Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

I have been rollersetting for a while now and my wet hair roller set is getting much better. Will be doing it tomorrow afer my relaxer. I am gonna get it doe because after my relaxer mishap in december, all i have done is wash and cowash ever since I took out the braids. The new growth underneath is controlable but I have not had straight hair in a while so it will be a nice chage. Have not had a proper rel;axer since June of 09.

I'm interested in feedback on your ceramic rollers!! I hope you like them, as I want to purchase them myself

^^^ I have molasses and don't know what to do with it,

how do you use your molasses and what do you mix it with? I bought it because in Dec. I found my first gray strand :( and I heard it helps to keep your hair dark.

aww hopefully this stylist will do your relaxer well. just watch them like a hawk.

I have been rollersetting for a while now and my wet hair roller set is getting much better. Will be doing it tomorrow afer my relaxer. I am gonna get it doe because after my relaxer mishap in december, all i have done is wash and cowash ever since I took out the braids. The new growth underneath is controlable but I have not had straight hair in a while so it will be a nice chage. Have not had a proper rel;axer since June of 09.

I am officially ending this challenge. I am currently working on learning how to braid until I BC. Thank you for letting mr join you guys for a while.

I just have a quick question, I use these rollers:

AphroditePinRollers.jpg

They are the only rollers that I have ever used and I don't have a problem with them but I'm thinking of switching to magnetic rollers because most of you guys here that use them have fantastic results. Which one is better? If you have another suggestion, please let me know.

^^^^ ooooo ahhhhhh don't forget to post about that leave in, i've been wondering if pureology products are good or not.

I also used a new conditioner in conjunction with the pureology, I was less than impressed with the conditioner so it's tricky to comment objectively about the leave in. I'm going to use a regular condish tomorrow and try the pureology again so will come back to give my review.

AphroditePinRollers.jpg

They are the only rollers that I have ever used and I don't have a problem with them but I'm thinking of switching to magnetic rollers because most of you guys here that use them have fantastic results. Which one is better? If you have another suggestion, please let me know.

It looks like a torture device.
And I honestly think that smooth rollers are better for hair than rollers with teeth, just because most people set their hair wet, and when hair is wet, it's fragile. The thought of rolling up wet hair in those teeth things is scary to me. :covereyes So in my mind, smooth magnetics are always going to be best for the hair. But at the same time, if you've been using these ones and your hair is doing fine, then carry on, unless you are just curious about magnetics and want to try them. No point in messing with something that is working for you. :yep:

Also, is anyone here using the rollersetting bobby pins from Sally's?!
I got some and used them last week and I was so happy! I shaved about 15 minutes off my setting time, there was no ripping of hair when I took them out, and best of all, the rollers were held in so nicely and tightly. When there's another Sally's sale, I'm going back to buy another pack.
I'm never going back to those horrible clips. :happydance:

Also, is anyone here using the rollersetting bobby pins from Sally's?!
I got some and used them last week and I was so happy! I shaved about 15 minutes off my setting time, there was no ripping of hair when I took them out, and best of all, the rollers were held in so nicely and tightly. When there's another Sally's sale, I'm going back to buy another pack.
I'm never going back to those horrible clips. :happydance:

what are these roller setting bobby pins you speak of? :look:

what do they look like?

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Premium-Roller-Pins/MTAGRP3,default,pd.html

the ones I have though are in a tin it's a small pack not as many clips as the ones in the pic.

I use to use these, I bought a new pack just in case I want to switch it up from the slide in pins, I love these pins! I use them for buns everything! they do not snag your hair at all like the cheapine pins, the tips are super duper thick and strong.

these pins are good if your just starting out or you just don't like the slide in metal clips.

do these rollers give you a smooth set? I would mainly use them on dry hair, but if they set your hair good i'd say stick with them.

I just like the magnetic because you get smooth sets, but it's all on the person's preference.

AphroditePinRollers.jpg

very nice! and silky, I like doing the saran wrap, at first I hated it and it wouldn't come out right but now I like it.

Hi Ladies,

I meant to post pictures of my very first self rollerset from two weeks ago. I rollerset, then did a saran wrap silk wrap. Here they are:

rollerset109002.jpg
rollerset109005.jpg

rollerset109008.jpg
rollerset109009.jpg

rollerset109010.jpg

what are these roller setting bobby pins you speak of? :look:

what do they look like?

What longhairlover said. :yep:
They have like..extra rubber on the ends and are strong, so you can just slide them in. You don't even have to open them up first like you would with the regular bobby pins. They just slip between the hairs...no pulling or ripping.

Lol, I feel like such a dodo bird, always walking past these things in Sally's, telling myself that I don't need them. :spinning:

^^ it's funny because I use them for everything, i've had them for a fews years and they are still whole, you know most bobby pins fall apart and snatch your hair.

how's the rollersetting going ladies? since i've started working out i've been doing more twistouts, and rollersetting on the weekend when I don't work out as hard.

I also think i'm at the 10weeks post relaxer stage so the roots are no joke :)

Thank you Chaosbutterfly and longhairlover. I'll stick to the ones I use for now but when I due to buy new rollers, I'll try the magnetic ones

I was thinking of washing my hair but for some reason I just don't have the energy for it.

Me too!
I've done everything possible to put it off...I did my homework, watched some tv, played outside in the snow, ate some food, and read a little bit. Now I have nothing left to do, and my mind is telling me to get my lazy behind off my bed and start wash day.
But I don't even feel like it, even though I know my hair really needs the attention.

Hi everyone. Thursday was my "wash night". I pre-pooed with Burt's Bees Avocado butter on dry hair this time. Much better results. Shampoo with Trader Joe's Tea Tree. Followed with Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor. Then I D/Ced with my newly acquired sample of L'occitane Aromathologie Hair Mask with heat for 30 minutes.

I applied two pumps of Narobi foam wrap to my hair. A dime sized amount of Chi Silk Infusion to my ends only and used magnetic rollers. Sat under the dryer for 45 minutes. Then I applied a little EVCO and silk wrapped my hair using Saran wrap under the dryer for 15 minutes.

This is by far the best roller set yet! My hair had lots of body and shine! I got a lot of compliments at work on Friday. This roller setting is getting a little easier for me. Yay!!!

Hi everyone! I am still roller setting once a week. I have not been rolling my hair upwards lately (except the rollers by the ears. I've even been wrapping my hair sometimes :shocked:

Today I:
-washed with Isoplus Neutralizing shampoo
- conditioned with a mixture of Porosity Control Conditioner and Mane 'n Tail Conditioner (I had to go back to an oldie but goodie because my hair was suffering).
-I also went back to another oldie but goodie for my leave-in: Motions Nourish Leave-in Spray). I can't wait to see my hair on tomorrow.

As you can see from my profile pic, I had to cut off a lot of damaged hair due to neglect and change in climate. But with deep conditioning and roller setting (plus my egg shake) I know that my hair will bounce back!

:lachen:@ the bold part, I still play in the snow too :)
I ended up doing it at like 4am, I need to get a life already lol!

Me too!
I've done everything possible to put it off...I did my homework, watched some tv, played outside in the snow, ate some food, and read a little bit. Now I have nothing left to do, and my mind is telling me to get my lazy behind off my bed and start wash day.
But I don't even feel like it, even though I know my hair really needs the attention.

sorry to hear about your setback, your hair still looks great.
I had issues last year too,
with rollersetting only my hair is back flourishing, the same will happen for you quick.

Hi everyone! I am still roller setting once a week. I have not been rolling my hair upwards lately (except the rollers by the ears. I've even been wrapping my hair sometimes :shocked:

Today I:
-washed with Isoplus Neutralizing shampoo
- conditioned with a mixture of Porosity Control Conditioner and Mane 'n Tail Conditioner (I had to go back to an oldie but goodie because my hair was suffering).
-I also went back to another oldie but goodie for my leave-in: Motions Nourish Leave-in Spray). I can't wait to see my hair on tomorrow.

As you can see from my profile pic, I had to cut off a lot of damaged hair due to neglect and change in climate. But with deep conditioning and roller setting (plus my egg shake) I know that my hair will bounce back!

how was the L'occitane conditioner? I read the thread on it.

Hi everyone. Thursday was my "wash night". I pre-pooed with Burt's Bees Avocado butter on dry hair this time. Much better results. Shampoo with Trader Joe's Tea Tree. Followed with Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor. Then I D/Ced with my newly acquired sample of L'occitane Aromathologie Hair Mask with heat for 30 minutes.

I applied two pumps of Narobi foam wrap to my hair. A dime sized amount of Chi Silk Infusion to my ends only and used magnetic rollers. Sat under the dryer for 45 minutes. Then I applied a little EVCO and silk wrapped my hair using Saran wrap under the dryer for 15 minutes.

This is by far the best roller set yet! My hair had lots of body and shine! I got a lot of compliments at work on Friday. This roller setting is getting a little easier for me. Yay!!!

I would like to join. I bought a Pibbs 514 so I intend to only use indirect heat, do a lot of protective styling, and being very gentle with my hair.

1. What rollers will you be using? I will be using the 3-inch rollers so that it would dry the fastest. If I want to do a low-mani style, I'd probably use the 1-inch rollers.

2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.) This is the first time I am attempting to rollerset my own hair. So I am in the market to find the best products. My stylist uses Elucence Conditioner as a leave-in, then adds some Nairobi Foam Wrap. I may adopt that technique until I find something better. I will definitely incorporate Chi Silk Infusion.

3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)?
-I want to minimize breakage. The top of my head has a lot of breakage, and I have no idea why.
-My goal for the last two years was to focus more on fullness rather than length. Since I have finally achieved that, I am now focusing on length. I hope to be full BSL (unstretched) by December 2010.

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? Maybe towards the end of my stretch I would try to blowdry my roots. I just don't know how to do that in a way that wouldn't cause breakage.

5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? I'll be using the Pibbs 514 baby :yep:

6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc).
- I will detangle my hair with a good leave-in, then I'll add a little Chi Silk Infusion. To rollerset, I'll probably have a spray bottle with 80% water and a little setting lotion and moisturizer mixed in.

I'm excited! I rode the coat tails of my hairdresser for the last two years and never really took control of my hair. It was quick and convenient, but way too pricey to get a wash and set twice a month :perplexed So I will go to her for relaxers (4/30/10, 7/30/10, 10/30/10) and for special events. Other than that, I will wash my hair once a week and I look forward to the progress!

phew! I roller set my hair today the traditional way since I just relaxed it. Wow! It took me only about 5 years, My sides are just terrible and they don't cooperate! :nono: I put my sides in two rows, I parted at my ear. Should I make 3 rows?
I also need to go to Sally's and get those roller safe pins ya'll are talking about.
My mohawk ain't nothing to write home about either. I always seem to make the part too big.

Friday I gave in and texlaxed at 10wks instead of my usual 12wks. I must say that the rollersets are getting easier. I used a lot of gray rollers down the middle this time and I like the results better. The only problem I am having is getting a moisturized look but still bouncy. I have verrrry fine strands so I can't apply anything but a water based leave in and water when rollersetting. All serums or heat protectants s make it stiff. If i have bounce then it looks dry then, if I use lacio lacio as a leave in to moisturize I don't have bounce. I don't have this problem when blow drying and flat ironing and I use se heat protectant, lacio lacio, eqp h two for leave in and it still 'swangs'. I don't know what to do

I'm saran wrapping now, but I don't know what I'm doing lol....
I just put saran wrap on my wrapped hair and went under the dryer lol

Back