Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

just did a rollerset. im under the dryer right now. i hope this comes out well. this is probably my fourth or fifth rollerset i've done on my own. saw some breakage while detangling but its significantly less than what i saw three weeks ago. then im going to pin curl my hair.

try to find thickening products for your relaxed parts, I think on one of these pages I listed a bunch of products for thickness, pantene has some thickening stuff.

hth

Right now I'm loving my natural roots but I hate my thin, fine relaxed ends - I'm itching to BC but holding out. I hope KBB leave ins will help me manage the two textures a little bit better!

ladies at the end of this month will be our 2nd round of updates :)
I personally must say I think the rollersetting is the reason why my crown and nape grew back,

that and all the deep conditioning and sticking to my protein schedule.

Sorry, I've not posted in this thread for ages. :blush:

Still roller setting as ever, achieved some okay growth, will be touching up again in September.

Lovely pics longhairlover :yep:

after a few weeks of adjusting to relaxed hair again I realize I ended up with good length ;)

It's just the whole rollersetting in the heat. I now try to rollerset on days when it's in the 80's or late night when it's in the 60-70's.

Can you sign me up for the next two 3 month intervals please? So I'll be participating in this challenge from now until the end, Dec 2010.
1. What rollers will you be using?
plastic mesh rollers
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
homemade setting lotion made with bottled water and a few drops of EVCO
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)?
length and health
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?
no; no direct heat at all
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer?
hooded dryer, I will try airdrying after a relaxer only
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc)
big tooth comb, I rollerwrap my hair religiously
I'm brand new to all of this but excited also.

after a few weeks of adjusting to relaxed hair again I realize I ended up with good length ;)

It's just the whole rollersetting in the heat. I now try to rollerset on days when it's in the 80's or late night when it's in the 60-70's.

I've been roller setting very early in the morning. It's a big of a drag getting up early but at least it's relatively cool for me. :)

i just roller set with the roller pins for the first time. this is bad. im going back to the cover thingys. i can feel my hair frizzing as i sit under this dryer.

I have not rollerset in about 2wks but I will be getting my hair done at the salon this week and I will be updating pics too. I need a little dusting on my ends

Attempting my first roller set as I type. Gotta say, the Dominicans make it look so easy. For me...not so much. :nono:

And to add insult to injury, I'm using one of these tabletop type hood dryers. So why am I all scrunched up in one of my daughter's fold out Princess chairs looking all crazy trying to fit?? And my buns are paying the price. For the record, a Princess chair is NOT made for a Queen. :nono: And worse of all, I'm not moving because it took too long to find a way to set up and fit under. Really ladies...what the?!?!?!:rolleyes: My hair better be fiya when I come out from under this hood! :look:

And to add insult to injury, I'm using one of these tabletop type hood dryers. So why am I all scrunched up in one of my daughter's fold out Princess chairs looking all crazy trying to fit?? And my buns are paying the price. For the record, a Princess chair is NOT made for a Queen. :nono: And worse of all, I'm not moving because it took too long to find a way to set up and fit under. Really ladies...what the?!?!?!:rolleyes: My hair better be fiya when I come out from under this hood! :look:

Ok, I'm not officially in the challenge but do you have a dining room chair or something. I use the tabletop dryers all the time. I just prop it up on the washroom counter and use a chair. When I was cramped for space a few years back, I sat the dryer on the window sill/ledge. It was just about to tip over but it worked.

Ok, so I rollerset last week and I used regular magnetic rollers on one side of my head and the ceramic rollers on the other side. So FINALLY you all can see a comparison of the two. I strongly recommend purchasing the ceramic rollers. I spray them with cold water and then roll my hair..this makes them less slippery. The shine is unbelievable and my hair dries much quicker now. But enough blabbling....you judge for yourself:

Side without ceramic:
101_0157.jpg

Side with ceramic:
101_0156.jpg

I will be sending out the reminder emails over the weekend for updates :)

right now my hair is curled after my flexirod set but probably next week i'll straighten it and upload pics, I think my hair has made a 360 degree change since rollersetting I guess that and the meds to regulate my thyroid have helped my nape and crown to grow back :)

this is alot of fun even though the heat had put a crutch on my rollersetting.

Hapy growth and health ladies.

hmmm I have got to give these a try thanks for posting they look nice and smooth, I had it in my mind that it wouldnt' dry sleek but you proved my theory to be incorrect :)

now all I have to do is stop being cheap and just buy them already.

Ok, so I rollerset last week and I used regular magnetic rollers on one side of my head and the ceramic rollers on the other side. So FINALLY you all can see a comparison of the two. I strongly recommend purchasing the ceramic rollers. I spray them with cold water and then roll my hair..this makes them less slippery. The shine is unbelievable and my hair dries much quicker now. But enough blabbling....you judge for yourself:

Side without ceramic:
101_0157.jpg

Side with ceramic:
101_0156.jpg

Chile you got me cracking up over here :lachen:princess table:lachen:

I use to have the same issues so I have no advice, my hair would never fully dry, the rollers would never fit under the hood just a mess.

I gave in and bought a salon dryer. I could never find the right table to use or a high enough chair.

After all this time, I am still roller setting. I know that this is much healthier for my hair but I cannot tell if its actually doing anything. What are the positive signs that your hair is responding to the roller setting?

Side without ceramic:
101_0157.jpg

Side with ceramic:
101_0156.jpg

OMG, your hair looks GREAT!
is this post perm?
and where can i find those ceramic rollers you mention? (keeping in mind that internet with int'l shipping is better...)
thanks honey, i can't wait to rollerset my hair!!!

I personally notice my ends are doing better, since i've slowed way down with blowdrying my crown grew back pretty long, normally it grows back then disappears right before my eyes again :lachen::lachen: but this time it has stuck around.

not as much breaking because the rollersets keep more moisture in my hair.

After all this time, I am still roller setting. I know that this is much healthier for my hair but I cannot tell if its actually doing anything. What are the positive signs that your hair is responding to the roller setting?

Checking in!

This was my hair on March 28, at one week post:

igm0k3.jpg

This is my hair today, at 15 weeks post. I flat ironed the roots to try to get an accurate picture:

2z4k5dw.jpg

lol, I don't think anything happened.
I've been rollersetting after every wash and DC (every two weeks), and so far, no problems with the rollersetting. They've been coming out nicely, and I don't get broken hairs when I'm done. However, I think I should go back to my weekly schedule though, because when I was doing my hair weekly, I noticed better retention and moister hair.
I'm also going to look into getting a professional trim when I get a few inches past BSL (white line). I've been making do with S&D's and dustings, but I would like a trim to even up my V a little.

no your hair grew nicely in a short time.

I hear you on not sticking to a schedule and the moisture difference.

I've been slacking too, rollersets do retain moisture, I know with the hot weather i've been putting the rollersetting on pause.

and using the *cough* blowdryer :blush:.....only sometimes ladies only sometimes

Checking in!

This was my hair on March 28, at one week post:

igm0k3.jpg

This is my hair today, at 15 weeks post. I flat ironed the roots to try to get an accurate picture:

2z4k5dw.jpg

lol, I don't think anything happened.
I've been rollersetting after every wash and DC (every two weeks), and so far, no problems with the rollersetting. They've been coming out nicely, and I don't get broken hairs when I'm done. However, I think I should go back to my weekly schedule though, because when I was doing my hair weekly, I noticed better retention and moister hair.
I'm also going to look into getting a professional trim when I get a few inches past BSL (white line). I've been making do with S&D's and dustings, but I would like a trim to even up my V a little.

Updated 07/2010:
1. What rollers will you be using? Magnetic (sizes varies depending the look it want)

2. What products will you use to set? Nairobi foam wrap, Aphogee ProVitamin leave-In, Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer, and a spray bottle filled with water.

3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Longer, thicker, fuller, and healthy hair and less split ends (so I want have to trim my ends so often).

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? Not at all, I don’t use direct heat on my hair.

5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Bonnet dryer for about 30 minutes(on low heat) and air-drying the rest of the way (while I sleep).

6. What styling tools will you be using? Wide tooth comb-to detangle and rattail comb to smooth hair while I’m rolling.

Last edited:
hi ladies!

could someone please explain this concept about the roller setting retaining moisture?

how does that work?

do you have to put oil on the hair before rollersetting or is it the water that does the trick?

i just don't get it....

thanks ladies!

OMG, your hair looks GREAT!
is this post perm?
and where can i find those ceramic rollers you mention? (keeping in mind that internet with int'l shipping is better...)
thanks honey, i can't wait to rollerset my hair!!!

Hey Grow!!! Glad you're back. The rollers are awesome. I'm about to order more as I type. I got them from http://www.birthofbeauty.com and they do have international shipping! Also try Http://www.rickycare.com. The pictures are post relaxer. I didn't gain as much as I wanted mainly bc I decided to go ahead and trim for esthetics. My update is in the APL thread before the official posting date of 6/30.

Your progress is amazing!

Last edited:
I just finished rollersetting my hair. It came out lovely, silky, and bouncy. I just luv when I remove the Saran wrap and July hair falls out of the wrap by itself from the body! I'm now using a light mist of Carol's Daughter Tui leave-in, NTM Silk-Touch, a dime sized dab of Chi Silk ainfusium, and a little Nairobi foam wrap for hold. I roll my hair and apply heat protectant before getting under the dryer. Hasn't failed me yet!

Side without ceramic:
101_0157.jpg

Side with ceramic:
101_0156.jpg

I will DEFINITELY hop on this!!!!!!!!!! :yep:

Back