Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

don't get nervous, I tried with the end papers again today and it was easier to do this time than the first time.

how much did you pay for your flexirods? i'm trying to find somewhere that sells them in bulk.

I'm getting nervous after reading these posts. I went out and bought 8 packs of flexi rods. I'm about to attempt my first one now.

I just did the worst rollerset of my life! i'm sooooo mad right now.
I was reading a blog and it was saying to make sure to use end papers because they protect your ends from the hot clips.
now normally I stay FAAAAR away from end papers because of past bad experiences with them.

so today I decided to try at them again, I go to sally's buy the jumbo end papers, wash, condition and proceed with the rollerset.

as I thought my hair is not smooth on the rollers, when I was trying to apply the end papers some of the hair would fall out of it, I couldn't fold them on some of the sections, just a nightmare, so i'm under the dryer anticipating a bad outcome or frizzy f'd up ends and ripply hair because some of the strands are not smooth and I refused to try to smooth them, how could I smooth them anyway with the darn end papers.

so ladies stay away from end papers!

To the bold, I use end papers will all of my rollersets. They actually help smooth the ends and makes it easier to grasp any shorter hairs. Personally I would never do a wet set without end papers.

yeah I am drying my set now, and I used the end papers again, I guess it takes getting use to since i've never used them.

But your right they really do smooth those ends even better than when I smooth them on the roller without them.

so I guess i'll keep using them, as I tell others practice will have to make perfect eventually using the end papers.

So I retract the stay away from end papers comment :grin:
I was typing while under the influence of rollerset rage :lachen:

[/B]

To the bold, I use end papers will all of my rollersets. They actually help smooth the ends and makes it easier to grasp any shorter hairs. Personally I would never do a wet set without end papers.

I remember back in the day when my mama and'em would use end papers when setting with (can't remember the name - the wire type rollers that had the brush inside) ....

hmmm....I may have to give them a try again...

Now I'm really getting anxious for wash day to try this end paper thing.

Are you folding the end paper on the ends of the hair the way we would do if we were using the mesh rollers?

i'm gonna try to take pics for example and put them up tomorrow.

I fold my paper above the ends, smooth the exposed ends onto the roller then pull the end paper to cover the whole end then I roll up.

i'm sure others may do it differently.

for me for some reason I can't get the papers on the middle nape area right (it's always that last roller in the middle section), so today I just didn't put the end paper on that piece.

Now I'm really getting anxious for wash day to try this end paper thing.

Are you folding the end paper on the ends of the hair the way we would do if we were using the mesh rollers?

Hey ladies! I have a question. I tried my first flexi rod set and it was not too great. I think I may have used too much Narobi foam wrap. My curls were too tight and crunchy. And two days later, my hair is hard and when I touch it, long pieces are coming out. The ends are tangled and I have some single strand knots. I plan to detangle well and cowash today. Hopefully this won't be a set back for me.

How do you ladies get soft flexi curls with a little hold. Also, what's the best method for separating the curls. I've watched Gabbana girl(sp?) and lots of other Youtube videos, but mine did not come out so great:-( thanks in advance!

I used purple flexirods on dry hair.

2v3g35x.jpg

33cokdc.jpg

5y6c6r.jpg

Salarisma,
What size rods did you use? If your curls are too tight you might need to go up in size. The crunchiness might have been due to the Nairobi. Did you use any oil?

I tend to use a lot of product when I do my sets and they still come out bouncy and shiny. I don't get much hold though. For my last one (above) I airdried my hair w/Giovanni leave-in, BB Oil moisturizer, and CoCasta oil. Then I put in the rods.

Salarisma,
What size rods did you use? If your curls are too tight you might need to go up in size. The crunchiness might have been due to the Nairobi. Did you use any oil?

I tend to use a lot of product when I do my sets and they still come out bouncy and shiny. I don't get much hold though. For my last one (above) I airdried my hair w/Giovanni leave-in, BB Oil moisturizer, and CoCasta oil. Then I put in the rods.

I used red flexi rods. I've never thought about using them on dry hair! I was hoping for small crazy spirals, but big and poofy too. I don't know if that makes sense? Based on what you used, I may have erred by opting to moisturize after the set was dry?

i've noticed that people seperate them with oil on their fingertips to eliminate frizz and breakage.

when you seperate them twirl them around your finger (index) so that they stay in the formation of the way you curled them.

use less product see if that works, if not switch to a leave in instead of wrapping lotions.

Hey ladies! I have a question. I tried my first flexi rod set and it was not too great. I think I may have used too much Narobi foam wrap. My curls were too tight and crunchy. And two days later, my hair is hard and when I touch it, long pieces are coming out. The ends are tangled and I have some single strand knots. I plan to detangle well and cowash today. Hopefully this won't be a set back for me.

How do you ladies get soft flexi curls with a little hold. Also, what's the best method for separating the curls. I've watched Gabbana girl(sp?) and lots of other Youtube videos, but mine did not come out so great:-( thanks in advance!

I would like to join this challenge.

1. What rollers will you be using? Large magnetic rollers.
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.) A light leave in.
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Health and length.
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)? I will not blow dry.
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Bonnet dryer
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc) Large tooth comb, fine tooth comb, roller end paper.

Checking in!
I've been rollersetting my hair every week, even though I guess I suck at checking in. The sets have been coming out well though and I've been happy with them.

But this week...:nono:
This week, I did a pretty crummy job. I did a bad job diluting my lottabody, so my hair came out kind of crunchy. I also did a bad job when I was drying my hair under my hood dryer...I didn't modulate the heat correctly, so I stayed too long on high. So my hair came out dry-ish AND crunchy. So of course, combing it out afterwards was almost nightmarish...just random knots everywhere. :wallbash:
I moisturized my hair thoroughly and wrapped it up, so I think it'll be fine.

But next week, I'm going back to basics...I went home for three weeks, and during that time, I was using plain water mixed with conditioner for my sets and they came out great. So that's what I'm going to go back to doing. No more lottabody for a while. And I need to get back into the swing of using my hood dryer correctly.

ETA: I took my hair out of the wrap, and no..it was not okay. It was even worse than before.
I'm under my steamer now, DCing again. I don't like to DC two days in a row, but I couldn't just let that mess sit atop my head.
I'm going to rollerset again after I'm done with the DC, but no lottabody and on low heat.

Last edited:
I recorded myself doing my rollers. As soon as my DH puts it together because i ran out of memory is abt 20 mins :nono:...I will show you guys...but please don't laugh at all my funny faces and when i almost knocked them off my head:lachen:

^^ Thanks giselle. Can't wait to see it.

@choasbutterfly: You are a trooper for going at it again the next day!!!

What happened when you took the wrap down? How is it possible that it was that bad?

I used red flexi rods. I've never thought about using them on dry hair! I was hoping for small crazy spirals, but big and poofy too. I don't know if that makes sense? Based on what you used, I may have erred by opting to moisturize after the set was dry?

I agree with LHL, you might need to switch to a leave-in instead of the Nairobi. That may make your set come out more moisturized. Using them on dry hair is another option as long as your hair stays smooth while drying. Let us know how your next one comes out.

So I finally took my braids and I washed, DCed and roller set. I put up a picture. I am still practicing to set wet hair.

Attachments

• Rollerset.jpg
    Rollerset.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 38
yeah I think this past week has been crummy rollerset week :lachen: don't worry your not alone :)

I finally noticed myself that you get crunchy sets from high heat.

sorry you had to start over,

Checking in!
I've been rollersetting my hair every week, even though I guess I suck at checking in. The sets have been coming out well though and I've been happy with them.

But this week...:nono:
This week, I did a pretty crummy job. I did a bad job diluting my lottabody, so my hair came out kind of crunchy. I also did a bad job when I was drying my hair under my hood dryer...I didn't modulate the heat correctly, so I stayed too long on high. So my hair came out dry-ish AND crunchy. So of course, combing it out afterwards was almost nightmarish...just random knots everywhere. :wallbash:
I moisturized my hair thoroughly and wrapped it up, so I think it'll be fine.

But next week, I'm going back to basics...I went home for three weeks, and during that time, I was using plain water mixed with conditioner for my sets and they came out great. So that's what I'm going to go back to doing. No more lottabody for a while. And I need to get back into the swing of using my hood dryer correctly.

ETA: I took my hair out of the wrap, and no..it was not okay. It was even worse than before.
I'm under my steamer now, DCing again. I don't like to DC two days in a row, but I couldn't just let that mess sit atop my head.
I'm going to rollerset again after I'm done with the DC, but no lottabody and on low heat.

^^ Thanks giselle. Can't wait to see it.

@choasbutterfly: You are a trooper for going at it again the next day!!!

What happened when you took the wrap down? How is it possible that it was that bad?

When I took off my scarf, my hair was really dull..that was the first sign, because normally, my wraps are shiny.
Then, I started combing, and I could hear the comb going through my hair...making that...scritching sound. It was even rougher and dryer than yesterday. :nono:
And when I ran my fingers through my hair, it felt like I was playing in some dry, old, savannah grass. :blush:
It was BAD!

The good news is that the new rollerset is done and is much better than yesterday's. I'm gonna go silk wrap it now and that'll be that for the rest of the week, amen. :spinning:

Sounds like you need a different leave in conditioner. It's just a suggestion but you may want to try spraying some oil sheen or touching in some moisturizer before you come out.

Back