Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

i've tried the duckbill clips in the past they aren't bad, and I like the length so you only need one but my sets got better once I finally bought the right slide in clips they make things easier, I was using the regular double prong clips at first too and hated those because they were just in the way.

I think that maybe last time, my hair was not damp enough because the hair was falling off the roller and the roller itself was a little slack. How anyone ever used duck bills clips instead of the short curling clips?

funny you mention the comforter bags because I use those too to store off season clothes and stuff.

I primarily use one size (red, lol) but I store them in one of the plastic zippered bags that sheets and blackets come in.

If you have muliple sizes that you want to store, I guess you could make a 'pegboard' (cant think of a good description) like some roller sets come with. If you decide to make one, you can PM me.

This is OT, but I also use the zippered bag from my comforter set to store my off-season shoes and accessories!

sitting under the dryer now, I'm just going to blowout the roots and do 2 cornrows, sometimes I feel silly sitting in the house with my hair done with nowhere to go lmao!!! that makes no sense to me.

Creolehottie, Good job! Your set looks great.

I did not have a good rollerset. I don't think my hair likes the Roux Porosity control mixed with AOHSR with heat. My hair is hard and crunchy. Could have been the protein, but I've never had a problem doing hard core protein in the past. Oh well...better luck on Wednesday night I hope!

I posted in your thread, your set came out nice, what did you use as a leave in?

Lacio Lacio (a Dominican leave in conditioner), sweet almond oil and my man's shine pomade for his locs. But honestly, the Lacio and oil were enough alone. I was just curious and tried the pomade out anyway.

Creolehottie, Good job! Your set looks great.

I did not have a good rollerset. I don't think my hair likes the Roux Porosity control mixed with AOHSR with heat. My hair is hard and crunchy. Could have been the protein, but I've never had a problem doing hard core protein in the past. Oh well...better luck on Wednesday night I hope!

See, that makes me scared of protein! I think the Silicon Mix I used has a little protein, but I could totally be off-base. But in general, a lot of protein treatments leave my hair feeling beyond parched.

Ok, I'm going to attempt another set tonight. I'm DCing now. I'm gonna try rinsing really well and I may do a light shampoo so my hair isn't weighed down. I'm crossing my fingers for some more bounce.
I'm really bad at rinsing my hair, how long do you guys usually rinse out conditioner for?
I don't really last for more than 20 seconds. :perplexed

Hi ladies, I've just done another good rollerset. All I used was some leave in and nothing else; hair feels really nice!

For my next rollerset, I'm going to try and kick it up a notch and attempt piggyback rollersetting. Now if folks think normal rollersetting is tricky, this really does look as if you would need a super amount of patience and you need to be accurate with the partings and neat but I'm going to try it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmWNK5hodtg&feature=related

Last edited:
I'm still roller-setting away, waiting on a haul of Dominican products I ordered online. They should be here by the 25th; I'll try to post pics by this weekend.

Hi ladies, I've just done another good rollerset. All I used was some leave in and nothing else; hair feels really nice!

For my next rollerset, I'm going to try and kick it up a notch and attempt piggyback rollersetting. Now if folks think normal rollersetting is tricky, this really does look as if you would need a super amount of patience and you need to be accurate with the partings and neat but I'm going to try it...

Smh, I can't!
That would definitely induce some major rollersetting rage. :rofl:

After you're done, take lots of pictures?
I bet it'll come out cute.

Ok, I'm going to attempt another set tonight. I'm DCing now. I'm gonna try rinsing really well and I may do a light shampoo so my hair isn't weighed down. I'm crossing my fingers for some more bounce.
I'm really bad at rinsing my hair, how long do you guys usually rinse out conditioner for?

I spend at least a minute rinsing it out and I use very cold water. It's not the most comfortable experience but it's done to seal and smooth the cuticle and it really gives shine.

Smh, I can't!
That would definitely induce some major rollersetting rage. :rofl:

After you're done, take lots of pictures?
I bet it'll come out cute.

You know I was looking at it and I was thinking booyyyy have you really got the patience for that? :lachen: But I've challenged myself now so I will. :grin: I won't attempt it until my hair is freshly relaxed though.

Yeah if it looks decent I'll take some pics!

Macherie did a tutorial on "beach waves" using satin pillow rollers on dry hair. I think it would have a similar effect....

Please post pics of your results!

*off topic* why are those expert village tutorials always so short????

I use to use lacio lacio but stopped liking it, at first it was good though.

Lacio Lacio (a Dominican leave in conditioner), sweet almond oil and my man's shine pomade for his locs. But honestly, the Lacio and oil were enough alone. I was just curious and tried the pomade out anyway.

it's funny we both had questionable rollersets on Monday, I used a different leave in that I never used and it didn't mix well with my rusk str8. i'll do another set tomorrow or friday and i'll make sure to stick with what I know works.

I rinse for a while, seperate the hair make sure to really get the water in every section, you can feel when it's rinsed out well, it's hard to explain :perplexed

yeah i've thought of trying the piggyback, but I just now i'll mess it up and end up getting mad lol!

let us know if you do it and how it comes out.

Just finished my weekly rollerset. They keep getting better and faster. After my whole dc, and wash session, I did a final rinse with Porosity Control with chilling cold water. I applied a nickel sized amount of Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave in and a dab of Chi Silk Infusion to the ends only. I used the Mohawk method with various sized rollers. Sprayed with SE Heat Protect and sat under the dryer. After drying, I then applied a little EVCO and wrapped with Saran wrap for 15 minutes under the dryer. My curls are so bouncy full.

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose on dry hair with heat is the truth!

I just roller set. I did it pretty fast too. I should have timed it though. I'm drying now. I did mostly mohawk but I have to use two ponytails or else I won't fit under the soft bonnet. It is getting faster. I hardly rewet my hair.

I'm going to do my second rollerset today. This time I'm going to do a rinse conditioner before my deep conditioner. And I'm going to do a hot oil treatment with my Vatika Enriched Coconut Oil (possibly - not 100% on the HOT yet).

Last edited:
Just did a roller set. I want to try a new style though. I have only 12 smaller red rollers (don't know the diameter). Maybe I should buy more of those for a curlier style :scratchch

Just did a roller set. I want to try a new style though. I have only 12 smaller red rollers (don't know the diameter). Maybe I should buy more of those for a curlier style :scratchch

You should get some in three sizes (that's what I have). I put the smaller rollers on the straighter/thinner parts of my hair (like the back and the sides). The smaller rollers in these areas give me a tighter curl. The big rollers, I put in my crown area (the coarsest part of my hair). These give me the big, romantic curls.

Sitting under the dryer. Got faster at rolling this week :)

I did my rinse conditioner (I use a Dominican one, Palomas, that actually is called a "rinse") first after my shampoo. Then, I did my deep conditioner for 20 mins. I mixed Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Silicon Mix (a Dominican conditioner), EVOO, sweet almond oil and Dabur Vatika Enriched Coconut Oil (I love this stuff! It has sooo many different kinds of natural oils in it!) together. Put on my conditioning cap, and voila! My hair had so much slip and was totally shiny when I rinsed it out.

I'll let ya'll know if I notice any difference this week.

I did my weekly rollerset last night. I pre pooed on dry hair for two hours with aburt's Bees Avocado Butter, Umberto Pre shampoo treatment and a mix of Evco and Evoo on my roots. I shampooed with Ion Clarifier. Sat under dryer for 30 minutes with UBH Deep Conditioner. Rinsed dc out and applied AOHSR while I shaved my legs. Lol! Applied my new favorite NTM Silk Touch leave in and a tiny bit of Chi Silk Infusion on my ends. I used all red rollers this time for tighter curls. Sat under the dryer for one hour. I was too tired to silk wrap, so I loosely tied on a dorag and called it a night.

This morning, I combed my hair done and I'm very pleased with the results. My hair is soft and silky and my curls didn't completely flatten. I can't believe the shine! I'm really starting to like rollersetting!

I just realized that your the member whose pic reminds me of kimora :)

I just realized how long your hair is, I don't know how you do it, do you use the jumbo purple rollers? I think they are 3 inches.

Nice set your having consistent good sets,
last week I used a product I never used before and my set came out kind of oily:ohwell:

this week i'm just washing and drying under the hood without rollersetting, getting lazy :look:

Hi Ladies :)

I'm not a member of the challenge, but I just wanted to let you know that I have been following you guys and admire your dedication! I've been trying to increase my rollersetting, but I'm not ready to "commit". I keep coming back to this thread for inspiration, and am never disappointed.

Keep up the good work!

I didn't roller set this week. I did a braid out. I am totally hating my hair right now... I see hair everywhere(bathroom,floor,broom,mop) EVERYWHERE!!!

small update did a set, blew the roots, flatironed (for light trim). hair is 10x's healthier than when I first started rollersetting. mind ya'll my last relaxer was November 09, I just don't feel like relaxing. since I haven't flat ironed in a while I washed with Mizani's reconstructing poo and used their gelee conditioner just to protect my hair, to fight the newgrowth I love rusk's str8 straightening leave in, and used a little giovanni direct leave in.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

erased my face, looked a hot mess have insomnia :(

Last edited:
awwwww come on join :drunk: do it.........

Hi Ladies :)

I'm not a member of the challenge, but I just wanted to let you know that I have been following you guys and admire your dedication! I've been trying to increase my rollersetting, but I'm not ready to "commit". I keep coming back to this thread for inspiration, and am never disappointed.

Keep up the good work!

Back