Relaxer Stretchers Support Thread

I cant get on as much right now due to work hours, but I will be 27 weeks post and I am starting to have a hard time dealing with this mess. I am soooo tempted to just go ahead and relax now.........I am getting box braids on 21 March just let me make it until then andd I will be good to go. I am trying to stretch until Dec which will be about 65 weeks post. I was doing 2 mos in braids and 3 weeks out but I think I am going to change that to 2 weeks out cause I am manipulating toooo much.

If anyone has suggestions PM me please I need all the advice can get.

Ooh, please post pics. :yep:

Yeah, I love her pics. :yep:

This depends LE on whether you are protective styling or not. I know this one thing makes a huge difference especially when it comes to manipulating it less and less to avoid those knots. Or you can do what Butterfly08 has done - and straighten the ends a bit and see if that will help take out the knots. Have you tried using some kind of porosity control yet? That might help too.

Good points. I have thought about wearing it straight from this point on. But with this postpartum shedding, I feel like I should be manipulating it as little as possible. I'll try it anyway. My most successful stretch, I did Butterfly's regimen the last 12 weeks, and my hair thrived. I'll return to that.

3 months is still very, very good. :yep: What has your regimen been? Perhaps try tweaking it first, and if the ng keeps winning, go ahead and relax and reassess your strategy for the next stretch.

Yeah, Butterfly, I'm gonna do some tweaking first. I was using little to no heat the first 12 weeks. I was prepooing, washin, DCing with heat once a week. Wore it out very little, and wore it in loose buns. That's pretty much it. I may go back to rollersetting and flat-ironing the roots for the next few weeks to see how far I can go without a relaxer.

I want to give my hairline a break, and its been recovering so steadily, I don't want to mess with it.

13 weeks post and still in a sewin. (4 weeks for the sewin) I want to wear this for 3-4 more weeks and get another install.

But--first I have have to order more EP hair--14 in this time :woot:

I'm heading into week 12 next week. This is the first time I've stretched....
But, thanks to this board I'm able to maintain because of my new found style of braid outs. I'm going for 16 weeks, if I am still able to maintain once 16 hits I'll try to go a bit longer maybe 18 weeks maybe 24 weeks...we'll see!!!

First pic is a few days after the relaxer the other pic is today with braid outs...

Happy Growing Ladies!

Attachments

• n645587381_1700030_1846.jpg
    n645587381_1700030_1846.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 7
  • PICT0025.jpg
    PICT0025.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 9
I am in my 30th week and OMG! I have month old braids in and I am ready to take these out, OUT, OUT!!!!!!!!! I purchased a boat load of new products that I have been unable to use and I am sooooo thirsty to start trying these out. I would remove these braids this weekend, but I am travelling to Cali next week and I would hate to scare the locals with my seven months post hair (UNLESS, someone can give me some tips on a hairstyle that will be suitable after removing my braids-- 7 months post-relaxer hair)....

I cant really style my hair. Sick of doing rollersets.

I've been brushing it back into a sloppy ponytail/bun.

I also broke two hairclips yesterday trying to pin it up. Hair is so thick from stretching that it cant hold a hair clip.

I also broke two hairclips yesterday trying to pin it up. Hair is so thick from stretching that it cant hold a hair clip.

Dang, yeah I won't even attempt to do that it won't work out :nono: I'm almost 14 weeks post. After seeing that braid out thread I'm going to try that this weekend hopefully it works out and lasts for a few days. Bunning is getting ridiculously boring.

I've noticed that that I should get a retouch when regardless of my patience and conditioner, my ends just won't act right and I begin to see shedding.

My goal was 24 weeks
Retouch in 18 weeks next weekend

Hopefully I'm BSL :lick:

Last edited:
yall making me feel bad.... I'm almost 9 wks post and griping becos of my ng and I knoooo I don't have half as much as you long stretchers do! *zips up mouth*

19 weeks post! Relaxing next Sat!! :woohoo:

I had a rough moment a week ago but I made it through. :yep: I made BSL and I can't wait to see it straight! :up:

Congrats on your stretch!!! :weird:

Just stick with it and you'll get through. I just finished a 24-week stretch a few weeks ago myself, and it was pretty good. I only relaxed my hair 3 times last year!

What I do:
  • Remind myself each day that stretching is good for my hair.
  • Never give in to relaxer temptation around week 14.:naughty: :lol:
  • Liberal use of S-Curl (or any other excellent moisturizer that works with your hair)
  • Remember to keep up with protein treatments to keep the line of demarcation strong!!!! Very important.
  • Rollersetting. Period.
  • Avoid combing the new growth. I use my fingers and hands to style my hair, and just smooth the top with a comb or the side of a brush.
  • Frequent washes (at least once a week) alternating a shampoo with a conditioner wash.
  • Phony ponies are my dear friends! :love: I hardly have to style my hair at all. This greatly reduces manipulation and protects the hair. I always baggy my ends.
That's all I can think of for now, but I hope it helps. :up:

What protein treatmeants do you guys use and how do you apply it? Section by section? I'm at 8 weeks and my new growth is COURSE. I'm thinking about shea butter to to soften it.

i'm a 4b relaxed.

On Tuesday I couldn't pull my hair back into a bun so I slapped a headband in and it looked like a big bushy braidout. What a bad hair day. My last stretch--trouble didn't start happening until that last week. I'm thinking it's because I have more new growth this time around. I'm attempting to go for an additional 6 weeks.

I am 8 weeks post relaxer and getting ready to remove this sew-in but will be putting in braids or cornrows almost straight away to stretch at least another 4-6 weeks before I relax. I'll see if I can make it to 16 weeks but not making any promises.

I'm 11 wks post. These pics were taken sometime between weeks 8-10.

DSC00202.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

Week 31 and counting. I took out my braids yesterday and pre-pood overnight with WEN Sweet Almond Mint CC mixed with WEN moisture intense and sealed with coconut oil. I will rinse and wash/DC using the Crown and Glory method later today. I will finish with a braid-out and hopefully, I will be fit to be out in the public :-)

^^^LOL.

19 weeks and one day. Yes I am counting down until I relax next week.

Shay your hair is really coming in.
Yeah I think when it gets that close you do count down :grin:! I think because I know a little more this time around my growth may have picked up this time.

No more going this long:nono: I will only do 12-18 weeks at a time.:yep:
We all have to do what is best for our own hair.

16 weeks! :yay: I still haven't taken out my braids yet but I'll probably do it within the next few days.
Great job!

Just completed my 13week stretch. I am so pleased with the results. Check my fotki for updated shots..Ready to embark upon another 13weeks!!! Stretching is wonderful....keep up the good work ladies:yep:

I've been increasing my stretches in small increments. I recently went 18 weeks and Daneen said for me to keep it up. :yep: I'll try to go 20 weeks this time since I'm getting a wig but from now on I will never get a relaxer any sooner than every 3 months.

19 weeks post! Relaxing next Sat!! :woohoo:

I had a rough moment a week ago but I made it through. :yep: I made BSL and I can't wait to see it straight! :up:

YAY! Congrats on making BSL :congrats: that is what I'm aiming for by next relaxer.

I'm 14 weeks post. I am getting discouraged b/c even when I Chi, my hair doesn't seem to have grown much but I KNOW it has :(

I had a minor hair detangling crisis one day earlier this month. I lost way more hair than I ever had on wash day. . .so many knots and tangles!!! I think that was bc I was sick and I kept it bunned up for weeks. . .and that damn APhogee 2 min!!!! It's always made my hair a lil more tangled than usual but it was never really that bad to where I couldn't handle it. It all worked out after HOURS, thank God I have tons of hair and it's thick. But I still lost hair, panicked and it spooked me. (ETA- Thanks Gloom for being there for me!) I'm leaving that 2 min alone for awhile to see if that was the culprit. I have a feeling I can't use it while stretching past 12 weeks :nono:

Garnier Fructis is the best thing for my hair when it comes to stretching. Wash day with Garnier Strength n Repair shampoo/condish and some kind of moisturizing DC. I will use my Aphogee green tea/pro-vitamin leave in or something for more protein. I've been using GF as of late and the knots/tangles just melt or slip right out no problems. Breakage also has been minimized a whole lot. I also flat iron on wash day. It helps my hair from getting all wildly tangled. Now, I feel like I can stretch til summer if I wanted to. It's really almost that effortless.

I'll only be using Garnier from week 9 and on. Sorry my beloved Redken. . .I think after I'm done with you, you will be replaced :)

Last edited:
OH and I have a question. . . .how do you ladies blowdry and/or flat iron your hair for best results while stretching? I mean, like step by step please :ohwell:

I think I'm doing something wrong. . .and my roots agree with me b/c they refuse to stay sleek n straight for all the tea in China! :lachen:

Thanks MissNina. I had a major detangling crisis a couple weeks ago too and I learned that after week 16 I have to detangle slowly on slightly damp hair. I thought wet covered with con in the shower would work, but it didn't. I too was scared at how much hair was coming out and I wasn't making any progress with the tangles. A lot of it was because I had been cwing and bunning w/o combing all the way through. :look:

Regarding straightening, I really think good tools help a lot. I have a FHI dryer and flat iron and they work better than any of my cheaper tools ever did. All I need is one pass. I do let the iron sit on my roots for a few seconds, then slowly slide it down the rest of my hair. I release it before I get to my ends though. :yep:

OH and I have a question. . . .how do you ladies blowdry and/or flat iron your hair for best results while stretching? I mean, like step by step please :ohwell:

I think I'm doing something wrong. . .and my roots agree with me b/c they refuse to stay sleek n straight for all the tea in China! :lachen:

I do NEITHER during my stretches. I simply bun every day. I make sure to spritz the roots with my wet leave-in (DooGro LeaveIn Growth Treatment or Giovanni VitaPro Fusion), then I apply my creamy leave-in (BB Oil Moisturizer). I put hair in a bun and tie down with a silk/satin scarf. The roots lay down nice enough to make the bun look good.:yep: I only use heat every 13weeks for touch up & length check.:yep:

Regarding straightening, I really think good tools help a lot. I have a FHI dryer and flat iron and they work better than any of my cheaper tools ever did. All I need is one pass. I do let the iron sit on my roots for a few seconds, then slowly slide it down the rest of my hair. I release it before I get to my ends though. :yep:

Thanks girlie. Yeah, I think this is true. I have a CHI and I just bought this Tressemme (sp) blow dryer on sale at Ulta. It's pretty damn good. I like it a lot for what. . .$25 lol. Plus it lights up blue a little and looks really cool :giggle: I just have an issue getting my hair too dry and fluffy when I blowdry. Tonight it went better and it turned out much sleeker than ever.

I don't like blow drying and flat ironing but it MUST be done past week 12. Sometimes I let it airdry and then flat iron. I think I might start doing that and just blowing out the roots.

Back