Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

nice progress another successful rollersetter!!!! :grin: yay!

***3mth updates**** I have noticed some increase to thickness from rollersetting but I am still struggling with my technique it seems like my hair is so dry afterwards. I try not to add alot of products because my fine hair will be weighed down. I am happy to see I am getting closer to APL!!

This is were I started January 2010
25i55wp.jpg

Here is after my trim in February 2010
iw6jip.jpg
op8qs.jpg

Here is March 2010 update. (i did not do a good flat iron so my hair looks uneven)
n3kuon.jpg

Checking in....I did my second rollerset yesterday and while it turned out better than my first attempt I am not satisfied with it. My hair lacked any type of sheen/shine and looked extremely dull not like the sets my stylist does. Tomorrow, I am going to my stylist for a roller set and will make notes on how she does it and try to duplicate at home again next week.

ETA: I just watched Lorraine's youtube videos and will try roller setting my hair up instead of down and seeing if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Checking in....I did my second rollerset yesterday and while it turned out better than my first attempt I am not satisfied with it. My hair lacked any type of sheen/shine and looked extremely dull not like the sets my stylist does. Tomorrow, I am going to my stylist for a roller set and will make notes on how she does it and try to duplicate at home again next week.

ETA: I just watched Lorraine's youtube videos and will try roller setting my hair up instead of down and seeing if that makes a difference.

just back from the salon and got a roller set from my stylist. I will attempt to roller set again next week either Wednesday or Thursday.

Alright ladies, I was finally able to easily rollerset my hair and ready to start this challenge. I've always been a roller setter (word? who cares). But until about this year I stopped going to the salon and just flat ironed because it was easier to do. Last week I went home and paid close attention to my stylist down there and finally did it yesterday and was very happy about how it came out! My hair is nice and soft and I'm a happy camper.

1. What rollers will you be using? red and purple
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
moroccanoil styling creme, he ltr, infusium moisturoligie, chi keratin mist, organix coconut serum. Hopefully I will be able to use up my leave ins up because I have quite a few of them
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? both
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? I will be using the flat iron
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer?airdrying until i can get my moms old hooded dryer which is in a couple weeks
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc)
fine tooth comb, shower comb, rollers, a net and clips

chelleyp I love your pic with the twists.
ladies I did my first weave, so I won't be rollersetting my full head of real hair, but I will still be rollersetting my leave out, (if that counts lol). i'll be back in May in full effect just want to give my hair a break for the rest of April.

I'm taking a break too. My puffy new growth is winning the battle right now. I'm getting cornrows in tomorrow. I'll probably get them done twice between now and June when I relax, but I'll be checking in here periodically! HHG!

I know I am super late posting an update, I hardly ever straighten my hair anymore. Here goes. The first photo is from Jan 1st, 2010. The second photo is from today, April 13, 2010.

IMG_2770-vi.jpg

IMG_1094-vi.jpg

Hi...I'm going to help my friend roller set her hair and I was wondering if you have any tips??? We're determined to get her hair healthy. So tomorrow we will wash, possibly do a protein treatment, deep condition, and roller set. Can we use hawaiian silky for her roller set???

WOW!!!! It is has grown and it is looking very shiny and thick. :grin: Great progress!!!!

I know I am super late posting an update, I hardly ever straighten my hair anymore. Here goes. The first photo is from Jan 1st, 2010. The second photo is from today, April 13, 2010.

IMG_2770-vi.jpg

IMG_1094-vi.jpg

Thanks!!! I've been trying to be more diligent with my hair practices this year. My hair has always been healthy and grows pretty good, but I wanted to step it up a notch this time around when I grew my hair back out.

love your update! your hair looked healthy before but it's grown alot and very healthy looking congrats!

I personally never used hawaiian s for my sets but I think other women do, since your trying it out just try not to use too much, make sure the hair is detangled, has lots of slip to it, and applying it smoothly to the rollers.

Hi...I'm going to help my friend roller set her hair and I was wondering if you have any tips??? We're determined to get her hair healthy. So tomorrow we will wash, possibly do a protein treatment, deep condition, and roller set. Can we use hawaiian silky for her roller set???

Hi. I did put some recent pics up on my fotki. I don't know how to post pictures. I really hope I can make my goal by the end of the year. I have had to cut a lot of damage off and I still feel very sad about it. The pics in this thread give me hope. Thank you.

^ is your damage worse than my earlier pics? it's better to just get rid of it, you did the right thing. I hate to sometimes go back to sq 1 but its worth it in the end.

sometimes hair just has a mind of it's own.

Checking in for today ladies.....I am proud to say that I did my first successful roller set & saran wrap earlier this morning. I plan on doing 2 a week and will hopefully speed up my time(that dryer heat is brutal).

Here are a few recent pics. (2 weeks old)
Thanks again to longhairlover. Rollersets rule!

Sorry about the durty mirror.

Attachments

• calimakeup 392.jpg
    calimakeup 392.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 36
  • calimakeup 418.JPG
    calimakeup 418.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
i'm officially fed up with my hooded dryer! I guess you get what you pay for!
I have a pebco salon hooded dryer, now the past few weeks i've been noticing that everytime I lift the visor I hear something snap, crackle and pop!!!!

a few weeks ago it was a piece of the visor where the spring is inside the dryer it snapped,

then just now the dang spring pop out itself, so now my dryer visor is loose, so I know next will be the visor to pop!

I'm not working so that's why I bought this dryer to save a few bucks, but this dryer is literally about to pop off on me! I had contacted the manufacturer before about a crack I found in the visor flip area and they said take it back to where I bought it (gee thanks) so I did and the owner of the store gave me a whole new dryer hood. but now this one has little things that are important popping off left and freaking right!!!!! I dont know what to do. and rollersetting has really helped to keep my hair extremely healthy vs blowdrying all the time :(

p'd off right now had to vent!

i just have a question:

what's the longest post perm (so yes, dealing with the ng) anyone has gone and done a rollerset that's turned out well, meaning: not lost a bunch of hair?

wow ladies nice progress.. Donya your hair is luscious!!!

Ladies I am still having a hard time combating the dryness after rollersetting and my hair does not look silky. I think my dryer is the culprit. I have an old skool gold n hot 1200 watt. My hair looks so nice and bounce after I blow dry with my yellow bird 1875 watt and flat iron with CHI but after rollersetting it is dry and I have alot of breakage when I comb down.

Products I use:
I wash with CON(green label or ELQP creme cond)
DC with keracare humecto for 45-1.5hr
spray with CHI keratin mist and Nioxxin Thermal Bliss
Apply a bit of Lacio Lacio or Shea butter oil on wet hair

I have brought some Organix coconut Milk serum and I will try and use it this week to see the difference. I used it last week on a blow dry and it was awesome!

wow ladies nice progress.. Donya your hair is luscious!!!

Ladies I am still having a hard time combating the dryness after rollersetting and my hair does not look silky. I think my dryer is the culprit. I have an old skool gold n hot 1200 watt. My hair looks so nice and bounce after I blow dry with my yellow bird 1875 watt and flat iron with CHI but after rollersetting it is dry and I have alot of breakage when I comb down.

Products I use:
I wash with CON(green label or ELQP creme cond)
DC with keracare humecto for 45-1.5hr
spray with CHI keratin mist and Nioxxin Thermal Bliss
Apply a bit of Lacio Lacio or Shea butter oil on wet hair

I have brought some Organix coconut Milk serum and I will try and use it this week to see the difference. I used it last week on a blow dry and it was awesome!

Mzsophisticated,

Could the Chi Keratin Mist be the culprit? It is a hair strenghtner and contains protein, which can leave the hair dry/dull. When I rollerset, the results are bouncy and shiny...but I only apply NTM Silk Touch Leave In and a dab of Chi Silk Infusion to my ends.

Maybe you should try one without the Keratin and see if that makes a difference.

Back