Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

The orange ones and I have black ceramic ones. Not sure what size (color) they are but they are only slightly bigger. I went and got the red and green ones today and they worked much better. I am under the dryer right now.

^^^ you can probably use the purple rollers, maybe the red, which color are you using now?

Whew it was a long process (2 hrs). Hopefully as my hair grows and I get better at this the rolling process will go smoother and faster cause my arms was tired and I almost quit 2 times.

Hey ladies,

I'm just lurking/unofficially joining for now until I decide on what type of rollers I want to use.

Last edited:
Ok ladies. I broke down and ordered the Ricky's Fusion Ceramic
Rollers. They are rubber coated for grip and have added ceramic. I got an email that they have already shipped. I'm sure they won't get here in time for my Friday night rollerset though:-( So next week, I will post a picture of the results and my review. Not sure if I can give a "true" review though because I will be working with 15 week post relaxer hair. But I'll give my two cents anyway!

Hey ladies. I have not been in this thread in a minute but I am still roller setting at least once a week. I am getting much better at it but its an uphill go as the new growth comes in.

I think I may stop at rickys' today i'll be in manhattan, i've been dying to try these rollers, even for dry styling my hair with curls.

let us know how they go, we still haven't gotten any feedback on if these rollers are worth it, I know they are supposed to be good for dry styling.

Ok ladies. I broke down and ordered the Ricky's Fusion Ceramic
Rollers. They are rubber coated for grip and have added ceramic. I got an email that they have already shipped. I'm sure they won't get here in time for my Friday night rollerset though:-( So next week, I will post a picture of the results and my review. Not sure if I can give a "true" review though because I will be working with 15 week post relaxer hair. But I'll give my two cents anyway!

I'd like to join you ladies. I was in the 2010 Braid Challenge but my braider moved out of state! So I just discovered that I actually can rollerset my hair and it comes out SOOOOOO much softer and bouncier with NO DIRECT HEAT - Hallelujah!

1. What rollers will you be using? Magnetic rollers, red, beige and a couple of purple
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.) Mizani heat protectant, JCS leave-in, IC Fantasia Frizz Free Serum
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? both
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? Yes a quick blow dry of the roots, one minute tops
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? hooded dryer
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc) bone combs (rake, detangler and a rat tail I just ordered)

One question, I rollerset last night and I had broken hairs mostly from wrapping my hair afterwards. Today I'm noticing breakage at the crown. How do you ladies minimize breakage when rollersetting/wrapping?

I think I may stop at rickys' today i'll be in manhattan, i've been dying to try these rollers, even for dry styling my hair with curls.

let us know how they go, we still haven't gotten any feedback on if these rollers are worth it, I know they are supposed to be good for dry styling.

Ooh, plz let us know if you get them and use them. I can't wait to try them! I'm going to take pictures of my roller set tonight and then take pictures of my roller set using the ceramic rollers next week. That way there will be reasonable comparison.

I am just looooving this challenge!! I'm so glad I didn't give up on learning how to rollerset. I did a rollerset on my 14 week post relaxer hair, and the results were amazing! Curls so full and bouncy! I didn't want to wrap it that night bc it always turns into a silk wrap:-(

Anyways, I ordered the ceramic rollers Thursday and they arrived Saturday morning. Really quick shipping and a 15% coupon off my next order. If these work well, I'll order more in various sizes.

I plan to do another rollerset Thursday night. I took pictures of the results this week and I will take pictures of the results next week with the ceramcs. I'll post my review and pics before the weekend is out. Have a good weekend ladies!

Oh yeah, the seamless combs from hairsense.com are the truth!!!! I lost less than half the amount of hair! And I use a detangling rake and rattail comb. Very little hair loss!

Last edited:
I air dried and flat ironed this week for the 1st time..Just trying something different so i can have options. I will roller set next week i am 3 months post:perplexed so is hard.

Also i got a 1" trim..which i needed but i feel like my hair is stuck at mbl for EVER...everytime i get close to WL. I need a trim..I am over it honestly this is a good length..

I refuse to be WL with crappy ends.

tis all am done venting

Attachments

• IMG00108-20100328-1732 (1).jpg
    IMG00108-20100328-1732 (1).jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
can't wait to see the pics of the rollerset with the ceramic rollers :)

I am just looooving this challenge!! I'm so glad I didn't give up on learning how to rollerset. I did a rollerset on my 14 week post relaxer hair, and the results were amazing! Curls so full and bouncy! I didn't want to wrap it that night bc it always turns into a silk wrap:-(

Anyways, I ordered the ceramic rollers Thursday and they arrived Saturday morning. Really quick shipping and a 15% coupon off my next order. If these work well, I'll order more in various sizes.

I plan to do another rollerset Thursday night. I took pictures of the results this week and I will take pictures of the results next week with the ceramcs. I'll post my review and pics before the weekend is out. Have a good weekend ladies!

Oh yeah, the seamless combs from hairsense.com are the truth!!!! I lost less than held the amount of hair! And I use a detangling rake and rattail comb. Very little hair loss!

lol! your hair looks fab though, the ends look great!
i've been trying different things too sometimes I get bored with rollersetting my hair and we may be around the same time relaxer post. i'm trying to hold out til May or whenever it gets too hot.

your hair looks longer to me it'll be waist length regardless it has no choice.

I air dried and flat ironed this week for the 1st time..Just trying something different so i can have options. I will roller set next week i am 3 months post:perplexed so is hard.

Also i got a 1" trim..which i needed but i feel like my hair is stuck at mbl for EVER...everytime i get close to WL. I need a trim..I am over it honestly this is a good length..

I refuse to be WL with crappy ends.

tis all am done venting

Hey ladies,

I'm just lurking/unofficially joining for now until I decide on what type of rollers I want to use.

I purchased two packs of Annie mesh rollers today along with duckbill clips, end papers, and a hair net. I will attempt my first rollerset on Tuesday or Wednesday.

1. What rollers will you be using? mesh & perm rods
2. What products will you use to set? Lanza foam/setting lotion, Aphogee green tea keratin spray and serum
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? both
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? no. Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? no.
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? using a hooded dryer and airdrying
6. What styling tools will you be using? fine tooth comb and bone comb

Last edited:
This weekend I did a wet wrap because I was lazy I did nothing to my roots. I will try to take pics this weekend for an update since I know that is approaching.

I want to post pics soon, but I'm going to wait until I get a touch up and flat iron to check length. I'm getting the touch up on Saturday. I believe my hair has grown in the back but I think I've had some hair loss on my right side wear the roller is set. I'm taking precautions now.

Hi Ladies :)

I have been following you guys since the beginning, and have finally decided to join the challenge now that my hair is freshly relaxed.

1. What rollers will you be using?
Grey magnetic rollers, flexi rods

2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
Herbal Essences LTR, CHI Silk Infusion, Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer, Aphogee ProVitamin Leave-in, One 'N Only Argan Oil

3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)?
Length. Trying to get to WL by the end of this year.

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?
No. I have not mastered the art of blowing out roots unfortunately.
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer?
Crappy Gold N Hot Table-top Hooded dryer :nono:
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc)
Wide tooth rat tail comb, flat iron for roots only (towards the end of my stretches), magnetic rollers, double prong alligator clips.

I am under the dryer as we speak :) OP, thanks for this informative and motivating thread, and ladies, thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Attachments

• Snapshot_20100329_3.jpg
    Snapshot_20100329_3.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Snapshot_20100329_5.jpg
    Snapshot_20100329_5.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Snapshot_20100329_6.jpg
    Snapshot_20100329_6.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 24
  • dryer.jpg
    dryer.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 19
I'm back. I tried wet bunning for like 10 days, and I'm going to stick to rollersets under the dryer from now on. Here's an update.

Attachments

• SDC11566.JPG
    SDC11566.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 19
I forgot to send out the 3 month update pm's i'll do so overnight or tomorrow, forgot todays' April 1st.

I agree with Sharifeh nice progress and updates Optimus.

I have some sort of brain lapse, I was right in manhattan where there's a rickys' and forgot :blush:

I need a tape recorder to remind myself of stuff :lachen:

Ooh, plz let us know if you get them and use them. I can't wait to try them! I'm going to take pictures of my roller set tonight and then take pictures of my roller set using the ceramic rollers next week. That way there will be reasonable comparison.

Okay...when flat ironing the roots after a roller set are you doing it in the same sections as the roller or combing it out 1st then flat ironing...this mess is driving me crazy and I am not relaxing for the next couple of weeks ....

@red awwww your welcome, I guess we have so much info here because you learn so much through trial and error. I heart rollersets, they brought my hair back to life I never believed in them until I started this challenge and consistently rollersetted my hair.

I don't know how you ladies mbl do self rollersets, sometimes I get annoyed doing a rollerset on apl hair.

thx for joining :)

Hi Ladies :)

I have been following you guys since the beginning, and have finally decided to join the challenge now that my hair is freshly relaxed.

Grey magnetic rollers, flexi rods
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
Herbal Essences LTR, CHI Silk Infusion, Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer, Aphogee ProVitamin Leave-in, One 'N Only Argan Oil
Length. Trying to get to WL by the end of this year.
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?
No. I have not mastered the art of blowing out roots unfortunately.
Crappy Gold N Hot Table-top Hooded dryer :nono:
Wide tooth rat tail comb, flat iron for roots only (towards the end of my stretches), magnetic rollers, double prong alligator clips.

I am under the dryer as we speak :) OP, thanks for this informative and motivating thread, and ladies, thank you for sharing your knowledge!

I am so joining this challenge!! :grin: I did my second rollerset in March last Sunday and I loved loved loved it! I'm 3c-4b natural and I was contemplating using a blowdryer monthly to help keep single-strand knots and mini-dreds at bay. I'm so glad that I gave rollersetting another chance because I think it'll do the trick without the potential heat damage.

Red (trying this weekend), purple and gray magnetic rollers with the metal clips. I'm going to save up my money to buy flexirods as well.
In a spray bottle I mix JC Condition and Sculpt with Proclaim Foam Wrap and dilute it heavily with water. After I spray the section of hair with the mix, I add a dab of CHI Straight Guard (I love this stuff and I use it as a leave-in during the week).
I'm hoping to retain length, get healthier hair, and easier detangling and maintence.
I've used a blowdryer on my roots both times I've rollerset, but I will try to avoid it from now on.
bonnet dryer

I rollerset immediately after detangling and rinsing, so I use a medium tooth comb to get my hair smooth. I was using a round brush but I can see that becoming damaging after very little use, so I won't use that anymore.
I'll be doing this challenge for 3 months, cowashing, detangling and rollersetting once a week. My last rollerset is my avatar pic and I'll post pics of my rollerset from this upcoming Sunday.

I have some sort of brain lapse, I was right in manhattan where there's a rickys' and forgot :blush:

I need a tape recorder to remind myself of stuff :lachen:

Lol! That's ok. My hair night is tonight and I've been itching to use those rollers. Well, my DDdecided that she did not want to get with the program a d go to sleep tonight. So my husband has been in the room with her trying to put her to sleep. So I have no access to my hair dryer!! At 9pm, I realized my hair was not getting done tonight!!

**Big sigh** I'll post my pics and review tomorrow night.

you will see your hair thrive with rollersetting for real,
I still use the blowdryer but on my roots mainly and I haven't had any issues,

I am so joining this challenge!! :grin: I did my second rollerset in March last Sunday and I loved loved loved it! I'm 3c-4b natural and I was contemplating using a blowdryer monthly to help keep single-strand knots and mini-dreds at bay. I'm so glad that I gave rollersetting another chance because I think it'll do the trick without the potential heat damage.

I'll be doing this challenge for 3 months, cowashing, detangling and rollersetting once a week. My last rollerset is my avatar pic and I'll post pics of my rollerset from this upcoming Sunday.

Ok so I sent out the pm's to remind everyone about the 3 month updates, some members may not have received the pm because they are either no longer on the site maybe or requested not receive pm's.

Here are my updates I posted these before and they are in my album:

picture.php
before trim winter/fall 2009 a hot mess ends were messed up! hair just looked like trash! was blowdrying too much because I need to wash my hair frequent.

picture.php
after a trim late winter 2009, and after buying my salon dryer rollersetting only.

picture.php
^ after winter trim, some growth, crown growing back in healthy, and also only rollersetting

picture.php

^ 2010 trim March hair is healthy again, thx to dedicated rollersetting!

picture.php
nice and even and healthy back to healthy apl march 2010

My hair has really come back to the way it was which is healthy, my crown has grown back I think it was breaking off because of my thyroid issues I found out about last year, before then I couldn't understand why my hair was breaking off always at the crown and nape. And I stopped blowdrying so darn much, and rollersets are the best way to maintain healthy ends and hair!

:grin:

I just put the flat iron onto the hair run the flat iron over the roots once then comb out the roots with a wide tooth comb, then go over the roots again until they are smooth, normally 2 passes or maybe 3 sometimes depending on how much newgrowth.

Okay...when flat ironing the roots after a roller set are you doing it in the same sections as the roller or combing it out 1st then flat ironing...this mess is driving me crazy and I am not relaxing for the next couple of weeks ....

Update:

Before Dec. 2009: Hair almost straight with just a slight bump on the ends.

mbsww2.jpg

March 2010: Lots of body and curl. Roller set hair. Hair not all the way straight. I only used one pass on the roots on low heat.

14436sy.jpg

Back