Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

lol yeah, my darn mutts always have to be in the pix. ALWAYS!!! whether its their eyes, a tail poking through, or one of them far off in the corner licking their butts... THEY SEE THE CAMERA AND THEY ARE IN THE WAY!!!

i mixed one part lottabody with like 4 parts water (should have added more cause there was some crunch), a blob or 2 of HE HH. after i was done i took a little HE LTR l/i and a small amount of oil (evco, evoo, castor mixed) and applied it to the ends.... but in the pic i i dont think i added the other stuff yet.

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Too cute!

And I'm taking notes on the concoction. Ever notice that no one uses products straight on this board? We all have to tweak it with this, that and the other. :grin: Thanks. Now I need to get some rollers. Do I use pins or clips?

Help, folks.

i use those mini gator clips like these
314.jpg

but i want to try these ones instead since im so uncoordinated lol
712024526_640.jpg

i wonder if they sell them at sallys

I'd like to join!!

I've never roller set and don't have any answers to the starting questions but, I'm going to read through this thread for ideas and then will post what I plan to do. In the meantime, my starting pic is in my siggy.

Warning: I may need some hand-holding so, be prepared for lots of questions. :look:

lovely hair and starting length.

i'm not in this challenge but i randomly come in here to see if i can find tips and stuff lol. i did my my 1st successful roller set last nite so i wanted to say thanks lol

I love that ladies with really long hair can rollerset, I don't think i'll be able to rollerset my own hair correctly when it gets to your lengths.

lol this is the best pic i have of the roller set

2010-05-08003.jpg

i had some other pix but deleted them cause they just looked weird lol

this pic makes no sense, that's not real hair :lachen:very purty.

go with the slide in clips they make setting so much more easier, or the rollersetting bobby pins sold at sallys' they are heavy duty and have thick tips specifically for rollersetting.

those other clips, the white ones are mainly used for hot rollers, I have them with my jilbere hot rollers.

hth

i use those mini gator clips like these
314.jpg

but i want to try these ones instead since im so uncoordinated lol
712024526_640.jpg

i wonder if they sell them at sallys

I tried to ponytail rollerset last night... uhhh uhhh it did not work out my hair was not sleek and it took longer to dry because of the ponytail holders. I am gonna roller set again on Sunday using the mohawk like I usually do.

I just roller set my hair today in the 1st time in almost a month..It reminds me of how much I absolutely love it. It's so much bouncier and smoother. I'm going to keep doing this even though it takes an incredibly long time to roll my sides. Anyone have tips?

I just roller set my hair today in the 1st time in almost a month..It reminds me of how much I absolutely love it. It's so much bouncier and smoother. I'm going to keep doing this even though it takes an incredibly long time to roll my sides. Anyone have tips?

What method are you using on the sides now....the more often you rollerset, the faster and better you get at it! You'll be a pro in no time. Do you have any pics?

I roll the sides up, don't know if it makes it quicker though, imo w/time you get faster so eventually you will be faster at rollersetting.

Well ladies i'm 6 months post, don't know when i'm going to relax, my curls are nice but I like my sleek hair I don't care how many compliments I get on the curls I likes my hair straight lol!

I'm rollersetting maybe once every week or two weeks the other times i'm bunning or wearing a ponytail.

Great to see everyone is still keeping up with the challenge ;)

it is good to take breaks though.

Happy setting ladies.

FINALLY ended my relaxer stretch! Went 6 months, could not deal with the curls anymore.
So i'm back to rollersetting on the regular again now :)
I used Rusk Smoother as a leave in but it kind of made my hair feel like carpet, it feels softer now after wrapping and overnight but it appears to have worked better on my curly newgrowth than for straight styles, or maybe I put too much..........confused.

^^Did you say you relaxed??? How did your hair turn out and how my h progress did you make? 6 months will be my limit too. Lol! I luv me some straight hair!

^^Did you say you relaxed??? How did your hair turn out and how my h progress did you make? 6 months will be my limit too. Lol! I luv me some straight hair!

I really prefer straight hair too looks better on me, yeah I relaxed I don't like curly hair my moms co-worker was like "why do you relax" i'm like do you see how thick this hair is? it doesn't matter if it curls up that's alot of work, detangling, moisture products, too long to detangle :lachen::nono: good thing is my hair is still behaving and healthy no breakage and the crown is almost meeting up with the rest of the back of my hair so I guess I did make progress in other spots that were lacking.........take that thyroid :rolleyes:!!!

imo I didn't make as much progress as I thought i'd make thought i'd be bsl, don't even care anymore to tell you the truth, i'm going to experiment with clip in extensions to fake bsl sometimes :lachen:until i'm there maybe after next stretch, i'll try to relax again around Nov 10'.......BUT if it's a really hot summer i'll just relax regularly for the summer and stretch over the winter till it gets hot again next yr.

sitting under the dryer with 5 flexirods..............ummmmmm how long do these things take to friggin dry!!!!!!!!!! goodness my rollerset would've been done an hr ago :(

I really prefer straight hair too looks better on me, yeah I relaxed I don't like curly hair my moms co-worker was like "why do you relax" i'm like do you see how thick this hair is? it doesn't matter if it curls up that's alot of work, detangling, moisture products, too long to detangle :lachen::nono: good thing is my hair is still behaving and healthy no breakage and the crown is almost meeting up with the rest of the back of my hair so I guess I did make progress in other spots that were lacking.........take that thyroid :rolleyes:!!!

imo I didn't make as much progress as I thought i'd make thought i'd be bsl, don't even care anymore to tell you the truth, i'm going to experiment with clip in extensions to fake bsl sometimes :lachen:until i'm there maybe after next stretch, i'll try to relax again around Nov 10'.......BUT if it's a really hot summer i'll just relax regularly for the summer and stretch over the winter till it gets hot again next yr.

I will be 6 months post in two weeks and it looks like I only have about 2 inches of new growth. That is very disappointing:-( I have been seriously eyeing those clip in extensions girl. Let me know if you get some.

Salsarisma i'm going to make my own clip ins, I have some wonderful mongolian light yaki hair and i'm going to make clip ins out of it, since my attempts to do a partial sew in is a fail continuously. If I fail at clipping in hair then hey I give up with weave hair forever, i'm bored with my hair so now i'm experimenting with weaves even though weaves are normally against my beliefs lol!

2 inches don't even feel bad, I had my growth spurt alot of yrs ago and now i'm just at the norm for growth. the body really does what it wants no matter how much deep conditioning and other crap that you do if the hair don't feel like growing fast it just won't very annoying.

ok so I love flexirods!!!! never used them before this week, now I see why the ladies on here raved about them. my only thing is using them causes my sets to take veeeeeeery long to dry not like using magnetic rollers which dry under an hr.

I will be doing another set this weekend and will post pics, also I made my little clip ins i'll post those too and how I did them (I need a video camera, flip cam or something to make ytube vids).

I have not rollerset my hair for the past couple of wks. last week I blow dried and flat ironed out of lazyness. last night I washed my hair with joico kpak poo and cond, DC with Silk elements luxury moisturizing cond and silicon mix. applied kids organics shea butter detangler,mizani coconut souffle and hot six oil braided in two braids and sat under dryer for about 15mins. I am back to wearing lacewigs for the moment.

LHL.. please post pics of your clips

OK I'm not part of the challenge however I did do my first rollerset with magnetic rollers and the curls were pretty til i combed them out but I was planning to do a silk wrap anyway because I like how much body my hair has with this method opposed to the just a wrap set. I do need another hooded dryer that will dry evenly all over my head!!!

OK I'm not part of the challenge however I did do my first rollerset with magnetic rollers and the curls were pretty til i combed them out but I was planning to do a silk wrap anyway because I like how much body my hair has with this method opposed to the just a wrap set. I do need another hooded dryer that will dry evenly all over my head!!!

eventually you will probably have to get a salon hooded dryer, they dry evenly and faster.

^^Wow, I love the clip-ins! I'm curious to learn how you made these!

I'm relaxing on the 17th and will post update photos then. Not expecting anything dramatic bc I plan to cut a bit. At least after relaxing I can get back to my weekly rollersets.

I followed a ytube vid, but I kind of had it in my mind how to do it, I used a regular sewing needle I have this super thin weave thread I bought at doctored locks.com so it went right through the regular sewing needle.

bought the clips from sallys, next time i'll order off of ebay they have better clips.

most of the hair in the pics is mine, I only place a few tracks at the bottom of my hair, next time i'll add more for longer length and eveness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXbkhsfZnYc
^ one vid but she talks too much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cVFyvN7Gtc she uses the clips I bought

hmm...my type of challenge. im in on this one.

1. What rollers will you be using? magnetic red and purple rollers
2. What products will you use to set? NTM leave in and aphogee pro-vitamin leave in
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch? length and health
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? nope. well maybe if i go to a salon.
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? hooded
6. What styling tools will you be using? wide tooth comb, fine tooth comp.

I did a rollerset this morning and it flat out sucked. I used the same products I normally use and my hair felt like carpet!!!!! :( mad as hell!!!!

then my flat ironed broke.......well I forgot I had it on left the house and it burned out! so I bought the same one at sallys but now they must've changed the quality of it for the worst! no sleek hair grrrrrrrrrrrr! now i'm gonna have to spend real money and get another flat iron.

well that's all I have to say for now.

I did a rollerset on sunday and then I flat ironed and wrapped it. I am 9wks post and silkwrap will not work my hair is so puffy at the roots. I will go back to not flat ironing the roots once I get my new wig:grin: Right now I am using some clip ins with my real hair

I actually did a rollerset Friday night on 25 week post relaxed hair!! And I didn't use any direct heat!! It came out quite nice, I must say. I did have a headband on the front to hold down my edges and crazy ng, but the rest was curly and pretty. I used a new prepoo: Joico ReNu preshampoo treatment mixed with EVOO, EVCO, Wheat Germ Oil, and Avocado Oil. My hair felt much stronger when I washed this out and I had no breakage. This is the first time in 6 months that I've had no breakage. I used a little bit of mouse and NTM Silk Touch Leave-In and Chi Silk Infusion for my leave ins. Turned out pretty good!

yeah I don't even mess with the saran wrap once I get newgrowth. I want to see the clip ins :grin:

I did a rollerset on sunday and then I flat ironed and wrapped it. I am 9wks post and silkwrap will not work my hair is so puffy at the roots. I will go back to not flat ironing the roots once I get my new wig:grin: Right now I am using some clip ins with my real hair

glad to hear no breakage for 6 months, I still get short hairs when I brush but oh well, as long as my crown is not short like it was.

when will you relax? I know before I said I didn't notice any growth after relaxing, but now I notice it so the 6 months did pay off, guess I had to let the hair settle into being relaxed again.

You will probably go through the same thing when you relax. i'm still kind of mad I relaxed I wanted to go longer.

I actually did a rollerset Friday night on 25 week post relaxed hair!! And I didn't use any direct heat!! It came out quite nice, I must say. I did have a headband on the front to hold down my edges and crazy ng, but the rest was curly and pretty. I used a new prepoo: Joico ReNu preshampoo treatment mixed with EVOO, EVCO, Wheat Germ Oil, and Avocado Oil. My hair felt much stronger when I washed this out and I had no breakage. This is the first time in 6 months that I've had no breakage. I used a little bit of mouse and NTM Silk Touch Leave-In and Chi Silk Infusion for my leave ins. Turned out pretty good!

Right now I'm loving my natural roots but I hate my thin, fine relaxed ends - I'm itching to BC but holding out. I hope KBB leave ins will help me manage the two textures a little bit better!

Back