Relaxed Ladies: Why do you stretch??

nazjha

We all know the typical benefit of stretching, such as less chance of overlapping previously relaxed hair which prevents damage and weakening hair strands further.

But my question to you guys is why do YOU personally stretch. Is it because everyone else does it so you said why not, are you trying to transition, you want fuller thicker hair, the longer you wait to relax the more of a surprise your new length is or what??

As well as after your stretch what goals do yo plan on reaching.

I am just curious because with me my personal goal is thickness. I have an **cough cough* addiction :Blush2: to beautiful thick/full hair. This is my ultimate goal!!! And I would like to know you guys reasons.

But all in all HHG :grin:

My reason is exactly what you said--hair exposed to relaxer less often and those parts that are overlapped aren't overlapped every 6 weeks, but rather every few months.

Also, when I was going to a stylist for relaxers, I liked not spending $70+ so often, but every few months instead.

Early in my HHJ, I used to stretch my touchups but not anymore. I'm a DIYer and do my own touchups every 7-8 weeks.

My reason, at that time, for stretching was to minimize chances of relaxer overlap onto previously-processed strands, leading to thinner hair. But now since I put a protective coating on my ends, coupled with texlaxing(intentionally undeprocessing), I have plenty thickness. So, I don't see the need to stretch.

because im lazy :ohwell: lol i was suppossed to get a relaxer 2wks ago but it never happened...so now im on an unintentional 13week stretch lol

I stretch because i like seeing the difference in length, its a nice surprise :) and coupled with the fact that it stops overlapping i guess thats a win win . I'm currently itching to relax just so i see if my hair has actualy grown!

I wanted to get thickness but it is only thick while wet and air drying. By the time I flat iron it's the same old thinness. Then if I roller set its all puffy not the thickness I was looking for. So it ends up in a thin ponytail. When i tried texlaxing i was getting confused with where to place relaxer so i left that alone. Well even if I am not achieving thickness it has to be a little better for hair not relaxing so often. I would like to transition but lordy these edges and the kitchen in the back!!

Before I could only stretch to nine weeks. Nowadays I can go 15-18 weeks. I learned how to manage my new growth now. Once it becomes to much, I relax. I asses on a weekly basics. If I set a date and that week come, if I can still manage it, I keep it moving.

I actually hate getting a fresh relaxer...ugh helmet hair everytime! But the best reason is because I get lazy. I like volume in my hair and my ultimate goal is to get a relaxer 3 times a year. The obvious health benefits as well is why I stretch.

Other women get a relaxer every month,I know that can't be healthy for your hair.

I have always been a stretcher, despite being told my hair would all break off as a result. I stretch because I like my new growth and enjoy wearing more natural-like hairstyles like twists and braids using only my hair. I also know that stretching is so much healthier for my hair. I haven't had a touch-up since last February and project my next TU to come in April or May.

A secondary reason I stretch, is because the only person I trust with my TUs lives 1,000 miles away. I relocate a lot and have yet to venture out to a new stylist, no matter where it is that I have lived. Next time I make it back home to Chicago, I will get a touch up, be it next month or in a few months from now.

Hair health and thickness. I love the contrast of doing my fresh relaxer slick hair styles all the way to my thick rollersets/braidouts when I'm 12 weeks post! :)

Because I can do it safely without loosing too much hair.

I don't care about having straight hair all the time, so I am happy to be nappy when my newgrowth starts showing.

I'm a self-relaxer and it takes me half a day for the relaxing process because I take my sweet time. I don't feel like dedicating that kind of time to my hair too often. I'm lazy.

I'm texlaxed and want to keep some texture to my hair so stretching prevents me from overlapping.

However, if stretching causes someone to get breakage then its best to go ahead and relax. Gotta listen to your hair first.

I stretch for thicker hair, less overlapping and since I started stretching, my hair is the longest it's ever been. I recently did a 5 month stretch and my hair started shedding like a dog. 4 months is my maximum from now on

I don't remember no more why I stretch. Must be all of above plus pure laziness, I guess. I'm usually an 4-6mths stretcher. This time it will be 7 mths, all just because I couldn't find my relaxer at my regular place. Only got determine to find it last weekend, so looks like next week I will relax.

I do want thicker hair and do want to know where to stop my relaxing application, with soo much ng makes that easier for me to determine.

Only thing stretching so long is that sometimes I get comments that I am old. :cry2: boo hoo. I have never done fancy hairstyles only the bun while out. Sometimes I get comments that ppl like it thinking I am natural, so all comments even outs eventually. hahaha. :lachen::lachen:
Later Divas!

It's less money for me to relax my hair 3-4x/year. Plus all my new growth + hair length used to get cut off when I went every 6-8 weeks - not worth it.

I like to stretch because it feels like my hair grew more. Also, I like the other benefits like my hair is thicker although I never experienced anything bad when I didn't stretch.

At first I stretched because a lot of LHCF ladies were doing it. I kept on stretching once I started getting great results, like thicker stronger hair.

Back