Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

Checking in! My length update is in my siggy. I'm loving rollersetting, seriously. It's becoming a breeeeeze. I'm on KeraCare now and after using the hydrating detangling shampoo (new sulfate free formula) with humecto, I lost NO hair rollersetting. :grin::grin::grin: Like, I seriously had maybe 10 hairs in the comb TOTAL. I did not have detangle at all. My new seamless bone combs might be helping as well.

I am probably going to PS more, but I'll still be rollersetting at least once a week. (I rollerset twice a week currently.)

lol!!! some of us are using the blower but after we rollerset our hair. I blowdry my roots some of the other women do too but after our rollersets.

so you would blowdry your hair dry then the use the rollers? 41 weeks yeah that can lead to disaster :lachen:and stress.

I guess try it out post pics.

So I can't blow dry on cool air? :nono:
I'm like 41 weeks post and thats quite a challenge alright!! lol :look:

great to hear, rollersetting is really great before I use to think it was too much heat (in the 90's crazy thinking) but I realize it's soooooo much better for your hair.

How is the keracare new shampoo? I wanted to try it, the only sulfate free shampoo I own now is giovanni magnetic, but it's not in my rotation yet.

and yes I love seamless combs I think my cricket comb is seamless and it does not snatch the hair.

congrats on your progress.

Checking in! My length update is in my siggy. I'm loving rollersetting, seriously. It's becoming a breeeeeze. I'm on KeraCare now and after using the hydrating detangling shampoo (new sulfate free formula) with humecto, I lost NO hair rollersetting. :grin::grin::grin: Like, I seriously had maybe 10 hairs in the comb TOTAL. I did not have detangle at all. My new seamless bone combs might be helping as well.

I am probably going to PS more, but I'll still be rollersetting at least once a week. (I rollerset twice a week currently.)

I can't wait to get my detangling seamless comb!!! I did a rollerset last night and the results were great! I had my entire head rolled in less than 20 minutes. It's getting easy now. After washing and dcing, I apply NTM Silk Touch and Chi Silk. My curls are ways full and bouncy.

The only issue is I loose a lot of hair. It seems like there is hair everywhere after I'm done. The seamless rat tail comb helped a lot, but I need a seamless detangler too. Hopefully it will get here this week.

I'm going to do a protein treatment tonight and do my usual set. I'm going to flat iron my roots tomorrow, and wear the lengths curly. I'm just three months post and I'm finding it very easy at the moment. Let's see how I feel in four weeks time!

I'm in. =)

1. What rollers will you be using?
the regular old ones- plastic with holes in them... lol
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
Paul Mitchell smoothing
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? health
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? maybe right after I take them out- if my hair is at all stiff...
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? airdry
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc)fine tooth comb, duckbill clips

Checking in with a few pics...the homemade rolllerset went alright... :look:
And yes I would need to blow dry on cool first lol!!

I'll post more after I wash it.. :ohwell:

Attachments

• 251.jpg
    251.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 254.jpg
    254.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 253.jpg
    253.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 252.jpg
    252.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 22
Anyone have suggestions for a good pin curling tutorial on Youtube. I hate how traditional wrapping flattens all my bouncy curls, but I have no idea how to pincurl. TIA!

DSC00530.jpg
DSC00403-1.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr355/sophia_reed/DSC00506-1.jpg
Just checking in the left pic is present and other bottom is before.
It looks longer telling from where my armpits are

Ladies I will be joining you in this challenge on a casual basis. Mainly to learn healthier hair practices and also to learn :grin:.

I have just BKT'd and so thought this would be good for maintaining it after DC's.

Magnetic green and pink ones.

2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)

Leave-In, Heat protectant and diluted Aphogee green tea or Chi silk Infusion. I find that setting lotion makes the hair hard and prone to breakage.

3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)?

Bouncy hair whilst drying thus protecting the elasticity and integrity of my hair buy using in-direct low heat and therefore encourage growth and thickness.

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?

No blowdriers, I don;t know how to blow my roots anyway and my little anorexic strands would all but give up on me.

5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer?

I will mostly be using my Hooded dryer on low to medium heat. My hair is pretty fine so it usually takes about 30 mins to dry on medium.

6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc)

Spray bottle with leave in mixture, combs, magnetic rollers, clips.

I will also probably mainly be using the "pony-tail" roller setting method (as demonstrated by boundless tresses lady on youtube) and wraps as these will be easiest for me as I am learning. I will prob roller-set 1sx week at weekends and wrap midweek when I co-wash & DC. I will venture onto the mo-hawk when I feel more confident.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlYPfamE3TA&feature=related

ETA: I am thinking of switching up to curl formers bc they look a little more manageable for the likes of me. :yep: I have seen some youtube videos that are making me :drool: for curlformers..... :infatuated:

Last edited:
I haven't read the entire thread as of yet and was wondering can you buy the ceramic rollers at a BBS and if so does anyone in Houston know where and how do they compare to the magnetic rollers. Thx.

Last edited:
it's weird I honestly have not seen them in bss's.
I see them online I don't think they are too popular :ohwell: at the moment except in salons.

when I decide to try them i'm going to have to order online.

I haven't read the entire thread as of yet and was wondering can you buy the ceramic rollers at a BBS and if so does anyone in Houston know where and how do they compare to the magnetic rollers. Thx.

:grin:
WOW I like those curls you got there, came out nice.
can you post pics next time of you and these brown bag rollers? I want to see them and how they are done.
if I blew on cool my hair would still be looking at me like...........:nono: heat! #$#$^^%%^$!!!!

lmao :lachen:

Checking in with a few pics...the homemade rolllerset went alright... :look:
And yes I would need to blow dry on cool first lol!!

I'll post more after I wash it.. :ohwell:

that's cool, it's a year so even if you take a month's break from this or a few days you still have the rest of the year well til Oct.

it's a fun challenge because it's light on the rules.

Ladies I will be joining you in this challenge on a casual basis. Mainly to learn healthier hair practices and also to learn :grin:.

I have just BKT'd and so thought this would be good for maintaining it after DC's.

Magnetic green and pink ones.

Leave-In, Heat protectant and diluted Aphogee green tea or Chi silk Infusion. I find that setting lotion makes the hair hard and prone to breakage.

3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)?

Bouncy hair whilst drying thus protecting the elasticity and integrity of my hair buy using in-direct low heat and therefore encourage growth and thickness.

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?

No blowdriers, I don;t know how to blow my roots anyway and my little anorexic strands would all but give up on me.

5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer?

I will mostly be using my Hooded dryer on low to medium heat. My hair is pretty fine so it usually takes about 30 mins to dry on medium.

6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc)

Spray bottle with leave in mixture, combs, magnetic rollers, clips.

I will also probably mainly be using the "pony-tail" roller setting method (as demonstrated by boundless tresses lady on youtube) and wraps as these will be easiest for me as I am learning. I will prob roller-set 1sx week at weekends and wrap midweek when I co-wash & DC. I will venture onto the mo-hawk when I feel more confident.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlYPfamE3TA&feature=related

LOL!! :lachen: maybe you could train it to accept the cool air over time :grin:

And here's a quick pic of the rollers (don't laugh), maybe I can take a better one later! :perplexed

:grin:
WOW I like those curls you got there, came out nice.
can you post pics next time of you and these brown bag rollers? I want to see them and how they are done.
if I blew on cool my hair would still be looking at me like...........:nono: heat! #$#$^^%%^$!!!!

lmao :lachen:

Attachments

• 248.jpg
    248.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 42
that's really cool! so I guess you have mastered rag rollers. my hair really thrives off of heat, I know so many people say that heat is the enemy but my hair just does really well with it so for me i'll stick with what works.

and I barely see brown bags, where in the world are you find them? wait I know wholefoods has them.

your helping the environment and your hair :grin:

LOL!! :lachen: maybe you could train it to accept the cool air over time :grin:

And here's a quick pic of the rollers (don't laugh), maybe I can take a better one later! :perplexed

The main BSS I go to is on Fondren and S.Braeswood, in the same parking lot as Food Town - I think it's called Beauty Empire. They have ceramic rollers, but only in two sizes! The don't have the size that is really large, like the gray ones. The largest size is the purple size and the red size - don't know the exact diameters, but all of their ceramic rollers are white.

I like that BSS because the store owners are friendly and they always speak, plus they have a large selection.

I use the ceramic ones because they seem to dry faster and my rollersets look shinier. I would prefer larger ceramic ones.

Ulta has large ceramic mesh rollers. (I don't use those because I'm afraid the mesh will snag my hair.)

NOTE: I went to that BSS today and they were SOLD OUT of ceramic rollers!!! I have to remember to ask him to order the larger size next time I go in there.

Last edited:
with the ceramic rollers does the hair come out smooth like with the magnetic ones?

The main BSS I go to is on Fondren and S.Braeswood, in the same parking lot as Food Town - I think it's called Beauty Empire. They have ceramic rollers, but only in two sizes! The don't have the size that is really large, like the gray ones. The largest size is the purple size and the red size - don't know the exact diameters, but all of their ceramic rollers are white.

I like that BSS because the store owners are friendly and they always speak, plus they have a large selection.

I use the ceramic ones because they seem to dry faster and my rollersets look shinier. I would prefer larger ceramic ones.

Ulta has large ceramic mesh rollers. (I don't use those because I'm afraid the mesh will snag my hair.)

Ok thanks...I will get some this week end..Can you join if you don't post pictures...I'm new to all of this and would have to get my niece to teach me all that picture stuff...but I only rollerset my hair anyway once a week.

Ok the roller set attempt on Friday looked terrible so no pics. The hair was smooth, but the curls were super tight and then they started to frizz up later. I think I'm going to have to get bigger rollers now. Those were my little rollers I bought about 4 months ago and my hair has grown a lot more than I realized since then. I'm going to make another attempt Thursday with bigger rollers and see how it turns out.

Any of you ladies have suggestions of what size (color) rollers to use for CL/NL hair so that you don't have super tight curls???

hello ladies :grin:
i'm just lurking for now (i will be unofficially joining in may when i take out my braids).
but i do have a question.

do any of you ladies use the huge (3", lime green) rollers?
i bought these rollers because i hear they really reduce drying time and i'm for more of a straight look because i want to wrap my hair anyway.
but i don't think they're going to fit under my dryer.
what kind of dryer can fit these rollers?

thanks in advance :]]

when my hair is freshly relaxed I use the black rollers all over they are maybe an inch smaller than the ones your talking about, imo when the hair is freshly relaxed (don't know if your relaxed) you can put more hair on them and fit under the salon dryers, with the tabletop dryers you won't fit either way (from my experience).

when i'm stretching like now I only do the huge rollers down the middle and use the grays on the side and I fit fine under my dryer.

so conclusion:
with a salon dryer and freshly relaxed hair you can fit with huge rollers,
newgrowth or natural hair causes you to need more rollers from my experience so using huge rollers can be unsuccessful and you won't fit under your dryer.

if you want to still try the huge rollers out just use those mainly in the middle section and it will create nice body.

hth.

hello ladies :grin:
i'm just lurking for now (i will be unofficially joining in may when i take out my braids).
but i do have a question.

do any of you ladies use the huge (3", lime green) rollers?
i bought these rollers because i hear they really reduce drying time and i'm for more of a straight look because i want to wrap my hair anyway.
but i don't think they're going to fit under my dryer.
what kind of dryer can fit these rollers?

thanks in advance :]]

Hi all. I was too lazy to roller set my hair on Tuesday night and ended up sleeping with wet hair...

OMG my hair looked a hot mess the next day. I'm happy I was able to wear a hat that evening! My hair was so matted, and I am not even 12 weeks post yet!I don't care how long it takes, from now on, I am roller setting my hair at least once a week. I actually have my redecilla and rollers on right now...

Back