb to smooth during rolling.

Last edited:

tia!!!

Also, less is more when it comes to hair products. I wouldn't use more than a dime size amount of leave-in conditioner and maybe a nickle size of a serum before you roller set. If you put too much product in it weighs it down and looks limp or too oily/crunchy. And make sure you hair is extra wet when rolling. It helps it look smoother. Oh..most importantly...make sure your hair is completely dry when you come out of the hair dryer. If you don't your hair will be puffy! Sometimes I get so bored I get anxious under the dryer. Read a book, use your laptop but make sure are completely dry!:grin:

I'm going to attempt this challenge for 6 months. I intend to stretch my relaxer for a year. If all goes well, I may try to do roller sets all year. I started my fotki and I'm going to be updating my pics. I will be 2 months post on Friday. 10 more months to go.:yep:

Please add me to this challenge

1. What rollers will you be using?
Mesh rollers with the brush removed and secured with metal clips.

2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
I've had good results with a mix consisting of lottabody setting lotion, Giovanni direct leave-in, and water. I added a few drops of grapeseed extract as a preservative.

3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)?
Both.

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?
No. I will be participating in the 2010 Bootcamp challenge, so no direct heat.

5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer?
Both.

6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc)
Metal duckbill clips, Jilbere shower comb, denman brush, and ball ponytail holders. (I'm currently doing ponytail rollersets. I will move on to regular rollersets as I get better.)

Last edited:
Im in..All I do is rollerset.. I get under hood dryer for about 30 minutes and let it air dry (I sometimes roll at night and sleep on it)..I roll with magnetic rollers and from time to time flatiron my roots. Now are we also stretching? My relaxer is due on 01/16/2009..that will be 12 weeks stretch, I do not go longer than that, LOL

I'd like to get in on this challenge. I've been slacking a lot for the past year with baby and all. Now I'm ready to get back into good hair care.

1. What rollers will you be using? Magnetic rollers (burgundy)
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.) I use some of my conditioners that I use to co wash as leave ins (Suave Tropical Coconut or V05 Moisture Milk), plain water and coconut or olive oil
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Health, fullness and length
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? No blowdrying...only occassionally when I go to my beautician to get my hair straightened out (I'm texlaxed)
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Airdrying
Wide tooth comb only

Also, less is more when it comes to hair products. I wouldn't use more than a dime size amount of leave-in conditioner and maybe a nickle size of a serum before you roller set. If you put too much product in it weighs it down and looks limp or too oily/crunchy. And make sure you hair is extra wet when rolling. It helps it look smoother. Oh..most importantly...make sure your hair is completely dry when you come out of the hair dryer. If you don't your hair will be puffy! Sometimes I get so bored I get anxious under the dryer. Read a book, use your laptop but make sure are completely dry!:grin:

Thanks for the tips! Taking notes.....

For the mesh rollers, I was just doing a search and came across that same post on Sally's. I wrote it off because I saw the brush bristles. I didn't know you could remove them. Thanks for posting that. Now I'm going to buy some next week. :yep:

Please add me to this challenge

Mesh rollers with the brush removed and secured with metal clips.

2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
I've had good results with a mix consisting of lottabody setting lotion, Giovanni direct leave-in, and water. I added a few drops of grapeseed extract as a preservative.

Both.

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?
No. I will be participating in the 2010 Bootcamp challenge, so no direct heat.

Both.

Metal duckbill clips, Jilbere shower comb, denman brush, and ball ponytail holders. (I'm currently doing ponytail rollersets. I will move on to regular rollersets as I get better.)

I'm a little texlaxed so I'm (nearly) natural, anyway, I rollerset my hair on Sunday and it was a mass of tangles. How does your hair tangle when you smooth your hair before setting it on the roller? Anyway, the next time I rollerset I will use setting lotion and bigger rollers. I used blue and yellow magnetic rollers.

awww congrats on your little darling :)
thanks for joining.

I'd like to get in on this challenge. I've been slacking a lot for the past year with baby and all. Now I'm ready to get back into good hair care.

1. What rollers will you be using? Magnetic rollers (burgundy)
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.) I use some of my conditioners that I use to co wash as leave ins (Suave Tropical Coconut or V05 Moisture Milk), plain water and coconut or olive oil
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Health, fullness and length
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? No blowdrying...only occassionally when I go to my beautician to get my hair straightened out (I'm texlaxed)
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Airdrying
Wide tooth comb only

I did my second rollerset yesterday and wrapped afterwards.
ETA: SHould we post pics, or just come into the thread periodically to give updates on the methods we're using?

Last edited:
when I use to go to the latin spots I would only have them do rollersets, no trims just rollersets and blowouts,

I like this womans tutorials it's long 3 parts but she takes her time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfmasn9Is9Y

also rolling up is always easier, don't pull the hair too taut. some believe you have to pull the hair mad tight and then all that does is cause breakage.

you want to make sure the hair is smooth on the rollers but not tight the hair needs to have some sort of room for when it dries and shrinks.

tia!!!

for your length I would use the purple rollers, as you stated the smaller rollers are too small for your length, even though you can roll with smaller rollers or use thinner sections.

when I use purple rollers I use thinner sections of hair, for the grey rollers I use thickers sections and with the black rollers I use even thicker sections.

I stretch the hair out a little at and angle holding it straight. then with a little and I mean little tension roll the hair.

I don't have a darn video camera but next time i'll post pictures of how i roll not that pics are much help :wallbash: like vids, i'm still living in 1990 lmao! with no video camera.

I'm a little texlaxed so I'm (nearly) natural, anyway, I rollerset my hair on Sunday and it was a mass of tangles. How does your hair tangle when you smooth your hair before setting it on the roller? Anyway, the next time I rollerset I will use setting lotion and bigger rollers. I used blue and yellow magnetic rollers.

Last edited:
For the mesh rollers, I was just doing a search and came across that same post on Sally's. I wrote it off because I saw the brush bristles. I didn't know you could remove them. Thanks for posting that. Now I'm going to buy some next week. :yep:

You're welcome :). The mesh is an insert and is easy to take out.

you can post pics throughout because it also helps others to see the visuals of roller placement and it's just fun to post pics :grin:

I did my second rollerset yesterday and wrapped afterwards.
ETA: SHould we post pics, or just come into the thread periodically to give updates on the methods we're using?

Out of curiosity how long does it take yall to rollerset? It takes me about an hour doing the ponytail method and for mohawk it takes a bit longer. I've only rollerset 4 times though
I also got some broken hairs today when taking my rollers down I wonder if its from taking the clips out

Out of curiosity how long does it take yall to rollerset? It takes me about an hour doing the ponytail method and for mohawk it takes a bit longer. I've only rollerset 4 times though
I also got some broken hairs today when taking my rollers down I wonder if its from taking the clips out

I noticed "broken" hairs too at first, I was told that they are actually the "new" hairs growing in your hair's natural growth cycle. Because they were too short to curl around the rollers they dried standing up instead of naturally lying down and blending in with the rest of your hair. I see them all the time and my hair is not thinner at all. I would just keep an eye on it.

What the heck - I'm in. This keeps me from being all wishy-washy with my hair - changing styles too often.

I will roll with the pink magnetic rollers. I use the caps that come with them. After the take-down, I usually just finger comb out the curls and wear my hair back with a headband. They laugh at the Dominican salon when I go in for a set and don't let them blow my curls out. Their heat is just toooooo hot for me. I never even blow out my roots at home.

I lightly comb my hair back nightly and tie down with a silk scarf. That usually takes the "cap line" out of my hair.

I set with a dime size amount of Silicon mix and keep my hair super wet with plain water. Sit under pibbs for 1 hour. My hair stays moisterized for close to a week. Normally I am on medium heat. This past weekend I had it on low heat and maybe I wasn't under there long enough because the next morning my hair was frizzy (maybe it didn't dry). I just read the thread saying that you should let your hair thoroughly cool before removing rollers so I will be mindful of that.

^ I have some of those strands, i'm paranoid since I have thyroid disease and it's trying to eat my hair. That makes me feel better that it could just be new strands.

Sharifeh try to roll a little looser (when you do mohawk) just in case, but if you saw some hair with the ponytail method maybe it was just shed hairs or new hair like Bella said.

It use to take me a few hours to roll, but now I try to roll a half hr or a little over 30 mins. i'm trying to get to 20 mins, but that never works there's always a few rollers that just don't want to act right at all.

But practice practice practice.

oh yeah that heat is a killer, I never had any damage but the heat I could feel it in my soul :lachen:

that's great you eliminate blowdrying totally, better for your strands.

letting them cool is supposed to set the style, at the salon they never let me cool off they'd get right to it with the flame thrower I mean blowdryer lmao!:lachen:

What the heck - I'm in. This keeps me from being all wishy-washy with my hair - changing styles too often.

I will roll with the pink magnetic rollers. I use the caps that come with them. After the take-down, I usually just finger comb out the curls and wear my hair back with a headband. They laugh at the Dominican salon when I go in for a set and don't let them blow my curls out. Their heat is just toooooo hot for me. I never even blow out my roots at home.

I lightly comb my hair back nightly and tie down with a silk scarf. That usually takes the "cap line" out of my hair.

I set with a dime size amount of Silicon mix and keep my hair super wet with plain water. Sit under pibbs for 1 hour. My hair stays moisterized for close to a week. Normally I am on medium heat. This past weekend I had it on low heat and maybe I wasn't under there long enough because the next morning my hair was frizzy (maybe it didn't dry). I just read the thread saying that you should let your hair thoroughly cool before removing rollers so I will be mindful of that.

Ladies, I will be offline during January. I will continue roller setting, and I'll give an update when I return in February. Good luck! :)

I want to join!

I hope it's not too late to join the challenge.
Magnetic rollers

I have the KeraCare foam wrap setting lotion.

Both, but I am focusing more on health at the moment.

I will only being using a blowdyer or flatiron on my roots no sooner than 2 months into a stretch. It will probably only be for special occasions.

I will be airdrying usually and other times sitting under a bonnet dryer.

A wide tooth comb, paddle brush, and my fingers.

Hey ladies, I am very new to this rollersetting thing. I was under the impression that everytime I need to rollerset, that I need to use a setting lotion. Is this true? If not what other products can I use?

Back