Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

Sharifeh, make sure you wrap the saran wrap with tension. I use the self stick saran wrap and add a little bit of oil sheen or light cream or oil to your hair then wrap with saran.

maybe try to rollerset with a light mist like leave in. something like keratin mist or nexxus humectress mist, but everywhere but your roots, the mists are really light and should leave the body in your hair, or use a bodifying leave in if you don't already.

hth :)

Friday I gave in and texlaxed at 10wks instead of my usual 12wks. I must say that the rollersets are getting easier. I used a lot of gray rollers down the middle this time and I like the results better. The only problem I am having is getting a moisturized look but still bouncy. I have verrrry fine strands so I can't apply anything but a water based leave in and water when rollersetting. All serums or heat protectants s make it stiff. If i have bounce then it looks dry then, if I use lacio lacio as a leave in to moisturize I don't have bounce. I don't have this problem when blow drying and flat ironing and I use se heat protectant, lacio lacio, eqp h two for leave in and it still 'swangs'. I don't know what to do

maybe try to rollerset with a light mist like leave in. something like keratin mist or nexxus humectress mist, but everywhere but your roots, the mists are really light and should leave the body in your hair, or use a bodifying leave in if you don't already.

okay thanks, I use the CHI keratin mist when I blowdry, I will try that and see. The silk elements olive heat protectant that I use has a very fine mist but I have not tried it with rollersets yet.

Just checking in. I did a rollerset yesterday with purple and red magnetics. Leave ins used were Pureology and Biolage Fortifying Leave in. I pin curled my hair and tied down with my scarf which resulted in a nice set of curls this morning. As a style I just pinned up my hair with a few loose tendrils. I will probably put some flexi rods in this evening, just about 5 or 6.

what would be a bodifying leave in? I'm having trouble with bounce too...Maybe I should use less chi silk infusion...

I wouldn't put that on wet hair, it might make it oily. I use silk elements regular heat protectant mist but only on dry hair.

okay thanks, I use the CHI keratin mist when I blowdry, I will try that and see. The silk elements olive heat protectant that I use has a very fine mist but I have not tried it with rollersets yet.

Count me in....I guess there's a first for everything!

1. What rollers will you be using? Orange/Purple flexirollers & satin pillow rollers
2. What products will you use to set? Ken Paves serum, some kind of setting lotion & leave in conditioner3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Length and health
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? For the first 3 months I will not used a blow dryer but will sleeping on a satin pillow case and doing wet sets the night before.
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? at first it will airdryer/then i will be using a hooded dryer the next 3 months
6. What styling tools will you be using? a rat tail comb for parting and then a wide tooth comb for the maintenance.

Last edited:
I don't mess with chi silk infusion, it really weighed my hair down and made it oily, and I know alot of folks like it but not for me.

I found this whole list of bodifying leave ins:
http://sleekhair.ecommerce-site-search.com/results.php?vwcatalog=SLEEKHAIR&query=bodifying

I would stick with something that has a consistency of a mousse instead of a gel, even though some of the products in the list are gels i'd stick to a more foamy type or lotion, but even then just use a little like a quarter size and put the most product on the ends to the middle part of the hair then put a little on your fingertips and massage the roots for volume boost,

also use bigger rollers, when I want more body I use the gray or black rollers, even if you can only roll once with the larger rollers they will give you TONS of body!

hth :grin:

what would be a bodifying leave in? I'm having trouble with bounce too...Maybe I should use less chi silk infusion...

Welcome to the board ;)

Count me in....I guess there's a first for everything!

1. What rollers will you be using? Orange/Purple flexirollers
2. What products will you use to set? Ken Paves serum, some kind of setting lotion & leave in conditioner3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Length and health
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? For the first 3 months I will not used a blow dryer but will sleeping on a satin pillow case and doing wet sets the night before.
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? at first it will airdryer/then i will be using a hooded dryer the next 3 months
6. What styling tools will you be using? a rat tail comb for parting and then a wide tooth comb for the maintenance.

Thanks! Aww man, I do roll with the gray rollers, I was thinking I might have better luck with the smaller ones.
Next time I'll try to be disciplined and apply my leave ins once.
I always apply them again when I re-wet my hair with the spray bottle! I can't help it! :rolleyes: :lachen:

I don't mess with chi silk infusion, it really weighed my hair down and made it oily, and I know alot of folks like it but not for me.

I found this whole list of bodifying leave ins:
http://sleekhair.ecommerce-site-search.com/results.php?vwcatalog=SLEEKHAIR&query=bodifying

I would stick with something that has a consistency of a mousse instead of a gel, even though some of the products in the list are gels i'd stick to a more foamy type or lotion, but even then just use a little like a quarter size and put the most product on the ends to the middle part of the hair then put a little on your fingertips and massage the roots for volume boost,

also use bigger rollers, when I want more body I use the gray or black rollers, even if you can only roll once with the larger rollers they will give you TONS of body!

hth :grin:

^^^that is causing your hair to act up, the double application of products. once you apply believe me the products are still there lol!

that is the main reason why when I rollerset I do not rewet my hair. I leave it soaking wet after I do my conditioner rinse.

and definitely don't reapply your products if you have to rewet.

I am under the dryer with my rollerset now. This week, I decided to forgo adding diluted Narobi foam wrap and only used water and Chi Silk Infusion from mid shaft to my hair ends. I must admit, it was much easier to rollerset with no product on my hair...easier to pull my hair taunt. I did spray a little heat protectant on before going under the dryer. I plan to silk wrap and go to bed! I'll post my results tomorrow.

This is a great thread/challenge! I just roller set last night for the first time in ages.

How are you ladies maintaining your hair during the week?

I'm informally joining!

*subscribing

^^^that is causing your hair to act up, the double application of products. once you apply believe me the products are still there lol!

that is the main reason why when I rollerset I do not rewet my hair. I leave it soaking wet after I do my conditioner rinse.

and definitely don't reapply your products if you have to rewet.

ok, I'll try next time :rolleyes: :lachen:

I must admit, it was much easier to rollerset with no product on my hair...easier to pull my hair taunt.

for real? I find the opposite to be true!! hurry up and post your results!!!!

This is a great thread/challenge! I just roller set last night for the first time in ages.

How are you ladies maintaining your hair during the week?

I'm informally joining!

*subscribing

zawaj, my hair is just in a bun or pinned up really lol
I try to moisturize daily, but ya after the second day that kind of stops too :lachen: :look:

I went to get my hair trimmed about 1/2 inch at the salon, I went to jcpenney because my stylist was booked for 2wks straight. I got a wet wrap and slight flat iron but I will rollerset this week when I color my hair.

Ladies,

I have a problem. I got a relaxer touch up this weekend and my styist said I have breakage in the front from the rollers in two spots. I think its from rolling and putting a winter cap on it on my to work every day. I do have a silky satin scarf on underneath the cap, but I need to roll every morning to have somewhat of a decent style. Any suggestions on what to do?

^^good to hear this sounds like it will be a great set :)

Thanks! This rollerset was great! The best yet! So for me, the only product I will be using is a little Chi Silk. After theme roller set, I applied a light moisturizer and a little coconut oil. I wrapped it back up with Saran wrap and sat under the dryer for 15 minutes. The shiniest, bounciest rollerset yet.

I do have one question though. I stretched my last relaxer to 12 weeks. I'm going for 16-20 weeks this time. I've heard from ladies that once the new growth really starts coming in that rollersets could possibly cause more damage than good. And that the point of demarcation(sp?) is too weak for the tension from rollersets. What are your thoughts on this? I may have to master braid outs if this is true. I'm already 10 weeks post.

I went to a pool party this weekend (indoor at NYSC) so i washed with ION
Anti chlorine swimmers shampoo..and then my regular routine...

I have been doing my rollers and honestly my wash days have gotten so much shorter and easy is amazing!

I was still getting rollersets done back in the day when I was a yr post, and never had any issues,

what I do at home is I don't pull the newgrowth tight, because too much tension may cause breakage, I roll the hair as usual but don't focus on trying to even get all that newgrowth straight,

I get it straight with a blowdryer or a flat iron on the roots.

But if you want to stay away from those tools then yeah maybe the braidouts will do better for you til you relax.

I still blow my roots out with my salerm brushing spray gets them relaxer straight I think I may be 10-13 wks post myself have to check my calendar :)

but i've never had any issues with rollersets and breakage you just have to be more gentle.

Thanks! This rollerset was great! The best yet! So for me, the only product I will be using is a little Chi Silk. After theme roller set, I applied a light moisturizer and a little coconut oil. I wrapped it back up with Saran wrap and sat under the dryer for 15 minutes. The shiniest, bounciest rollerset yet.

I do have one question though. I stretched my last relaxer to 12 weeks. I'm going for 16-20 weeks this time. I've heard from ladies that once the new growth really starts coming in that rollersets could possibly cause more damage than good. And that the point of demarcation(sp?) is too weak for the tension from rollersets. What are your thoughts on this? I may have to master braid outs if this is true. I'm already 10 weeks post.

1. how are you rolling your hair (wet, dry)?

2. what kind of rollers?

3. which direction are you rolling (away from face or towards)?

4. are you using moisturizing products?

it could be you are rolling too tight, your hair may not like the direction your rolling your hair. my hair is a finicky b :lachen:and I have had to change the way I roll certain sections to avoid breakage.

Ladies,

I have a problem. I got a relaxer touch up this weekend and my styist said I have breakage in the front from the rollers in two spots. I think its from rolling and putting a winter cap on it on my to work every day. I do have a silky satin scarf on underneath the cap, but I need to roll every morning to have somewhat of a decent style. Any suggestions on what to do?

that party sounds like it was fun :grin:

its' starting to take me longer to set because of some newgrowth:wallbash: guess it doesn't help that i'm starting to move like an old turtle :lachen:

I went to a pool party this weekend (indoor at NYSC) so i washed with ION
Anti chlorine swimmers shampoo..and then my regular routine...

I have been doing my rollers and honestly my wash days have gotten so much shorter and easy is amazing!

Will be doing a set today, soon actually just as soon as I can get my arse up out of this chair. :rolleyes:

I'll be using my new Aveda Emollient Finishing Gloss to hopefully give me some added shine! When done I'll pin curl and throw on my scarf. I've got the week off work this week so won't be doing too much to my hair really.

I've got to say I was troubled by this during my last stretch. I rollerset my hair right through to 20 weeks but it wasn't easy and I lost a lot of hair. I have to do it so much more slowwwllly when deep into a stretch. I'm going to have to evaluate whether I can do it this time round, because I had intended on doing braid and twist outs from 16+ weeks and implement a very low manipulation regi.

Last edited:
yes, i'm a bit baffled by the rollersetting with ng problems, too.

so should we rollerset on wet hair or dry hair?

which method decreases the possibility of breakage?

thanks ladies!

:wallbash:
1. how are you rolling your hair (wet, dry)?

I'm rolling wet (but it's not super wet). It's sprayed wet with product.

2. what kind of rollers?
With hard roller - beige (medium) yellow(small). Maybe I need to use bigger rollers. My curls are very tight, but they last during the day for sure.

3. which direction are you rolling (away from face or towards)?
Under in the back but down towards the fact in the front.

4. are you using moisturizing products?

Yes, I use Dr. Miracle Leave in with Africa's Best Leave in Conditioner. This combo make my hair dry naturally in about 1 hour.

it could be you are rolling too tight, your hair may not like the direction your rolling your hair. my hair is a finicky b :lachen:and I have had to change the way I roll certain sections to avoid breakage.

Hope not but I'll be using larger rollers. The spongy kind with a smooth surface and I'll get back to you all on it. I was just so shocked because my hair was growing and to have the spot breakage was very disappointing :wallbash:

Back