Relaxer Stretchers Support Thread

8.5 weeks post. I usually relax at around 4 weeks so this is a big deal for me. I am not sure how much longer I am going to go, it gets tougher and tougher every week. I may relax this weekend, if not I probably will not go longer than 10 weeks. Maybe next time I will try for longer.

28 weeks post. In kinky twists at the moment. will TRY to do a year, if I can't make it I will relax or texlax at 40.

Right now I'm 11 weeks post. My question is how do you successfully stretch a relaxer without breakage? Can someone give me a breakdown like:

Week 1-12 Wash once a week...etc
Week12-24: Wash hair twice a month...etc..

Thanks,
Kiki82

I stretched for 17.5 weeks last time. My first time ever doing this. In the past I would relax at 6-8 weeks. The two things that made a huge difference for me was cowashing and dc's. Right now no matter how far I am into a stretch:

co-wash 1x/wkly
wash 1x/wkly
dc 3x/wkly (1 time on dry hair)

New growth was not an issue. I gained about 2 inches last time (about 1/2 inch a month). To be honest I can not tell difference between the two textures into far into the stretch. It really did not become an issue until 1-2 days before I relaxed.

Hi I have been stretching for 7 months...

But now I am kinda torn. I love my curls, (my stylist has never relaxed my hair bone straight)...but also I don't want to big chop. I want to transition to a texturizer, I think there will be different textures but not that bad b/c my hair already isn't bone straight.
I was only planning on stretching for 6 months so I know I need to decide...

What do you guys think??

Right now I'm 11 weeks post. My question is how do you successfully stretch a relaxer without breakage? Can someone give me a breakdown like:

Week 1-12 Wash once a week...etc
Week12-24: Wash hair twice a month...etc..

Thanks,
Kiki82

I am new here but I have lurking for a long time also I am accustomed to stretching as I have always done it.

Anyhow for me what works is co-washing everyday. Not necessarily in the beginning (first 1-3 months) but definitely after that. I am 7 months post and if didnt co-wash I would be losing hair everywhere. For you I think it is important to discover what your hair likes (braidouts co-washing, blowouts etc.) and stick to it.

I hope I was clear and this helped.

Hi Ladies. I am 29 weeks post and I just had to get my hair braided!! Sadly, I was told by my future stylist that my hair needed a few more months before going to a texturizer so it looks like I will have to stretch to June!!! OMG!!!! My sister is getting married at the end of March, so I will take out my braids then get a Nioxin dermabrasion scalp tx, then wash, dc, and flat iron. After this, I'll probably wig or weave it til June....

I want to switch to a texturizer too!!! are your currently relaxed bone straight?? what hair type are you?? Did your stylist say this so that by June you will have more new growth??

I'll be 11 weeks post and I'm finding this stretch soooooooo much easier than my last one. I lost so much hair during that one :nono: I've been finding out a lot about my hair lately.

What is helping me is very, VERY low manipulation. I am only washing every 2 weeks now and detangling that wash day only. Once a week (once I'm done being sick) I'm going to be co-washing my hair and DCing along with that so I don't have to moisturize outside of that day until wash day. NO DETANGLING. I'm still bunning/half wigging 24/7.

Detangling once every 2 weeks I think is the key for me. Detangling on dry hair has been a hair saver!

As long as I can limit the amount of times I touch it, the better.

I am now 5 months post. Doesn't seem my grays are going to come in anytime soon, so I'll be touching up next month (month 6). If they magically appear before then, then it will be BC time!! This is my second longest stretch ever!

I'm stretching for six months too. I plan to get braids next week so I can avoid the temptation to cut or perm. This is my second time stretching for this length of time.

I want to switch to a texturizer too!!! are your currently relaxed bone straight?? what hair type are you?? Did your stylist say this so that by June you will have more new growth??

Yup. Bone straight...but my hair does not like relaxers, so I need to "down-grade". It was recommended that I wait until June because I still needed to add elasticy to my hair before switching to another chemical process. So I will be using the complete Aphogee line with a good moisturizing DC to give my hair the strength it needs

Miss Nina--Good point about low manipulation. I'm a bunner. I air dry. I rarely flat iron or blow dry.

Yup. Bone straight...but my hair does not like relaxers, so I need to "down-grade". It was recommended that I wait until June because I still needed to add elasticy to my hair before switching to another chemical process. So I will be using the complete Aphogee line with a good moisturizing DC to give my hair the strength it needs

Good luck!!! are you doing to BC?? I dont want to... I think I will slowly cut off my straighter ends.

Well it's official, my stylist isn't available until Mar 28. :ohwell: So I have to tack another 3 weeks to my stretch. I'll be 17 weeks on Fri and 20 weeks on relaxer day. :ohwell:

I'm hanging in there, not too bad. The cowashing keeps it under control. :whip: I'm just anxious to let my hair swang....:look:

I am at 12 weeks post (13 this Saturday) and I swear I have a secret weapon. Today my good friend asked me if I got a relaxer because girlfriend my hair is silky and straight. How did I do it? I put a little castor oil on my roots while hair was wet/damp. Just part hair, large drop of castor (I have an applicator bottle) on fingers and spread on new growth. Then, Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 (only buy this from Sallys not the cheap BSS) on the rest of my hair down to ends. I ponytail rollerset and flat ironed roots only on medium setting and my hair looks divine. DO NOT knock this one until you try it. I am sold. I know I can stretch my longest ever at least 17 weeks. My hair is still moisturized and tangle free after 3 days. And the shine is ultra ridiculous!

Don't go crazy with the castor...just a little does the job! I only put castor oil on my roots while wet/damp not on dry hair. If you flat iron, always use heat protectant and use the lowest setting that you can stand. This method worked great when I airdried with a scarf too. Hair was FLAT! There is something about castor oil ya'll...

Well I'm 17.5 weeks and I am going to have to start using heat. I had a major detangling session yesterday while my hair was wet, covered with conditioner and using a wide tooth seamless comb. I'm going to have to use heat to smooth down the cuticle and make detangling easier for these last 3 weeks, because I can't take another detangling session like this last one. :nono: Either that, or cornrows. :look:

Still, I did good considering I have only used heat 2 - 3 times over this past 17 weeks. :clap:

Still, I did good considering I have only used heat 2 - 3 times over this past 17 weeks. :clap:
You sure did :grin:!

I will be 10 weeks post this week and trying to stretch to 17 (May 1st). I was contemplating 25 (July 1st) but I'm starting to get lazy with my hair and that can get scary when stretching.

I am debating whether I should relax at 3 months, which is soon, or go for another 6-month stretch.

Postpartum shedding has been attacking my ends, with fine knots at the ends.

I don't know which will be worse, stretching it or relaxing it...what do you ladies think?

Hmm well due to a underprocessing snafu, I think I may be investing in a half wig. Hairsisters.com, here I come....

I am debating whether I should relax at 3 months, which is soon, or go for another 6-month stretch.

I don't know which will be worse, stretching it or relaxing it...what do you ladies think?

This depends LE on whether you are protective styling or not. I know this one thing makes a huge difference especially when it comes to manipulating it less and less to avoid those knots. Or you can do what Butterfly08 has done - and straighten the ends a bit and see if that will help take out the knots. Have you tried using some kind of porosity control yet? That might help too.

Well I'm 17.5 weeks and I am going to have to start using heat. I had a major detangling session yesterday while my hair was wet, covered with conditioner and using a wide tooth seamless comb. I'm going to have to use heat to smooth down the cuticle and make detangling easier for these last 3 weeks, because I can't take another detangling session like this last one. :nono: Either that, or cornrows. :look:

Darn girl, I really wished I could stretch consistently as long as you and LadyEsquire does. I can successfully at 12 weeks but after that, my hair just acts all freaky:spinning:.

My new growth is trying to challenge me. It really is. I HATED my hair yesterday. I was so mad. It will not win. I changed things along the way during the last stretch that are being fully implemented for this entire stretch (no heat, no combing except on wash days, bunning). It is making it a bit difficult. I gotta up the co-washing to 2x/wk. My hair lays flat but it is hiding a forest. I just needed to vent a bit. I'm good to go now :)!

I'm going on 15 weeks now.:yay: Still in braids but will probably henna after I remove them, wait a few weeks, and then braid it back up. Striving for a 6 month stretch (May 22) but may continue stretching depending on the results.

I will be 14wks this friday and thats my goal date so i am relaxing this mess cant wait, next time around i am going for 16wks and that will be my limit.

3 months is still very, very good. :yep: What has your regimen been? Perhaps try tweaking it first, and if the ng keeps winning, go ahead and relax and reassess your strategy for the next stretch.

Darn girl, I really wished I could stretch consistently as long as you and LadyEsquire does. I can successfully at 12 weeks but after that, my hair just acts all freaky:spinning:.

I know what you mean. :yep: I really have little choice as my fav stylist is 3 hours away and I refuse to take a risk with someone else. So I have to go on a Saturday that she has a morning slot open. It forces me to learn to deal with my ng. :spinning:

My hair lays flat but it is hiding a forest. I just needed to vent a bit. I'm good to go now :)!

I can sooooooooooooooooo relate!!! :lol:

Well i'll be 16 wks post tomorrow. My stylist will be trimming and flat ironing it for me. Eight more weeks to go...

Good luck!!! are you doing to BC?? I dont want to... I think I will slowly cut off my straighter ends.

Thanks a lot!! I will need lots of luck 'n prayer with this endeavor!! No BC for me....I have a younger brother that I look a lot a like, if I were to BC, my family would mistake me for him:lachen:!!!

But, no, I will wait until I hit Full APL before cutting off all of the relaxed ends.....

Good luck to you and happy haor growing!!

Checking in at 20 Weeks Post today.

I'm getting a relaxer next week with some layers. CANNOT WAIT!!

My hair doesnt look like its grown much because of the shrinkage. Anxious to see how much progress i have.

Back