Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

i just have a question:

what's the longest post perm (so yes, dealing with the ng) anyone has gone and done a rollerset that's turned out well, meaning: not lost a bunch of hair?
The last good rollerset I did was on 16 week post relaxer hair. I would have kept going with my weekly rollersets, but I got cornrows instead. I plan to take these cornrows out after 3-4 weeks and "attempt" a rollerset on 21 week post relaxer hair.

I think longhairlover has stretched for long periods while rollersetting.

The last good rollerset I did was on 16 week post relaxer hair. I would have kept going with my weekly rollersets, but I got cornrows instead. I plan to take these cornrows out after 3-4 weeks and "attempt" a rollerset on 21 week post relaxer hair.

I think longhairlover has stretched for long periods while rollersetting.

wow, thanks Salsarisma! 16 weeks is an incredible accomplishment!
CONGRATULATIONS!

like many ladies have found, my hair too, seemed so much drier with rollersets and trying to get that lil bit of oil in there without having my hair plastered to my head became too much trouble, so i had kinda given up.....i'm 14 weeks post now, but will texlax in 2, so you've given me new hope to try again.

also, thanks for the heads up on longhairlover!

but do you ladies actually comb your hair this far post, or do you just part it with the stick part of the comb and/or fingers...:rolleyes:

Mzsophisticated,

Could the Chi Keratin Mist be the culprit? It is a hair strenghtner and contains protein, which can leave the hair dry/dull. When I rollerset, the results are bouncy and shiny...but I only apply NTM Silk Touch Leave In and a dab of Chi Silk Infusion to my ends.

Maybe you should try one without the Keratin and see if that makes a difference.

I did a few sets without the Keratin mist when I ran out and they were even worse:sad: I just started back using the keratin mist to give some body. I have tried just using water and shea butter oil. Then I tried just lacio lacio and spritz with water. The only thing I have not changed is the hardhat dryer. When I go to the salon she only uses a spray bottle with diluted lotta body and he has done my rollers while I was 10wks post before she does not even use heat protectan and my hair is nice and looks moisturized. I think I need to budget for a new dryer.

wow, thanks Salsarisma! 16 weeks is an incredible accomplishment!
CONGRATULATIONS!

like many ladies have found, my hair too, seemed so much drier with rollersets and trying to get that lil bit of oil in there without having my hair plastered to my head became too much trouble, so i had kinda given up.....i'm 14 weeks post now, but will texlax in 2, so you've given me new hope to try again.

also, thanks for the heads up on longhairlover!

but do you ladies actually comb your hair this far post, or do you just part it with the stick part of the comb and/or fingers...:rolleyes:

Grow,

Thanks...this is the longest I've ever gone without a relaxer!! I still comb my hair this far post. When I rollerset, I detangle with my wide tooth rake bone comb....then I use the rattail comb on each section to make sure my hair is tangle free and smooth. I never have a problem with the new growth...it's usually very soft from my pre-poo treatment and dc anyways.

What leave-ins are you using for rollersets?

thanks for the info!

the only leave-in i'm using at the moment is Giovanni Direct Leave-In.

might i ask which pre-poo and dc you use?

my ng is like a brillo pad if i don't use oil rinses.

thanks for the info!

the only leave-in i'm using at the moment is Giovanni Direct Leave-In.

might i ask which pre-poo and dc you use?

my ng is like a brillo pad if i don't use oil rinses.

Sure girl...mine might be overkill though, but hey-it works for me! I mix AOHSR, Evoo, Evco, Avocado Oil, Burt's Bees Avocado butter, and a dab of honey together. If it's too thick, I add Tresseme Moisture Rich Condish to thin out the mixture. I part my hair into 4 sections and apply this root to tip, wrap with Saran wrap for about an hour before shampooing. I then DC with UBH(it's expensive, but it works) under the dryer for 30 minutes. Rinse the DC out and follow up with a quick cheapie condish for slip.
I have never had a dry looking roller set. I tried HE Ltr(set was mushy) and Narobi foam wrap mixed with water and my sets were always crunchy. I've found that NTM and Chi Silk give me the best results. Keep trying for that perfect set! The product mix makes all the difference!

I did a yr a long time ago, went well got lots of growth. But I was going to the salons for wash and sets, it's just all about finding detangling conditioner and leave in.

i just have a question:

what's the longest post perm (so yes, dealing with the ng) anyone has gone and done a rollerset that's turned out well, meaning: not lost a bunch of hair?

Thank you for that recipie, Salsarisma!!!
yes, that sounds "thick" but i've damaged my hair too much with heat, which is why i'm here trying to learn, so it could never be overkill.
(i'm assuming the evco is extremely virgin castor oil)
i love the AO HSR but now, thanks to you, i'm going to try it with the oils inside!
i always thought it was enough on it's own, but not having added oils&honey might be why my hair gets so dry.
that parting the hair in 4 sections i think is key, too, because maybe i missed some pieces of hair before.
i'm gonna look up the UBH..(never heard of it, but i'm a newbie)
you are right girlie, before i give up totally, i need to try some different combos! thanks!

I did a yr a long time ago, went well got lots of growth. But I was going to the salons for wash and sets, it's just all about finding detangling conditioner and leave in.

uh, excuse me, Longhairlover, you did WHAT???!!!:thud:(sorry, i just read that and fell out of my chair my jaw hit the ground so fast!)

maybe we're not referring to the same thing, but are you really saying you went a YEAR post perm WHILE being able to STILL do rollersets?!
however, thanks for your post because it certainly says alot about stretching, too!
if by chance you were really referring to detangling conditioner's and leave-in's that helped you to do this (and yep, i'm still wondering if we're talking about the same thing because it is really DIFFICULT, at least for me), will you please share which products helped you to accomplish this incredibly amazing feat?

thank you ladies! you are restoring my faith in rollersets!

yeah, now that I think about it I don't know how I did it, my newgrowth now is a fussy fool maybe it's because i'm doing it myself it's stress.

at the end of the yr long stretch I had cornrows done for a month then I gave up and relaxed, but it was a yr maybe my hair was softer then or something.

my staple was garnier fructise (sp) sleek line even though it would make me itch, and I would use softsheen anti breakage line, don't even know if that product is still around but those products helped to detangle my hair, I also think that was my growing spurt time, because it doesnt seem like that has ever happened again :ohwell: with a stretch.

the one woman I was going to when I was still in nyc was really good she could get my hair really straight without a struggle i'd try other places and they looked scared lmao like wtf is this! get a perm! lol! and they would be sweating and all but my favorite person didn't break a sweat.

Thank you for that recipie, Salsarisma!!!
yes, that sounds "thick" but i've damaged my hair too much with heat, which is why i'm here trying to learn, so it could never be overkill.
(i'm assuming the evco is extremely virgin castor oil)
i love the AO HSR but now, thanks to you, i'm going to try it with the oils inside!
i always thought it was enough on it's own, but not having added oils&honey might be why my hair gets so dry.
that parting the hair in 4 sections i think is key, too, because maybe i missed some pieces of hair before.
i'm gonna look up the UBH..(never heard of it, but i'm a newbie)
you are right girlie, before i give up totally, i need to try some different combos! thanks!

uh, excuse me, Longhairlover, you did WHAT???!!!:thud:(sorry, i just read that and fell out of my chair my jaw hit the ground so fast!)

maybe we're not referring to the same thing, but are you really saying you went a YEAR post perm WHILE being able to STILL do rollersets?!
however, thanks for your post because it certainly says alot about stretching, too!
if by chance you were really referring to detangling conditioner's and leave-in's that helped you to do this (and yep, i'm still wondering if we're talking about the same thing because it is really DIFFICULT, at least for me), will you please share which products helped you to accomplish this incredibly amazing feat?

thank you ladies! you are restoring my faith in rollersets!

Attempted my second ponytail roller set and pin curled my hair and went straight to bed. I do not know what happened with this set b/c the curls were off somehow. Next week, I will try the mohawk method with a ponytail roller set and see if my results are better.

did a rollerset yesterday and it came out alright. My hair felt great after it was dried and the curls were cute. Still at it!

I did a rollerset and changed up my products. I washed with CON and conditioned with Skala Aloe Vera and ceramide g3. I applied some kids organics shea butter detangler and Organix coconut milk serum then sprayed my hair with water while rollersetting. I dry wrap with Saran wrap under dryer for 10mins. My hair came out silky and not dry. Yaaay:grin: However I still experienced a lot of broken hairs when combing down my hair. The Organix coconut milk serum did the trick. Next week I want to try a flexi rod set... ETA here is a pic I took

wan59s.jpg

Last edited:
I've been lurking this challenge. I rollerset a lot, but sometimes I get lazy and bun or bantu knot instead, so I didn't want to join officially.

Tools:
7/8", 1 1/8", 1 1/2", & 1 3/4" Diane mesh rollers, orange, blue, violet, and pink respectively
3" roller picks
Denman brush
Roller net

Products:
Rosewater and/or distilled water
Lacio Lacio leave in
GVP Chi Silk Infusion

Drying:
Air dry over night always

HHG ladies

Just checking in. I'm still in cornrows, but I'm with you ladies in spirit! Has anyone tried both NTM Silk Touch Leave In and Lacio Lacio?? I'm wondering how the two compare. NTM works great, but I'm hearing wonderful things about Lacio Lacio too.

I have been on this challenge for a while and so I've been experimenting with setting lotions and potions. Last RS I use chi and water it came out beautiful but only lasted 2 days soooo I wet it and set it again using glaze water and chi and it lasted 2 more days. I really don't like the lotta body cause it makes my hair crunchy and dry which I think caused me some breakage so I have 2 questions. I have fine hair

What do you do with ur hair at night?
How do you moisturize fine hair without losing the curls?

You can post pics throughout the challenge, I think the pics help everyone on how to rollerset and it's fun. The progress pics are every several months but please post your pics whenever you want :). I love to see hair pics.

**This is also a support group for us rollersetters so any questions please post them here even if your not in the challenge. ;)

Cool - I love what I have seen so far but I'm wondering if you could ask one or more questions like (hair type/texture - natural or relaxed etc.). I'm natural and I tried to rollerset my hair 2 or 3 times and each time it was a disaster. I'm not a rollersetter or not an accomplished one that's why I won't join just yet:blush:! I want to try a trial run a few times to see how it goes but it will help if I could see how the naturals do it - those with tightly coiled tresses:yep:. Thanks!

very nice, those skala products sound great. from the looks of your hair i'd say they must work great.

I did a rollerset and changed up my products. I washed with CON and conditioned with Skala Aloe Vera and ceramide g3. I applied some kids organics shea butter detangler and Organix coconut milk serum then sprayed my hair with water while rollersetting. I dry wrap with Saran wrap under dryer for 10mins. My hair came out silky and not dry. Yaaay:grin: However I still experienced a lot of broken hairs when combing down my hair. The Organix coconut milk serum did the trick. Next week I want to try a flexi rod set... ETA here is a pic I took

wan59s.jpg

I think there are a few naturals in the challenge hopefully they will respond with advice for you. Alot of us are also stretching so we can probably give the same advice.

The main advice I give everyone is finding the right conditioner to detangle the hair, with your tight coilies don't pull them tight by trying to get the hair straight you don't want breakage.

I blow my roots out or flat iron them but with natural hair or months of newgrowth i'd use a round brush to get the roots straight. The rest of the hair natural or not I notice is the easiest to get straight it's just those curls at the roots that are a problem.

hth and i'm sure others will chime in.

Cool - I love what I have seen so far but I'm wondering if you could ask one or more questions like (hair type/texture - natural or relaxed etc.). I'm natural and I tried to rollerset my hair 2 or 3 times and each time it was a disaster. I'm not a rollersetter or not an accomplished one that's why I won't join just yet:blush:! I want to try a trial run a few times to see how it goes but it will help if I could see how the naturals do it - those with tightly coiled tresses:yep:. Thanks!

I can't think of any products right now :( but if you can find a moisturizing mist to keep your hair moisturized. I just bought Garniers mist leave in maybe try that, i'll post again after I use it on whether or not it weighed my hair down.

imo stay away from setting lotions, they make hair tooooo darn crunchy, I just use leave in conditioners and my hair comes out soft, also before I comb any of my hair out I put frizz ease on my hair to soften the hair up a bit more so that I don't get breakage when I comb the curls out.

hth.

I have been on this challenge for a while and so I've been experimenting with setting lotions and potions. Last RS I use chi and water it came out beautiful but only lasted 2 days soooo I wet it and set it again using glaze water and chi and it lasted 2 more days. I really don't like the lotta body cause it makes my hair crunchy and dry which I think caused me some breakage so I have 2 questions. I have fine hair

What do you do with ur hair at night?
How do you moisturize fine hair without losing the curls?

haven't been rollersetting as much because i'm about to toss my dryer out the window, the visor is out to get me and it's only but so far away from falling off completely!

next dryer will be a pibbs pls disregard all my big ups to the pebco dryer, it dries great BUT that dang visor!

also I have low tolerance for heat in the summer (thyroid) so I may not be doing them as much.
also I may relax soon tired of the newgrowth.

I'd like to join!!

I've never roller set and don't have any answers to the starting questions but, I'm going to read through this thread for ideas and then will post what I plan to do. In the meantime, my starting pic is in my siggy.

Warning: I may need some hand-holding so, be prepared for lots of questions. :look:

I'd like to join!!

I've never roller set and don't have any answers to the starting questions but, I'm going to read through this thread for ideas and then will post what I plan to do. In the meantime, my starting pic is in my siggy.

Warning: I may need some hand-holding so, be prepared for lots of questions. :look:

Welcome to the challenge NJoy.Your hair is gawgeous!!! When I first joined this challenge, I had never rollerset before either. I suggest Lady Elle's Rollersetting Tutorial on Youtube...I can't find the link and this one is good too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctnIUAGrw48&feature=youtube_gdata

Good luck and let us know how your first set comes out!

i'm not in this challenge but i randomly come in here to see if i can find tips and stuff lol. i did my my 1st successful roller set last nite so i wanted to say thanks lol

i'm not in this challenge but i randomly come in here to see if i can find tips and stuff lol. i did my my 1st successful roller set last nite so i wanted to say thanks lol

Yay! I don't suppose you have a pic or two to post, huh? :lick:

lol yeah, my darn mutts always have to be in the pix. ALWAYS!!! whether its their eyes, a tail poking through, or one of them far off in the corner licking their butts... THEY SEE THE CAMERA AND THEY ARE IN THE WAY!!!

i mixed one part lottabody with like 4 parts water (should have added more cause there was some crunch), a blob or 2 of HE HH. after i was done i took a little HE LTR l/i and a small amount of oil (evco, evoo, castor mixed) and applied it to the ends.... but in the pic i i dont think i added the other stuff yet.

Back