Relaxer Stretchers Support Thread

i'm 16 weeks post now....how in the world are you guys dealing with tangles???

LOTS AND LOTS OF conditioner with slip is how I am dealing with it....I co-wash a few times a week and only detangle under the stream of water in the shower....

I'm at 9 weeks. I've got at least 11 more weeks to go. I'll let my hair tell me when it's time to retouch. My usual is 12-16 weeks but I decided to go longer this time.

LOTS AND LOTS OF conditioner with slip is how I am dealing with it....I co-wash a few times a week and only detangle under the stream of water in the shower....

Can you please recommend one of these conditioners? I'll be doing more co-washes as the stretch goes on and I'm trying to find a good conditioner to use.

mrsrobertson2005,
can you give me the names of some of those condi's with slip? I'm 26 weeks post stretching/transitioning and struggling :wallbash: with tangles. I currently use herbal essence Hello Hydration which is great but it would be nice to have more in the arsenal.

Thanks

i'm 16 weeks post now....how in the world are you guys dealing with tangles???

I don't...:grin:. I simply wear a lot of extended protective styles like braids and cornrows. I am attempting a 32 week stretch this time and I KNOW I can't do it without a little help. I still condition and deep condition once a week to keep my roots soft. I spray my special blend of ayurveda powders and oils moisture mister on my roots daily as well and massage it in through the cornrows/braids.

When I am not in braids/cornrows, I do quite a bit of deep conditioning, it helps tremendously in keeping the roots very soft. I'd recommend not leaving out the protein treatments as they help the hair to retain moisture better. If you ladies have not tried pre-pooing with a hot oil treatment and under the dryer for 15 minutes, then I'd recommend that as well. I do this step before washing with shampoo and just before I add in my deep conditioner. Works like a charm:yep::lick:.

Can you please recommend one of these conditioners? I'll be doing more co-washes as the stretch goes on and I'm trying to find a good conditioner to use.

mrsrobertson2005,
can you give me the names of some of those condi's with slip? I'm 26 weeks post stretching/transitioning and struggling :wallbash: with tangles. I currently use herbal essence Hello Hydration which is great but it would be nice to have more in the arsenal.

Thanks

I'm only 15 weeks post, the following products have great slip for me hopefully they'll be great for you as well....currently in my rotation:
Suave Humectant (great slip)
Garnier Fructis Wonder Waves (great slip, creeping up on being a fav)
V05 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit (ok slip but great moisture)

I've tried a few but these are the ones I'm stuck on..HTH

Last edited:
I'm only 15 weeks post, the following products have great slip for me hopefully they'll be great for you as well....currently in my rotation:

Thanks mrsrobertson2005, the PJ:grin: in me will pick up these two
for my co-wash next friday. thanks

I will be 7 months post next week friday and i have 22 weeks to go! This is going to be a ride! But i have my seat belt on and im ready to go!

I don't...:grin:. I simply wear a lot of extended protective styles like braids and cornrows. I am attempting a 32 week stretch this time and I KNOW I can't do it without a little help. I still condition and deep condition once a week to keep my roots soft. I spray my special blend of ayurveda powders and oils moisture mister on my roots daily as well and massage it in through the cornrows/braids.

When I am not in braids/cornrows, I do quite a bit of deep conditioning, it helps tremendously in keeping the roots very soft. I'd recommend not leaving out the protein treatments as they help the hair to retain moisture better. If you ladies have not tried pre-pooing with a hot oil treatment and under the dryer for 15 minutes, then I'd recommend that as well. I do this step before washing with shampoo and just before I add in my deep conditioner. Works like a charm:yep::lick:.

I tried warm amla oil which is pretty good for slip, but I haven't tried it b4 my d/c....will try that next time....thanks....

Suave Humectant (great slip)--->I will try this one
Garnier Fructis Wonder Waves (great slip, creeping up on being a fav)--->I will have to google this....

Right now I'm using aussie conditioner for co washes...but after I wash it out I don't know how to deal. So I add my moisturizer and try to finger comb while damp as I lose too much hair trying to detangle in the shower under running water.....

When I washed yesterday I just finger comb damp...lost less hair that way..

Great! Thanks! I'm familiar with the Moisture Milks line but I'll try the others.

I been using Suave Humectant for the slip, but I'm going to have to try the Garnier Wonder Waves.

mrsrobertson2005,

Thanks

Anything Garnier. Real talk.

I'm 20 weeks but I'm thinking about relaxing this weekend. I haven't decided whether to do this or just do a henna/indigo treatment.:ohwell:

I'm having trouble stretching to my next texlax. It's not a big visible problem, but the very front line of my hair are short hairs like they broke off. not noticeable at all but DAMN! i remember when they were as long as my bangs.

And then i noticed my growth slowed down once I hit passed my shoulders. I know my hair is growing but my ends are becoming split more than it did last year. I was wrapping my hair every night for like 3 months but i didnt see a difference it was making.

I'm struggling this time around too for some reason. This is my 3rd 12 week stretch but my hair is breaking something fierce. My ayurveda powers and henna seem to have it in check and I've been loose wrapping my hair with my fingers at night. I'm only 10 weeks with 2 to go!:wallbash:

Ladies, this is the first time that I have reached 8 weeks and don't have any problems. I am still a newbie at this stretching so I add a week each time in order to slowly ween myself off of the relaxer and it's been working great. I am at 8 weeks and you would think I am at 5 weeks into it. I definitely could go another month. My hair isn't breaking and although you can see my new growth at the crown, it's manageable. I think all the co washing has caused my hair texture to soften up. It's not as course as it used to be and it's maintaining a natural shine. Normally, it would be dry and breaking the farther I get past my normal relax time. Thanks ladies for all of your help and support through this thread. I can set my stretching goals a little higher now.

8 weeks in with 12 more weeks to go!:perplexed
No problems with breakage yet and I am surprised because I am now working with three textures: new growth, texturized hair and bone straight ends. I have been DC'ing with Aphogee 2 min faithfully every week, so I think that in addition to my cowashing is keeping breakage at the line of demarcation in check.

I'm having trouble stretching to my next texlax. It's not a big visible problem, but the very front line of my hair are short hairs like they broke off. not noticeable at all but DAMN! i remember when they were as long as my bangs.

And then i noticed my growth slowed down once I hit passed my shoulders. I know my hair is growing but my ends are becoming split more than it did last year. I was wrapping my hair every night for like 3 months but i didnt see a difference it was making.

I'm starting to really enjoy wrapping. I love the slick and smooth results that I get, but I know it's not something that I can do every day - too much combing and brushing for my liking.

I'm only 7/8 weeks in and my hair still seems really manageable! Another 12 weeks to go!

I am 14 weeks post. My goal was to stretch as long as possible, until the demarcation line couldn't deal anymore.

Last edited:
Hey fellow stretchers! I am fourteen weeks post (I usually stretch 12). I would really like some braids, as I exercise and sweat heavily daily. But braids are so expensive now... why? Right now, I'm trying to find some young person in the area that could do them for a discounted price (child slave labor).

I have a new regimen. I do not co-wash anymore, and I use a lot of natural things now (with the exception of my relaxer and neutralizing shampoo).

1. Detangle and oil hair with coconut or olive oil.
2. "Wash" with Kitty litter or Bentonite Clay mixture. Sit for 20-40 minutes and rinse.
3. Apply Aubrey GPB Conditioner and condition for 15 minutes.
4. Use black tea (Bigelow Vanilla Chai) as a final rinse.
5. Airdry or roller set. (I actually don't need moisturizers but sometimes I use a natural butter or lotion).

There have been times where I have gone several months without a touch-up. My advice is to co-wash, wear loose buns, or just leave your hair alone. HTH

Hey Ladies..
I've been looking for a thread like this one.. I'm currently at 5 wks and I'm planning on going until 9 wks.. ( i know. not much but i usually don't dare step foot over 6-7 wks)
I will keep checking this out out for tips and encouragement. :)

Back