Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

I want to be in for this challenge. I have seen a few ladies on here who have achieved great lengths with rollersetting. I was going to accomplish this challenge by going to this really nice Dominican Salon called Claudia's in Silver Springs, MD. But I will go from time to time, it's just that I also bought the rollersetting DVD from Macherie HealthyTextures, so I decided I should and by the time I get to be gr8 I will probably have my Pibbs 514 by then. OOOOHHHH.

1. What rollers will you be using?

I'm using magnetic rollers that I bought from Sallys, the grey and the purple ones

2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)

I bought lottabody setting lotion today because that's what they do at Claudia's when I go. However, I have noticed that Macherie uses Neutrogena triple moisture leave in and they she puts water in a spray bottle. So after I try both methods I will decide which one is best.

3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)?

I want to achieve length because since growing my hair in 2006 ( late 2006) I am not happy with my results because I always end up trimming and trimming. So I want to rollerset and then bun my hair all week.

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?

No I don't think that I will!

5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer?

I will be using a hooded dryer, the kind they sell at Sally's. I am hoping to get my pibbs by my birthday next month.

6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc)

I will be using a fine tooth comb. I am pretty much following the directions in the Healthy textures DVD. If you don't have it and don't know how to roller set well get your copy. Even if you don't learn anything, looking at her gorgeous hair is inspiring.

Hello Ladies:

I want to join in this challenge. I made my 2009 Goal of SL but my current regimen is to blow dry and then flat iron and I think my ends are not benefiting from the excessive heat. I want to keep retaining length so I'm going to start roller setting, I think it will help me.

1. What rollers will you be using?
Magnetic (currently red and yellow may get some purple ones)

2. What products will you use to set?
CHI silk infusion, Elasta QP Design Foam, diluted Lottabody

3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)?
Both. Health and Length

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?
Will flat-iron roots after 8+ weeks

5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer?
Currently using Hot Tools Professional hood dryer (but I want a Pibbs if I get good at this :yep:)

Clips, fine and wide tooth comb

----------

I haven't done this since college so first I decided to do a roller set before I jumped all in (lol).

After I flat-ironed the roots and then did a saran wrap, it looked okay for 11 weeks post.

I'll wrap it tonight and put Elasta QP mango butter on my edges to lay down the new growth.

Here are my pic results (ignore my raggedy ends, lol)

Rollerset.jpg

What I learned from this first roller set:

I don't think I got my ends wet enough (I used spray bottle but I didn't totally saturate from root to ends--I think this is why my rollerset came out sort of dry).

I need to find a quality rat-tail comb, the one that I had is really cheap and some of the teeth are melded together so I couldn't use it. I think if I had of smoothed the hair out more, it would have made a difference.

I used CHI silk infusion and then Elasta QP design foam plus the diluted Lottabody I think the foam and Lottabody made my hair crunchy (I think I used too much). Next time, I'll just stick with the CHI and use water--maybe read through this thread again and find other stuff to use.

I'm looking forward to learning more about roller setting from you ladies! I think is going to help me make my 2010 APL goal.

I'll be sure to check in with updates and what I've learned has worked for me!

xoxo

lmao! awww that's ok, i'm sure you've seen youtube vids where the people have gone on and on for about 10mins then only spend 5 on the actual styling I hate that.

i'm shy too, whenever I finally get a camera I probably won't talk either or if I do i'll keep it to a minimum.

I was too shy to talk lmao.

I recorded myself doing my rollers. As soon as my DH puts it together because i ran out of memory is abt 20 mins :nono:...I will show you guys...but please don't laugh at all my funny faces and when i almost knocked them off my head:lachen:

Great video Gissellr78. It's amazing that you completed a WL rollerset so effortlessly in under 20 minutes. Job well done !!!

hey ladies. I have a small problem that I am hoping that yall can help me with. When I do my roller sets, even though I sit under the dryer for 45 mins to dry properly, I am ending up with damp ends. What can I do to fix this?

TIA

Hey Ladies!!!

I did it! I rollerset my hair for the first time on Saturday! I'm so excited. I'll be back to post pics this evening. I put in Macherieamore's DVD, and I rollerset my hair while watching it. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Detangling and parting were no problem at all (being 1 week post probably helped), and it didn't take too long either.

I finished up with a saran wrap to wear it straight, and I was happy with the results.

Still not sure if it's worth it over air drying, which is effortless, but I liked the results.

Thanks for all of your support and encouragement. I'm officially a rollersetter.

what kind of dryer are you using? if your using a tabletop then you'd have to sit waaaay longer than 45 mins for some reason they take too long to dry the hair fully.

hey ladies. I have a small problem that I am hoping that yall can help me with. When I do my roller sets, even though I sit under the dryer for 45 mins to dry properly, I am ending up with damp ends. What can I do to fix this?

TIA

Yayy!!! How is the macherie dvd? I've been looking for that DVD all over the place.
Did it help a lot?

Yes, it's very good. She takes you step by step. She even gets in the shower and shampoos, DCs, etc. in the beginning. I sat there and literally rolled my entire head together with her.

I'm trying my first ponytail set right now. If it comes out nice I'll be doing this a lot more often. It's so much quicker than the mohawk. I'll try to take a pic of the end result.

Next rollerset I do (tomorrow) I'm going to use quite small rollers as I want some nice defined curls. Not been too pleased with my results lately, I think it might be my leave in (Rusk Smoother) it might be a bit too heavy for my hair when I'm only a few weeks post will try it again further into my stretch. Will go back to Lacio Lacio, I get the best results with this.

I'm in....

1. What rollers will you be using? Red magnetic and blue flexi rods (looking into purchasing curlformers and ceramic magnetic rollers in the future)

2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.) HE LTR, Aphogee, water, and EVOO/coconut oil
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? both
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? no blowdryer
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? hooded dryer
fine tooth and large tooth for detangling

I did my first co-wash and roller set last night. In my opnion, this rollerste came out much better than the previous one.I wish that I had taken a pic of this one.

^^ that's a good idea to document all the sets, I mean even document the products used and pics of the finished results. this would help for people to know which products are good and products to toss, I may try this.

Went "old school" this morning and pulled out the Lotta-Body...I used it along Aphogee Green Tea/Keratin leave in...that was a pretty nice combo. Didn't weigh down my hair at all (it doesn't take much)

^^^This is the key thing, once you have a good combination of products - stick with it! I'm still tinkering really!

Went "old school" this morning and pulled out the Lotta-Body...I used it along Aphogee Green Tea/Keratin leave in...that was a pretty nice combo. Didn't weigh down my hair at all (it doesn't take much)

Glad that Lottobody worked for you. I think I put in too much. My hair turned out really dry but then again, I'm 12 weeks post. Not a good combo.

Back