Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

I had a stressful rollerset yesterday. I washed, Dced, and did a mohawk trying to do buildable beauty's anchor method but I had a bad migraine. I thought about just air drying, but my hair comes out crunchy air dried, so I did a mediocre set. It still came out okay. lol some parts were a little frizzy
ponytail sets make my roots straighter but mohawk sets dry so much faster

yeah the section where the ponytail holder takes forever to dry, I don't do the ponytail method, I stick with the old school methods.

but at least it still came out ok.

^^ Ya the actual roller set part is still a huge headache for me but it will get better. I still love the results, so much better than air drying. I bun after I rollerset but I love the way my hair feels. I think I need more of the 2 inch gray rollers. I mainly use those. I have trouble getting my rolls neat. And my parts are a hot mess. :lol:

hello ladies-

here are some photos of my results from my rollerset:

i used elastic bands and parted my hair into 6 sections..three in the front, one in the center and 2 in the back.

picture.php

i was not initially 100% in love with the outcome, but no use in pouting over it too long.

i have since started digging it. i had it in a messy half up half down style today. a few people who i see almost everyday made positive comments on the length. i reminded them that it may seem odd that hair is as long as it is to them maybe because i wear wet buns quite a bit.

picture.php

picture.php

i am twisting my head at funny angle to capture enough light to make these photos. sorry for the poor quality of my photos. i dont have a flash.

thanks for all of the input on this thread. its enpowering to be able to learn how to create beautiful styles at home.

Last edited:
ok so where did you notice the breaking? was it from the ponytail section? or from the rollers?

what leave ins did you use, and roller size?

once you wrap the curls gonna drop you'll just have extra fluffy hair, to get some curl look back I put my hair up as if i'm doing a ponytail, twist the hair around and pin it up, wrap with a scarf and in the am I have some curls/waves.

hello longhairlover!

i am not sure where the breakage came from. there were several 3 inch or so long hairs on my floor and bathroom counter after i was done. i have not located where they came from just yet. i am thinking it may be the mid of my hair.

no, i didnt use any leave in cond. i used mizani wrap foam,a paul mitchell volumizing spray and some redken heat glide on my ends. they looked shiny and moist on the roller, but the ponytail sections were pretty crispy when i tried to comb thru the each section.

i used some pretty huge rollers on the rim of my hairline. i dont know the diameter of the roller, but i have pics of them posted up in my hair in this thread. i also used the next size smaller rollers in the mid of my head. these didnt hold a wave or curl either sadly.

totally open to suggestions!
thanks for helping me navigate through this.... you are pretty awesome!

Last edited:
Did you pre-soak the elastics in some kind of oil? Doing that helps keep it from drying out under the dryer, tightening up, and then ripping out your hair when you take them out.
And when you took out the elastics, did you cut them out or pull them out?

About the puffiness, just wrap it nice and tight and it'll probably be better. I'm convinced that there's almost no rollersetting goof up that a good overnight wrap won't fix. :lol:

thanks for the tips! i will mos def be soaking next time! great tip.

to answer your question, i cut them out.

i bought bright color elastic bands so i wouldn't have a hard time distinguishing between my hair and the band when it came time to snip snip.

the breakage was mostly symetrical 3 inch or so long hairs all formed in the shape of the rollers in the mid of my hair.

thanks again for the tip!

very ot: i love your siggie! i actually remember being in college in my dorm watching that episode with other girls on my floor. i always thought those people were fake until i had a classmate actually go on the show and what they were discussing was actually true......ok back to rollersetting ;)

Last edited:
This past Sunday for the first time I did not section my hair before rollersetting it. I just detangled and started rolling!!! The set came out good and I lost less hair by doing the random roller placement instead of sectioned roller placement.

i've had crunchy sets myself at times, and mostly the culprit was my leave in and or using too high of a heat, I was using 60-65 degrees on my dryer which was too hot, so I lowered that to 50-55 which yields a soft set, I guess that would be medium on a tabletop dryer for those that use them.

mixing too many different leave ins, i've noticed is also a problem and causes those crispy sets, try to use one or two the most but make sure they are creamy types,

the wrap lotions can cause crispy sets depending on amount used and mousse can also cause crispy sets too, so combined with wrapping lotion would be double the crisp imo.

if you want to use a heat protectant i'd use john frieda's serums, they are light and should mix well with wrapping lotion.

hello longhairlover!

i am not sure where the breakage came from. there were several 3 inch or so long hairs on my floor and bathroom counter after i was done. i have not located where they came from just yet. i am thinking it may be the mid of my hair.

no, i didnt use any leave in cond. i used mizani wrap foam,a paul mitchell volumizing spray and some redken heat glide on my ends. they looked shiny and moist on the roller, but the ponytail sections were pretty crispy when i tried to comb thru the each section.

i used some pretty huge rollers on the rim of my hairline. i dont know the diameter of the roller, but i have pics of them posted up in my hair in this thread. i also used the next size smaller rollers in the mid of my head. these didnt hold a wave or curl either sadly.

totally open to suggestions!
thanks for helping me navigate through this.... you are pretty awesome!

Are you ladies moisturizing your hair in between sets? I feel I have to since I'm so deep into a relaxer stretch.
Thanks ladies for all the tips such as wetting the roller and soaking the elastics in oil. Great ideas, I'm going to try next time.

ladies my spiral set only lasted about a day because i did not pin curl when I went to bed, also I notice that my ends seemed really tangled and I was losing alot of hair when finger combing. So now I need to go back practicing on mohawk method because spiral sets may give me a major setback. I am shooting for APL by June.

^^^ I only use castor oil and joico color therapy styling oil between sets. Water based moisturizers do not work well for me.

Checking in. I haven't been rollersetting.Just have my hair in a french roll. My job is holding a big banquet this Sat. so I'll rollerset then. Have a great week everyone!

I just did the worst rollerset of my life! i'm sooooo mad right now.
I was reading a blog and it was saying to make sure to use end papers because they protect your ends from the hot clips.
now normally I stay FAAAAR away from end papers because of past bad experiences with them.

so today I decided to try at them again, I go to sally's buy the jumbo end papers, wash, condition and proceed with the rollerset.

as I thought my hair is not smooth on the rollers, when I was trying to apply the end papers some of the hair would fall out of it, I couldn't fold them on some of the sections, just a nightmare, so i'm under the dryer anticipating a bad outcome or frizzy f'd up ends and ripply hair because some of the strands are not smooth and I refused to try to smooth them, how could I smooth them anyway with the darn end papers.

so ladies stay away from end papers!

I could see how spirals and straw sets can cause severe tangles. that sucks, I would say if you do them again before washing use a detangling spray like just for me or something.

this hair setting stuff can be real annoying.

ladies my spiral set only lasted about a day because i did not pin curl when I went to bed, also I notice that my ends seemed really tangled and I was losing alot of hair when finger combing. So now I need to go back practicing on mohawk method because spiral sets may give me a major setback. I am shooting for APL by June.

I just did the worst rollerset of my life! i'm sooooo mad right now.
I was reading a blog and it was saying to make sure to use end papers because they protect your ends from the hot clips.
now normally I stay FAAAAR away from end papers because of past bad experiences with them.

so today I decided to try at them again, I go to sally's buy the jumbo end papers, wash, condition and proceed with the rollerset.

as I thought my hair is not smooth on the rollers, when I was trying to apply the end papers some of the hair would fall out of it, I couldn't fold them on some of the sections, just a nightmare, so i'm under the dryer anticipating a bad outcome or frizzy f'd up ends and ripply hair because some of the strands are not smooth and I refused to try to smooth them, how could I smooth them anyway with the darn end papers.

so ladies stay away from end papers!

Don't let todays rollerset ruin your day...you could always do a silk wrap to smooth out your hair afterwards.

^^your right questionable, I have an issue with trying to perfect everything and when things go bad, I get mad.

thank you for the support :)

and I will make sure to set that box of end papers on fire outside somewhere lol!

I would like to join. Since I'm on my phone I'll have to answer the questions later. I'm thinking I'll only be in this challenge a few months. I'll be back.

it's crazy because to me the ends were even smoother than without the using the end papers, and believe me I smooth those ends on the rollers, I guess the end papers do serve a purpose.

the rollerset came out good too, i'm shocked because I thought it would be disastrous.

I know what you mean..especially since you have to sit under the dryer forever, you want the end results to be perfect.

^^^So I guess you wont be setting that box of end papers on fire after all...that's good to know that it helps to use end papers even with the magnetic rollers.

Thanks LHL...maybe I'll try this method on my next wash day. :yep:

lol!!! I just can't let the end papers defeat me :lachen:
if you try it just beware, it's a challenge when using them on yourself so go in with lots of patience. beware.

^^^So I guess you wont be setting that box of end papers on fire after all...that's good to know that it helps to use end papers even with the magnetic rollers.

Thanks LHL...maybe I'll try this method on my next wash day. :yep:

I'm getting nervous after reading these posts. I went out and bought 8 packs of flexi rods. I'm about to attempt my first one now.

Please sign me up for the roller challenge.

1. What rollers will you be using? I'm using the beige and yellow magnetic rollers. I'm getting new roller pins because if the rubber tips are damaged, my hair gets snagged.

2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
Using Africa's Best Leave in Conditioner with Elasta QP Mango Butter Moisturizer

3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)?
I would like to achieve length and thickness with no split ends.

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?

Yes, blowdrying as needed.

5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer?
I'm using a bonnet dryer. It's takes up less storage space and it's all I have.

6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc)
I use a hard rubber wide pick and spray some oil sheen as a finishing touch.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

oh yeah, and I don't towel dry my hair once I rinse out my conditioner I add my leave in and don't wring the hair, it's wet enough for me to do my whole head and it stays wet, to me over saturating the hair with water just causes it to take longer to dry.

and the bigger the rollers you'll be dry even quicker.

Wow...then that means that my rollersets will be dry in 20 minutes!!!! That did it for me...going to buy it! - Thanks!

Back