Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

Update:

I'm still roller-setting only and my hair is continuing
to respond well to roller setting and stretching.

love your update! your hair looked healthy before but it's grown alot and very healthy looking congrats!

Update:

Before Dec. 2009: Hair almost straight with just a slight bump on the ends.

mbsww2.jpg

March 2010: Lots of body and curl. Roller set hair. Hair not all the way straight. I only used one pass on the roots on low heat.

14436sy.jpg

Hey ladies, I'm checking in! I can't believe that it's been three months already, lol.
I've been rollersetting once a week, every week. Lately, it's been more annoying to do it, but I'm going to stick with it, because I think it's really been beneficial to my hair.
Okay, here are my pictures:

Lastlengthcheckshirtarmsup2-vi.jpg

This was December 26, 2009. I was almost one week post, and had washed, rollerset and flatironed my hair.

marchlengthcheck-vi.jpg

And this was March 28, 2010. I was one week post, and this is after I washed and rollerset it. The hair is kind of dented and wouldn't lay straight down, because I had it in a bun. But it doesn't make a real difference I think.

Last edited:
Hi ladies

You're not going to see much of a difference in my hair at the moment as my shrinkage is ridiculous at 3.5 months post. I can't wait until I touch up either because I'm not doing it until June. I plan on straightening my hair in a couple of weeks for an event I'm going to so I'll update then.

Your hair looks great LHL, lovely ends!

I was going to wait until tomorrow to rollerset, but I was itching to get it done for the week. Unlike my rollerset last week, this week I:

1. used mainly purple and red magnetic rollers (instead of purple and gray)
2. used the mohawk method
3. didn't blow out my roots
4. didn't use a round brush
5. used more setting product

DSCN1045.jpg

DSCN1042.jpg

DSCN1047.jpg

Although I like this set, the one I had last week was much better looks-wise. But, this time it only took me 1 hour to rollerset and 1hour and 40 mins. to dry!!! Last time I spent about 2 hours setting and 2 drying. So I'm definitely doing the mohawk method again. Next time I'll use less product and stick with the purple and gray rollers. I loved how huge my hair was last time.

^^^funny you mention huge hair, last week I setted my hair, didn't blow it straight and my moms referred to me as james brown rip lmao!

the more you do it you will find your staple products and which products work best for your sets, i've had weeks where I knew I should've stuck with what works but I used a foreign product anyways :(

thank you, i've been having to trim frequently to get the crap off :), I think all the bad hair is finally gone, starting fresh for the summer.

can't wait to see your hair straightened for your event.

Hi ladies

You're not going to see much of a difference in my hair at the moment as my shrinkage is ridiculous at 3.5 months post. I can't wait until I touch up either because I'm not doing it until June. I plan on straightening my hair in a couple of weeks for an event I'm going to so I'll update then.

Your hair looks great LHL, lovely ends!

nice update! your hair grew fast in 3 months, I kept looking at the pic like somethings different, then I saw the 1st one is a lil above the bird and the 2nd one is past it :)

Hey ladies, I'm checking in! I can't believe that it's been three months already, lol.
I've been rollersetting once a week, every week. Lately, it's been more annoying to do it, but I'm going to stick with it, because I think it's really been beneficial to my hair.
Okay, here are my pictures:

Lastlengthcheckshirtarmsup2-vi.jpg

This was December 26, 2009. I was almost one week post, and had washed, rollerset and flatironed my hair.

marchlengthcheck-vi.jpg

And this was March 28, 2010. I was one week post, and this is after I washed and rollerset it. The hair is kind of dented and wouldn't lay straight down, because I had it in a bun. But it doesn't make a real difference I think.

I'll be posting my update either tonight or tomorrow.

Longhairlover, how often do you relax your hair? It looks great. All of you ladies have wonderful updates.

Okay, I attached my January pic versus my April 3rd pic. I was getting a little tired of rollersetting on the end, but now that I see my results, I'll probably stick with it for another 3 months.

BTW, I am 3 months post-relaxer. My hair is actually right at APL, a lil longer than it looks in the second picture.

I could have taken a better update pic, but I'm tired and I plan to go to sunrise service!

Last edited:
So I tried just putting a scarf around my head and going to sleep and wow that didn't work :nono:. I'm actually surprised my hair didn't fro back up. What it did do was make my hair all flat and lose all of it's curl :ohwell:. So, I'm going to try putting it in a ponytail tonight and I'll see how that goes.

Right now I'm sitting here with some rollers on my dry hair, hoping to get some curl back. :rolleyes:

ETA: I took the rollers down and had a really good look at my ends :nono:. I am not happy. I went through my fokti and I think my hair has grown maybe an inch since January!!! I think I'm going to have to drop out of this challenge and get back to wet bunning.

Thank you ladies for having me in this challenge even for a short while. I loved the look and ease of rollersetting; I just don't think it's what's best for my hair's health.

Last edited:
So I tried just putting a scarf around my head and going to sleep and wow that didn't work :nono:. I'm actually surprised my hair didn't fro back up. What it did do was make my hair all flat and lose all of it's curl :ohwell:. So, I'm going to try putting it in a ponytail tonight and I'll see how that goes.

Right now I'm sitting here with some rollers on my dry hair, hoping to get some curl back. :rolleyes:

ETA: I took the rollers down and had a really good look at my ends :nono:. I am not happy. I went through my fokti and I think my hair has grown maybe an inch since January!!! I think I'm going to have to drop out of this challenge and get back to wet bunning.

Thank you ladies for having me in this challenge even for a short while. I loved the look and ease of rollersetting; I just don't think it's what's best for my hair's health.

awww! I'm sorry to hear that. If you do go back to rolleretting, maybe you could try pin curls.....

I did my first roller set earlier today and while I consider it to be 'ok' for my first time it just doesn't look right. This week, I plan on going to the bss to purchase a new foam wrap lotion and roller setting my hair again Thursday or Friday to see if whether or not I will stick with it. While at the bss, I will look into purchasing some magnetic rollers. My hair looks fuzzy/frizzy and the curls did not hold like I would have liked them to. I am also going to search this thread for tips regarding roller placement and getting my sets to look neater. I have already pin curled my hair for the night and will spend tomorrow searching the thread/forum for roller setting tips.

Last edited:
I have been roller setting once a week since January. I am one of those weird people who loves roller sets! I can have my entire head rolled in 20 minutes now. It use to take 45 minutes:grin: I apologize in advance for the small starting picture. The resizing wouldn't work!

Anyways, here is my starting picture one month after I found LHCF in November of 2009:
Nov09.jpg

This is my hair now after three consecutive months of weekly roller sets. I also bun 3-5 days a week:

Apr32010.jpg
I am 15 weeks post relaxer in this picture and I'm on a personal no heat challenge till I relax in May, so I just pulled a strand straight for an approximate check. I am very happy with my progress so far. I just hope it continues!

Last edited:
I know I've been promising a review on the Ricky's Cermaic Rollers, but....I need one more week:perplexed

I did use them for my last roller set. However, my camera broke and I had to take pictures using my iPhone, and so they are not that clear. Also, I just want one more try before I can post a true review. I did set my hair dryer for 15 minutes less than usual and my hair was dry! This is a good sign. I actually forgot to add the Chi Silk Infusion to my hair:wallbash:, and the curls still came out shiny and bouncy! So far so good, but let me try this one more time following my normal routine step by step before posting a real review. Here is one "cloudy" picture of the results.

RollersetApril2onceramicrollers.jpg

Hey all this is my update.This first pic is from November 2009. 2nd lenght check.jpg

The second pic is march 2010 roller set hair that was wrapped and brushed out.third lenght check.jpg

on one of these pages I put a link to a ytuber named Lorraine she has a long but thorough vid on rollersetting, it may be on the first few pages of this thread.

the magnetic rollers will really help you get smoother sets, mousse will also help to hold your curls if your going for a curly look, I like silk elements mousse because it's alcohol free and gives nice shine too.

hth

I did my first roller set earlier today and while I consider it to be 'ok' for my first time it just doesn't look right. This week, I plan on going to the bss to purchase a new foam wrap lotion and roller setting my hair again Thursday or Friday to see if whether or not I will stick with it. While at the bss, I will look into purchasing some magnetic rollers. My hair looks fuzzy/frizzy and the curls did not hold like I would have liked them to. I am also going to search this thread for tips regarding roller placement and getting my sets to look neater. I have already pin curled my hair for the night and will spend tomorrow searching the thread/forum for roller setting tips.

it does look nice and smooth, thank goodness someone bought the rollers, cant wait for your next review on them :grin:

and your hair grew fast too, it's past that tatt :) nice!

I know I've been promising a review on the Ricky's Cermaic Rollers, but....I need one more week:perplexed

I did use them for my last roller set. However, my camera broke and I had to take pictures using my iPhone, and so they are not that clear. Also, I just want one more try before I can post a true review. I did set my hair dryer for 15 minutes less than usual and my hair was dry! This is a good sign. I actually forgot to add the Chi Silk Infusion to my hair:wallbash:, and the curls still came out shiny and bouncy! So far so good, but let me try this one more time following my normal routine step by step before posting a real review. Here is one "cloudy" picture of the results.

RollersetApril2onceramicrollers.jpg

Last edited:
my mother fixed the front of my hair (trim) for me last weekend and said "I don't know what your doing to your hair but it really looks and feels amazing" and that's alot coming from her since she use to do hair for 20+ yrs. Rollersetting is the truth, so ladies that are facing damage, illness or your hair just isn't acting right, learn how to rollerset, along w/deep conditioning, protein treatments and yes light trims and you will see the change, oh and good styling tools i.e. seamless combs and quality brushes, ouchless and snag free hair accessories. Also products that detangle your hair really well and provide slip.

Pantene gets on my nerves but I always go back to it when I stretch for long periods, nothing gets my curls tangle free and detangled like Pantene (all lines).

Great Progress Ladies!!!! :)

my mother fixed the front of my hair (trim) for me last weekend and said "I don't know what your doing to your hair but it really looks and feels amazing" and that's alot coming from her since she use to do hair for 20+ yrs. Rollersetting is the truth, so ladies that are facing damage, illness or your hair just isn't acting right, learn how to rollerset, along w/deep conditioning, protein treatments and yes light trims and you will see the change, oh and good styling tools i.e. seamless combs and quality brushes, ouchless and snag free hair accessories. Also products that detangle your hair really well and provide slip.

Pantene gets on my nerves but I always go back to it when I stretch for long periods, nothing gets my curls tangle free and detangled like Pantene (all lines).

Great Progress Ladies!!!! :)

Yes, rollersetting really, really works if you're consistent with it! The big old rollers also make me feel ol' school glam lol.

I forgot to add in my earlier post three things that I am going to do differently:

1. Cut down from washing 2-3 times a week to only 1x (less manipulation)
2. Deep condition with every wash. (I currently only DC twice a month)
3. I'm using a new product line - Shea Moisture. I'm really feeling the Moisture Retention Shampoo.

Yes, rollersetting really, really works if you're consistent with it! The big old rollers also make me feel ol' school glam lol.

I forgot to add in my earlier post three things that I am going to do differently:

1. Cut down from washing 2-3 times a week to only 1x (less manipulation)
2. Deep condition with every wash. (I currently only DC twice a month)
3. I'm using a new product line - Shea Moisture. I'm really feeling the Moisture Retention Shampoo.

Solitude, your regimen changes sound great. I currently only shampoo once a week and co wash once a week. I always dc once a week too. Let us know how the Shea Moisture line works for you.

-sneaks back into thread-

I want to give rollersetting another try :look:. I loved how my hair felt after a rollerset, and I had noticed that the broken hairs I would find laying around were becoming fewer and fewer. After talking to my roommate, I may have gotten used to my hair being stretched and much smoother that my shrunken hair now feels weird to me :spinning:. Here are some changes I'm thinking of making:
1. letting my hair airdry for a bit then going under the hair dryer using the low setting.
2. deep conditioning my hair once a week to prep for the rollerset
3. using just water and my CHI Straight Guard to set my hair

I also plan to wear my hair in either a bun or ponytail since my rollersets fall to my shoulders and brush against my clothes.

2 quick questions:

1) for those who wash their hair more than once a week - do you still rollerset? If so, isn't that too much manipulation?
2) How do you keep your curls overnight? I tried pinning them and they came out flat and poo when I woke up :(

2 quick questions:

1) for those who wash their hair more than once a week - do you still rollerset? If so, isn't that too much manipulation? My answer to that is no. I lose very little hair when I roller set. The product mix and the seamless combs Have reduced my hair loss during roller setting. I have a hair night in which I pre poo, shampoo, deep condition, and rollerset. I enjoy my roller set by wearing my hair down for 2-3 days. Then I co wash once a week and airdry my hair overnight. The next day I bun and wear a bun 4-5 days a week. After co-washing I apply NTM Silk Touch leave in and detangle. I had less than 5 hairs in my seamless comb. So, the manipulation has not been detrimental for me.
2) How do you keep your curls overnight? I tried pinning them and they came out flat and poo when I woke up :(
Now this, I haven't mastered yet. My pin curls didn't work either. I usually put rollers on dry hair for an hour or so (if I have time) to have some curls. Normally, I go to a silk wrap by default!

***3mth updates**** I have noticed some increase to thickness from rollersetting but I am still struggling with my technique it seems like my hair is so dry afterwards. I try not to add alot of products because my fine hair will be weighed down. I am happy to see I am getting closer to APL!!

This is were I started January 2010
25i55wp.jpg

Here is after my trim in February 2010
iw6jip.jpg
op8qs.jpg

Here is March 2010 update. (i did not do a good flat iron so my hair looks uneven)
n3kuon.jpg

^^^^ your hair looks GORGEOUS sweetie! You are definitely doing a great job! Hopefully, I will be where you are in a couple of months.

i'm not rollersetting as much but normally I :

2 quick questions:

1) for those who wash their hair more than once a week - do you still rollerset? If so, isn't that too much manipulation?

I was rollersetting 2-3x's a week, no issues at all actually my hair loves it, not too much manipulation, i've made sure to make sure my hair is detangled and has lots of slip with good leave ins and conditioners/shampoos. As Salsa said seamless combs really help in losing less hair, my cricket comb is my heart!

it all depends on the persons hair, some hair doesn't like to be touched too much, other hair doesn't mind it, but it's all on the individual and their tresses.

I prefer my hair sleek but others have mentioned they do pin curls, bantu knots, sometimes i'll just do a messy bun and I notice with that the curls are still there the next day.

Last edited:
just finished deep conditioning under the dryer, sweat everywhere, don't know how this is going to work when the real heat hits :(

don't know if rollersetting will be done consistently during real heat......

Back