Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

Hey Ladies, I have been rollersetting and it stll take me a little bit to put them in. My only problem is that I'm not getting them in tight enough. Other than that, everything is going great. I rollerset everytime i wash which is about twice a week.

hey day dreamer are the rollers falling out? you don't want them too tight, too much tension can cause breakage, pull them at an angle/slant pull the hair a little taut and roll while keeping the rollers at an angle, giselle made a video its' on one of these pages.

you still rollerset on wet hair, but you have to make sure the hair is VERRRRY moisturized and wet before you even start to roll. this is when you may have to pull out that spray bottle, I notice that newgrowth dries quicker.

when I was deep into a stretch I used garnier fructise sleek and shine(heard they may have changed the ingredients) it kept my new growth soooo soft and manageable. last year I used silk elements moisturizing line the conditioner melted my newgrowth as well great stuff.

The better slip you have on newgrowth and relaxed hair the better it really helps with the combing and rolling,

but with lots of newgrowth I wouldn't focus on getting the newgrowth part rolled tight for straightness at all recipe for disaster.

also dry on a lower heat want to keep as much moisture in the hair as you can.

sometimes you have to turn to the blower or flat iron :ohwell: but on the roots.

I think the biggest mistake we all make when rollersetting with newgrowth is trying to get the newgrowth straight which no matter what you do it's just not gonna happen the newgrowth is strong :lachen:and will do what it wants to do.

so don't roll tight even with freshly relaxed hair.

when I couldn't take it anymore I got cornrows :grin: for a month.

yes, i'm a bit baffled by the rollersetting with ng problems, too.

so should we rollerset on wet hair or dry hair?

which method decreases the possibility of breakage?

thanks ladies!

it may just be the products drying your hair out then causing it to be fragile and snap easier,

I learned the hard way to stay away from anything dr. miracle :nono:

:wallbash:

Hope not but I'll be using larger rollers. The spongy kind with a smooth surface and I'll get back to you all on it. I was just so shocked because my hair was growing and to have the spot breakage was very disappointing :wallbash:

i suppose the difficulty i'm having with this rollersetting method is that many times, my hair will turn out stringy and kind of greasy looking, even though it's freshly washed.

i'm having a very difficult time finding the balance between wet and moisturized and wet and greasy. (on dry hair, i can "see" when it's getting heavy, but on wet hair, it just "looks" the same...)

also, my biggest challenge is to rollerset without using cones as i'm trying a no-cone time frame to see if my breakage stops.

oh, and btw, i, too, have heard that dr. miracle is anything but a miracle!
i read of how it broke some lady's hair off badly!

^^yeah, I was using dr. m's relaxer for a while thought it was the ish until one day I noticed my hair was ashy looking and brittle :( never again!

to keep from over applying products while the hairs wet just use a dime size amount or smaller, you can always add more once your hair is dry.

we gotta make sure our hair has mad body lol!

also, my biggest challenge is to rollerset without using cones as i'm trying a no-cone time frame to see if my breakage stops.

people really love giovanni direct leave in on this board, though they recently changed their formula....
It has no cones though.
I've never used the leave in but I love their other products that I've tried. The direct leave in seems perfect for roller sets it's really light. It's medium priced, I think like 7 bucks.

You can also try Shescentit Coco Creme Leave-In Conditioner, I've heard it's good for roller sets.
I don't have these because I'm a PJ in rehab and I need to use up what I have, but trust me they are on my never ending list. :giggle:
but these products have gotten good reviews on the board. :yep:

how did their wet wrap come out? I know some folks don't do them right.

It came out really nice no tangles while she was wrapping and my hair was really moisturized, light and bouncy. She did a protein/moisture treatment with Mizani Kerafuse and hydrafuse. The best thing is that she gave me a mirror prior to trimming so I can watch her and I was able to talk in LHCF lingo with her:lachen:. I loved that she complimented me on my healthy hair since the last time she did it on 2008. She started asking me if I do protein treatments and make sure I follow up with DC. She talked to me about weekly DC not putting to much products or heat on my fine hair(which I knew about all of that from LHCF). She is the only stylist I went to that applied a heat protectant to my hair before lightly flat ironing which only took about 5 mins. My friend has been going to her for awhile and she is great with healthy hair care but okay with styling.

This pic is dark I don't have a flash on my camera but this is after my trim.

iw6jip.jpg

tell me more about this breakage...what's going on? I didn't even notice that.
have you examined your broken and shed hairs? where do they break off from?

I am subscribing and want to join this challenge. I've been getting really lazy when it comes to rollersetting.

1. What rollers will you be using? Just plastic rollers (all sizes).
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.) My Redken serum & coconut oil.
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Length and more control than airdrying my hair allows me.
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? Yes, on the roots (along with a flatiron on the roots).
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Hooded dryer.
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc) My Denman.

Last edited:
Ok, so I roller set today, I'm one week post an under-processed relaxer. First off I used Joico Kpak reconstruct conditioner today (the one in the bottle not the tube) and it was amazing, I'm gonna write that in every thread for awhile.....
anyway, I roller set today with one leave in only (miracle 7 in 1) and I didn't re-apply it at all longhairlover!!! :bdance: Even when I re-wet my hair I didn't re-apply my leave in. yay! So I'm hoping for a good set.

I did a mohawk down the back and ponytails on the sides because of time constraints and because a traditional set doesn't fit under the soft bonnet....I have to get a good dryer before I do those anymore.
I did add oil to my ponytail holders though, I dunked them in hairveda vatika frosting...
that was interesting, I also tried to put oil on one of the rollers but that was just weird. I'll try that next time...

Also, even though I used the joico k pak for a couple of minutes, I still got breakage. My hair is pissing me off these days....I dunno

I'll vouch for the SheScentIt...it's some good stuff.

It's lighter than LTR, and I think it's a little more moisturizing too. And it has panthenol, which helps give the hair volume and bounce. And it's good as a regular moisturizer.
I wish I could find it locally though....I hate ordering online from small companies, because of the shipping.

Checkin’ in…I am still in the mix – rollersetting 3-4 times a week. I am mainly doing my 3 gray/grey rollers in the back (so-called protective style) …when I go out or have an event I will do an all over rollerset/wrap ….

Alternating the Mousses, Lottabody, Aphogee Green Tea/Aphogee ProVitamin - using Kerastase Leave In (with every set) –

OT…that Joico K-Pak Vapor Fuel Flat Iron sure is tempting and I do not even know how to flat iron my own hair….I think it would be cool for those who stretch for long periods and rollerset for straightening out the roots (have yet to try that)

^^ yeah that flat iron looks interesting, maybe i'll buy it this summer. I haven't flat ironed in sooooo long though. I think before i'm 100% convinced i'll have to see more proof of it's abilities.

lol! did you underprocess on purpose? try a heavy protein treatment if you haven't already. hair can be really b***hy sometimes with shedding and breakage :sad:. or maybe your hair doesn't like the ponytail holders on wet hair...................:perplexed

Ok, so I roller set today, I'm one week post an under-processed relaxer. First off I used Joico Kpak reconstruct conditioner today (the one in the bottle not the tube) and it was amazing, I'm gonna write that in every thread for awhile.....
anyway, I roller set today with one leave in only (miracle 7 in 1) and I didn't re-apply it at all longhairlover!!! :bdance: Even when I re-wet my hair I didn't re-apply my leave in. yay! So I'm hoping for a good set.

I did a mohawk down the back and ponytails on the sides because of time constraints and because a traditional set doesn't fit under the soft bonnet....I have to get a good dryer before I do those anymore.
I did add oil to my ponytail holders though, I dunked them in hairveda vatika frosting...
that was interesting, I also tried to put oil on one of the rollers but that was just weird. I'll try that next time...

Also, even though I used the joico k pak for a couple of minutes, I still got breakage. My hair is pissing me off these days....I dunno

she sounds like a good stylist. it looks nice after the trim, she was very cautious make sure you get her # sometimes stylists disappear before our eyes and she seems like a keeper.

I want to try that kerafuse/hydrafuse treatment one day.

It came out really nice no tangles while she was wrapping and my hair was really moisturized, light and bouncy. She did a protein/moisture treatment with Mizani Kerafuse and hydrafuse. The best thing is that she gave me a mirror prior to trimming so I can watch her and I was able to talk in LHCF lingo with her:lachen:. I loved that she complimented me on my healthy hair since the last time she did it on 2008. She started asking me if I do protein treatments and make sure I follow up with DC. She talked to me about weekly DC not putting to much products or heat on my fine hair(which I knew about all of that from LHCF). She is the only stylist I went to that applied a heat protectant to my hair before lightly flat ironing which only took about 5 mins. My friend has been going to her for awhile and she is great with healthy hair care but okay with styling.

This pic is dark I don't have a flash on my camera but this is after my trim.

iw6jip.jpg

I am new to rollersetting! I'm going to do it once a week on wash day (Friday or Saturday) using mostly perm rods and occassionally flexirods.

I was wondering how you ladies store your rollers? I have so many but not a good system for storing so what do you all do?

^^I store mine in a jumbo clear bag I found at the bss yrs ago, I have almost all the colors from beige to black. I sit them inside one another stacked,

I am going to get a rollercart though.......eventually, for all my hair tools

lol! did you underprocess on purpose? try a heavy protein treatment if you haven't already. hair can be really b***hy sometimes with shedding and breakage :sad:. or maybe your hair doesn't like the ponytail holders on wet hair...................:perplexed

nah it wasn't on purpose at all.....I used mizani butter blends mild and it was wayyy too mild for my previously underprocessed hair.

I don't know, my hair feels fine you know? That's the problem it's not dry or brittle really. It's just the limpness that's killing me, which I attribute to lack of protein?

I haven't tried a heavy protein treatment, maybe I will try my luck at the two step again soon.

I was wondering how you ladies store your rollers? I have so many but not a good system for storing so what do you all do?[/QUOTE]

I store mine in a gallon ziplock bag

I think that maybe last time, my hair was not damp enough because the hair was falling off the roller and the roller itself was a little slack. How anyone ever used duck bills clips instead of the short curling clips?

hey day dreamer are the rollers falling out? you don't want them too tight, too much tension can cause breakage, pull them at an angle/slant pull the hair a little taut and roll while keeping the rollers at an angle, giselle made a video its' on one of these pages.

Last edited:
I was wondering how you ladies store your rollers? I have so many but not a good system for storing so what do you all do?

I primarily use one size (red, lol) but I store them in one of the plastic zippered bags that sheets and blackets come in.

If you have muliple sizes that you want to store, I guess you could make a 'pegboard' (cant think of a good description) like some roller sets come with. If you decide to make one, you can PM me.

This is OT, but I also use the zippered bag from my comforter set to store my off-season shoes and accessories!

Ms. Alainous,
I never thought to use the comforter bags, but I have plenty of those. Right now I have just about every type of roller you can imagine in an old Children's Place bag that's busting at the seams...LOL! Not a good system at all! Thanks for the idea.

Did my weekly rollerset tonight. I'm getting much better. It only took me about 20 minutes tonight. I pre pooed with Burt's Bees and L'occitane Olive Oil mask. Shampoo with Kera Kare Humecto. Protein treatment with Aphogee 2 step. Then DC with Aubrey Organices Honeysuckle Rose, Loccitane Aromathologie Mask(just a little) and Porosity control condish with heat for 20 minutes. I applied Chi Silk to the ends and that's it. Another great rollerset. I'm digging using no product for these! I just finished Saran wrapping under the dryer for 15 minutes.

Checking in. Sitting under the dryer as I type this. I haven't done a rollerset in over a year, but I know this one is gonna be VERY good. My roots are completely straight already -- so I doubt I'll be doing much straightening after this. I'm sooo happy! I really believe my deep conditioning brought me these results.

I'll post pics/my regimen later.

Back