Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

Hey Grow!!! Glad you're back. The rollers are awesome. I'm about to order more as I type. I got them from http://www.birthofbeauty.com and they do have international shipping! Also try Http://www.rickycare.com. The pictures are post relaxer. I didn't gain as much as I wanted mainly bc I decided to go ahead and trim for esthetics. My update is in the APL thread before the official posting date of 6/30.

Your progress is amazing!

I just finished rollersetting my hair. It came out lovely, silky, and bouncy. I just luv when I remove the Saran wrap and July hair falls out of the wrap by itself from the body! I'm now using a light mist of Carol's Daughter Tui leave-in, NTM Silk-Touch, a dime sized dab of Chi Silk ainfusium, and a little Nairobi foam wrap for hold. I roll my hair and apply heat protectant before getting under the dryer. Hasn't failed me yet!

Thank you Salsrisma! My good ol' stretching buddy!
believe me, when i first took my hair to the perm after our stretch, i really didn't see that it had done all the good folks talk about. yep, my hair had grown, but it would have done that anyway, is how i thought. but weeks AFTER my perm, it's like my hair got a boost! so look out sugar, you're hair is about to turbo boost! (although i looked for your pics in the APL thread and haven't found them yet.....(?)....)

and THANK YOU not only for those links, but the breakdown on how to get those soft feeling, bouncy silky curls from these sets!
i can't wait to try it!
i'm back in in my baggy buns until those rollers and products arrive, then i hope to have something good to report!
thanks so much for sharing this with us!:yep:

Chile you got me cracking up over here :lachen:princess table:lachen:

I use to have the same issues so I have no advice, my hair would never fully dry, the rollers would never fit under the hood just a mess.

I gave in and bought a salon dryer. I could never find the right table to use or a high enough chair.

LOL! Right, longhairlover! I use to sit on a wooden fold up chair on top of two blankets and my daughter's boppy pillow...and that's with a salon dryer. My DH felt sorry for me and purchased the Pibbs Dryer Chair. Now I have a salon dryer chair and the dryer pops in the back of the chair. I can finally sleep under the dryer!

Thank you Salsrisma! My good ol' stretching buddy!
believe me, when i first took my hair to the perm after our stretch, i really didn't see that it had done all the good folks talk about. yep, my hair had grown, but it would have done that anyway, is how i thought. but weeks AFTER my perm, it's like my hair got a boost! so look out sugar, you're hair is about to turbo boost! (although i looked for your pics in the APL thread and haven't found them yet.....(?)....)

and THANK YOU not only for those links, but the breakdown on how to get those soft feeling, bouncy silky curls from these sets!
i can't wait to try it!
i'm back in in my baggy buns until those rollers and products arrive, then i hope to have something good to report!
thanks so much for sharing this with us!:yep:

I hope you are right! I will say that for the first time in my life, I felt new growth 1 week after relaxing. Hopefully I get a boost or I'm not going to make APL by Dec 31:sad:

I hope you like those rollers. My sets always come out great. My APL update is post #1301. HHG!

I hope you are right! I will say that for the first time in my life, I felt new growth 1 week after relaxing. Hopefully I get a boost or I'm not going to make APL by Dec 31:sad:

I hope you like those rollers. My sets always come out great. My APL update is post #1301. HHG!

I FOUND THEM!!!
thanks, while you were writing, i was back paging to them....!
i think you have done an excellent job!!!:yep:
it takes alot of courage to cut off damaged hair and i applaud you!
and when i saw how bushy thick and dense your nape is, i really had a hard time imagining you ever having had a nape issue at all!
that 6 months of care has really paid off fabulously!
congratulations sugar, that is one of the most difficult areas for us all and you are winning it! now get ready for that "turbo boost"! you're definitely gonna see it happen!:yep:

I think i'm going to quickly try and rollerset my hair before it reaches 100 degrees today.

Update is coming sometime ladies lol! I know some of us have been slipping but I expected it during these months with the crazy heat.

oh you bought the dryer chair, I need to get a dryer chair i'm just using my ikea chair.

I love my dryer BUT the visor is trying to fall the heck apart, just a mess.

That's what I get for going the cheap ol discount route :wallbash:

and your right it seems like the hair is growing back faster after a rollerset.

I didn't have fast growth like you though where after a week but it is 1/2 an inch of hair quicker than before.

LOL! Right, longhairlover! I use to sit on a wooden fold up chair on top of two blankets and my daughter's boppy pillow...and that's with a salon dryer. My DH felt sorry for me and purchased the Pibbs Dryer Chair. Now I have a salon dryer chair and the dryer pops in the back of the chair. I can finally sleep under the dryer!

oh you bought the dryer chair, I need to get a dryer chair i'm just using my ikea chair.

I love my dryer BUT the visor is trying to fall the heck apart, just a mess.

That's what I get for going the cheap ol discount route :wallbash:

and your right it seems like the hair is growing back faster after a rollerset.

I didn't have fast growth like you though where after a week but it is 1/2 an inch of hair quicker than before.

Yes, girl, my husband got the chair for me. He felt so sorry for me with my rigged up chair. I'm glad that you shared your Pebco visor "experience" with us all. I was considering getting one. I don't know what to do. I have the Sally Venus dryer and it works fine and dries well, but I'm thinking about getting a Pibbs...but Idk if the Pibbs would be much better???

Yes, girl, my husband got the chair for me. He felt so sorry for me with my rigged up chair. I'm glad that you shared your Pebco visor "experience" with us all. I was considering getting one. I don't know what to do. I have the Sally Venus dryer and it works fine and dries well, but I'm thinking about getting a Pibbs...but Idk if the Pibbs would be much better???

honey, ask Angelicus about the Pibbs! she has ALL THE INFO!
she got one from salonsrus and absolutely loves it!
drop her a pm, she will surely fill you in!:yep:

I love roller setting because it gives me an excuse to sit under my salon hair dryer from Salonsrus! OMG I love her!

1. What rollers will you be using? flexi rods

2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.) aloe vera jel

3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)?
Lenght and health

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?
Maybe not sure yet.

5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer?
Bonnet dryer

6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc)
Regular size comb

but I am going to attempt to use magnetic rollers soon :)

i'd like to join for the 3 month

Ok, I keep lurking in this thread cuz I SOOO want to do this challenge. I love the end result of a good set.

Lately, I have been rollersetting on the weekends (typically on Sat) and pin curl during the week. Love it!

But I need help with a dilemma of incorporating exercise back into my life. My old exercise regimen was to workout for 6 days a week and co washed on the sweat days (equals every other day for me). But is it even worth the time and effort to rollerset on Sat, rest on Sun from working out, then go back to sweating in my scalp during the week only to wash away the pretty set I only had for maybe two days?

I can't stand the salt in my scalp but I'm getting tired of the airdry thing. I love airdrying but I can totally see a difference in how my hair responds to a rollerset in comparison to being airdried.

Any suggestions would be appreciated before I dive into this challenge.

But I need help with a dilemma of incorporating exercise back into my life. My old exercise regimen was to workout for 6 days a week and co washed on the sweat days (equals every other day for me). But is it even worth the time and effort to rollerset on Sat, rest on Sun from working out, then go back to sweating in my scalp during the week only to wash away the pretty set I only had for maybe two days?

I can't stand the salt in my scalp but I'm getting tired of the airdry thing. I love airdrying but I can totally see a difference in how my hair responds to a rollerset in comparison to being airdried.

Any suggestions would be appreciated before I dive into this challenge.[/QUOTE]

I don't have any suggestions because I have the same dilemma right now.:sad:

OOOHhh!!! How I want to join this challenge!

Dilemma: I am a natural 4a/b (with BKT). I'm not sure if I can even get my hair straight with a rollerset..... :blush:

By any chance are there any 4a/b BKTers that rollerset (and have pics)???

I know........... am I asking for too much?:rolleyes:

I'm back on this challenge with a vengeance. I will be roller setting during my whole transition, if that is possible.:yep:

both the venus and pibbs to me are on the same level,

the guy at the bss I bought my pebco from claimed that in the bx salons some of them use the pebco, but I never saw a pebco at any, actually I never saw the pibbs at the salons either, their dryers wouldn't have a name on them but they did the job.

I'm starting to think maybe it's just the bss I bought the dryer at. Maybe it's bootleg or something. I'd really prefer to order directly from a company.

can't trust all bss owners.

you can rollerset doesn't matter if you bkt, I had asked dontspeakdefeat this same question when I was thinking of trying bkt, she said you can rollerset and do all the same things you would do with relaxed hair.

so you should be good.

OOOHhh!!! How I want to join this challenge!

Dilemma: I am a natural 4a/b (with BKT). I'm not sure if I can even get my hair straight with a rollerset..... :blush:

By any chance are there any 4a/b BKTers that rollerset (and have pics)???

I know........... am I asking for too much?:rolleyes:

I swear i'm going to post update pics, I just have had to take a break from rollersetting because it's just been too darn hot and ya'll know I have thyroid issues too which affects my heat regulation at times.

just toooooo hot! even with the ac! argh!

ok ladies, today i told myself i would try to do the rollersetting while my hair is still fresh from my perm (just 2 weeks ago).

i agree with you about the heat, though, longhairlover!

but let's try.....

Hey ladies,

I am sorry that I took so long with the update as I have been super busy but here it is. My hair has grown but I accidentaly cut some of it when i was taking down a weave but I know that it will grow back.

Attachments

• 3rd lenght check.jpg
    3rd lenght check.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 12
ok ladies, today i told myself i would try to do the rollersetting while my hair is still fresh from my perm (just 2 weeks ago).

i agree with you about the heat, though, longhairlover!

but let's try.....

Come on Grow! You can do it. I was sweating my tail off under the dryer last week! Lol! But I still plan on doing my 30 minute DC under the dryer followed by my 1 hour rollerset under there! The things we do for our hair...it's def the most pampered part of my body! I better be at least BSL by the end of next year!

Ooh and I got my Lacio Lacio in the mail so I get to try a rollerset with that tonight!

Well I dont know If I'm in or not but I tried to rollerset without twisting for the first time.

I also got a stand alone salon dryer off of craiglist for forty bucks- couldnt stand the bonnet dryer one more day!

Sorry it sucks but I will get better!

Next time I am going to try magnetic rollers.

Attachments

• IMG00442.jpg
    IMG00442.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG00446.jpg
    IMG00446.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG00443.jpg
    IMG00443.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 23
Come on Grow! You can do it. I was sweating my tail off under the dryer last week! Lol! But I still plan on doing my 30 minute DC under the dryer followed by my 1 hour rollerset under there! The things we do for our hair...it's def the most pampered part of my body! I better be at least BSL by the end of next year!

Ooh and I got my Lacio Lacio in the mail so I get to try a rollerset with that tonight!

hi Salsarisma! darling you are just so sweet to encourage me like that, thank you!:yep:

but today i tried my rollerset and understand even more why i was so weary.....this heat totally flopped it!:ohwell:

i had even done a saran wrap under the dryer for 15 minutes, but to absolutely no use.:perplexed

but at least i have your gawgeous pictures of your fab rollerset to look at and drool over!:yep:

i'm hoping to wait it out for my rollerset and cross my fingers for september's rollerset hair-do's....:rolleyes:

i'll add you to the list.

you found a salon dryer on craigslist that cheap :blush: lucky you.

your set doesn't look bad at all.

Well I dont know If I'm in or not but I tried to rollerset without twisting for the first time.

I also got a stand alone salon dryer off of craiglist for forty bucks- couldnt stand the bonnet dryer one more day!

Sorry it sucks but I will get better!

Next time I am going to try magnetic rollers.

I started back rollersetting, but no deep conditioning, when I rollerset now i'm practically sitting under the a.c. it hasn't been bad like I thought it would be.

I remember sitting under the dryers at the dominican salons in ny and the back of my shirt being soaking wet because of the hot salon and no a.c.

hi Salsarisma! darling you are just so sweet to encourage me like that, thank you!:yep:

but today i tried my rollerset and understand even more why i was so weary.....this heat totally flopped it!:ohwell:

i had even done a saran wrap under the dryer for 15 minutes, but to absolutely no use.:perplexed

but at least i have your gawgeous pictures of your fab rollerset to look at and drool over!:yep:

i'm hoping to wait it out for my rollerset and cross my fingers for september's rollerset hair-do's....:rolleyes:

Ohhh....yes, the heat will flop those curls to nothing! Mine always turns into a silk wrap after two days! LOL! And you can't sweat AT ALL when trying to do a saran wrap or it defeats the purpose and puffs your hair back up. I normally only sit under the dryer for 5 minutes with saran wrap so that I don't start sweating.

I'll be waiting for those pictures in September. Did you get the cermic rollers?

Back